• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

Omega

Banned
Dakrsiders 1 was fun. I was not too fond of 2, opinions were mixed on GAF. I didn't even finish the game but apparently second half of the game becomes a shitty third person shooter

So I hear almost universally good things about Planescape: Torment. It sounds interesting but I have no experience with this format of RPG. I've never played Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter or any of that. Is there a "it's like X plus Y" example where I can get a frame of reference for what it's like before I take the plunge?

draetenth

Hmm, I don't think so. Planescape is pretty much in a league of it's own. It does play like a Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age game in that you can have a party of six. However, the game is all about the writing and dialogue and not about the combat. I think there probably only 2 instances at most where you even need to fight while you can run from the rest. You can just set the game on Easy difficulty since the combat doesn't mean anything. I really can't think of a game at the moment that is so focused on writing and basically ignoring the combat. Plus, the writing in the game is still among the best (if not the best) I've seen in videogames.

You can add stats on level up and this is definitely a game where you want to focus more on INT and WIS than any of the other stats. Not that the other stats can't be useful, but those two can get the most of the game because it's so heavy with the dialogue. You can handle some fights in the end non-violently if you have something like 20 INT and/or WIS (it's been awhile so I can't remember the exact number). Let your party members handle the combat if you must fight. You can even just set the game on Easy since the combat isn't the draw of the game.

Dsyndrome

How long does it usually take for GOG to answer support requests? Sent one to ask for a username change last week and only got the initial automated message with the ticket number since.

Anarkin

But people are saying that Humble Bundle sells GOG keys legitimately, so it's a weird slap in the face to them.

But Humble Bundle isn't selling GOG keys, except for the games published by CDPR. You can't buy e.g. System Shock 2 or Planescape: Torment GOG keys on Humble Bundle or anywhere else. The only place you can is gog.com and that's what they meant.

Tizoc

How is the GOG ver. of Stranger's Wrath compared to the Steam ver? Are they both up to date and run better now?

Uriah

Does anyone have experience with GOG support? I was charged for a game purchase, and the game failed to show up in my account. How long does it take them to respond typically? Hopefully, they aren't as slow as Steam.

MrFortyFive

Does anyone have experience with GOG support? I was charged for a game purchase, and the game failed to show up in my account. How long does it take them to respond typically? Hopefully, they aren't as slow as Steam.

Support resolved both problems I've ever had with GOG in less than 48 hours, but this was long before the launch of TW3 or the Galaxy beta so I bet they're swamped right now. Games not showing up on accounts is a known issue though and they just revamped the whole account/library page so I'm sure they'll address your issue fairly quickly.

If you haven't already tried it, try refreshing your account with this link:

https://www.gog.com/user/refresh

I think it helps with this kind of issue sometimes, but I think I might have read that it doesn't work with the new account system now. Not sure either way, still worth a shot.

Dineren

Banned

I received a Witcher 3 key from Nvidia for buying a 980 and emailed GoG to see if I could get a refund on the preorder I had placed a year ago. They had my refund to me in less than 10 minutes. Granted, I'm sure that's a best case scenario, but I could not have been happier with their support.

Card Boy

Banned
Just noticed Broken Age keys are being given to people that backed the game. Not sure if $15 donations get it but i got one for my $30.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lots of new releases today:

Serpent in the Staglands (Windows, Mac, Linux)
Ultimate General: Gettysburg (Windows)
Subject 13 (Windows, Mac)
Dragon Wars (Windows, Mac, Linux)

And even though it was posted on the main Gaming page a couple days ago, I'll mention it here since it hasn't been posted. Telltale is bringing their newer games to GOG starting with Game of Thrones (Windows)

Dragon Wars is an excellent game. Is basically The Bard's Tale 4 in everything but name. Began life as that, but they lost the rights. Funny thing is that despite the new title, the game doesn't actually have any dragons in it.

You can hear the story from Burger Heineman.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Dragon Wars is an excellent game. Is basically The Bard's Tale 4 in everything but name. Began life as that, but they lost the rights. Funny thing is that despite the new title, the game doesn't actually have any dragons in it.

You can hear the story from Burger Heineman.
Interest in this just went way up. Thanks, Sinatar.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I feel like more and more games are coming out on GOG, alongside the Steam release these days. Just randomly, D4 and Worms: World Party's upcoming re-release. I wonder if it's party Galaxy's doing...

In any case, it's cool. Just wish more JP devs would get the memo.

MrFortyFive

I feel like more and more games are coming out on GOG, alongside the Steam release these days. Just randomly, D4 and Worms: World Party's upcoming re-release. I wonder if it's party Galaxy's doing...

In any case, it's cool. Just wish more JP devs would get the memo.

It's great to see. I hope the trend only continues to grow.

Also, only 24 hours left to contribute for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. $28 gets you a GOG (or any other platform you choose) copy of the game, and $60 gets you a deluxe version as well as access to the beta.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

In more DRM-free Kickstarter news, Yooka-Laylee is coming to GOG as well! $15 and up for a GOG copy depending on what kind of extras you want. They'll contact you before release to specify which platform you want even though it only mentions Steam for the PC copies.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/posts/1260910

I got both X-Wing and TIE Fighter not too long ago on GOG, and thought it was extremely cool that you get 3 versions of each game in your library (original, cd-rom and collector's edition). Nice to have the choice.

Just out of curiosity - does anyone know if any other games on GOG are treated this way (as in, they have more than one version in your library so you can play all the different releases of a game, to see the differences)?

ricki42

Just out of curiosity - does anyone know if any other games on GOG are treated this way (as in, they have more than one version in your library so you can play all the different releases of a game, to see the differences)?

It doesn't show up separately in your library, but Zak McKracken includes both the EGA DOS and the FM-Towns versions. You can choose which one to play from the ScummVM start screen.

only saw last night terra nova strike force centauri had come out on gog. best fucking game ever

http://www.gog.com/game/terra_nova_strike_force_centauri

can't believe people stopped updating this thread just as the best game ever made came out. bad form. hehe.

codename outbreak came out too, which is ok. and has some small significance as the early precursor to the STALKER games.

http://www.gog.com/game/venom_codename_outbreak

For reals though is Dredd vs. Death any good?

not very. but it has some value if you're a fan of judge dredd. it has some frustrating missions, but I've enjoyed playing through that game a couple of times. rogue trooper is the good game based on 2000ad stuff though. wish rebellion would do another dredd game, but do it right this time. either that or do a stronty dog game.

Top Bottom