• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 is now 20 years old

nkarafo

It's time for the 360 XBLA remaster leak already.

Hot take: The controls in this game were so bad I couldn't enjoy it.
Another hot take: You never tried any of the alternate control options.

1.2 feels a lot better once you get used to it.
1.2 feels like a modern shooter if you hold the controller from it's left side so everyone should already be used to it.

When I finally played this game after all the hype... I thought it was way overrated!!! then again I was playing Quake on PC and all console FPS had terrible controls until Halo.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, obviously we know it's aged poorly, in a lot of ways... but this game was so fucking awesome at the time. Single player, multiplayer.... didn't matter. It was great. Even given the competition on PC at the time.

Madao

this was the game that showed me i suffer from motion sickness. it wouldn't be until 8 years later i could play a first person game that wouldn't trigger that (Metroid Prime 2)

to this day the standard FPS still triggers motion sickness for me.

sol740

Another hot take: You never tried any of the alternate control options.

My friend showed me the 'C-Arrows for movement/Thumbstick for Aiming' mode and I never looked back.

Oddly enough, this screwed me up for years when Halo came out and basically created the standard FPS scheme with the aiming on the right stick. I had to switch to Southpaw style in every FPS I played. Finally after growing tired of having to dig into menus with friends when we'd be passing the controllers around, I spent a weekend remapping my brain to aim with the right.

Man, this game though. So many arguments about screen-watching. Just so many.

nkarafo

My friend showed me the 'C-Arrows for movement/Thumbstick for Aiming' mode and I never looked back.

Oddly enough, this screwed me up for years when Halo came out and basically created the standard FPS scheme with the aiming on the right stick.
No, it did not. You could do that with Goldeneye the whole time. You just had to hold the controler from it's left side. The D-Pad had the same function as the C-buttons. So you had your right hand at the analog and your right index at the shooting trigger.

sp2_cv_leftposition.jpg

In fact this was already implemented in Turok. I played all N64 FPS games like this long before Halo was even an idea on paper. And i feel like i'm the only one in this world who did it.

D.Lo

Oddly enough, this screwed me up for years when Halo came out and basically created the standard FPS scheme with the aiming on the right stick.
I mean I know you said 'basically' here but it always grinds my gears when Halo gets credit for that. Many games had it before as standard, most notably the not-obscure Timesplitters.

holygeesus

Banned
Imported (and still have) this from the US after reading one review and never regretted it for a second. I remember buying a UK-US game converter, which saw you having to plug it into the N64, then dangle a UK cart out of the back, with the US cart in the top.

Worked great until you eventually unplugged the UK cart and all my well-earned saves disappeared. I remember the tears flowed that day.

nkarafo

I mean I know you said 'basically' here but it always grinds my gears when Halo gets credit for that. Many games had it before as standard, most notably the not-obscure Timesplitters.
I mean... the N64 stick can either be left or right analog, depending on how you hold it.

Also:

dXdSWsD.png

Dual analog controls in FPS in 1997. Basically an older and bulkier version of the Wiimote+Nunchuck. But it's comfortable enough because of the shape of the controllers (you hold them from the middle so the weight is balanced). 2.2 "galore" scheme (fire+aim inverted) plays exactly like a modern dual analog shooter.

One of my favorite games ever. Hearing even a second of any track on the game instantly takes me back! I still can't believe I was able to 100% that game as a child. Definitely zero handholding and some of those objectives on the harder difficulties were tough!

sol740

I meant Halo solidified the scheme of right stick aiming as a standard. Not that it created aiming with a stick as a standard. As in, everyone copied and used that style almost exclusively. Hence why it screwed me up to have become accustomed to the opposite.

*Edited for wording*

D.Lo

Anyway on the topic of Goldeneye, it is a massively historically significant game for several reasons.

It was literally THE game that made what became the dominant genre of a few years later a viable genre on consoles. Turok deserves some credit too, but Goldeneye sold 8 million copies (much more than Halo which only sold 5-6 million) and vastly popularised the genre. It was, as a result of this success, the game that proved you could do a FPS on a controller and the masses would accept it, and you could do FPS multiplayer on a console. It made The N64 the original shooterbox, and was honestly the game that propped up the N64 in the US, helping it be a genuine success there (selling as much as the SNES), while it withered in Japan.

So from an industry impact perspective it is one of the most important games of all time.

I meant Halo created the scheme of right stick aiming as a standard. Not that it created aiming with a stick as a standard. As in, everyone copied and used that style almost exclusively. Hence why it screwed me up to become accustomed to the opposite.
No, Timesplitters or possibly something before that did.

Fuckin' Klobb man.

I remember games where people were dancing around the goddamn things because they'd rather slap someone to death than try to shoot them with the goddamn Klobb.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Anyway on the topic of Goldeneye, it is a massively historically significant game for several reasons.

It was literally THE game that made what became the dominant genre of a few years later a viable genre on consoles. Turok deserves some credit too, but Goldeneye sold 8 million copies (much more than Halo which only sold 5-6 million) and vastly popularised the genre. It was, as a result of this success, the game that proved you could do a FPS on a controller and the masses would accept it, and you could do FPS multiplayer on a console. It made The N64 the original shooterbox, and was honestly the game that propped up the N64 in the US, helping it be a genuine success there (selling as much as the SNES), while it withered in Japan.

So from an industry impact perspective it is one of the most important games of all time.

No, Timesplitters or possibly something before that did.

Medal of Honor Underground if I remember correctly.

daTRUballin

Inb4 Synth comes into the thread to deny this.

:p

D.Lo

Medal of Honor Underground if I remember correctly.
Alien: Resurrection on PS1 had it, which was released two weeks before TimeSplitters.
Yep. But did they require a Dual Shock on PS1? I don't think they did, so it being 'standard' on them may need a small caveat - Goldeneye was definitely the first game that had it as an option, and Timesplitters likely the first game 100% of players had presented to them as the default. And IMO Timesplitters was the first high profile game to feature it.

Of course Timesplitters was also made by some of the same people as GE too.

Inb4 Synth comes into the thread to deny this.

:p
Yep.
But I mean, it's just facts, Goldeneye came out first by a lot, and sold more by a lot. Claiming anything else is falling for contemporary marketing hype.

Yep. But did they require a Dual Shock on PS1? I don't think they did, so it being 'standard' on them may need a small caveat - Goldeneye was definitely the first game that had it as an option, and Timesplitters likely the first game 100% of players had presented to them as the default..

You're right, Alien: Resurrection was playable without a Dual Shock.

nkarafo

Yep. But did they require a Dual Shock on PS1? I don't think they did, so it being 'standard' on them may need a small caveat - Goldeneye was definitely the first game that had it as an option, and Timesplitters likely the first game 100% of players had presented to them as the default. And IMO Timesplitters was the first high profile game to feature it.

Of course Timesplitters was also made by some of the same people as GE too.

Yep.
But I mean, it's just facts, Goldeneye came out first by a lot, and sold more by a lot. Claiming anything else is falling for contemporary marketing hype.
I would credit Turok for having the controller scheme first. Although not dual analog since there's only one stick, you could still hold it from the left side to move with the D-pad and aim with the analog using your right thumb and shoot with your right index.

First FPS game with actual dual analog (instead of D-pad and analog) was Goldeneye though.

mrkgoo

007 has aged like fine wine. Still my favorite mission structure that I wish more games utilized. Gave birth to my love of FPS and competitive play. Game is a gem.

The mission structure was brilliant for a console fps. Sort of short arcade burst levels.

I remember when it was being previews and I saw 4 player mode. I didn't think it was possible, and it was just a test thing to never make to the final version, let alone playable, let alone good, let alone AMAZING.

D.Lo

I would credit Turok for having the controller scheme first. Although not dual analog since there's only one stick, you could still hold it from the left side to move with the D-pad and aim with the analog using your right thumb and shoot with your right index.

First FPS game with actual dual analog (instead of D-pad and analog) was Goldeneye though.
Yep absolutely. Turok definitely showed FPS on console and controller was very viable.

But Turok was a solid seller, Goldeneye a smash hit blockbuster. GE was the game that showed the genre could be a monster.

nkarafo

Yep absolutely. Turok definitely showed FPS on console and controller was very viable.

But Turok was a solid seller, Goldeneye a smash hit blockbuster. GE was the game that showed the genre could be a monster.
For sure.

I remember when i first played Turok, the controller scheme clicked with me immediately because i was used to the KB+Mouse controls on a friend's PC. The D-Pad and analog was pretty much the console controller equivalent of that. 1.2 "Solitaire" in Goldeneye was the same and thankfully most N64 FPS games had similar option. Heck, even many third person action games had it, although not all.

So my transition from N64 shooters to modern dual analog shooters was a smooth ride and i didn't even have to play Halo. Whenever i hear that Halo invented the modern FPS controls i roll my eyes.

mrkgoo

For sure.

I remember when i first played Turok, the controller scheme clicked with me immediately because i was used to the KB+Mouse controls on a friend's PC. The D-Pad and analog was pretty much the console controller equivalent of that. 1.2 "Solitaire" in Goldeneye was the same and thankfully most FPS games had this option.

So my transition from N64 shooters to modern dual analog shooters was a smooth ride and i didn't even have to play Halo.

Weirdly, I used the C-button to move combo, with the analogue in my left hand...

nkarafo

Weirdly, I used the C-button to move combo, with the analogue in my left hand...
Were you aware that you could use the D-pad instead though? And if yes, did you try it? From what i gather from many discussions over the years, most people never even tried holding the controller that way. The C-Buttons and Analog combo is an inverted version of KB-Mouse, as a right handed i would never be able to get used to it...

D.Lo

Were you aware that you could use the D-pad instead though? And if yes, did you try it? From what i gather from many discussions over the years, most people never even tried holding the controller that way. The C-Buttons and Analog combo is an inverted version of KB-Mouse, i would never be able to get used to it...
I think the whole concept of analogue control was so new to people at the time, so because you needed to adjust to it no matter what, most people gravitated to the default.

Goldeneye's default was sort of an FPS application Mario 64 - the game that of course introduced the need for, and usage of, an analogue stick for movement in 3D games. But it had stick free look when you hit the aim button. So it was a good, and probably necessary, 'transition' scheme in that sense. I think the control scheme was actually a big reason for the success - it was more digestible quickly. Think of how much of a struggle right stick look was to most people when they started - large periods of time looking at the floor etc. Goldeneye's default was much more digestible quickly to people, and combined with auto-aim could be picked up and you have fun more quickly. Since it was buttons for look up and down, there was much less of the unstable floor look problem. You'd probably shoot a few people in your first ever game, compared to the usual 'kill yourself with a grenade while looking at the sky' first experience of dual analogue for many, which needed to be pushed through for fun to start.

It had the other options there, including the dual analogue, so obviously the developers saw other methods were superior for seasoned players.

Coxy100

Banned
Incredible game. My friends and I were obsessed with this - we used to rush home from school to play together - I will always fondly remember my blue n64 controller - now in the loft.

Great game :)

Goldeneye was the game that made me buy an N64. Yeah, sure it may have not aged well, but back in the day it had a great single payer campaign with a lot of replay value. I spent so much time just unlocking all the secrets. Also, the couch co-op multiplayer was fantastic, sure it was choppy, blurry and low resolution. But there was nothing else like it on a home console.

I still like the single player campaign, BTW.

Goddamn licensing and Nintendo... 60FPS widescreen with the original game textures and models look amazing.

Nobody wants to talk about the Wii remake?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_007_(2010_video_game)

I am playing this game right now for the first time and it is fantastic.

A review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQf22vbebVI

Couldn't get into it. The gameplay and level design was changed far too drastically from the original. Now it's a CoD clone with a few modern gadgets.

They should have looked to Crysis 1, which apparently took Goldeneye's and Perfect Dark's more open mission structure and took it to the next level.

The007JiM

Oh my favourite game. I loved it.

Still playing this in my N64 until today.

That Aztec map; the slappers; the ability to detone remote mines in mid air pressing A+B; the silo run; pressing R to make more accurate the shot; escaping Archives in less 1:30; watching the screen of your friends in multiplayer; more objectives to do in hardest difficulty; Natalya crossing just in front of your bullets; Killing Xenia with the Grenade Launcher; the golden gun mode; crushing people with the tank; picking Oddjob in multi; the music; YOU PICKED UP SOME AMMO.; etc

So many good and fun memories.

Can't believe how good this game was. Games based on movies are just not like this anymore.

Also, game does a lot of things modern games still don't do, like enemies reacting differently based on where you hit them, holding their legs in pain etc. So good.

Top Bottom