• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Guy EA: Lets give everyone The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection!

Marche90

They got me to download Origin (again) and The Sims, so great for them, I guess. The Sims download took like 6 or 7 hours.

Also, holy shit at the first time loading. Takes ages.

Uhm, for those of you who might know: how do I activate V-sync? I just can't find the option in settings.

McNum

Holy shit. Good enough time to jump on The Sims bandwagon I guess.
If there even is one.
There is one, it is huge and crazy, it's just not around here. Or if it is here, it sort of hides.

Man, am I glad that I won't have to do that crazy The Sims 2 disk installation again. That thing is the stuff of legends. It starts out... with a quiz show about The Sims 2. Then the CD swapping begins. Then you have to install the expansions in order, and good luck remembering that if you have any Stuff Packs, too, and then the CD swapping gets crazy as it starts to request CDs from previous expansion and the base game while installing. Now I hit Download and it self installs.

Oh, and a heads up for people new to Sims 2: The game has a limit on how many Sims, living or dead, there can be in a Neighborhood save file until that file becomes unreadable. It is rather high, but it IS possible to hit it, especially if the game auto-creates NPCs a lot.

Be aware: The Sims 2 has a save corruption bug. It always did. EA made it less likely to happen, but it WILL happen at some point. If you get a pet save file, make backups. Don't worry about this in normal play, it's at least 4-5 generations in before the first signs of this star to even show up, unless you do something that seems harmless enough, but actually isn't.

So whatever you do: Never, ever, move a Sim between Neighborhoods. No, not even then. Moving a Sim will transfer a dead copy of all their relationships with it. Meaning you just added a nearly full neighborhood's volume of Sims to your game. Combine that with the bug above, and you can see where this is going. Do not do this. Ever.

If you keep that in mind Sims 2 is pretty stable.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is this game supposed to not be done loading after 10 minutes or does it not run on Windows 8 out of the box because EA cant be assed to be competent for once?

TS2's never been compatible with Win 8, as far as I know. There might be a fix for it floating around on the internet, but no official update.

I've never had any issues with anything that people got running on Win7 though. Ever. I read that apparently it does take over 10 minutes for it to finish loading the first time so it's probably that.

Berordn

Is this game supposed to not be done loading after 10 minutes or does it not run on Windows 8 out of the box because EA cant be assed to be competent for once?

TS2's never been compatible with Win 8, as far as I know. There might be a fix for it floating around on the internet, but no official update.

McNum

I've never had any issues with anything that people got running on Win7 though. Ever. I read that apparently it does take over 10 minutes for it to finish loading the first time so it's probably that.
The first load, especially with every expansion installed, will take a long time. It has to make the neighborhoods, the sub neighborhoods, cache every single article of clothing, and all kinds of things.

10 minutes is a little extreme, but not unlikely. It's the first run for ALL the expansions. Pets, Weather, Magic, and... five sub neighborhoods?

RayMaker

Banned
Anyone any luck with the key code issue?

I tried opening from the start menu and it still happens!

Hope EA fix it im kinda of hyped to play some sims now :(

im using win7 64 bit, maybe thats why?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The first load, especially with every expansion installed, will take a long time. It has to make the neighborhoods, the sub neighborhoods, cache every single article of clothing, and all kinds of things.

10 minutes is a little extreme, but not unlikely. It's the first run for ALL the expansions. Pets, Weather, Magic, and... five sub neighborhoods?

Yeah game works like a charm now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is it weird that I am really excited to get into this? I had The Sims and the Living Large pack waaaaaaaay back and I enjoyed it.

I think I'm gonna be a mad scientist / guitar pro.

Flandy

I'm scared to boot this game up. I don't know if I can handle this much content at once. Sucks that The Sims 2 has so many loading times though. That's going to be hard to go back to after getting used to The Sims 3 seamless neighborhood.

I'll just scratch another entry from my "Games that are fun to play, but have a horrendous installation process" now. Just click Download and install it all without worrying about install orders, including patching everything in the right order, will be amazing.

So, nice freebie. I'll take it.

This is by far the best part about the Ultimate Collection.

Sims 2 wasn't "alive" when digital PC gaming got big. For most of its life the every expansion was released on CDs. If you didn't buy them in bundles, you had to run a whopping 18 installers if you were doing a fresh install. This doesn't include the fact that most of the main expansions came in multiple disks, so you probably opened and closed the damn CD tray 30+ times in total.

With this it's a simple click-to-install and one installer. Holy fuck if this is one game that greatly benefits from it going digital at once it's this one.

EDIT: I see you later elaborated on this :) Let me just say I agree.

Alrus

I tried playing this but I get the intro cinematic then it gets stuck forever on the "Fun with Pets" title screen, I can't even tab out.

This is amazing. I've lost the majority of my Sims 2 discs and this is the first time it's available in a digital format, correct? Can't wait.

Unicorn

I'm guessing the logic behind it is:

*Get people who otherwise wouldn't to download Origin
*Get people interested in The Sims again
* People get frustrated butting their heads against the game's limitations
*"There just happens to be a new Sims game that solves all your issues!"
*Sims 4 bewcomes the first Trillion seller.

Step 1 worked on me; the jury is out on the rest.

Except Sims 2 is arguably going to be more feature-rich and open ended compared to Sims 4.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, this shit is way better than 1. Also being a wizard is EZ mode because you can get an evil throne that fills all your bars.

Also windowed mode works, just add -w in the target path :D. Keeps loading even if the window is inactive too, unlike full screen mode, which helps with enduring the loading.

It's been a nightmare for me, every time I try to load the tutorial it crashes on me. I've tried running as admin, I've tried compatibility mode, I'm having no luck.

Vandiger

How so? I recall 3 having less micromanagement, which was fine by me. Plus the open neighbourhoods were a huge step forward despite performance issues.

I've been playing it for last couple of days. Its too fucking addicting, add in some custom content people have created over the years and yeah I'm blown away I never played this game until now. Users have created a bunch of bug fixes and less micromanaging tools to make this game a joy to play despite the shitty loading times.

NewGame

Banned
Just letting everyone know, if you try to find or buy Sims 2 on the Origin Store you get offered 24,000 SimPoints for the low low price of $160.

And by the way, have you tried Battlefield 4?

9pKvGg.png

Zareka

Argh! I got late to this.
And even have the original Sims 2 :(

Honestly, I think they should just stick this up as a permanent free download. They ended up giving it to everyone anyway, I don't see the point of making it a limited thing. It's not as if they're losing out on sales.

Zareka

Never played a Sims game, is 2 still fun or is it better to go with 3 these days?

I would recommend 3 over 2 if it didn't run like complete ass. I've been playing The Sims 2 again recently and it's still great fun. Give it a shot if you can more easily get ahold of 2, especially if it's the Ultimate Collection download.

Edit: Damn it, double posted again. My bad, sorry.

Moozo

Honestly, I think they should just stick this up as a permanent free download. They ended up giving it to everyone anyway, I don't see the point of making it a limited thing. It's not as if they're losing out on sales.

Yeah, what's the deal? You can't even buy it.

Top Bottom