• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going from One to One X - Was it worth it?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I've been thinking about upgrading my gaming PC lately, but the prices of RTX cards (and all the other components) are holding me back. I do however want to play Doom Eternal and other great upcoming games in the best way possible, and I don't think my old i5 4670 and GTX 970 are up to par anymore. Especially considering me using a 1440p monitor (G-sync, so I have to stick with Nvidia cards) and I would like to push details to at least "high".

I was then thinking about getting an Xbox One X instead, for the time being, and upgrade the PC later when Ryzen 3 series and Nvidia "Super" is out (hopefully with an RTX price cut). I have the old original One, 80's VCR Edition, but it's only being used as a Blu-ray player for the kids right now, and I don't feel as though it's good enough for my 4K TV.

What is your take on the One X? Did you experience a noticeable difference coming from One/One S? And do you feel it's a good alternative to a gaming rig, or are there just too many games that still run at 30 fps? I read a lot of different opinions on this, and would like to hear GAF's take on the matter.

Happy with the X?

Mista

Banned
FUCK YEAH! Jumping from the One to One X was massive to me. The 4K HDR experience was amazing and still is

Not going to say it'll take a decent PC place but the console is definitely worth it. Even 3rd-party games looks insane

Also the fact that its dead silent is wicked. No matter what game you play you won't hear the console at all

Fuck yes.

I did this in january because the gsmes on gamepass looked like an unplayable arse mess on the og xbone.

Upgraded to X and havent bought a game since. Borderlands with hdr and 4k textures is awesome. Taking acid and playing that game must be a visual orgasm.

So yes, buy one, stop loitering, stop being a fucking cheap skate and buy one! Now! Do it! Stop reading go buying! Protect my balls!

Moses85

Use it mainly for BC and therefore I love it.

I play on a 65 LG OLED

Since its launch I bought 3 Games for it, the main part of my friends is playing on the PS4, this is the reason why I stuck there (besides the great PS4 exklusives)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
How much is a Xbox One X right now?
Is it not better to buy next-year Scarlett at launch with that money and something more you can save until there?

All games will be played on Scarlett after all.

PS. I always jump on first day in a new generation so maybe the wait is worth.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I play on a 65 inches 4K oled screen.
So yeah it was really worth it.
Biggest jump than the pro.
I can’t wait for Scarlett and ps5.

pr0cs

I have a decent gaming pc but I still upgraded my oneS to a oneX. Mostly because I wanted the definitive version of rdr2 but recently I've found with gamepass a number of games play in native 4k on the x which was a nice surprise.

Considering the noise or lack thereof of the X when playing 4k hdrBd movies its been a pretty decent upgrade.

T-Cake

I'm actually debating this myself now. My PC is decent enough being only a year old but I still feel like I'm missing out by not having an Xbox. And as I have a 4K TV, the X is the only choice. But I'm not sure whether it would be a foolish purchase as we're close-ish to Scarlett release. I should just consider myself lucky I have a good PC and use that until November 2020 and buy Scarlett instead of upgrading it.

No regrets on getting mine Day 1. And it sounds like you have the 4k tv to go with. If anything you will be getting a legit 4k player on top of "the most powerful console". I'm sure you could pick one of for a deal.

JCK75

I'm highly considering it myself, have a One S and would love to see some enhanced games..
I'm mainly a PC gamer where I go 1080P because I prefer 144hz, but on console games where I only play single player I want to see some 4K HDR.

RSB

Banned
Yeah, it was definitely worth it (even more so than the PS4 Pro) but then again, I bought it shortly after it came out. Now it may make more sense to wait for Anaconda, IDK, depends on how much disposable income you have I guess.

The PS4 Pro felt like a good upgrade over the PS4, but with the XB1X the difference was gigantic, way better than the regular XB1.

Last edited:

DjMystix

I just upgraded as well given how amazing game pass is becoming. I got the pubg bundle for $340 at walmart.com (might still be there although I don’t see the same price anymore). I have an 82” 4K tv but I play mostly on PS4 pro so never thought of upgrading from OG xbox one since I rarely turn it on. Game pass is a good excuse :)

Last edited:

Meowzers

You go out there and buy an Xbox X right now young man!

Some games I never did play on both systems, but just in general the quality of the games in Far Cry 5 and Red Dead 2 were amazing. All I did was take screenshots. Some great memories too.

Unlike some I bought it when I couldn't really afford it, but I like the taste of wallpaper soup now. But it's so worth it. And there's still a while before Scarlett's released so just buy now now now!

RobRSG

One X is worth every penny.
I often play varied games, but bounce back to Ninja Gaiden Black every once in a while.
Looks amazing on C8 65'.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
It's great, definitely get one if you can :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Mackers

I'm in a similar boat. PC is an i5 3570k and an R9 290X @ 1440p. Been looking at upgrading it and a new GPU, CPU motherboard and RAM is going to run me about £1000. It's just not realistic for me right now. I have a base PS4 in my living room for gaming but thinking about grabbing a One X because of Gamepass Ultimate. I feel like having the PC in the office, One X in the living room will really allow me to get the most out of the subscription. And since I was primarily on 360 last gen I already have a decent little collection of back compat games. My library of old games is the only thing holding me on PC with the hardware prices being what they are.

Lupin3

Conclusion: Probably a good buy!

Thanks all for your input. X might be the way to go, then.

Lone Wolf

You can get one for $399. Its worth it. Enhanced BC games are awesome. Even non enhanced games get benefits. I also buy physical movies, so the UHD player is another bonus for me. We have two in the house. One hooked to a 4K TV and one to a 1080p TV. The 4K looks best, but even on the 1080p TV it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I don't own 4k tv and i can say without doubt yes it was definitely worth it.

Games look and run horrible on base machine now.

Well worth the upgrade IMO. So many games have been updated to 4K and pretty much all new games take advantage of the extra power in some way, most of them substantially improved over the base Xbox game.

For sure. Even over the Pro it was sorta worth it. If it had the games Sony has I would not be a ps owner. My pro sounds like a jet my x is quiet.

Lupin3

For sure. Even over the Pro it was sorta worth it. If it had the games Sony has I would not be a ps owner. My pro sounds like a jet my x is quiet.

I already have a PS4 Pro fully loaded with great games, but I refuse to use it since it's louder than a nuke. It's impossible to enjoy playing on that thing.

Reactions: RSB
Top Bottom