• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Switch stand solution?

Mista Koo

Any good replacements for the Switch's kickstand? I just want to be able to comfortably use it in tabletop mode even if I'm not on a hard surface at the perfect angle.

I like this one but it's not very dock compatible and uses a sticker :x

Titania

I personally like the official Hori stand. It allows for charging while playing, and for a fairly wide range of positions.

forrest

formerly nacire
This is the one I use. Made of metal, is incredibly sturdy and folds up very compact. Solid product imo.

Nulaxy Dual Foldable Stand

51baqq8h6ml._sl1000_t4q3x.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Just remove the front part of the stock dock. Takes a phillips and a triwing nintendo screwdriver.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Do you own a WiiU? The gamepad stand it came with is perfect for the Switch.

If you have access to a 3D printer you can print this off in an hour or so. It was perfect for my recent 10 hour plane flight and I could keep it on charge.

forrest

formerly nacire
It doesn't have a vent hole so this is a horrible stand to use. Same with the Wii U and Kid Icarus stands.

It doesn't completely block the intake and you can put it in the stand so it's not flush against the back allowing full intake, but you're right in that it's not specifically designed with the Switch's vent position in mind.

Wouldn't go as far as to say it's horrible.

Fliesen

It doesn't have a vent hole so this is a horrible stand to use. Same with the Wii U and Kid Icarus stands.

It doesn't completely block the intake and you can put it in the stand so it's not flush against the back allowing full intake, but you're right in that it's not specifically designed with the Switch's vent position in mind.

Wouldn't go as far as to say it's horrible.

yeah, the vents are recessed. partial covering of the vent holes should have no significant impact on thermals. Especially when the Switch is being used its non-docked lower clockspeeds.

i 3D printed this one
799bad5a3b514f096e69bbc4a7896cd9_preview_featured.jpg

and it works pretty neatly, folds flat and can be stowed in pretty much any carrying case.
And puts the Switch at a way more comfortable angle than the kickstand.
Also allows for charging while playing.

156005c5baf40ff51a327f1c34f2975b_preview_featured.jpg

Mista Koo

yeah, the vents are recessed. partial covering of the vent holes should have no significant impact on thermals. Especially when the Switch is being used its non-docked lower clockspeeds.

i 3D printed this one
799bad5a3b514f096e69bbc4a7896cd9_preview_featured.jpg

and it works pretty neatly, folds flat and can be stowed in pretty much any carrying case.
And puts the Switch at a way more comfortable angle than the kickstand.
Also allows for charging while playing.

156005c5baf40ff51a327f1c34f2975b_preview_featured.jpg
Do you have a link for this?

Rahk

13ruce

Banned
Wii U stand no kidding. If you have it use it, came with deluxe version. Fits like a charm never used the kickstand since.

Fliesen

Do you have a link for this?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2169915

Initially, i was wondering if this design was just a rip-off of some Hori stand and i was effectively performing "accessory piracy", but i suppose it's just a generic foldable tablet stand adapted to fit the switch.

It has those 2 little bumps that match the underside of the switch as to not have it slide around too much.
Code:
[IMG]http://cdn.gamer-network.net/2017/usgamer/Switch-Preview-System-Shot-(8).jpg[/IMG]

it's well worth a print if you have access to a 3D printer, not worth ordering it from some 3D printing site, i think.

Pila

If you have access to a 3D printer you can print this off in an hour or so. It was perfect for my recent 10 hour plane flight and I could keep it on charge.

Man it was so fun when we had a 3D printer at my old job and I could print all the pretty things :( I should trick the boss into thinking we need one.

lucius

That's the only reason I was hesitant to buy it at first but it's only partially blocked, when the Switch is docked in TV mode the vents are more blocked than that stand. I never had the Switch get as warm on that stand as I have when it's docked and I play with it plugged in on it.

Did not realize you could play Strikers 1945 in portrait mode! That's amazing. Now I want to see Cave shmups on Switch for some really heavy TATE action

camelCase

Not for switch, but I used to carry around an egg of silly putty to use as an iPhone stand. I imagine one would need many eggs worth of putty to make a working stand for switch.

Top Bottom