• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Game Streaming Reveal Thread 'Stadia' (Launching in 2019)

Are you excited for Googles Entry in the Industry!?

• Total voters

Shin

Banned
Bank for devs if it all works out (which remains to be seen), endless opportunities and all that.
I think Google did a nice job bringing their services together in a console package.

Xenon

SEGA! Welcome to the next level. The rumors were true (she said taking gaming to the next level)

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Well.. its a streaming thing.

Personal thoughts:

+ I like the idea of one click gaming in the browser in a YT video. The concept is actually fairly brilliant and it does provide quick access to new experiences, anywhere. But its just that, a concept.

- The idea of one click gaming in the browser in a YT video. After all, you first need to pay for the game (or a subscription), so that's one additional screen you need to go through. Then you probably need to log in (Either through Steam or the external launchers, or Google Play) which by default will be another screen (Which i am sure you can automate). So no, it will never be ''instant gaming in less than 5 seconds'', unless you have already paid and played the game already. By which point i would ask myself: ''Why watch gameplay of this game when i have this game already on Stadia and i can play it instantly?'' The only edge case for that is for walkthrough purposes and what not. And though a lot of gameplay is like that on YT, that seems like a really odd edge case to rely on from Google's POV.

- You. Do. Not. Own. The. Game. As DeepEnigma DeepEnigma pointed out, you are simply buying a license to a game, and nothing more. Similar to Steam, really. But Steam is an established platform, Stadia is just that, a new platform. And if Google Play is anything to get by, Quality Assurance is not Google's top priority. Plus, its Google. They want all your data's.

- Third party dependence. Actually Google has a notch over Steam here considering Google in general is quite a bit larger than Steam, so the worry that Google will disappear one day is slimmer than say Valve. Nevertheless, being dependent on a third party for your license is never an ideal solution, just look at Bioshock for iOS on that.

- Latency. I know, Google loves to throw around that it can provide ultra low latency and a platform for everyone, but for whom? Only folks with top internet connections? In that sense the pre-hype footage was terrible as it showcased kids in less financially sound countries playing soccer on the street. Does Google geniunely think these homes that they want to connect to have the money to have the high speed internet needed to get this low latency they speak of? :goog_unsure::goog_unsure::goog_unsure:

Conclusion:
As much as i hoped it was a console, its a streaming thing. And with that, it inherits every flaw that is common place with streaming.

But. If there is one company on the face of this Earth that could pull off latency-free global AAA gaming through streaming, than it has to be Google. So i wouldn't instantly label this a DOA in my book. It can work from Google's POV.

And although i do think a lot of consumers will have zero problems being ever the more dependent on third parties (Where is Idiocracy really?) i also think a significant amount of people will dislike the streaming only option that Stadia provides, for the reasons outlined above.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sony and MS can't do something as versatile as this. Especially Sony.

I think Nintendo will fair better, because all of their power comes from within. But Sony and Microsoft have a huge threat to face, and they don't have the DNA and resources to tackle this 100%. Sony in particular, might be fucked.

A lot of these things can be imitated. People will also keep going back to their platform because of exclusive titles, something Google needs.

A feature that many people don't talk about is share play, which I believe is a rarely used feature. I was able to help someone beat The Last of Us through streaming and they were in Sydney and I'm from California. Noticeable lag, but it was still a great feature. This is a 2013 feature and who knows what they will do next generation.

Solarstrike

What's questionable with this system is, not many people have the quality of internet speed which this system needs. Nor, is there an fiber optic infrastructure available to handle it. Not many people have fiber optic lines run into their household nor have an option to even request a fiber optic carrier per internet. I guess the Google CEO never strayed further than fiber optic-rich towns.

In thinking of this all, this is where the gaming industry made it's mistake. They allowed Google to enter the field, and now the future of gaming will be subscription based, controlled and operated by Uncle Google. By not investing in it's OWN network for gaming, the gaming industry shot itself in the foot. The lines per the internet gaming infrastructure could have been in place if companies came together years ago, pooled their money and built a system for the future. They didn't. Instead, focusing on their pocketbooks and share holders dreams of fortune. When all is said and done, game streaming and the entire entertainment industry is streaming digital hell. A future for the elite and wealthy where a company can turn on and off YOUR entertainment at the flick of a switch.

Now that i think about it, Fuck Google. Deep in their EULA of the Stadia, you can guarantee they'll be reporting everyone's gaming time right to employers, health insurance companies, social security benefit centers, etc, etc. That's what Google does. It's collects your information, puts it in a file for the highest advertisement bidder. Hey, you wanna play a game on Youtube? That'll be $9.99 a month. $4.99 if you want to remove integrated ads. It's sickening to hear the speakers say there's "barriers" in gaming. There's no barriers other than the ones you created, Google. The barriers you created when you don't remove the racist hate speech that festers Youtube. You ignore people whom have little significance in your eyes and propel only those who obide by your plans.

It's truly sickening what Google wants to do with the gaming industry. Collect physical games now folks, because the future will be full of streamed manure. Collect comics, cards, toys, physical movies and books. Never let anyone take them away, otherwise it's Fahrenheit 451.

Last edited:
The vision is gaming evolved in itself, 5 seconds to play without any download.
The ability to click on a YouTube video and play said game, truly brilliant stuff on paper and most interesting thing that has happen in the last couple of decade with gaming IMO.

Got Input Lag?

DanielsM

Banned
No pricing, no explaining packages, do you have to buy games... is it rental? (I didn't hear anything as how this will actually work) Is there a dashboard?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
WHy are people looking for a price? theres nothing to buy but the software. Itll be up to the publishers.

Calibos

The only thing I see MS should be scared of right now is that Google got out first into the public. The actual tech will be great, but nothing that MS doesn't already have in place: Gigantic cloud infrastructure, Xbox Live Backbone and all kinds of owned middleware like Simplygon and Havock, Gamepass and tons of development houses and relationships. etc...

Sony just needs more infrastructure and they will easily compete in this gaming space as well. PS Now is already dominationg the charts so...

Google will own news cycles though, because they are Google and they are out first.

It reminds me of what OnLive tried to accomplish 10 years ago but wasn't big enough or had the technology to do so.. They also are borrowing from Gaikai (prior to Sony acquisition). Gaikai allowed you to stream cloud gaming demos by kicking on ads and would load within a minute.

Last edited:

nkarafo

In my country 50-100Mbps download speed is the highest you can get for your home.

So i guess it won't work here.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not a single mention about requirements from the consumer is concerining . Its basically THE question they needed to answer and didnt.

DanielsM

Banned
WHy are people looking for a price? theres nothing to buy but the software. Itll be up to the publishers.

That's DOA, if its just a VD, you're probably talking $10-30 a month, to install your games in a custom package on a VD, not no but hell no.

Haha.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
No pricing, no explaining packages, do you have to buy games... is it rental? (I didn't hear anything as how this will actually work) Is there a dashboard?
Also wondering about this. They didn't say anything about fees or how games are sold.

It doesn't feel concrete without this information.

Trogdor1123

I get it is GDC but if you want to constantly talk about connecting gamers... Tell the gamers the price maybe?

Also, I'm pretty skeptical. The video stream had several errors in just an hour long stream. A video stream is far less demanding too... Like I said, I'm skeptical.

Some neat features though for sure.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

Google themselves will have to monetize it somehow consider they are offering up the computing resources. Either through subscription or ads.

How long before we hear Phil Spencer saying ‘streaming is a gimmick, what we need are boxes and discs!’

MS are doomed...Google just ate the only lunch they had left.

Flintty

Looks interesting. No box needed so the entry fee will be manageable but it will be all about the games for me.

That controller is trash though :messenger_confounded:

Bl@de

Price? How much is a Chromecast Pro? 30-50€? I think the app itself will be free on phones, PCs, etc.. The controller maybe 50€. Games as usual or maybe some form of subscription as an option.

leo-j

The good thing is, this is going to force Sony to upgrade PS NOW. Maybe they can upgrade their stream to 1080p outside of the ps3 games that can’t be streamed on a diff platform cuz it runs on the cell.

If they upgrade PS NOW they can compete.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Google themselves will have to monetize it somehow consider they are offering up the computing resources. Either through subscription or ads.

Im sure they will take a cut from the store but they already said that that their ads will be able to go from ad to playing in 5 seconds. So they will increase their ads presesnce.

DanielsM

Banned
I get it is GDC but if you want to constantly talk about connecting gamers... Tell the gamers the price maybe?

Also, I'm pretty skeptical. The video stream had several errors in just an hour long stream. A video stream is far less demanding too... Like I said, I'm skeptical.

Some neat features though for sure.

Heck, they really didn't show how it actually works, do you rent games, do you pay a rental for the box or subscription, is it an hourly rate. If you buy games, can you install them later on a PC?

The good thing is, this is going to force Sony to upgrade PS NOW. Maybe they can upgrade their stream to 1080p outside of the ps3 games that can’t be streamed on a diff platform cuz it runs on the cell.

If they upgrade PS NOW they can compete.

The PS3 games are not running from a Virtual Machine(VM) as far as I know, just like Microsoft will be running Xbox One's in xCloud. Those games are basically what they are, unless someone does software emulation and sometimes you can clean them up.

Last edited:

CuNi

Gold Member
All the talk and no actual info on the service. Welcome to modern tech pr. Everyone wants it even though you don't even know how the service actually works lol.

Google has to make money somehow; no one will buy their controller. I understand this could squeeze aditional revenue from youtube but surely thats not enough. Id have to assume theres a monthly service charge. You dont buy a Netflix box, you pay for the service. Id have to expect atleast $9.99 a month which is more than a console over its life

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Google has to make money somehow; no one will buy their controller. I understand this could squeeze aditional revenue from youtube but surely thats not enough. Id have to assume theres a monthly service charge. You dont buy a Netflix box, you pay for the service. Id have to expect atleast $9.99 a month which is more than a console over its life

If they were going to do a gamepass/netflix model im sure they would of talked about it here? Maybe not.

I expect a cut from the store and they talked about being able to basically make interactive ads. THey will make a killing from the ad possbilities here. I would bet thats the entire idea here.

Well, i dont think anyone is ready or capable to take on google. That infrastructure is key here. I dunno what MSs plan is with xcloud, but its gonna be hard to compete with this. Streaming 4k60 (up to 8k eventually), with the possibility of using as many gpus as you want, each at 10.6TF.......

Having your shit available on everything, in high quality, all the time....

This is god damned impressive.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Im sure they will take a cut from the store but they already said that that their ads will be able to go from ad to playing in 5 seconds. So they will increase their ads presesnce.

Yeah that's true. It's possible that ad money + game sales cut would be enough....and if it is it would disrupt the whole industry.

Top Bottom