• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye achievement unlocked by RARE dev

Chukhopops

200.gif

Last QA phase before the June 12th reveal…

Neff

Can't wait. I still play XBLA Perfect Dark often. These games are all-time classics.

Looking forward to playing it again although its more for the memories and nostalgia as the gameplay wont have held up too well over the years.

I don't agree. These games have a unique, satisfying feel to the shooting and use concepts which are still novel to this day. And the level design still rocks.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

This would have been the perfect time to re-master the music close to movie-like levels, instead of going with the N64 cartridge music

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m buying it for sure, but my gut tells me it’s not going to hold up well.

Should be great on Steam Deck.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Would this be based on the same remaster that was almost finished but cancelled, or is it a completely new remake from the ground up?

Cannot wait for people to find out how bad these old games age without the nostalgia goggles

I play "these old games" all the time. They're a product of their time, sure, but they hold up just fine. This isn't just the game running on the N64 either. The Perfect Dark port on the X360 added widescreen and ran at 1080p/60fps which made a world of difference. This should be the unreleased fully remastered version of Goldeneye that was leaked.

I'd honestly play the N64 version of Goldeneye over almost any of the pile of AAA cinematic experiences that have released in the last decade. There's a reason nostalgia goggles exist, you don't get them for games that weren't any good, except Dynowarz because you piloted Dinosaur mobile suits.

daTRUballin

Ok, nice for him.

Exception =/= Rule
Sure, he is just one person, but he's at least proof that someone can still have fun with these games without having really grown up with them. You can't just assume that most people aren't going to like the remake with such confidence.

I guess we'll see when it releases. I don't ever see many bad things being said about the PD XBLA remake, so I don't necessarily expect that for this one either.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

This will probably be the definitive Bond game, for this generation unless the next bond game in the making changes that, considering the last best one (and one I have yet to check out) blood-stone was a 2007 release

Neff

There's a pretty big gap between liking something of old because you played it as a kid and actually holding up fine 25 years later.

Exactly. So why should we assume everything old and well-loved is solely carried by nostalgia?

I used to love playing Robocop on the C64 as a kid, but it's literally unfinished, un-completable, bug-ridden garbage that they had the gall to charge people £10.99 for. At around the same time, I used to love playing Space Harrier at the arcades and I still love playing Space Harrier because that game is god damn fucking amazing even now.

And for what it's worth, I played GoldenEye 007 in 1997 as a 22-year-old weeb who was harshly critical of most western software at the time and it blew my mind.

'It's just nostalgia' is and always has been a low-effort and baseless criticism.

Last edited:

yurinka

I wonder if theres is still someone at Rare who worked on the original Goldeneye game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom