• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye Online Multiplayer is not coming to Xbox. (Split-screen co-op available)

Naked Lunch

How does online N64 on Switch even work?
Are there custom lobbies - ranked play - playlists?
Ive never used the service so I dont have a clue.

Shame to finally get the game after 25 years of waiting and have it show up in this state.

lachesis

4 player local would be great. These days the screen size is much larger, it would be a lot more comfortable to see with increased resolution.

Shame no online play for GP. I did enjoy the single player campaign, so I may go for that.

FrankCaron

How does online N64 on Switch even work?
Are there custom lobbies - ranked play - playlists?
Ive never used the service so I dont have a clue.

Shame to finally get the game after 25 years of waiting and have it show up in this state.
In effect, you join your "party" in the application menu interface. It's all brokered through the Switch UI. From the game's perspective, all players are local.

Works like a charm for stuff like Streets of Rage 2 et al. I'm assuming for Goldeneye all 4 players will see split-screen on each screen.

Naked Lunch

In effect, you join your "party" in the application menu interface. It's all brokered through the Switch UI. From the game's perspective, all players are local.

Works like a charm for stuff like Streets of Rage 2 et al. I'm assuming for Goldeneye all 4 players will see split-screen on each screen.
Thats... interesting, to say the least. So you mean when you play FZero X online with 3 others - the screen is still split 4 ways?
And essentially you can only play with friends?

FrankCaron

Thats... interesting, to say the least. So you mean when you play FZero X online with 3 others - the screen is still split 4 ways?
And essentially you can only play with friends?
Yes, you can only play with your existing Switch friends; there is no matchmaking of any kind whatsoever nor any real "matching" UX. Just a basic invite feature. The game just thinks it's all local players.

Check this:

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Fci_-0HX0AAP4Et

https://www.007.com/goldeneye-007-coming-to-nintendo-switch-online-xbox-gamepass/
The wording is not clear enough. I don't think it means they're going to remove online from the Xbox version.

Last edited:
I can understand Nintendo blocking online play on XBox - it would kill any allure of people getting it on NSO that had an Xbox - but if Nintendo gets to add a feature like online play then MS should have gotten at least some parity with the XBLA remastered visuals.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This is probably the primary reason why the feature doesn't exist on Xbox. The game isn't built with online multi-player in mind (apparently even the 360 version didn't have that) but Nintendo has that wrapper already in place that basically creates a situation similar to using netplay with an emulator. For all we know the Xbox version is the 360 remaster and will have a mode for enhanced graphics. Have they shown screenshots of the Xbox version yet?

Edit: Nevermind. I see they did release screenshots of the OG N64 visuals. I guess they figured that version was better than no version at all.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What xbox owner would even bother playing then? Seems like a waste all the way around. Poor dev decision. Hope MS didn't pay much for free coop cuz nobody is gonna play that.
I'm going to try to complete it so I can always get behind saying the game is only good with nostalgic glasses

skit_data

I’m a little confused about the thread title, does it actually have co-op? As in cooperation? Isn’t it just split screen pvp?

Cuz if it has co-op in the campaign that’s actually a pretty cool new feature.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Hope no Xbox fans are going to complain about Nintendo setting stipulations for a game they originally published. After all, I’ve spent the last week reading the gleeful commentary about MS being able to tell Sony to fuck off once they acquire Activision.
It sounds like Nintendo owns the IP so it seems pretty generous they are allowing Xbox to release a remaster .

DaGwaphics

It sounds like Nintendo owns the IP so it seems pretty generous they are allowing Xbox to release a remaster .

This, the situations aren't even remotely comparable. Nintendo owns the rights to the game we are talking about here, MS owns the developer that made the game. Nintendo didn't own a lot of Rare's other work on N64, and thus it's already part of rare replay. Sony never owned any part of CoD from the beginning, LOL.

Xbox just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Western gaming culture (I'm an expert), but online gaming and Multiplayer are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being Selling pachinko machines. If you screw someone over in the west, you bring fanboys to yourself, and the only way to get rid of fanboys is to not be retarded.
What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to buy Goldeneye for either xbox system, nor will they purchase any of Rare's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.
Phil Spencer, publicly apologize and add multiplayer to Goldeneye or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

^ How many times you going to say that.

To answer your question, IMO, I doubt this move was nearly that calculated. I don't think this game is enough to get double dipping going. Nice to see old games preserved, I know a lot of people love this one online (no experience with it at all myself).

Last edited:
Wtf so it is the same remaster that was leaked, that’s was made for the Xbox 360, why not redo the whole game, ms and rare, both useless as each other.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I don't know why this is such a big deal. When I first saw this was coming, online multi-player was the farthest thing from my mind. All I was thinking of was running around as Oddjob in 4 play split screen.
Goldeneye multiplayer is one of the most fun things in gaming history

Last edited:
The NSO release is just a straight up N64 Rom in emulation, and probably they just let MS do the same version in a higher resolution emulation front-end.

If Rare could, they would probably release that canceled 360 remaster officially.
Nah it’s the remaster that was leaked online, made for the 360. Not emulation

Banjo64

cumsessed
You sure Sony published or had IP rights to Call of Duty?
Sorry all I’ve been reading is that Sony can suck a fat dick because Xbox will own the publishing rights to CoD once this deal goes through. So I guess Nintendo told MS to suck a fat one in regards to MP but that’s ok, I’m glad.

Ozriel

M$FT
Sorry all I’ve been reading is that Sony can suck a fat dick because Xbox will own the publishing rights to CoD once this deal goes through. So I guess Nintendo told MS to suck a fat one in regards to MP but that’s ok, I’m glad.

Or you could use the Banjo Kazooie analogy where MS - the acquiring party - let Nintendo use a Microsoft IP in Smash Bros.

That’s a much closer analogy, but you’re certainly not going to use that for obvious reasons

Banjo64

cumsessed
Or you could use the Banjo Kazooie analogy where MS - the acquiring party - let Nintendo use a Microsoft IP in Smash Bros.

That’s a much closer analogy, but you’re certainly not going to use that for obvious reasons
Why would Xbox fans care about banjo in smash? I was just saying I hope no Xbox fans complain about getting a gimped goldeneye port.

93xfan

Banned
Incredibly disappointing. I don’t know what to say, this industry is choking itself, we could’ve got an awesome returnal of a beloved game but all we get is some bs rushed high res emulation nonsense.
Thank Nintendo’s usual shitty policies.

Banned
Hope no Xbox fans are going to complain about Nintendo setting stipulations for a game they originally published. After all, I’ve spent the last week reading the gleeful commentary about MS being able to tell Sony to fuck off once they acquire Activision.

there are no stipulations...

Nintendo Online emulators all have the ability to play retro games online by syncing up 2 or more instances.
exactly like Retroarch and other emulators. this introduces a decent amount of input lag and is only even remotely playable if you live in the same geneal region, by which I mean less than 800 KM away from eachother

the game itself has no online functionality, hence it has no online on Xbox.
Nintendo's emulator does have online functionality, hence it can be played online.

I am astonished how fucking uniformed people on here are sometimes, holy shit

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can still play the campaign though right.

Also, I can't even buy it on switch right...I have to get ninrendo online? Wack!

Banjo64

cumsessed
there are no stipulations...

Nintendo Online emulators all have the ability to play retro games online by syncing up 2 or more instances.
exactly like Retroarch and other emulators. this introduces a decent amount of input lag and is only even remotely playable if you live in the same geneal region, by which I mean less than 800 KM away from eachother

the game itself has no online functionality, hence it has no online on Xbox.
Nintendo's emulator does have online functionality, hence it can be played online.

I am astonished how fucking uniformed people on here are sometimes, holy shit
Er meh god Nintendo’s emulator has online play u uninformed fuckin peasants I can’t believe some of you actually leave the house sometimes

Well why couldn’t Xbox just release their completed XBLA version of the game with a functioning online similar to their release of Perfect Dark?

ass hole GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nah it’s the remaster that was leaked online, made for the 360. Not emulation

I think it isn't, we've seen long plays of the leaked 360 rebuild and it has different textures. This looks like the NSO version running in 4K.

Stuart360

I don't know why this is such a big deal. When I first saw this was coming, online multi-player was the farthest thing from my mind. All I was thinking of was running around as Oddjob in 4 play split screen.
Oh dude, i used to wind my mates up so mucnwhen i used to pick OddJob on N64 multiplayer. I would just run around them left and right picking them off and they could barely see me as i was so small.:messenger_tears_of_joy:
In fact is was the N64 multiplayer of this game that got me into playing multiplayer back then. So funny and so much fun.

Last edited:

Banned
Er meh god Nintendo’s emulator has online play u uninformed fuckin peasants I can’t believe some of you actually leave the house sometimes

Well why couldn’t Xbox just release their completed XBLA version of the game with a functioning online similar to their release of Perfect Dark?

ass hole GIF

that version was made by a different studio, might involve other licenses they didn't renew and don't have anymore.

also that version didn't have online mp either you uninformed peasant indeed

Top Bottom