• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story swings to the #1 spot on the US eShop

Golf Story has been out for only a handful of days and launched in a week of FIFA 18, Conga Master Party, Tower of Babel, Inverses Deluxe, ACA NEOGEO Burning Fight.
Brave Dungeon + Dark Witch Story, PICROSS S, Deemo, Sparkle 2, Astro Bears Party, Physical Contact: Picture Place, Pankapu, One Piece, Binaries and Butcher...surfice to say there was some competition for this indie game we knew little about until the day it released. Quite a success story.
jCIAzJ9.jpg

It's also #2 on the UK eShop

It's a great game and its success is well deserved.

But let's be real. It's not all that surprising, as Switch owners are starved for stories about golf.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Powerful Swing.

More than deserved....seeing those bestsellers makes the difference between Switch and Wii back then quite clear.

TheJoRu

That top 6 is really wonderful; nice mix of AAA and indie, Western and Japanese, and with great games like SWD2 and Golf Story at the top.

Cairnsay

Banned
Totally deserved. Game is one of the most charming I have played in recent years, and genuinely funny. Don't recall laughing aloud at a game this much since Stick of Truth.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Doesn't count, it's not a real game, it's not a retail release, it's not doing huge number overall, it's not real third party, it's not an fps, it's not...

/jk

Seriously: nobody kewn about it, and still t shines
great story, very good game too.

NotLiquid

It's kinda crazy to think that this game has entirely coasted off of word of mouth. It only had like, one trailer didn't it? The developers' social media rarely tweeted at all, not even during the Direct showcase, and the game was practically stealth released.

Like, this game kinda blew up out of nowhere.

Amazing success story, those two dudes must be partying like it's '99. Well deserved too, great game, among the best I played this year, which is brimming with quality.

kneePat

As another famished Switch owner, I, as a matter of principle, will only swallow that which is of good taste. Golf Story is a title that certainly, as they say, hits the proverbial 'spot'. I am satiated.

But, alas, my fast starts once again.

Stoze

It's kinda crazy to think that this game has entirely coasted off of word of mouth. It only had like, one trailer didn't it? The developers' social media rarely tweeted at all, not even during the Direct showcase, and the game was practically stealth released.

Like, this game kinda blew up out of nowhere.
And Opencritic and Metacritic only have one review for it (Eurogamer), and like no one in the OT has finished it. It's pretty crazy.

Excited to crack into it in the next few days.

Lovely game with good writing and a different core mechanic.

The trailer just made it look nice. An RPG where you solve problems through golf is just s nice idea and unique as far as I'm aware.

It must've spoken to people like me, who don't normally buy RPGs.

Wow. I wasn’t expecting it to hit number 1 until SteamWorld Dig 2 was out for two weeks.

Which means Golf Story has sold more in two days than SteamWorld Dig 2 sold in nine days. And that game sold very well for Image & Form.

Lizardus

Great news. I have no nostalgia for the Camelot games but when this game was first shown off, it instantly reminded me of those flash games I used to play on cartoonnetwork.com where you'd play as a CN characters such as Courage or PPG and go around doing quests in a top-down over-world much like in this game. The gameplay isn't similar but my mind somehow connected Golf Story to that.

Having played the game, it's simply amazing. Hard to believe that it was made by two guys and had no "hype" at all before being released.

Cerium

And Opencritic and Metacritic only have one review for it (Eurogamer), and like no one in the OT has finished it. It's pretty crazy.

Excited to crack into it in the next few days.

Yeah I don't think anyone in the OT has beaten it yet.

I can't remember that ever happening with a modern videogame; there's always, always someone who gets it early enough to see everything already. The mystery is never preserved to this degree. It reminds me of the good old days before the internet.

-shadow-

That's really great news. The game looks terrific. Might get it down the hole once I'm done with Thumper.

We prefer Ron Gilbert games and Twin Peaks in Spain.

dsc_0150gysq8.jpg
Tw... Twin Peaks? Anything that even slightly resembles Twin Peaks has my interest! Do tell more!

vareon

Man I wish the devs would come here and say something. Image & Form guys came to the Steamworld Dig 2 thread and we can congratulate them personally. Anyway, congrats to the devs!

Cerium

Man I wish the devs would come here and say something. Image & Form guys came to the Steamworld Dig 2 thread and we can congratulate them personally. Anyway, congrats to the devs!

If you were them what would you be doing?

That's right they're probably shitfaced drunk right now.

Top Bottom