• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 is now 20 years old

finley83

Banned
Fantastic game and the only game I've ever bothered to 100% complete. Still remember struggling for weeks to unlock Invincibility and complete Control on 00 Agent.

I remember two guys at school talking about it shortly before release and one of them said "It looks like just another Doom clone".

Loved this game so much.

In game magazines I was drooling over screenshots, amazed games could look that good!

Then I made a calendar to cross off the days until release. Good times.

When I was 17 and the game was feshly released we had conversations at work about the game.

"It's a very violent game!"
"It's a shooter, you basically just shoot everybody!"
"Looks so good"
"Animation is lifelike"

Everybody loved it.

Strangely enough it never grew my interest to watch the movie... think I've catched parts of it once on tv but don't remember much of it.

Metalmarc

Ahhh fun times with this game, never owned this or a N64 myself, but my friend had it , me and a large group of friends would go round his house and we'd all take turns on it tgere were sometimes between 8-12 of us all in his house and we'd pass the four controllers around.

Good times

D.Lo

I remember two guys at school talking about it shortly before release and one of them said "It looks like just another Doom clone".
At the time a comment like that made sense though.

A couple of years down the line, everything was a 'Goldeneye clone'.

Well except in the weird PC bubble. Goldeneye outsold Half-life too (in a contemporary setting aka the life of the N64 timeframe, obviously HL continued selling as a budget game even up to today) but back then PC devs seemed not to acknowledge console success or progress. I would have loved more non-tactical objective based FPS on PC, and while some eventually came, it was lame to me that so many stayed corridor or the Quake 'kill all enemies, hit switch, move to next section' mold.

CamHostage

Feels like it too, if not older.

Yeah, seriously, I was about to say, only 20 years old?

I feel like every time I turn around, it's like, "Hey, you see that game that's two down on your to-play list? It's 20 years old now". "You know that TV show you say set up today's modern era? It's over 10 years old now". "You know that album you keep saying is the best of the last five years? That actually came out 15 years ago ... and also, what's an 'album'? " I mean, Dreamcast is about to be 20, and Goldeneye felt like a game from a bygone era when Dreamcast was new. It's right there in the history books that Goldeneye came out in 1997, but my head cannot fathom the timeline. I'm all lost.

chrixter

I might have more hours with GoldenEye than any other (non-mmo) game I've played. Tons of fun with my brother and friends.

I remember spending so much time unlocking the more difficult cheats like Invincibility and Invisibility and then doing it again on my friends' carts.

It wasn't until years later that I learned that the game also has cheats via button inputs - blew my mind.

How is the 2010 remake/reimagining if I'm nostalgic for Goldeneye but would like to play a HD version? The Daniel Craig palette swap is dumb but doesn't bother me.

finley83

Banned
How is the 2010 remake/reimagining if I'm nostalgic for Goldeneye but would like to play a HD version? The Daniel Craig palette swap is dumb but doesn't bother me.

It's a COD clone that bears little mechanical similarity to the original. Play TimeSplitters 2 on Dolphin for a 60fps HD equivalent.

Tntnico

I mean... the N64 stick can either be left or right analog, depending on how you hold it.

Also:

dXdSWsD.png

Dual analog controls in FPS in 1997. Basically an older and bulkier version of the Wiimote+Nunchuck. But it's comfortable enough because of the shape of the controllers (you hold them from the middle so the weight is balanced). 2.2 "galore" scheme (fire+aim inverted) plays exactly like a modern dual analog shooter.

I can't believe that I learned this control scheme only last year.

D.Lo

Personally the Daniel Craig part 900% turned me off. But the game was mediocre anyway.

It's a COD clone that bears little mechanical similarity to the original. Play TimeSplitters 2 on Dolphin for a 60fps HD equivalent.
Type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks. It reviewed pretty well but I don't remember hearing anything about it at the time or in the years since.

Not good.

Level design is one thing that makes GoldenEye stand out, and there aren't many games that pull off the template it laid down as well as itself (Perfect Dark comes close), especially so as the template for FPSes shifted after Halo came out, whose template was easier to adopt than GoldenEye's.

Have a read of this letter sent into Metro GameCentral. It's from a thread about best levels in games. I'm sure you remember Bunker2: http://metro.co.uk/2010/11/05/weekend-hot-topic-part-2-best-ever-levels-572068/#ixzz4OHAZF0YU

PazJohnMitch said:
The best designed level is the second bunker level on GoldenEye 007. Sure the game is no longer as playable as it once was but no first person shooter level since has been as well thought out.

Not even Rare’s own Perfect Dark or Free Radical’s TimeSplitters series have created something as brilliant.The level encapsulates the essence of choice. This is a word we have heard a lot recently in games but for a completely different reason. Currently we hear of choice in narrative but Bunker 2 had choice in gameplay.

Played on the hardest setting you were tasked to carry out multiple tasks within the level. Each of these tasks could be carried out in any order and the level had multiple routes through it. Do you wait until the guard comes with the key pass for the locked door or do you run and take out the turret?

The true genius of the level is its size; it is tiny by modern standards but that essentially means every square foot of space was put to use. There were no pointless rooms for decoration, there was no padding; it was and still is, level design perfection. The true test of the Wii-make will be how they handle this level. Will they realise its beauty is in its simple, small, intertwined design or will they undoubtedly turn it into a lifeless metropolis full of pointless corridors.

With the current obsession with big scripted set pieces we now have games that are linear corridors with a few choke points and impressive explosions. The gameplay has improved immensely in the years since GoldenEye but the actual level design was fallen away. Graphical fidelity is now far more important than careful game conscious design. There are no longer limits on level size, which is a shame as now we have levels which can be amazing the first time you play them but soon become boring. Others have huge lifeless areas you simply travel through to add scale. These are boring the first time and remove the desire to play the level again for fun.

I have never played any level more times than Bunker 2 and I doubt I ever will. They simply do not make them like they used to.

PazJohnMitch

Now about the bolded above, Activision basically did turn the Wii-make into a "lifeless metropolis full of pointless corridors". Not worth playing if you're nostalgic for the original Rare game.

D.Lo

Just a solid console release at 480p and even just locked 30fps would be so great (obviously 60fps would be better), aka a Virtual Console level performance.

The only thing that really kills playability today for me is the framerate.

Maybe for an N64 mini Nintendo will finally sort out the licensing issues and the game will be released in a VC type form.

-shadow-

Recently replayed the multiplayer with a group of friends. While the framerate is terrible, it's still very much playable and we had a blast. Biggest issue was really the sticks that were pretty much dead.

Just a solid console release at 480p and even just locked 30fps would be so great (obviously 60fps would be better), aka a Virtual Console level performance.

The only thing that really kills playability today for me is the framerate.

Maybe for an N64 mini Nintendo will finally sort out the licensing issues and the game will be released in a VC type form.

Yes please. The dream would be for Nintendo to sort out the James Bond licensing, and also the game program licensing(?) with Microsoft for:

-GoldenEye 007 on N64 Classic Mini
-GoldenEye 007's Rare-remake to see cross-platform release across Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and Windows 10 Store PC(?) with cross-platform play

alf717

Played this a whole lot in my teen years. I was the guy whole could unlock the cool cheats so people would leave me their carts for me to unlock the stuff. This was way before the code list was released. Unlocking all weapon mode and dual wielding shot guns was very fun. Played a bunch of multi player with my neighborhood buddies. This thread brought back a lot of good memories. =)

Personally I must say, the only games that carried the level design torch from Goldeneye were Perfect Dark and most recently Hitman.

For me the best level in Goldeneye was and still is Facility. It condenses everything that is great about Goldeneye from start to finish. Stealth, multiple routes, randomised objective locations, great visual design and one of the hardest speed run requirements in the game.
It really laid out the basics for the game, while still being infinitely fun to replay later on.

It's also the first level I always try to recreate in level editors when possible.

Type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks. It reviewed pretty well but I don't remember hearing anything about it at the time or in the years since.

I'd say it is one of the best Bond games post Goldeneye... kind of ironic. Can't speak for the 360 version, but the Wii game was tons of fun, and the pointer controls were second only to MW3 in terms of settings. It never reaches the level design genius of the original, but it's a very good modern Bond game in it's own right.
Just don't play it for nostalgia.

Dizzy-4U

There is this guy named Ryan White (top player in the-elite) that is doing fantastic videos about the speedrunning in Goldeneye.

SpeedLore in particular is amazing. All the optimization, the players, the drama...The guy is a great story teller. Even if you are not interested in speedrunning, the stories he tell are very entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ADeXuII_oQ

Personally I must say, the only games that carried the level design torch from Goldeneye were Perfect Dark and most recently Hitman.

For me the best level in Goldeneye was and still is Facility. It condenses everything that is great about Goldeneye from start to finish. Stealth, multiple routes, randomised objective locations, great visual design and one of the hardest speed run requirements in the game.
It really laid out the basics for the game, while still being infinitely fun to replay later on.

It's also the first level I always try to recreate in level editors when possible.

I'd say it is one of the best Bond games post Goldeneye... kind of ironic. Can't speak for the 360 version, but the Wii game was tons of fun, and the pointer controls were second only to MW3 in terms of settings. It never reaches the level design genius of the original, but it's a very good modern Bond game in it's own right.
Just don't play it for nostalgia.

Facility is great, love the atmosphere.

As for games carrying on the level design torch: Add Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes to that list.

The Giant

Banned
I spend weeks trying to unlock the invincibility cheat on Facility on 00 Agent for my older brother. It was the only cheat I unlocked personally in the game.

Facility is great, love the atmosphere.

As for games carrying on the level design torch: Add Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes to that list.

I actually saw the movie years after playing the game, and during the facility scenes I was grinning like crazy. Even with the N64 limits they nailed the general feel of the location, actually managing to make it feel like a believable place.

Sillverrr

Game that made me purchase the N64. I had a gold controller and everything. Epic game and pumped so many hours into 2-player split-screen. I don't know if I'd replay it as a lot of it is nostalgia, but I think if they could resolve the licensing issues it would still hold up as a fun party game.

daTRUballin

Paintball mode

Throwing oddjob's hat.

Mines.

Fantastic

You could throw Oddjob's hat??? You're probably thinking of a different 007 game or something....

I actually saw the movie years after playing the game, and during the facility scenes I was grinning like crazy. Even with the N64 limits they nailed the general feel of the location, actually managing to make it feel like a believable place.

Same here. I saw the movie way after playing the game and it was just crazy how much the game replicated some of the locations from the movie to a T haha.

wwm0nkey

I just can't play it anymore, loved it as a kid, but man it's just okay now. That being said I do enjoy Goldeneye Source

I remember this was the first game with "objectives". They even added extra ones to the higher difficulties. Before Goldeneye, it was nothing but finding keys for doors. Such a great time to be gaming.

This. And it was the first game I saw where the enemies' bodies would recoil as you shot them.

I know some of you guys shit on Goldeneye because of the controls and the fact that it just hasn't aged well, but if you were around during that time then you'd know how truly groundbreaking it was. I'll be honest, I was excited to play Mario 64 but Goldeneye was the system-seller for me.

Ivan

One of my all time favourites. Still unmatched in certain aspects like satisfying gunplay.

One of the "magic sauce" games that clicked in best possible way the first moment I saw it.

I'm a big fan. And I feel old now :(.

Everybody should play it with modern controls today in 60 fps, there's a thread on gaf just for that if I remember.

Ivellios

I truly loved playing this game when i was a child, both on single player and multiplayer.

One of the best FPS i ever played, along with Perfect Dark.

Me and my mates played the multiplayer to death, License to kill all the way. I had a friend that always played as Ouromnov(?) and it took him months to work out that his huge hat made his head a massive hitbox. We were literally wearing out controllers with the amount we were playing.
Alternating between this and Mario Kart 64 Battle Mode (Block fort and Double deck only) was like an all day thing at weekends only ever stopping to order pizza. Great days.

20 years of my friend placing proxy mines at all the spawn points only to die and get killed over and over by his own explosions. Good times.

Me and my mates played the multiplayer to death, License to kill all the way. I had a friend that always played as Ouromnov(?) and it took him months to work out that his huge hat made his head a massive hitbox. We were literally wearing out controllers with the amount we were playing.
Alternating between this and Mario Kart 64 Battle Mode (Block fort and Double deck only) was like an all day thing at weekends only ever stopping to order pizza. Great days.
We switched between licence to kill, pistols only,on facility and temple, and proximity mines on complex/facility.

The time we sunk into this mp huddled around the small ass TV in my room... Crazy

Top Bottom