• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good, Reasonably Priced Gaming Monitor?

Karmic Raze

Yeah, so I was thinking of getting an Xbox Series S along with a gaming monitor, but I don’t know much about them since I have mostly used TVs. What would you recommend I get? Would it even be worth it to get that combo or just get a Series X? I ask because I am stuck at my sister’s house a lot these days without much to do, and I figured I could bring the gaming monitor and Series S with me for a pretty portable gaming set up. She doesn’t have a very good TV, so the monitor would be better for it. I have a 4K Samsung at home, but I’m not home much either.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
27" non HDR WQHD with IPS panel.

There are a lot of models in the 200-300$ range for that category with very good picture quality for the price.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For series S?
Any 27", 60hz 1080p monitor will do...
I loved my hp 27ea. best 1080p monitor I had. Really good, glossy ips with minimal bleeding and ips glow.

I know people will swarm me "glossy sucks". No. You suck.
Glossy is easier to clean, makes contrast pop and perceived black level lower. Just don't play during the day with blinds open.

I would wish to recommend you any other monitor but I have no idea if there are any more glossy monitors

Arun1910

Honestly for that price range just get anything with a low response time.

If this is just some temporary back up for whilst you are at your sisters I wouldn't be investing loads of money into something you will only use for a bit.

Almost any 24-27 Full HD Monitor will do for Series S. Would go for VA or IPS. I got my HP 27x curved 144 Hz monitor for 150 bucks a few years ago.

Last edited:
personally i prefer playing consoles on TV. my Switch + PS4 are connected to my TV and my PC to my monitor.

the speakers on my monitor are awful and i don't have a cheap monitor. even on high end monitors the sound is gonna be shit. they don't tend to put high quality speakers in monitors because most people who buy them are PC owners and likely will have speakers plugged directly into their motherboard.

consoles due to their low frame rates of <60fps don't look/feel as good because monitors don't add enhancements to the image (motion blur/interpolation) so the stuttering is more noticeable. if you're playing on a monitor 60fps should be the lowest you ever go. my monitor is 165hz and that's why it feels better to play PC games on it.

for consoles just get a TV. if you really want a monitor then get any old one that has speakers on it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Honestly these guys are spot on, their testing methodology is second to none in the monitor space. They also don't take shit, companies keep trying to pressure them into giving good reviews and they don't back down, so you know where your at with these guys.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Yeah, so I was thinking of getting an Xbox Series S along with a gaming monitor, but I don’t know much about them since I have mostly used TVs. What would you recommend I get? Would it even be worth it to get that combo or just get a Series X? I ask because I am stuck at my sister’s house a lot these days without much to do, and I figured I could bring the gaming monitor and Series S with me for a pretty portable gaming set up. She doesn’t have a very good TV, so the monitor would be better for it. I have a 4K Samsung at home, but I’m not home much either.
I think the Samsung Odyssey G7 is a solid monitor series.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
For series S there's not much sense in going over 1080p or worrying about features like variable refresh rate. Just get something low-latency and beyond that I wouldn't worry too much (or spend too much). Maybe $200?

TrueLegend

Dont go for Hardware Unboxed video. You need a monitor with 60hz, because you need freesync/VRR at 40-60 range. This will be useful to handle 50~60 range dips. At 50~60 in VRR, you can't tell difference. 75 hz monitor start with 55-85 hz and 144 ones start at higher range. Get an old good 1080p monitor with 60hz and freesync. Hardware Unboxed recommendation is about it being PC monitor. So get a good 124% srgb P3 90%+ monitor at 24 inch-27 inch.

Get a 350 ccd for HDR and you will enjoy Series S
Edit: Ok there are some 144 hz monitor with VRR range from 48 hz like LG 24GN650-B at 200 usd. But it lacks HDR.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Gaming monitors are for high frame rates, high resolutions, or both. A series S won't help you with that. If you're gonna get a Series S, I'd go for a cheap 60fps 1080 monitor that is huge. Otherwise go for the X.

Tams

Gold Member
Almost any 24-27 Full HD Monitor will do for Series S. Would go for VA or IPS. I got my HP 27x curved 144 Hz monitor for 150 bucks a few years ago.
I second this. HP, Asus, and AOC are good in that price range.

I got a 24" AOC with a VA panel @ 1080p 144Hz (the colour accuracy is decent enough and contrast is good) for around $200 a few years ago. It's slightly curved which is neither here nor there.

Last edited:
Look for a product at 1440p, 120hz - 144hz, and sporting FreeSync. You can find a bevy of suitable options in the 24” to 32” range for less than $500.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I was just thinking since he's essentially lugging a console and monitor around isent that the exact reason they made this?

Like I guess the screen is a little small but it kind of fits the bill in this use case, means he's essentially just carrying the console.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
For Series S I have a 1080p 144hz 25inch monitor.

Displaying 1080p content on a 1440p screen doesn’t scale naturally and you get some image distortion.

I have the EX2510, the EX2510s is the new version - it’s the same spec but 165hz instead of 144hz.

I’ve had an AOC 24g2u as well, the EX is better imo. Best in class.

Also, it accepts a native 4k signal from a PS5 and downsamples the image.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Gaming monitors are for high frame rates, high resolutions, or both. A series S won't help you with that. If you're gonna get a Series S, I'd go for a cheap 60fps 1080 monitor that is huge. Otherwise go for the X.
There’s plenty of 120fps games on the Series S, like over a hundred.

intbal

OP, you didn't mention your budget requirements. What's your range?
Or space considerations. Do you only have a small cabinet to place a monitor in?

Top Bottom