• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

ShadowOwl

Would anyone be so nice and help me pick up some games? Cannot buy Quake II and the Wolfenstein games at GOG because they are blocked in Germany. Can either send over money via PayPal or trade some keys (got tons of stuff left on both GOG and Steam).

I think i remember on steam it uses the ea drm account, i could be wrong.
Nope, no additonal DRM on Steam.

So GOG connect.. does it work as long as I have a game in steam that's been listed, or will it only work if I tried to do the connect during a certain time period?

v Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info! Was hoping to move some stuff over just to try out. Next time!

draetenth

I have dungeon keeper 2 in my cart right now. Would this game be considered an upgrade or should I get both?

TBH, I backed War for the Overworld, but haven't had the chance to play it yet. It's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper and glancing at the reviews... most people do seem to enjoy it.

Personally, I love Dungeon Keeper 2 and don't think you can go wrong with that if you like god game/dungeon management type games...

Coreda

Someone started a SteamDB-like site for GOG. Example game page. Displays things like included extra downloads, recent price history, among other general info.

Would be nice if it were possible to download older installers, similar to downloading earlier versions from Steam that was discovered earlier in the year, but from what GOG told me it seems only the latest copies of installers are kept. Perhaps there is a way that's just not known publicly.

Someone started a SteamDB-like site for GOG. Example game page. Displays things like included extra downloads, recent price history, among other general info.

Would be nice if it were possible to download older installers, similar to downloading earlier versions from Steam that was discovered earlier in the year, but from what GOG told me it seems only the latest copies of installers are kept. Perhaps there is a way that's just not known publicly.

nice, do you think we will be able to see games coming in advance too? leaks?

Coreda

nice, do you think we will be able to see games coming in advance too? leaks?

Good point. The dev posted that it scrapes data partially from both the Galaxy API and Javascript variables on GOG web pages. Not sure what (if anything) can be gleaned from the former for un-announced releases but IIRC there have been a couple leaks that discovered names of un-announced titles previously from the bowels of GOG so it may be possible. The site could probably use some sorting filters.

This summer sale is awesome, but I'm a little miffed I can't buy the Witcher 3 expansions without owning the Witcher 3 from GOG. I already have The Witcher 3, but I bought on steam when it came out. Anyone have a clue why on earth they are preventing people from buying the expansions or season pass?

Knurek

This summer sale is awesome, but I'm a little miffed I can't buy the Witcher 3 expansions without owning the Witcher 3 from GOG. I already have The Witcher 3, but I bought on steam when it came out. Anyone have a clue why on earth they are preventing people from buying the expansions or season pass?

You won't be able to play the GOG versions of expansions with your Steam version.
Either buy the whole package on GOG or just wait a week for the Steam sale, it's bound to be discounted there as well.

Since Ubisoft does the exact same thing (Steam+uPlay DLC for Steam+uPlay, pure uPlay DLC for everything else) and they are "aware" of Steam purchases within uPlay client, I would imagine there is something in Steam TOS that makes selling DLC for typical Steam games on non-Steam stores in non-key form undesirable.

They could have put W3 out on GOG Connect to work around this and I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually happens, but, well, I imagine non-zero amount of people bought the game twice. It should be noted that typical non-Steam purchase of W3 (box, Humble Store) gives you out a GOG key (I have no idea what happens to poor souls who bought it on Origin).

Dsyndrome

Anyone using gog galaxy? What features would you like to see on it?

Mirroring of Steam achievements. Overlay similar to Steam's where I can look up discussion forum topics or guides in-game. FPS display outside of the overlay. Efforts to have the overlay work with older games.

Coreda

Anyone using gog galaxy? What features would you like to see on it?

Re-sortable wishlist, fix the bug that causes the back navigation button to not return the user to the proper previous page (occurs when clicking search results and doesn't return to the results), better search options.

Mirroring of Steam achievements. Overlay similar to Steam's where I can look up discussion forum topics or guides in-game. FPS display outside of the overlay. Efforts to have the overlay work with older games.

The last time I used the overlay (for TW3) it was a separate download for that specific game which was odd, and unlike Steam's which is universal. Sounds like this is still the case.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Spellforce 2 is on gog, is it any good? What game is it similar to?

There really isn't anything to compare it to, Spellforce is pretty unique. It's a mix of a traditional party based RPG and a blizzard style RTS. It goes back and forth between those game types pretty liberally throughout the (huuuugge) campaign.

Dsyndrome

Galaxy Beta
1.2.13 Beta (July 04, 2017)
Changes and Improvements:
[macOS] Added in-game Overlay
[Windows] FPS counter is now controlled by ctrl+shift+tab combination and is visible, even when In-game Overlay is off
[Windows] Added tooltip to Galaxy tray icon
Reduced download size of game updates
Bugfixes:
[Windows] Fixed an issue with Galaxy window not being brought to top when clicking on tray icon or desktop shortcut
Fixed an issue with deleted Cloud Saves being redownloaded after Galaxy update
Fixed volume slider not being aligned with the dropdown above it.
Happy the FPS counter's outside the overlay now.

Coreda

Really hope this doesn't become a trend. Large GIFs on GOG store pages. It's there for banner images for things like collector's edition overviews but this is the first time I've seen it used to display gameplay footage. It might be fine for subtle looping things like sprites or something but just clipping full gameplay is unnecessary and bloats the page.

Really hope this doesn't become a trend. Large GIFs on GOG store pages. It's there for banner images for things like collector's edition overviews but this is the first time I've seen it used to display gameplay footage. It might be fine for subtle looping things like sprites or something but just clipping full gameplay is unnecessary and bloats the page.

Am I missing something? I don't see a gif.

Tizoc

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

Ys Seven is coming to Steam, courtesy of XSEED, which means a GOG/Drm-free version is likely to happen as well.

Teppic

Don't miss out on the free Jotun on GOG (and Steam)

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

Ys Seven is coming to Steam, courtesy of XSEED, which means a GOG/Drm-free version is likely to happen as well.
That's great! Haven't played that one yet. Makes me wonder if Memories will also make it over eventually.

Absolver looks interesting. I am hoping for some big classics to come, it has been a while since then. Remember the fallout,oblivion, dragons dogma combo.

Linkark07

Banned
Absolver looks interesting. I am hoping for some big classics to come, it has been a while since then. Remember the fallout,oblivion, dragons dogma combo.

Talking about Absolver, they are giving Furi for free if you preorder the game.

GOG has been on fire as of lately. Many releases with free games on pre order, and recently, they added RIME too.

Persona7

Banned
I pre-ordered hellblade but I won't be able to play it for a few weeks. My GPU went out and the one I want is selling at inflated prices.

Top Bottom