• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Gaming TV?

S0ULZB0URNE

They don't say but I can't imagine it being that higher than OLEDs with it's ALMM, VRRs and 144 hz refreshrate.
It's not likely to beat the low input lag HDMI 2.1 tv's either.

The days for monitor superiority are over.
Unless someone needs a small display but if it's IPS than...oh well that's another topic.

It's not likely to beat the low input lag HDMI 2.1 tv's either.

The days for monitor superiority are over.
Unless someone needs a small display but if it's IPS than...oh well that's another topic.
Yeah, input lag is low across the board now.

And personally I never would have used monitors over TVs back in the day either for console games because I prefer the best picture.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Oled owners in here be like
Dave Chappelle Im Rich Bitch GIF

Setzer

I would say go OLED. If you can get a good deal on a C9 or CX then I would go that route. I would also consider getting it from Best Buy and get their extended warranty because as far as I know they're the only ones that will cover burn-in and it's probably something that will happen if you do a lot of gaming on it. I got the 65" C9 from them last year and so far it's been great and haven't had any issues.

SpokkX

I'd say if your content is not varied at all then OLEDs might be the lesser choice also.

yeah i use my tv 95% for gaming and kids use it also.. they leave static menues in games on all the time

got burn in fast on a LG… switched to the latest samsung (qn95a with 4xhdmi 2.1). Better brightmess and still good black levels (not as good as oled of course) - oh and no worries about burn in

Last edited:

Calverz

Go OLED my friend. It’s the biggest gaming upgrade you will get in a long time. If it’s not in your budget then I think Samsung do the best LED tv’s (QLED is just LED).
but if you can stretch or wait to save a little more, go OLED. I have the LG CX and it’s blown me away. Demons souls was an absolute joy to play on.

Here are a few things about getting a Samsung QLED. First, in the US, they only have one HDMI 2.1 port. That really limits you on 4K 120fps if you own a PS5 and XSX, not to mention a gaming PC capable of the same. LG has four HDMI 2.1 ports on its OLEDs. Sony has 2.

Second, Sony motion is superior to Samsung, so if you’re sensitive to that, you will want to consider the Sony LEDs that are in that price range. Although, all Sony TVs are still waiting VRR updates.

Third, Samsung screens are notorious for dirty screen effect. All LEDs suffer from this, but Samsung is known to be poor in this regard.

Fourth, Samsung game mode raises blacks and makes the picture look much worse than game modes for Sony or the LG OLEDs.

Lastly, Samsung does not support Dolby Vision, instead they support HDR 10+ which is very limited. LG and Sony support Dolby Vision.

On the topic of OLEDs being organic and fading over time as well as the risk of burn in. I doubt most people keep their tv beyond 5 years. I am an exception, but I paid for the extended warranty from BB. In 5 years we may be looking at microLED as a viable option. I don’t think overpaying for a Samsung QLED is personally worth it.
The dolby vision is definitely a bummer for sure. Having only 1 HDMI 2.1 port could be an issue, I considered that when shopping around. Ultimately the OLEDs horrible vrr problems that can't be fixed via firmware outweighed it. What's the point of having all those extra 2.1 ports if VRR is make the gamma go crazy.

It all comes down to personal preference. While some might not care if their tv lasts more than 5 years, I do. We've got several TVs in my house, and they for one reason or another, some get swapped out or replace others from time to time. My daughters don't really care about image quality and all that so long as they can occasionally watch whatever horrible crap it is they tend to watch. The boys however do. The majority of my Xb1X life has been spent plugged into Mitsubishi DLP lol. I can't remember what year I bought it, but I know it was definitely prior to 2012.

I'm with you on waiting for microLED. That's the system I've been waiting on. There's no question that at peak performance in a dark room. OLED can pull off the best looking display. I just eventually realized that it requiring the right content, with perfect settings, in a blacked out room. Simply wasn't worth the trade off. Especially at those prices. So I paid $700 for a Q658T for my series X. I have a 2019 LG OLED in one of the girls room that developed burn in at about the 1 year mark. It isn't all that bad, but enough to where I won't by another if I plan to game on it.

The dolby vision is definitely a bummer for sure. Having only 1 HDMI 2.1 port could be an issue, I considered that when shopping around. Ultimately the OLEDs horrible vrr problems that can't be fixed via firmware outweighed it. What's the point of having all those extra 2.1 ports if VRR is make the gamma go crazy.

It all comes down to personal preference. While some might not care if their tv lasts more than 5 years, I do. We've got several TVs in my house, and they for one reason or another, some get swapped out or replace others from time to time. My daughters don't really care about image quality and all that so long as they can occasionally watch whatever horrible crap it is they tend to watch. The boys however do. The majority of my Xb1X life has been spent plugged into Mitsubishi DLP lol. I can't remember what year I bought it, but I know it was definitely prior to 2012.

I'm with you on waiting for microLED. That's the system I've been waiting on. There's no question that at peak performance in a dark room. OLED can pull off the best looking display. I just eventually realized that it requiring the right content, with perfect settings, in a blacked out room. Simply wasn't worth the trade off. Especially at those prices. So I paid $700 for a Q658T for my series X. I have a 2019 LG OLED in one of the girls room that developed burn in at about the 1 year mark. It isn't all that bad, but enough to where I won't by another if I plan to game on it.
I like to keep TVs myself. I just got a new tv after using the same 37 inch Panasonic LCD from 2011. I got the burn in protection and hope to replace it before 5 years if necessary. I hope to make it to microLED.

yeah i use my tv 95% for gaming and kids use it also.. they leave static menues in games on all the time

got burn in fast on a LG… switched to the latest samsung (qn95a with 4xhdmi 2.1). Better brightmess and still good black levels (not as good as oled of course) - oh and no worries about burn in
Mine as well. If this was a movie forum, or a question about a tv to watch movies or tv with only brief or occasional gaming, I'd totally get the majority of responses here. I'd agree, if your watching movies and want the absolute best image, OLED is definitely the way to go.

On a gaming forum about which tv to game on? I'd expect to see the occasional OLED suggestion from those who don't know any better, but not near this many. Apparently many Gaffers spend more time here than actually gaming. Otherwise they'd all have burn in by now. Lol

I like to keep TVs myself. I just got a new tv after using the same 37 inch Panasonic LCD from 2011. I got the burn in protection and hope to replace it before 5 years if necessary. I hope to make it to microLED.
Right on. I feel either way we're all just "settling" until microLED comes to save us. I'm sacrificing and settling on some things, while your sacrificing and settling on others. All in the belief that our beloved savior microLED will save us, and lead us to the promise land. 😇

SpokkX

Mine as well. If this was a movie forum, or a question about a tv to watch movies or tv with only brief or occasional gaming, I'd totally get the majority of responses here. I'd agree, if your watching movies and want the absolute best image, OLED is definitely the way to go.

On a gaming forum about which tv to game on? I'd expect to see the occasional OLED suggestion from those who don't know any better, but not near this many. Apparently many Gaffers spend more time here than actually gaming. Otherwise they'd all have burn in by now. Lol
Yes I agree

If you use your TV for all kinds of content. split evenly between gaming, movies and TV - OLED is a great choice

My split is like 95% gaming (at least 8 hours every day by different users) and 5% movies (max) - that counts as an "extreme" use case for OLED that WILL lead to burn in

Last edited:
Yes I agree

If you use your TV for all kinds of content. split evenly between gaming, movies and TV - OLED is a great choice

My split is like 95% gaming (at least 8 hours every day by different users) and 5% movies (max) - that counts as an "extreme" use case for OLED that WILL lead to burn in

I agree about content being key for decision making. My days of extreme gaming use are long gone. Most of my tv time is watching movies with my wife when the kids are in bed.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I agree about content being key for decision making. My days of extreme gaming use are long gone. Most of my tv time is watching movies with my wife when the kids are in bed.
Kids are the main reason I'm not going to get an OLED. The amount of times I go into the living room and the kids have left the screen on with the content paused makes me think I'd get burn in pretty quick.

So right now I'm still most likely to get a 65" X90J or X95J in a couple of months.

Kids are the main reason I'm not going to get an OLED. The amount of times I go into the living room and the kids have left the screen on with the content paused makes me think I'd get burn in pretty quick.

So right now I'm still most likely to get a 65" X90J or X95J in a couple of months.

My kids are all under 5. They have no control over the tv. There are screensavers anyway that go on after a few minutes. It’s not a worry for me.

tmlDan

I got the 65 inch LG C1......the thing is damn beautiful.

get an LG for gaming, the Sony TV's are amazing but they need updates for VRR and more HDMI2.1 ports - plus they cost a lot more.

TheGrat1

"Yeah, so I am looking for a good gaming TV to compliment a PS5... OLED is an option too if you want to recommend one."

Need a good gaming TV to compliment a PS5? LG CX. It's an OLED, which is an option that he allowed for and I recommended one. LG CX. There's literally enough information to say for sure right now. If you have a PS5 or XSX you get the LG CX.

LG CX.
This post brought to you by the LG CX.

LG: Life's Good (y)

Basedon what I am seeing online looks like people are saying F samsung this year but Hisense has the U7G and the U8G that are looking pretty good non OLED options that are still pretty affordable.

SpokkX

My kids are all under 5. They have no control over the tv. There are screensavers anyway that go on after a few minutes. It’s not a worry for me.

yeah give it a year then…

you dont want to be in a situation where you try to limit/constrain the ”way” you kids are gaming

trying to get them not to leave the minecraft menues on while going for a snack or even going outside - yeah that kind of policing is not worth anything. With a QLED i dont have to bother

Last edited:
yeah give it a year then…

you dont want to be in a situation where you try to limit/constrain the ”way” you kids are gaming

trying to get them not to leave the minecraft menues on while going for a snack or even going outside - yeah that kind of policing is not worth anything. With a QLED i dont have to bother

My wife hates gaming so my kids won’t play much. It’s not an issue in my house. The biggest issue would be them throwing something at the tv.

SkylineRKR

The LG CX is crazy value for money. I bought a Samsung 55 KS9000 in 2017 for like 1400 euros. It was good but it did have candlelight, worse viewing angle and some other quirks that pissed me off compared to my ageing Plasma. Bought the 55 CX early this year for lower than 1000. I was instantly in love with it. Great black levels, viewing angle, no local dimming shit. Even out of the box the Light room setting looked good enough actually. It was like having my Plasma back, but then with todays specs.

If you were a Plasma aficionado then OLED is a no brainer, if you are into LED brightness than look at other options. Burn in concerns are a valid reason to dismiss OLED. I remember that with my 2010 Plasma, I never had permanent burn in after 7 years of extensive use. I sometimes forgot to turn it off at night, or left it on a disconnected HDMI channel. But the burn in was never permanently, always faded away. I don't know how OLED stacks up. Not gonna try yet lol.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
My kids do have control of the TV (well my 6yo) does. Normally I like them to learn from their own mistakes, but not with a £1800 TV 😆
My wife hates gaming so my kids won’t play much. It’s not an issue in my house. The biggest issue would be them throwing something at the tv.
I feel that pain too, my 3yo threw a building block at my current screen (when she was 2) and it made a decent size scratch on it 🤦‍♂️

I've not completely ruled out OLED I just have to get one at a price I can justify writing off after a couple of years

Rikkori

People have no real understanding of display technology or human vision, so on forums like this one (and its pink counterpart) where people are focused on console gaming they just hear OLED's the best from one or two influencers and then the hive mind reinforces the message. So now you just have that message being repeated over & over without really understanding anything about it, and because everyone says it it makes it that much easier for others to join in and say it too because there's a consensus and you're less likely to be challenged on it.

The marketing has a very strong hold on people, and they want to believe it in the first place, so that's exactly what happens. F.ex. you can see this whenever any reviewer/influencer talks about the "new advanced processing" for Sony, but when you test the differences year over year it's imperceptible except with equipment worth $10000s & specific test patterns. Nonetheless they still hype it up as if it's a big deal just because it's in their marketing handbook & it's safer to lie to your viewers who aren't very discerning anyway rather than risk your sponsorships and review samples.

It's the same for burn-in, all the drones will talk about how it's no longer a thing, about pixel-shift this or that, when in reality all the data we do have on this subject shows very clearly there's a much shorter lifespan (between 3K to 14K hours) for an OLED's usability than for a competing LCD of a similar price. And that's not just across WOLED generations but also across different types of OLED displays. Plus the biggest red flag (heh) should have been from all the mastering OLEDs which also end up burning out in short order (and why studios have moved BACK to LCDs), and those are $30K+ displays specifically engineered for that task, and yet people believe their $1K TV somehow is an exception, even though warranty specifically excludes it.

Alas, I've long since stopped arguing about it, I'd rather people get burned on their own because as the saying goes, hindsight is better than foresight. Some people need to feel the lesson for it to take root.

Last edited:
People have no real understanding of display technology or human vision, so on forums like this one (and its pink counterpart) where people are focused on console gaming they just hear OLED's the best from one or two influencers and then the hive mind reinforces the message. So now you just have that message being repeated over & over without really understanding anything about it, and because everyone says it it makes it that much easier for others to join in and say it too because there's a consensus and you're less likely to be challenged on it.

The marketing has a very strong hold on people, and they want to believe it in the first place, so that's exactly what happens. F.ex. you can see this whenever any reviewer/influencer talks about the "new advanced processing" for Sony, but when you test the differences year over year it's imperceptible except with equipment worth $10000s & specific test patterns. Nonetheless they still hype it up as if it's a big deal just because it's in their marketing handbook & it's safer to lie to your viewers who aren't very discerning anyway rather than risk your sponsorships and review samples.

It's the same for burn-in, all the drones will talk about how it's no longer a thing, about pixel-shift this or that, when in reality all the data we do have on this subject shows very clearly there's a much shorter lifespan (between 3K to 14K hours) for an OLED's usability than for a competing LCD of a similar price. And that's not just across WOLED generations but also across different types of OLED displays. Plus the biggest red flag (heh) should have been from all the mastering OLEDs which also end up burning out in short order (and why studios have moved BACK to LCDs), and those are $30K+ displays specifically engineered for that task, and yet people believe their $1K TV somehow is an exception, even though warranty specifically excludes it.

Alas, I've long since stopped arguing about it, I'd rather people get burned on their own because as the saying goes, hindsight is better than foresight. Some people need to feel the lesson for it to take root.
TV calibration professionals and av enthusiasts generally prefer OLED for the superior viewing experience even if the life of the set will be shorter.

It's the same for burn-in, all the drones will talk about how it's no longer a thing, about pixel-shift this or that, when in reality all the data we do have on this subject shows very clearly there's a much shorter lifespan (between 3K to 14K hours) for an OLED's usability than for a competing LCD of a similar price.

I dont get how people think pixel shift will prevent burn in. If I'm understanding it correctly, the way it works is that it shifts the image x number of pixels left - right -up - down. It seems to me if you display an image long enough with static elements that pixel shift will eventually burn in a larger area than if you didnt use pixel shift.

Barneyco

The best deal is that Hisense U8G.
I'm still deciding on either the 65" u8g or x90j. Rtings came out saying the u8g is a better overall set but I've seen videos about ghosting in game mode. If they can fix it with an update I'm gonna jump on it.

Mister Wolf

Yes, but PS5 doesn’t have VRR yet. Would that stop you from getting it?

I game on a PC hooked up to my TV using VRR. If I didn't have that I would definitely have a PS5 and Series X. Every last multiplatform game I would get on the Series X because of the VRR support. The only people you will hear downplay Gsync/VRR/Freesync is people who have never used it.

Last edited:
I game on a PC hooked up to my TV using VRR. If I didn't have that I would definitely have a PS5 and Series X. Every last multiplatform game I would get on the Series X because of the VRR support. The only people you will hear downplay Gsync/VRR/Freesync is people who have never used it.

Ok, fair enough. I’m just of the mindset that if the PS5 doesn’t have it yet, then I will be patient for Sony on the tv side. I see that as consistent logic.

Oled, not just for black levels, motion is handled much better then lcd in game mode, go oled if u can afford it, if ur worried about brightness, just dim the lights, who plays in a bright sunlit room, anyways.

Top Bottom