• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[golem.de with Shawn Layden] Sony bets on real PS 5 instead of console revolution

Well that is obvious, for both platform holders. You can't keep making AAA games for a 2011 netbook CPU. A clean break next time is a must.

Hanmik

He also said that there will Never be a game that only runs on PS4 Pro (and not the OG PS4)...

Golem.de: Wann erscheint das erste Spiel, das auf der PS4 Pro läuft - aber nicht mehr auf einer Playstation 4?

Shawn Layden
: Das wird nie passieren!

Jacqli

I want to see if these console upgrades are going to affect initial sales or not. I know I am not going to buy one because there will be a Pro model, but I also know I am not the norm.

Not surprising in the least. I do hope they build in BC with PS4 though. It'd be insane of them to take a gamble with their current install base.

JaffeLion

Banned
so, does this mean that the PS5 will NOT run PS4/PS4 PRO Games?

This would be beyond stupid. Especially if the next Xbox, which will be about the same power as PS5, will play all Xbox One and Xbox One X games. (+ a lot of Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games).

_Ryo_

Didnt that other PS5 baseless speculation thread today say the exact opposite and that PS5 would be more like the XB1X and there wouldnt be a new generation?

If it is fully backwards compatible, it is de facto an iterative update. Except that unlike with phones, new games won't run on last generation's hardware.

If it's not backwards compatible, I'm not buying it.

Endo Punk

I prefer gens but next gen should be able to play current gen games or I ain't moving.

Holding new consoles accountable for old gen dated tech is stupid that's why I will never support the evolutionary model.

ramparter

Banned

This would be beyond stupid. Especially if the next Xbox, which will be about the same power as PS5, will play all Xbox One and Xbox One X games. (+ a lot of Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games).

It means that PS5 games wont run on PS4 / PS4 pro but we have now idea about PS4 games on PS5.

Shin

Banned
He also said that there will Never be a game that only runs on PS4 Pro (and not the OG PS4)...

That's true though ain't it, it's part of the same family, Pro just boosts the graphical fidelity a bit.

Golem.de: This means that you are more likely to rely on a real Playstation 5 - whenever that will be?

Layden: Yes. It will probably be some time.
It's a single line, the interviewer basically asked if there will be a PS5, Shawn says yes...

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

No one has said it won't or it will. Let's wait for concrete evidence before calling others stupid on a system's features that don't even exist yet.

eerik9000

No, it means PS4 will not run PS5 games.

DrakeDeception

Neo Member

No it means PS4/PS4 PRO won't run PS5 games. Which is great for PS5 games not being held back by old hardware.

Point me where he said that.

And if you can't, please slap yourself with a fish.

It better be BC with PS4 games though.

Can't be stated often enough, this is a must from day 1 and not a couple of years later, because the damage would've already been done. MS will be there with BC on day 1, that's a certainty.

Don't f this up Soony and bring a new COLONY WARS too while I'm at it.

Completely agree, and hopefully no mandated PS4 compatibility.

Ideal situation would PS5 plays all PS4 games but also has PS5 exclusives. Would allow Sony first party to focus 100% on PS5, while third party can move over more gradually.

Horizon Zero Dawn 2 as a PS5 exclusive needs to happen

gtj1092

If it is fully backwards compatible, it is de facto an iterative update. Except that unlike with phones, new games won't run on last generation's hardware.

If it's not backwards compatible, I'm not buying it.

What? If it was forward compatible it would be iterative update.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

No. It means ps5 games won't run on PS4 pro, you won't have 'floating' generations.

Backwards compatibility is another matter. I expect they'll do it unless it would substantially compromise the hardware design for ps5 software (as PS3 compatibility would have in PS4).

GOOCHY

It needs to be backward compatible *and* PSN needs to come along with. That means the same downloadable games that work on PS4 will work on PS5 and be available day one.

Well that is obvious, for both platform holders. You can't keep making AAA games for a 2011 netbook CPU. A clean break next time is a must.
It's obvious for Sony that has been sticking to that since they unveiled the Pro.

Well, they likely couldn't even if they wanted. You just don't wake up one day and decide to no longer have a generation Model, you plan for it, and it's clear that Sony isn't making the changes it needs to in order to support that model.

Now Ms is a complete different story. They are not only saying it, they are making the changes required to support that model.

KORNdoggy

It better be BC with PS4 games though.

it will, don't count on any forward compatibility though. i would hope they drop PS4 like brick a once PS5 is released. get that nice graphical jump we all want from a new console that these half steps machines don't really achieve.

jeffram

It doesn't mean that, but I guess it's possible. Emulating cell (PS3) on jaguar (PS4)might just be physically impossible. Going into o next gen it should be a lot easier to have bc due to x86.

What he's saying here is eventually they want developers to switch to PS5 only development since the advancements and power difference would hold games back if they had to support PS4 as well (PS4 forewards compatibility)

Top Bottom