• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Joystick Awards 2018 winners: God of War wins big but Fortnite gets Victory Royale

Akuza89

The Golden Joystick Awards 2018 votes have been tallied, the winners decided, and the awards presented. It's not all about the big wins of course, a whole year's worth of unforgettable gaming experiences were celebrated on-stage at London's Bloomsbury Big Top. Some were just celebrated a bit more than others, with God of War claiming victory on the most categories overall with four total (or five if you count Best Studio).
Kratos' fury burned bright on stage, but not bright enough to overshadow the ruthless crowd pleaser that took home Ultimate Game of the Year: that's right, Fortnite continues to rule the entire dang planet, even though Red Dead Redemption 2 was also eligible for votes in the category to rule them all. Don't worry, Rockstar's new Western epic still got its dues. Read on through the full list of Golden Joystick Awards 2018 winners to find out who won what.

Best Storytelling - God of War
Best Competitive Game - Fortnite Battle Royale
Best Cooperative Game - Monster Hunter: World
Best Visual Design - God of War
Best Indie Game - Dead Cells
Best Audio - God of War
Still Playing Award - World of Tanks
Best Performer - Bryan Dechart (as Connor from Detroit: Become Human)
Esports Game of the Year - Overwatch
Best VR Game - The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim VR
Studio of the Year - SIE Santa Monica Studio
Best New Streamer / Broadcaster - Bryan Dechart and Amelia Rose Blaire
Mobile Game of the Year - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Mobile
PC Game of the Year - Subnautica
PlayStation Game of the Year - God of War
Xbox Game of the Year - Forza Horizon 4
Nintendo Game of the Year - Octopath Traveler
Breakthrough Award - Unknown Worlds
Most Wanted Game - Cyberpunk 2077
Critics Choice Award - Red Dead Redemption 2
Lifetime Achievement - Hidetaka Miyazaki (FromSoftware)
Outstanding Contribution - Xbox Adaptive Controller
Ultimate Game of the Year - Fortnite Battle Royale

Don't fret about more recent releases like Hitman 2 and Fallout 76 getting snubbed; they and all the rest of the November/December 2018 releases will be eligible for nomination at the Golden Joystick Awards 2019. Make sure you come back and vote next year!

Source - https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/golden-joystick-awards-2018-winners/

So... fortnite...GOTY....

I realise these aren't THE game awards... but still...

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Glad to see Octopath wins something. The game was fantastic and it deserves all the praise it gets.

Good, Fortnite deserves GOTY over anything else imo. God Of War is a very good game, but it's not a record breaking phenomenon that's been played by millions for nearly a year now like Fortnite.

Besides, God Of War still got a ton of awards. Best Playstation game, best story telling, best audio, and best visual design. Also Sony Santa Monica won developer of the year.

Last edited:

xviper

no these are not "THE" game awards

"THE" game wards are THE game awards show, in which RDR 2 will win even though it doesn't deserve it in my opinion

Edit: OP made a typo, he wrote Are instead of Aren't, but now he fixed it

Last edited:

Akuza89

no these are not "THE" game awards

"THE" game wards are THE game awards show, in which RDR 2 will win even though it doesn't deserve it in my opinion

yeah I just realised I put are the game awards... I meant aren't obviously haha updated now!

but yeah, I don't agree with red dead getting all the recognition, it definitely needs an award but not GOTY.

Last edited:

xviper

yeah I just realised I put are the game awards... I meant aren't obviously haha updated now!

but yeah, I don't agree with red dead getting all the recognition, it definitely needs an award but not GOTY.
exactly, RDR 2 is way too boring for it to get 97MC and a GOTY award, but we both know it's gonna win it, but it should easily win best visuals because the game looks insanely good, but everything else is boring as fuck

my personal GOTY is Monster Hunter World

nowhat

How the heck did RDR2 not sweep all these categories?
This was a public vote, and it closed on November 2nd. My guess is not many had finished it by then, or at least many more had seen all of GoW they wanted to see compared to RDR2. Perhaps people playing RDR2 were too busy with the game and forgot to vote :) And sure, there could be other reasons too, like Sony not just bribing the entire gaming press but the general public altogether, shills, hackers, whatnot. Personally I wouldn't read too much into it. If you're into these kinds of awards (you shouldn't be IMHO, they're fluff no matter which one we're talking about), no worries, RDR2 will win a plenty, that's guaranteed.

jadedm17

Fortnite's dominance is like Pokemon at its height... It may not but your thing but I feel "Ultimate Game of the Year" is fitting. Have you been to a restaurant, Hot Topic, Gamestop, Best Buy or Spencers recently? From kids playing it everywhere to figures, costumes and tshirts. It's pretty big.

Nymphae

Banned
For me RDR2 blows GoW out of the fucking galaxy. Nice that it got critic's choice even though GoW swept many of the awards.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
These are some great choices for these awards. Seems like they are all pretty much correct.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Astro Bot got jipped for best VR by fucking Skyrim? Jesus wept.

Good to see Subnautica win PC. Indie is a super tough one this year between Dead Cells, Into the Breach and Celeste so I'm glad one of 'em made it.

Top Bottom