• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden joystick award :TLOU2 wins the Ultimate GOTY and sweeps the award show

3liteDragon

Actually the fact that this is voted for by fans is even more surprising, the amount of hate this game was getting, you would think some other game would’ve won.

Well deserved though.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fucking deserved. This game is fucking above every other videogame so far. In animation and story telling. Its ok to dislike this game too.
But you have to recognize the fucking crazy shit they pulled of in the tech department of this game..

Lacix

No it’s a fact that it was bad. Glad you enjoyed it though.
13024745.gif

Woggleman

I hate to bring politics into this but it is similar to how some on the right swear that they are the real Americans while only coastal elites are the liberals even though the Dem candidates tend to win the popular vote.

Some people swear that they are the real gamers and only soyboys and paid shills like this game but it wins big at an award show voted by actual gamers. Maybe this game is not as hated as they would like you to believe.

MagnesG

Banned
Actually the fact that this is voted for by fans is even more surprising, the amount of hate this game was getting, you would think some other game would’ve won.

Well deserved though.
Twitch 20k views, YT 10k views. 38 years of legacy hur dur free magazine for voters.

cyber_ninja

Well deserved?????
Hahahahaha... AAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Come on, man... Naughty Dog has NOTHING to do next to the geniuses at Asobo.

Asobo developed their own engine, they developed their own unique AI to create 3D landscapes from flat satellite pictures, they developed their own physics simulation system with real-time data from real meteorology services...

What Asobo did with Flight Simulator is nothing short of “black magic”.

Whatever makes you sleep better sunshine. If that game you talking about was so amazing everybody would be talking about, but almost nobody does. Don't get me wrong, Flight Simulator is a good game but it's not anywhere near The last of us in terms of impact. The Last of Us 2 set new standards in story telling, narrative, animation, voice acting, it has an amazing soundtrack and gameplay is really good. Disagree all you want but they deserve every bit of praise and success. Cheers!!!

Last edited:

Madflavor

I think my only regret with TLOU2 winning, is that it couldn't go up against Cyberpunk. Two of the most anticipated games in the past few years going head to head. Would've been really interesting. Especially since they're two very different games, so I would've liked to see the different opinions on both. Still it comes as no surprise. TLOU2 is most certainly a technical achievement. On the other hand I thought the quality of it's storytelling was all over the place, and it took the series in a direction that made me no longer invested in it. I won't be interested in TLOU3 if they continue Ellie/Abby's story, but if they introduced completely new protagonists, I'd maybe give it a shot. Shame because TLOU1 is in my Top 10 Games of all time.

Regardless, grats on ND winning, and grats to the people who feel their opinions on loving the game are validated now lol. Personally I'm pulling for Hades to with GOTY at the VGAs because not only does it truly deserve to win, but I do love a good underdog story.

HeresJohnny

Still haven’t played this game. I don’t know that I want to, even though TLoU is one of my top twenty games of all time

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I get no liking TLOU as I'm not that biggest fan either, but calling it bad is the epitome of stupid.

It certainly wouldn't be my personal pick for GOTY, but yeah, calling it bad isn't defensible.

Its a technical masterclass and from a gameplay standpoint is by far the best version of ND's patented "formula" to date. If you've enjoyed playing any of their previous games I cannot imagine finding fault with TLOU2 in terms of feel and mechanics because its undeniably the most evolved and polished implementation of their house-style to date.

So it all goes down to story and presentation, which quite frankly is probably just too abrasive for a lot of people. Its kinda surprised me how little commentary there's been on its violence, which is extreme for a mainstream title and not in campy, splattery, way either.

Bottom line for me was that even if I didn't love it as a tale, I had to give respect to their commitment in telling it. Its not a crowd-pleaser by intention, and that's brave and unconventional for a mega-budget AAA title. So props were given.

carlosrox

Banned
It was an amazing game, no problem here.

Some of the story and "representation" stuff may have gone a little too far but meh. It was still an awesome game.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Whatever makes you sleep better sunshine. If that game you talking about was so amazing everybody would be talking about, but almost nobody does. Don't get me wrong, Flight Simulator is a good game but it's not anywhere near The last of us in terms of impact. The Last of Us 2 set new standards in story telling, narrative, animation, voice acting, it has an amazing soundtrack and gameplay is really good. Disagree all you want but they deserve every bit of praise and success. Cheers!!!

Then we are about to enter the dark age od gaming. Directors that love to self fellate themselves on social media, gameplay that is as surface level and devoid of depth as you can get, terribly written stories that put characters second and make them act contrary to how they have been shown to act in the previous entry, and a soundtrack so bland and forgettable it doesn’t have a single hummable tune even after 20+ hours and one and a half playthroughs later. Not to mention the piss poor pacing, braindead AI (even on harder difficulty levels), and jokes so cringe they make Seth Rogan look like a comedic genius.

Hell I can’t even say the voice acting was anything above average. When a small team of newbies from Platinum with unknown voice actors (by comparison) can provide far better and more memorable preformances a few years earlier (Nier Automata) it just goes to show how lacking tlou2 is. Compare Emil’s emotional breakdown as he slowly remembers who his friends were and 9S’s cries of anguish and agony shortly before and during the final bits of the story to anything that happened in tlou2. The latter can’t compare.

The only thing that I can say is that the game had great animation... when it worked. Often times I would find glitched out enemies with sound queues that failed to line up. Shooting someone with an arrow in the head would lead to them freezing in place like a stone statue. Punching them would leave them seizuring on the floor playing the sound effect as if they were stabbed in the jugular. This was a semi regular occurrence.

Last edited:

tassletine

There's nothing wrong with TLOU2's gameplay, its one of the game's stronger aspects. Especially in its more survival-horror inspired stretches.
The gameplay is great but not good enough for a 30 hour campaign in my opinion.
you have it twisted, the game doesn't push to sympathize but makes it an obligation almost to empathize. Your are forced to be in the shoes of character with which you don't sympathize. If it was the other way around nobody would've blinked an eye because we are used to sympathize with characters in fiction, but putting the player at odds with it's avatar it's something not done often because of how uncomfortable can be and how quickly can backfire with the audience not paying attention to avoid said disconnection.
I understand, but I think if you’ve got to twist your words into “an obligation almost to empathise” then that’s pretty much the same thing. Since no one ever has used those combinations of words before I guess you get to choose what they mean but I don’t think that’s a valid argument.

I completely disagree with the second part of what you said as Video game characters have always been pricks. That’s the standard. What was refreshing about the first game was it humanised those sorts of characters. LOU2 just does what most games of this genre do — They’re still roughnecks on an impossible mission slaughtering whoever gets in your way. The only thing this game added was trying to make you feel bad.

Now personally, I don’t an attempted guilt trip as progress. It may have been interesting if the game was shorter but that sort of monotone storytelling didn’t hold up for 30 hours.

tassletine

Me personally, it was not sympathy, but I can understand why some would go that route knowing more about each character than the character's knew about each other.

But putting myself in either one's shoes, I could empathize with their course of actions, taking into account the world they live in, and the fact that they did not know every little detail about one another. Emotions leading their actions and all of that nuance. There were no winners.
I’m glad you managed too. Just the fact Ellie would go on the mission without any of her friends trying to stop her told me they didn’t care about her. Ellie didn’t care about Dina either, and abandoned her multiple times, along with Jessie. No one cared.

So, I really can’t be asked to care about someone, when almost none of the characters care about each other — but do seem to make a big deal about silly things like bigots being in their group!!
If the character made some smart decisions then that wouldn’t have mattered, but to have characters that are portrayed as smart (but act stupidly) and are also psycopathic (but we’re supposed to feel for them) is way too much.

All this leads to very strange sequences like when Ellie Cuts down Abby and the kid only to let them go — only to then fight Abby — then let her go again.
Now this may make sense to you, but all the time I’m wondering “why did Ellie cut down the kid, and not anyone else?“. The scene barely makes sense at it is, but makes a lot less when you realise Ellie has no Idea who that kid is, and there are a bunch of suffering people strung up along with them. It’s such a mess.

But None of this would really matter if we weren’t asked to take the story so damn seriously and FEEL at every moment. I was rolling my eyes by the end.

Heylon

I was among the audience when they receiced the award for Ultimate Game of the Year, and Neil’s speech was as follows: “As expected. Let this serve as a slap in the face, a feminine slap, mind you, to all the non-LGBTQ worshippers out there and every single white, straight guy! With this game we, and the gaming industry as a whole, are one step closer to end the totalitarian misogynistic rule over society that has held progressivism back for millennia. I would like to take this opportunity to address the haters for a brief moment (Neil looks into the camera, angrily) I’d like to remind you to please provide us with a trigger warning ahead of time before you engage in heated, anti-semitic speech against anyone from our company or our fans. However, Don’t even bother to reach out to us unless your estrogen levels are higher than your tetosterone.“

(He breaks eye contact with the camera and continues ) “At Naughty Dog we always value identity politics more than any other aspect of game development. Our games will continue to reflect that and the people have spoken - *Shouting* “THIS IS WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT! THIS IS THE FUTURE OF GAMING!“

Neil then proceeds to thrust his crotch vigorously towards the audience while frothing at the mouth: “HAIL ABBY’S ABS! THE QUEEN FOR ME, THE QUEEN FOR THEE!”

He then makes out with the gender binary host on stage.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I’m glad you managed too. Just the fact Ellie would go on the mission without any of her friends trying to stop her told me they didn’t care about her. Ellie didn’t care about Dina either, and abandoned her multiple times, along with Jessie. No one cared.

So, I really can’t be asked to care about someone, when almost none of the characters care about each other — but do seem to make a big deal about silly things like bigots being in their group!!
If the character made some smart decisions then that wouldn’t have mattered, but to have characters that are portrayed as smart (but act stupidly) and are also psycopathic (but we’re supposed to feel for them) is way too much.

All this leads to very strange sequences like when Ellie Cuts down Abby and the kid only to let them go — only to then fight Abby — then let her go again.
Now this may make sense to you, but all the time I’m wondering “why did Ellie cut down the kid, and not anyone else?“. The scene barely makes sense at it is, but makes a lot less when you realise Ellie has no Idea who that kid is, and there are a bunch of suffering people strung up along with them. It’s such a mess.

But None of this would really matter if we weren’t asked to take the story so damn seriously and FEEL at every moment. I was rolling my eyes by the end.
You didn't even pay attention to the story.

Besides the flash back sequences, most of Ellie's story in Seattle was to find Tommy and then bring Dina back home to Seattle.

Jesse: I need to get clear on something.
Jesse: When we find Tommy, you're good with going home?
Ellie: Yeah.
Jesse: You'll be leaving some of those assholes alive.
Ellie: Dina should be back in Jackson
Jesse: Okay. Good.

Now, this is clear as day that Jesse cares about everyone and Jesse is trying to stop Ellie from going after Abby.

This is why he wanted to make things clear.

Of course, Ellie still wanted revenge.

Ellie: No. We're taking their boat.
Jesse: You heard them, right? They're talking about Tommy.
Ellie: We don't know that.
Jesse: Who else is it going to be?

The dialog is obvious. Jesse wants to bring back Tommy and Ellie wants to go after Abby.

But there's more.

They find Tommy and they're making plans to go back because Dina is pregnant. If they didn't care about Dina, they wouldn't be making plans to go back to Jackson.

Tommy: Hey.
Tommy: They got what they deserved.
Ellie: But she gets to live.
Tommy: Yeah.
Tommy: Is that okay?
Ellie: It has to be.

Day 1: Ellie goes to Hillcrest to find Tommy
Day 2: Ellie goes to the hospital.
Day 3: Find Tommy and to go back to Jackson.

Nothing in this supports your claim that they didn't care about each other. Ellie and the others are obviously going to leave Dina behind because 1) She's safe there and 2) they need to help Tommy.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hell I can’t even say the voice acting was anything above average. When a small team of newbies from Platinum with unknown voice actors (by comparison) can provide far better and more memorable preformances a few years earlier (Nier Automata) it just goes to show how lacking tlou2 is. Compare Emil’s emotional breakdown as he slowly remembers who his friends were and 9S’s cries of anguish and agony shortly before and during the final bits of the story to anything that happened in tlou2. The latter can’t compare.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but its kinda disingenuous to cite Nier as if its some sort of baseline average! Both Automata and the original are outliers in terms of quality for writing and performance, especially in the B-tier budget range. Yoko Taro is an exceptional creative, both in terms of conceptual ambition and his ability to powerfully emotionally manipulate the player.

As to TLOU2 I'd argue its definitely got its moments too. The Museum flashback particularly stands out as a fantastic piece of visual storytelling for instance.

tassletine

Besides the flash back sequences, most of Ellie's story in Seattle was to find Tommy and then bring Dina back home to Seattle.

Now, this is clear as day that Jesse cares about everyone and Jesse is trying to stop Ellie from going after Abby.

The dialog is obvious. Jesse wants to bring back Tommy and Ellie wants to go after Abby.

But there's more.

They find Tommy and they're making plans to go back because Dina is pregnant. If they didn't care about Dina, they wouldn't be making plans to go back to Jackson.

Nothing in this supports your claim that they didn't care about each other. Ellie and the others are obviously going to leave Dina behind because 1) She's safe there and 2) they need to help Tommy.
Their actions show that they don’t care. Sure their dialogue is a counterpoint to that, but since they spend so much time being shitty to each other I just presumed that they lie constantly, so they are more shitty, not less.
If someone says that they care about you and act in the opposite fashion then that‘s not caring In my book, despite what that person might say.

Both Jessie and Ellie leave Dina when she is pregnant. It doesn’t seem to impact their lives much that she is, as the dialogue quickly switches back to revenge and Ellie’s quest.
I’m not sure if you’ve ever been in any situation to help someone like that, but these are not realistic reactions. Doubly so given that a baby would be considered sacred In that environment and there are tone of zombies walking around.
Leaving her alone like that, for such a dumb reason (a huge, slim to nothing chance, revenge quest) makes little sense.

I understand your comments - That there are reasons given in the dialogue explaining why they did these things — And you’re right. But when those run contrary to their actions continuously, and in such a repetitive fashion, then it undermines your argument that this game is well written.

Dorohedoro

But there's more.

Surprised you didn't mention the part about how he kept going on about Ellie cutting down Lev, it was Abby that cut him down. As for why she didn't cut the other people down (that were probably dead anyway)... Well, when the barometric pressure reaches a certain temperature... shit, I don't fuckin' know.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Their actions show that they don’t care. Sure their dialogue is a counterpoint to that, but since they spend so much time being shitty to each other I just presumed that they lie constantly, so they are more shitty, not less.
If someone says that they care about you and act in the opposite fashion then that‘s not caring In my book, despite what that person might say.

Both Jessie and Ellie leave Dina when she is pregnant. It doesn’t seem to impact their lives much that she is, as the dialogue quickly switches back to revenge and Ellie’s quest.
I’m not sure if you’ve ever been in any situation to help someone like that, but these are not realistic reactions. Doubly so given that a baby would be considered sacred In that environment and there are tone of zombies walking around.
Leaving her alone like that, for such a dumb reason (a huge, slim to nothing chance, revenge quest) makes little sense.

I understand your comments - That there are reasons given in the dialogue explaining why they did these things — And you’re right. But when those run contrary to their actions continuously, and in such a repetitive fashion, then it undermines your argument that this game is well written.

Dina is safe in the theatre and Tommy is in danger and they have to go save him.

There's no way to spin this and you're trying hard to do it. It's clear you didn't understand the story. This is a common theme with people who try to coitize this story. lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Surprised you didn't mention the part about how he kept going on about Ellie cutting down Lev, it was Abby that cut him down. As for why she didn't cut the other people down (that were probably dead anyway)... Well, when the barometric pressure reaches a certain temperature... shit, I don't fuckin' know.

Yeah, just about everyone hanging outside of Lev and Abby showed obvious signs of death. Some of them even had flies around them, which is a sign of a dead carcass.

tassletine

Dina is safe in the theatre and Tommy is in danger and they have to go save him.

There's no way to spin this and you're trying hard to do it. It's clear you didn't understand the story. This is a common theme with people who try to coitize this story. lol

But it's much more common that the people who defend the game act high and mighty with a "you just don't understand" comment.
Which is what I would expect when defending a pretentious title like this -- As it's the ONLY way you can defend it -- because it doesn't make much sense on any other level.
And that's fine as long as you don't pretend that it does. I love David Lynch films but would never defend them like that.

If you worked in an environment where everyone was scared for their job and falls in line with whatever anyone says, then I think this game would probably resonate with you -- as that's kind of what it feels like.
But if you've actually been in an environment that was similar to the one in the game (or even if you have kids frankly) you would realise quite quickly that the way people behave in LOU2 is highly unrealistic.

It's like a teenagers version of what they think adulthood is. It's the game equivalent of the girl who sits on the stairs at parties crying for attention.
You ask her what's wrong, she tells you her story, then you walk away because she's clearly a dick and brought it on herself.

tassletine

I hate to bring politics into this but it is similar to how some on the right swear that they are the real Americans while only coastal elites are the liberals even though the Dem candidates tend to win the popular vote.

Some people swear that they are the real gamers and only soyboys and paid shills like this game but it wins big at an award show voted by actual gamers. Maybe this game is not as hated as they would like you to believe.
Or maybe awards shows are full of shit. Anyone with any sense knows that.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
But it's much more common that the people who defend the game act high and mighty with a "you just don't understand" comment.
Which is what I would expect when defending a pretentious title like this -- As it's the ONLY way you can defend it -- because it doesn't make much sense on any other level.
And that's fine as long as you don't pretend that it does. I love David Lynch films but would never defend them like that.

If you worked in an environment where everyone was scared for their job and falls in line with whatever anyone says, then I think this game would probably resonate with you -- as that's kind of what it feels like.
But if you've actually been in an environment that was similar to the one in the game (or even if you have kids frankly) you would realise quite quickly that the way people behave in LOU2 is highly unrealistic.

It's like a teenagers version of what they think adulthood is. It's the game equivalent of the girl who sits on the stairs at parties crying for attention.
You ask her what's wrong, she tells you her story, then you walk away because she's clearly a dick and brought it on herself.

There's nothing about being high and mighty.

If you don't get it, then you don't get it. The entire last part of Ellie Day 3 was to go back to Jackson because Dina was pregnant.

But oh, you want to tell me "They didn't care about each other".

You guys are trying hard to ignore hard evidence because you just want tell people how bad the story is. Stick to the facts and will make things easier.

nyr88nyg

Banned
An utterly miserable experience story wise, but I had fun with it. Hate every single character in it, and definitely not GOTY.
Same here. Had fun stealth killing and I love clickers. Story was dreadful, though. ND took a page out of Rian Johnson’s book and went way too far with subverting expectations.

Larxia

For the people who say this is the game of the generation for them, or even the best game ever, I'm really wondering, what games did you use to like in the past?

I'm asking this because, this game is extremely basic in its gameplay and structure, it's just about following a story. As someone who's always been into games focused on the gameplay (my favorite games are stuff like SSX, Tony Hawk, Bayonetta, Furi, Nier Automata etc.) I really find nothing in Last of Us really fun.

And of course that's just me, but I'm really wondering what you guys used to like in video games in the past, because stuff like this, basically interactive movies, didn't really exist before the ps3 era (if you don't count fmv stuff), so this confuses me, and it almost feels like people who love this are people who maybe only started enjoying video games with ps3 or ps4 era?

I'm also surprised how everyone on this forum suddenly seems to be okay with everything in the game, while everyone was hating on the woke stuff at release, but that's another subject.

Last edited:

nyr88nyg

Banned
It certainly wouldn't be my personal pick for GOTY, but yeah, calling it bad isn't defensible.

Its a technical masterclass and from a gameplay standpoint is by far the best version of ND's patented "formula" to date. If you've enjoyed playing any of their previous games I cannot imagine finding fault with TLOU2 in terms of feel and mechanics because its undeniably the most evolved and polished implementation of their house-style to date.

So it all goes down to story and presentation, which quite frankly is probably just too abrasive for a lot of people. Its kinda surprised me how little commentary there's been on its violence, which is extreme for a mainstream title and not in campy, splattery, way either.

Bottom line for me was that even if I didn't love it as a tale, I had to give respect to their commitment in telling it. Its not a crowd-pleaser by intention, and that's brave and unconventional for a mega-budget AAA title. So props were given.

Lol at thinking they weren’t trying to please the crowd. They’re in the business of making money. They thought people would be angry at the early twist and then fall in love with Abby. That was their intention.

Woo-Fu

Banned
From a story perspective TLOU2 is a disjointed mess. From a technical perspective it makes practically everything else look a generation behind.

Kerotan

And rightly so. Best game I played this year. Days Gone is currently giving it a run for it's money but that didn't release this year.

Top Bottom