• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[golem.de with Shawn Layden] Sony bets on real PS 5 instead of console revolution

it will, don't count on any forward compatibility though. i would hope they drop PS4 like brick once PS5 is released. get that nice graphical jump we all want from a new console that these half steps machines don't really achieve.
There's nothing Sony did or say, not just in that interview, that gives even a small hint of BC on ps5. But then again, ensuring that now would only make their defense for PS4 not having it be even more bullshit than it already is.

However, considering they couldn't even expose the whole Pro GPU to unpatched games, it's very likely that BC with ps4 would have to be hardware based, and if it really is chances are Sony won't support it.

It's obvious for Sony that has been sticking to that since they unveiled the Pro.

Well, they likely couldn't even if they wanted. You just don't wake up one day and decide to no longer have a generation Model, you plan for it, and it's clear that Sony isn't making the changes it needs to in order to support that model.

Now Ms is a complete different story. They are not only saying it, they are making the changes required to support that model.

Making what changes. What are they doing to get extra life out of the Jaguar well in to the 2020's?

They won't, MS will drop it too. Nextbox will have full back compat AND exclusive games. It's the only realistic way of progress. Book it!

Shin

Banned
Where there is smoke, there is fire.

I found this interesting but I've never heard of the site so probably some made up crap.
You have to optimize the production processes. During a meeting, AMD is widely talked about a variety of topics related to the technological evolution of the console world. In particular of the PlayStation 5 in relation to the launch of the Xbox One X (no controlled, in this case). Obviously, you have not provided the big details about the console itself, but it is mentioned at the year of launch, and issues of a strictly technical nature. Basic everything will depend on the technology that will mount in the console. AMD thinks that the PlayStation 5 comes out in 2020, although there is some possibility that arrivals in 2019. In the second case you will ...

emalord

I've seen so many good portings/remakes on ps4 that I'm no more sure I need BC
Why playing a game with no added futures AGAIN when I can play an updated and beefier version of it running at 1080/60 with better effects and post-processing shit?
(At a cost)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Completely agree, and hopefully no mandated PS4 compatibility.

Do you forget the huge amount of cross generational games that come out in the first year or two of a consoles life? It will happen regardless of what Sony says as publishers try to appeal to the tens of millions of owners still on last gen systems as well as new gen adopters.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thats fine and sensible. Assuming they stick with an x86 approach it doesn't even cause major issues with publishers - their workflows on PC based engines will adapt easily to PS5, and will be able to provide PS4/pro versions at relatively little additional cost - so they can cover both bases well.

Should be much less of an issue with launch content

c0de

I've seen so many good portings/remakes on ps4 that I'm no more sure I need BC
Why playing a game with no added futures AGAIN when I can play an updated and beefier version of it running at 1080/60 with better effects and post-processing shit?
(At a cost)

Well, if they provide something like MS does, for example?
Like forced v-sync, 16xaf for every game, better fps for games with variable framerate or dropped framerates, higher resolution in games with dynamic resolution, faster load times...
And everything without you spending money again, if you already own the game.

Nesther

Do you forget the huge amount of cross generational games that come out in the first year or two of a consoles life? It will happen regardless of what Sony says as publishers try to appeal to the tens of millions of owners still on last gen systems as well as new gen adopters.

There's a huge difference between a few third party crossgen popping up in the early days of a new consoles, compared to mandatory compatibility which would affect everyone, includinf 1st party.

*Splinter

If it is fully backwards compatible, it is de facto an iterative update. Except that unlike with phones, new games won't run on last generation's hardware.

If it's not backwards compatible, I'm not buying it.
PS2 had full backwards compatibility, as did early models of PS3.

"Iterative updates" refer to forward compatibility (which I hope the PS5 will not have).

If it is fully backwards compatible, it is de facto an iterative update. Except that unlike with phones, new games won't run on last generation's hardware.

If it's not backwards compatible, I'm not buying it.

So you consider PS2 (which was fully BC with PS1 games) and Wii (fully BC with GameCube games) iterative consoles?

gamz

Why not just come out and say the PS4 will be BC to whenever the next PlayStation is out? Wouldn't that elevate fears about going digital and what not. Them not saying it leaves the door open that it might not.

Dunno?!?!?

wapplew

Won't sell as well as PS4 at launch. Half gen shit make a lot customers sit on the sideline wait for PS5 Pro.

emalord

Like forced v-sync, 16xaf for every game, better fps for games with variable framerate or dropped framerates, higher resolution in games with dynamic resolution, faster load times...

Fair point, but the original game should be open from the get-go to future "lifting" and I'm not sure softcos are so devoted to their fanbase. It will also cost something and probably only a small part of the audience will appreciate.

Shin

Banned

Pretty much this, they better take notes because it's embarrassing how much MS is doing right with their hardware while PlayStation doesn't do shit but keeps banking.

Won't sell as well as PS4 at launch. Half gen shit make a lot customers sit on the sideline wait for PS5 Pro.
By then maybe 8-10 mill at best, scraps compared to base PS4 owners.

*Splinter

Why not just come out and say the PS4 will be BC to whenever the next PlayStation is out? Wouldn't that elevate fears about going digital and what not. Them not saying it leaves the door open that it might not.

Dunno?!?!?
I don't know if such a decision would be set in stone this early. I'm optimistic for BC but not surprised they are leaving their options open.

KORNdoggy

Dunno?!?!?

it's probably 3 years away, it's a bit early to be talking about details of a console, no? lol

_Ryo_

I think it will definitely have BC with PS4. It wont be FC in any way, except that maybe the PS5 game controller will work with a PS4.

What worries me more is that since other consoles are taking the iterrative approach, and are sacrificing power and technology so that future games work on older generations, third parties will develop for those consoles in mind first and not take advantage of the PS5 power difference.

*Splinter

I would think the customers who are willing to pay for a mid gen upgrade are the ones most likely to be in on day 1 with a proper console upgrade.

gamz

it's probably 3 years away, it's a bit early to be talking about details of a console, no? lol

With digital growing and more people fearing that it won't be, no.

Esp when you have MS coming out a year or so ago and saying it will be.

AmuroChan

Can't be stated often enough, this is a must from day 1 and not a couple of years later, because the damage would've already been done. MS will be there with BC on day 1, that's a certainty.

Don't f this up Soony and bring a new COLONY WARS too while I'm at it.

I agree with you, but I thought for certain Sony would allow cross-platform play as well and they didn't. Seems like arrogant Sony is back. I'm a little worried about BC on PS5.

Shin

Banned

Dunno?!?!?

You can't come out and confirm anything of a system that doesn't exists.
And if you did you would bring uncertainty to current buyers, meaning they will be more eager to wait for the new version.

jelly

Yep, it's bloody obvious. Just keep BC, devs can target both initially or longer but PS5 games only will exist. I can't wrap my head around people thinking otherwise.

Carn82

Generations will always exists, even with an iterative model. For example, if MS goes down the iterative route, at a point in the future, there will be games that won't play on the OG Xbox One. They'll have to leave those low power jaguars behind one day.

But I do hope Sony embraces backwards compatibilty. If they continue on with x86 (seems likely) and also keep working with AMD I can see it happen.

Mr Swine

Banned
Would be nice if PS5 could boost frame rate and add true 4K for all PS4 titles, kinda like what Pro is doing but on a hardware level

Luigiv

They will be using x86 again so I'm sure it will

I don't know if it will be that simple, though. The x86 ISA alone doesn't guarantee backwards compatibility, as microarcitechtures can still vary quite significantly even with the same ISA. Assuming PS5 is built on an iteration of Zen then that could potentially be problematic, as Zen is a totally different paradigm to Jaguar. It's really going to boil down to how u-arch agnostic and flexible PS4 code is.

Edit: Keep in mind, the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X both still use Jaguar, despite the fact Puma (a direct evolution of the Jaguar u-arch) existed as an option. Whilst we can't know for sure why, I'd wager it's because Puma would have broke BC.

Lucifon

If true then it's going to be a while until you can justify a big enough leap to cut all ties with the previous generation and start fresh.

Nesther

Dunno?!?!?

Binding yourself by promising something for a system stll in R&D and several years away is just nonsensical, compared to just shutting up and spilling the beans when it's time.

Shin

Banned
Would be nice if PS5 could boost frame rate and add true 4K for all PS4 titles

Only for:

DC32W5RXkAAzuwA.jpg:large

Hehehe

Top Bottom