• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gone GOLD PS5/SX/PC] Hogwarts Legacy will launch on April 4, 2023 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and on July 25, 2023 for Nintendo Switch.

Saber

Gold Member
Since the game is for multiple plataforms its not actually gold. Got feeling this will cause a bit of friction between those versions. In the end, gonna guess theres little to nothing for later versions and they will probably stop updating the game sooner, like Cyberpunk did.
Also, can't wait for them to reveal some cloud-stream version bullcrap for Switch.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PS5, Xbox Series and PC have gone gold.
Two months before release, hmmm.
Remember when that didn't mean absolutely nothing?
Seems like it's so they can focus on the last-gen versions and have a small team do the day one patch(es) for current-gen launch.

Distribution channels, while improving, are still FUBAR compared to pre-2020.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Crap tier last gen versions will probably hold the game back, like every other game where devs tried to appease as many people as possible by putting it on as many consoles as possible.

Tripolygon

Banned
Congrats to the team, it seems like such a fun game. I will play it on PC so i hope they have DualSens support in the PC version.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is the right way to do it for cross gen games going forward. Release the current gen game version first so you avoid all the negative impact of how shitty the last gen version of the game is and you also give the dev more time working on those versions, so when last version hit it will be less noisy as people with the most interest already bought the best version of the game and playing it. You’ll get better impressions from reviewers and gamers.

That's in line with what I said, devs are having to design it with crap tier last gen hardware in mind first and foremost. Current gen is an after thought.
No, they're limited by the budget of the game. Go compare the PS5 version of this with the PS4 version of The Last of Us Part 2.

It isn't the hardware that is the limiting factor here.

jaysius

Banned
Switch version will keep getting delayed, it's probably vaporware at this point.

It'll look like pure shit.

The time lag between current gen and dead gen is really weird too for games today. There must be a ton of work to downgrade.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Have you seen the game? It's not exactly pushing the limits of the PS4, much less the PS5.

I disagree. The scale of the environments & what appears to be zero load times when traversing between inside and out of Hogwarts is definitely ambitious and would be difficult to pull off on last-gen hardware.

That's in line with what I said, devs are having to design it with crap tier last gen hardware in mind first and foremost. Current gen is an after thought.

Current-gen is an after thought yet it's coming out 2 months before the last-gen versions?

Sure Jan GIF

Last edited:

kiphalfton

No, they're limited by the budget of the game. Go compare the PS5 version of this with the PS4 version of The Last of Us Part 2.

It isn't the hardware that is the limiting factor here.
To an extent, but the LoU II didn't have to build the game around multiple platforms though...

In any case by the time the last gen versions of this game are released, and people find out it looks the same between current gen and last gen... WB will already have run off with current gen owner's money. Since there will be no way to compare the two at current gen launch. Obviously current gen will look and perform better, but by hoe much nobody will know.

kiphalfton

I disagree. The scale of the environments & what appears to be zero load times when traversing between inside and out of Hogwarts is definitely ambitious and would be difficult to pull off on last-gen hardware.

Current-gen is an after thought yet it's coming out 2 months before the last-gen versions?

Sure Jan GIF

On the surface you would think so. But think about it for a minute. By releasing the current gen versions and holding off on the last gen versions, there will be no way to compare the two at launch when the current gen version is released.

The devs could totally screw current gen owners, and release something similar to ACIV Black Flag, where there's barely any difference between current gen and last gen.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
On the surface you would think so. But think about it for a minute. By releasing the current gen versions and holding off on the last gen versions, there will be no way to compare the two at launch when the current gen version is released.

The devs could totally screw current gen owners, and release something similar to ACIV Black Flag, where there's barely any difference between current gen and last gen.

This is some nonsensical conspiracy theory shit. They aren't delaying last-gen versions, potentially losing a lot of those day one sales in the process, to hide that the current-gen versions are identical to the last-gen versions. Like literally a 0% chance of that.

If nothing else we know for a fact that the current-gen versions will render at higher resolutions and have much faster load times. And I'm sure there will be many more benefits than just that.

Last edited:

Klik

Too bad its crossgen. Can't even imagine what kind of compromises they had to to be able to run it on jaguar cpu, hdd..

For this kind if huge game i really wish it was made for ps5/xboxSX/pc in mind on UE5

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Too bad its crossgen. Can't even imagine what kind of compromises they had to to be able to run it on jaguar cpu, hdd..

For this kind if huge game i really wish it was made for ps5/xboxSX/pc in mind on UE5

Dev behind this game seems to be inexperienced so I doubt they would utilize next-gen features anyway.

eMBE1cx.png

Last edited:

kiphalfton

This is some nonsensical conspiracy theory shit. They aren't delaying last-gen versions, potentially losing a lot of those day one sales in the process, to hide that the current-gen versions are identical to the last-gen versions. Like literally a 0% chance of that.

If nothing else we know for a fact that the current-gen versions will render at higher resolutions and have much faster load times. And I'm sure there will be many more benefits than just that.

What a stupid take. How tf would they lose sales from last gen owners, if last gen owners can't do anything but wait since they probably don't have current gen consoles.

If anything, it would be the other way around, where sales would be negatively affected for current gen if theybwere to release the two at the same time and the game looks the same on current gen and last gen.

LOGICALLY speaking, if they released the game on current gen only there is nothing to compare it against and they secure those sales without that worry.

No conspiracy theories, but if you want to feel special because they're releasing the game on current gen first... then more power to you.

Honestly this is probably the smart way to handle cross gen releases.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Remember when mortal kombat x was supposed to launch on xbox 360 and ps3 before they got canned? I wouldnt be shocked if these versions potentially get the same treatment. Either way, relieved ill be able to at least play on ps5 in February.

Skifi28

That's one way to avoid being the new cyberpunk, but proof is in the pudding. It'll be even more hilarious if the last gen versions still end up broken.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Remember when mortal kombat x was supposed to launch on xbox 360 and ps3 before they got canned? I wouldnt be shocked if these versions potentially get the same treatment. Either way, relieved ill be able to at least play on ps5 in February.

I don't think MK ever got a release date. This is different, and especially with a Switch version also coming, the tech-side is not going to be the roadblock.

Switch version will keep getting delayed, it's probably vaporware at this point.

It'll look like pure shit.

The time lag between current gen and dead gen is really weird too for games today. There must be a ton of work to downgrade.
Switch version is going to have an extra intro scene where Voldemort throws sand in Harry's eyes at the very beginning then runs off laughing. Then the rest of the game everything will look very blurry.

i really hope this game doesn't suck. i'm a huge HP fan and have been desperately waiting for a new HP game but i'm trying not to get too excited about this until i see some reviews. i don't usually bother with reviews but i think i need to see them for this game.

Last edited:
i really hope this game doesn't suck. i'm a huge HP fan and have been desperately waiting for a new HP game but i'm trying not to get too excited about this until i see some reviews. i don't usually bother with reviews but i think i need to see them for this game.
Reviews will be pretty unreliable for anything within 100 yards of JK Rowling.

I think you'd be better off listening to user impressions and watching video.

peronmls

This game got such a downgrade in terms of visuals. The lighting looks flat now. So much for the charming and atmospheric look.

Honestly, it’s fine. Two reasons:

1) they’re taking what happened with CDPR to heart and don’t want to be the “next Cyberpunk”

2) next-gen console install base is exponentially increasing going into this generation’s third holiday sales season. By February I think the share of users on the old SKUs will be minimal, outside of perhaps Switch. But no matter what that version will be significantly compromised, but that everyone understands that going in.

I think this was a good call on their part. And also smart business move, sort of “forcing” users to buy the current-gen. Similar to what Nintendo did with the launch of Twilight Princess in 2006. If you wanted the GameCube version over buying a Wii, you had to wait 3 weeks longer. No other reason than wanting people to buy the new hardware.

Top Bottom