• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good order to play the MGS games in?

pramod

Banned
Being an almost total MGS neophyte(only ones I've beaten are Metal Gear on NES and the original MGS on PS1) I've decided to finally play through all the remaining games in the series.

Any suggestions on a good order to play them in? Or should I just go in order of the release dates? ie:

Solid Snake
MGS2
MGS3
Peace Walker
(I can't play MGS4 since I don't have a PS3)
MGS5: Ground Zeros
MGS5: Phantom Pain
?

Fbh

Release order.
It works with the story and you'll get a natural progression of visuals and gameplay (well except for Peace walker).

Shifty1897

When it would come time to play 4, I would definitely ask around to see if anyone you know would be willing to let you borrow a PS3 to play it. You'd be surprised who still has one in a garage or something. Alternatively, you could hope it comes to one of the PSPlus streaming tiers.

PaintTinJr

Being an almost total MGS neophyte(only ones I've beaten are Metal Gear on NES and the original MGS on PS1) I've decided to finally play through all the remaining games in the series.

Any suggestions on a good order to play them in? Or should I just go in order of the release dates? ie:

Solid Snake
MGS2
MGS3
Peace Walker
(I can't play MGS4 since I don't have a PS3)
MGS5: Ground Zeros
MGS5: Phantom Pain
?
I would think playing Peace Walker after the others might ruin it because of how starkly scaled back it all is technically compared to the rest- as a PSP game.

So I would play that first, then play MGS5: GZ, then head back to Twin Snakes on the Cube for a refresher - if you previously played on PS1 -because it technically fits better before MGS2/3 IMO - then play iMGS2 then MGS3 and either MGS4 or MGS5: PT - if you managed to avoid playing it straight after Ground Zero - I personally would play 4 after 5 now, because it would leave the story at a better point IMO.

Peace Walker
MGS5: GZ
MGS1: Twin Snakes
MGS2
MGS3
MGS5: PT
MGS4

Release order is really the only way to go through the series.

You should probably replay MGS1 though, because it will enhance your experience of playing MGS2. You can probably skip MG1 (a story summary would be like a paragraph long, so just read one for a refresher) but MG2 is actually kind of a bad ass game so I'd check it out at least.

I would think playing Peace Walker after the others might ruin it because of how starkly scaled back it all is technically compared to the rest- as a PSP game.
Honestly if you play Peace Walker before MGSV you will realize how scaled back MGSV is compared to Peace Walker.

PaintTinJr

Solid snake is Metal gear 2: Solid Snake. OP already played MGS1

4 is just a large fanservice and not really necessary to follow other games, not exactly a highlight in the series either. Playing it or skipping it, either is fine.
Even to this day the octo camouflage is one of my favourite visuals in gaming. It looks stunning and well worth the 15min mid game install IMO.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I started with MGS2, and then did MGS1, and from there on the order they were released in.

I have no idea if that's what you're supposed to do, but I really enjoyed it.

A.Romero

Release order.

IMO don't skip MGS4, it brings much needed closure after 2.

Personally, I felt Peace Walker to be a chore. Don't really think you would be missing much lore wise.

GHound

Release order is the best way to play 'em yeah. Metal Gear 2 is still one of my favorites in the series. After you've played it you can definitely tell what MGS1 evolved from as it lays most of the groundwork for it. It's actually really impressive how much of the identity of the series was born through that game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah just play them in the order they released

Yep.

Trying to play them to any form of chronological order will just confuse the shit out of you. They add stuff based on previous released games regardless of where it falls in the timeline.

EDMIX

The order they released in imho is good enough.

To even enjoy a lot of stuff in MGS3 or Peace Walker, you still need to know some of the stuff from MGS1, 2 etc. So though a lot of the series is in the past, I don't see a massive benefit into playing out of order of release, like based on the order of events or something.

As you know Big Boss is a bad guy with the first Metal Gear, but when you play 3, you are wondering why this person turned into a bad guy, but that leads into an amazing game knowing that he would BECOME that in the first place, so its a prequel where knowing that actually helps.

dotnotbot

I see MGS experts are here. Is it fine to play 5 before 4? Are there spoilers of any kind for the story of 4 in 5 for some weird reason? or some kind of easter egg I won't understand? I know 5 happens before 4 but I'm still not sure how they connect.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I see MGS experts are here. Is it fine to play 5 before 4? Are there spoilers of any kind for the story of 4 in 5 for some weird reason? or some kind of easter egg I won't understand? I know 5 happens before 4 but I'm still not sure how they connect.

A lot of what happens in MGSV is lore thats already known in the MGS series like Big Boss and Ocelot working together, Miller being best friends with Big Boss etc I'd still recommend playing MGS4 before 5 though.

MGS4 is much heavier on the story then MGSV and much shorter too.

Last edited:

solidus12

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid Portable OPS
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain

And there you have it.

Also, if you have a PS3 make sure to download METAL GEAR SOLID DATABASE, it's like an MGS encyclopedia.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Curious about metal gear survive. Is it a so bad is good case?
I don't even care about how "metal Geary" the game is. Maybe it's a fun game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not including the originals MG1&2?
release order.
MGS1
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
STOP!
you can play MGS5 if you must but I don't think it's required

Arthimura

I always go for release order.

I would say you are fine if you decide to skip Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. You can read the main plot online and most people started with Metal Gear Solid (myself included) back in the day. If you get really enthusiastic about the franchise you can go back and play these two games.

Last edited:

Arthimura

Release order.

IMO don't skip MGS4, it brings much needed closure after 2.

Personally, I felt Peace Walker to be a chore. Don't really think you would be missing much lore wise.
I aggre with not skipping MGS4, it's the conclusion of Solid Snake saga. But imo Peace Walker is pretty important.

For OP:
Basically, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a trilogy focused on Solid Snake.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is a (incomplete) trilogy about Big Boss.

Peace Walker is important because it's a sequel to MGS3, probably the most loved MGS game, and makes the player care about Big Boss, Kaz, Paz, Chico, Emmerich, the Mother base and it's troops, etc. You can read the plot online but would lose a lot of context and immersion for when you start MGSV.

Release order and skip MGSV if I was you. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially all the silence from snake. Why get kiefer sutherland and give him barely any lines? Yeah yeah it's on the tapes which bored me to death!

JaksGhost

When it would come time to play 4, I would definitely ask around to see if anyone you know would be willing to let you borrow a PS3 to play it. You'd be surprised who still has one in a garage or something. Alternatively, you could hope it comes to one of the PSPlus streaming tiers.
It’s been on PS Now for a few years alongside Revengeance and The Phantom Pain.

FrankWza

I always go for release order.

I would say you are fine if you decide to skip Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. You can read the main plot online and most people started with Metal Gear Solid (myself included) back in the day. If you get really enthusiastic about the franchise you can go back and play these two games.
And play MGRising

Last edited:
Why Ignore MGS1 AND 4?
MGS1 is amazing
MGS 1 is unplayable imo. Even a decade ago it was rough.
MGS 4 i like. But ultimately theres not much gameplay. Its mostly cutscenes. And though i enjoyed the gameplay at the time because the controls felt good, i dont feel like its so good that u have to play it. They are just bite-size chunks of gameplay

A.Romero

I aggre with not skipping MGS4, it's the conclusion of Solid Snake saga. But imo Peace Walker is pretty important.

For OP:
Basically, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a trilogy focused on Solid Snake.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is a (incomplete) trilogy about Big Boss.

Peace Walker is important because it's a sequel to MGS3, probably the most loved MGS game, and makes the player care about Big Boss, Kaz, Paz, Chico, Emmerich, the Mother base and it's troops, etc. You can read the plot online but would lose a lot of context and immersion for when you start MGSV.
That's a pretty good point.

DelireMan7

If you're new to the franchise, release order is the way to go.
Did it last year (but I already knew them) and it's truly an amazing experience.
MGS4 is flawed but still a must play for the full experience in my opinion.
Peace walker is an absolute must because it's really good and set the ground for MGSV.

Once you know the franchise you can play them in Chronological order.

Last edited:

TheTony316

Release order would be the best.

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
Peace Walker
Ground Zeroes
MGS5

If you want chronologically

MGS3
MGS Peace Walker
MGS Ground Zeroes
MGS5
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Things are always meant to be played, watched or read in their release date. Even if the story goes back and forth, the one released later will most certainly require some prior knowledge.

Kokoloko85

Solid snake is Metal gear 2: Solid Snake. OP already played MGS1

4 is just a large fanservice and not really necessary to follow other games, not exactly a highlight in the series either. Playing it or skipping it, either is fine.
I get what you mean.
But Id say its still worth playing the first 2 levels plus shadow moses and the ending. I really enjoyed it even though not as good as a 1,2,3,5. Playing as Snake again and not Raiden or Big Boss is always a bonus for me

Last edited:
MGS 1 is unplayable imo. Even a decade ago it was rough.

It's probably the simplest to get into, top down camera in most cases, simple controls, with the best cutscene/gameplay ratio. I never understood why anyone would have a hard time playing the original Metal Gear Solid. I did a marathon a few years ago of the entire series and MGS 1 was probably my favorite.

The graphics are rough, but i still like them better than whatever the fuck uncanney valley graphics is going on in Snake Eater. Snake Eater is a remake with liberties taken, it's best to play that after the original to have a proper frame of reference and to better appreciate both of them.

Top Bottom