• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going from One to One X - Was it worth it?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
As a console player, yes it's worth it.

Im mainly a pc gamer now though, and while I like my X, I'm just being too used to have 100 + fps now.

Keep in mind that the Xbox successor comes next year though.

Justin9mm

I assumed everyone playing Xbox had an X because the Xbox One's performance is god awful.. I don't know how people can enjoy new release games on that! I have a Pro and an X, always been camp Sony and have the {Pro but took the plunge and bought an X early last year. Now I have no idea which next gen console I will buy first if they are releasing close to each other. I want next gen performance as soon as its released on newer games like Cyberpunk 2077. I want to pre order it but not sure if should for X or Pro.

With scarlet so close, I feel it would be a waste to spend $500 dollarydoos on an x. I have a pc connected to my tv with a 1070. It manages 1440p 60 in most games.

I'd like an xboner x, but I shouldn't. I just shouldn't.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It depends on a few things.

I feel like 4k is a really, really expensive tech right now in terms of processing requirements compared to standard hardware. Like I got a $2300 PC with a 1070ti and on new games it can usually only do 1440p at a stable 60fps. So really a 1080ti is like the beginning of quality 4k. The viability of the market is newer than we would like to think. One X can sometimes manage a really solid 30fps 4k with beautiful HDR like in AC Origins and Gears 4, and on a 4k display the beauty is worth it to me. Other times, like with Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3, I think 4k is so sluggish it isn't worth trying to play.

What One X pulls off for the price is astounding, but only in the time of its release. Wait till Scarlett and 4k will have been properly standardized. Most games don't give you the option for a 1080p performance mode, although it is great when they do. No Xbox game lets you pick 1440p rendering for better performance; it'll just downscale 4k rendering to match your monitor output. I got my One X at launch and have had a lot of money to throw around, so it's no big deal to me, I still play it a lot even though I have a PC that can do 1440p at 60fps on any game. However, if I really wanted my $500 to count for a long haul into the 4k generation, I'd wait for Scarlett.

If you don't plan to get a 4k display until about when Scarlett is out, then definitely don't bother getting a One X. Since performance isn't amazing on most 4k games, the IQ boost isn't worth it if it's actually only to 1440p.

Roberts

Absolutely worth if you are not a PC gamer. Even though I also have a Ps4, Xbox was my main console since the launch, but I was kind of a casual gamer, turning it on once a week or so. After getting the X, thanks to its graphics improvements, I have been gaming so much more to a degree where it has become almost unhealthy.

I just broke and got the xbone x. And while I was at it I picked up a Ps4 pro (because of those handful of damn exclusives) during the same transaction.

It's so simple: If you can afford it, don't deny yourself anything. If you can't, don't spend money on dumb shit. I can afford to be dumb so I did dumb and that's the end of that.

cireza

Banned
The console is awesome but I am disappointed by the fact that no more BC games will be added to it. Huge let down.

Otherwise the console is great.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
A must if you own a 4k lg oled
Also get that dolby atmos working

And a copy of mad max fury road on uhd

nikolino840

I've been thinking about upgrading my gaming PC lately, but the prices of RTX cards (and all the other components) are holding me back. I do however want to play Doom Eternal and other great upcoming games in the best way possible, and I don't think my old i5 4670 and GTX 970 are up to par anymore. Especially considering me using a 1440p monitor (G-sync, so I have to stick with Nvidia cards) and I would like to push details to at least "high".

I was then thinking about getting an Xbox One X instead, for the time being, and upgrade the PC later when Ryzen 3 series and Nvidia "Super" is out (hopefully with an RTX price cut). I have the old original One, 80's VCR Edition, but it's only being used as a Blu-ray player for the kids right now, and I don't feel as though it's good enough for my 4K TV.

What is your take on the One X? Did you experience a noticeable difference coming from One/One S? And do you feel it's a good alternative to a gaming rig, or are there just too many games that still run at 30 fps? I read a lot of different opinions on this, and would like to hear GAF's take on the matter.

Happy with the X?
Mmmh..why don't wait the Scarlet? Is Just One more year and you can save Money for now and After decide xbox or graphic card

If the X struggle with the cpu/GPU the S or the og Is worse

I play only on console so i have the x from day One...but this gen Is coming to end...

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Mmmh..why don't wait the Scarlet? Is Just One more year and you can save Money for now and After decide xbox or graphic card

If the X struggle with the cpu/GPU the S or the og Is worse

I play only on console so i have the x from day One...but this gen Is coming to end...

Plenty of games I want to play before Scarlett, even this year, and I can't stand my PS4 Pro. Waiting a year and a half is a little too long for me. But other than that, yes, the coming end of this gen is why I'm not instantly pulling the trigger. Though the feedback in this thread is starting to convince me to buy one, for sure. And I'm very reluctant to sponsor Nvidia and its crazy RTX prices.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I already have a PS4 Pro fully loaded with great games, but I refuse to use it since it's louder than a nuke. It's impossible to enjoy playing on that thing.

Use headphones?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Use headphones?

Don't like using headphones, and one really shouldn't have to. Sony fucked up badly with the Pro. I have even considered placing it in another room, or in a silenced PC case, but nah...

EDIT: Plus I find the DualShock 4 to be pretty bad with awful triggers, not very nice sticks and overall a rather bad fit for my hands.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

Yes. Unlike the PS4 Pro (which I also like) it was a major upgrade.
PS4 Pro basically tweaked the PS4 to keep up with game development.
Xbox One X was almost a ground up rebuild.
It really speaks to how bad the OG Xbox was compared to the PS4 performance wise.
I own Assassin Creed Odyssey on both systems and it looks like a high spec gaming PC on the Xbox One X, PS4 Pro looks like a high quality console version.

T-Cake

I'm probably gonna go for it but two questions -

i) Can you stand it vertically without needing some kind of official stand?
ii) With it being a white model, is it likely to be an old build from mid-2018?

Last edited:

Ornoku

I wouldn't jump in now if you don't already have one. But the thing is a really nice console. I mainly decided to get it for enhanced 360 games and I wasn't let down at all in the 360 games I've played at 4k res on the thing. I'm playing on a 55 inch b8 oled and its just a quality experience.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've been thinking about upgrading my gaming PC lately, but the prices of RTX cards (and all the other components) are holding me back. I do however want to play Doom Eternal and other great upcoming games in the best way possible, and I don't think my old i5 4670 and GTX 970 are up to par anymore. Especially considering me using a 1440p monitor (G-sync, so I have to stick with Nvidia cards) and I would like to push details to at least "high".

I was then thinking about getting an Xbox One X instead, for the time being, and upgrade the PC later when Ryzen 3 series and Nvidia "Super" is out (hopefully with an RTX price cut). I have the old original One, 80's VCR Edition, but it's only being used as a Blu-ray player for the kids right now, and I don't feel as though it's good enough for my 4K TV.

What is your take on the One X? Did you experience a noticeable difference coming from One/One S? And do you feel it's a good alternative to a gaming rig, or are there just too many games that still run at 30 fps? I read a lot of different opinions on this, and would like to hear GAF's take on the matter.

Happy with the X?

The Short is yes, I'm happy with my X.

I think right now it might be better to wait though because in about a year and a half we'll have new systems. If you can get the X for 400 or less, I'd say go for it. I would not buy the X full price right now unless it came bundled with some great games and gave some gamepass trials or something.

Alternative is to put that 4-500 bucks aside and delay your gratification and put that towards a next gen system. I know that may not sound like much of an option, but that's how I look at things. I bought an X on day one,knowing I'd get 2 to 3 solid years out of it, and even trade it in toward the next gen console.

I know its kinda wishy washy but I hope this helps.

Ornoku

The Short is yes, I'm happy with my X.

I think right now it might be better to wait though because in about a year and a half we'll have new systems. If you can get the X for 400 or less, I'd say go for it. I would not buy the X full price right now unless it came bundled with some great games and gave some gamepass trials or something.

Alternative is to put that 4-500 bucks aside and delay your gratification and put that towards a next gen system. I know that may not sound like much of an option, but that's how I look at things. I bought an X on day one,knowing I'd get 2 to 3 solid years out of it, and even trade it in toward the next gen console.

I know its kinda wishy washy but I hope this helps.
They're selling them brand new on ebay for 315 right now. But like you said I think it would be better to wait.
Edit: Found the same seller is selling a new X with NBA2k19 digitally for 300. The 315 is a PUBG bundle.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
You'd have to be insane to spend up to $500 on a current gen console and then watch everyone next year getting a next gen one while you're stuck with State of Decay 2 expansions.

I bought a Project Scorpio XBO:X, and it's what I play all third party titles on, bar none. The output is incredible over the PS4 and XBOX: One, and what they've done with Backwards compatibility is breathtaking. Panzer Dragoon Orta, Red Dead Redemption...it's got me dusting off my library and playing games I haven't played in years.

I do most of my gaming on XBOX since I've had significantly better luck with XBOX Live over the years compared to PSN, and it's an impressive piece of kit. I highly recommend picking one up and using it for Microsoft exclusives (Forza Horizon 4 and 7 are incredible in 4K, and Gamepass is great for ADD-addled gamers like myself that change games constantly) and third party titles (Neir: Automata, FF XII, and Destiny 2: Electric Boogaloo all look and play exceptionally well on it).

Oh, and I think they're $349 (U.S.) right now, even from Microsoft's store.

It was totally worth it for me, but I got mine shortly after launch. Really just depends on whether or not you want to wait on Scarlet. If it were me (as in I didn't have one already) I'd go ahead an pull the trigger since they're on sale for $350. You can always sell it closer to the Scarlet launch (if you're planning on going that route) and get a decent return.

SquireDalbridge

Neo Member
One must be delusioned or Mad to buy an Xbox one X because the games which it's running are All the games of Xbox one. Which on the first day when I was annnounces everyone agreed thAt the GPU was underpowerd running at 1.3 TF. I feel sad thAt MS has conned so MAny gamers into buying Xbox one X . The Reason is pure and simple the games af Xbox one X are All the games that are released on the Xbox one. So you get All those games with 4K resolution. Its like i sold you a tornupped pants and later sold you the same pants with patches. Sorry because of the xbox one GPU the games never reached the level of the PS4.

Roberts

You'd have to be insane to spend up to $500 on a current gen console and then watch everyone next year getting a next gen one while you're stuck with State of Decay 2 expansions.

I can't tell if you are joking, but here goes: I've had One X for a year and half - exactly the same time we have to wait until Scarlett comes out. First of all, it feels like I've had it for a very long time and I don't think I have ever enjoyed gaming as much as I have since Dec 2017. And let's pretend that a new, more powerful console would come out tomorrow, I'd buy it, because it already feels like X has been worth every penny I spent on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

wipeout364

I think I might wait if I was in your shoes. It is definitely a much better experience than the original or the s no doubt about it. The problem is it really depends how much disposable income you have. If you have a ton of cash go for it, but if this is a big purchase for you wait till next Christmas and get the new system. That’s my opinion.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Absolutely worth if you are not a PC gamer.
Prior to gamepass getting a significant push I would have agreed, I felt pretty guilty for buying the X essentially for rdr2. After finishing (and loving rdr2) I went back to pc taking most of my gaming time.
With cheap gamepass I've been mostly on the X trying games that I was interested in but didn't buy. Gamepass makes it pretty easy to try a shit load of software and everything I've thrown at the x has ran great.
Yeah the framerate isn't as good as my pc but I'm not such a fps snob that I care a ton about it anyway

Top Bottom