• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2016 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

celebi23

hash.png

May 18th to 20th ·Shoreline Amphitheater

Android App · Official Site · YouTube

AOffS00.png

Begins: Wednesday, May 18th 10:00 a.m. PDT (see what time this is in your timezone)

t1463590800z4.png

Google's Live Video

Liveblogs
Arstechnica
AndroidCentral
Twit.tv (stream)

zNzHhD9.png

GBniZ.png

zWuft.png

Didn't see an official topic yet so, I put together one kinda quick. Hope that's ok. Will keep on updating throughout the day.

Chris R

New Nexus phones would be at a later date and time right? Trying to make my Nexus 5 last until the new ones are out :(

For Google's Amazon Echo competitor, I'd love it if it has built in voice control for entertainment systems like the Xbox One has with Kinect.

If it doesn't have that, I'd at least like it to sync with Logitech's Harmony hub so you can use that to control stuff with your voice. Echo can kinda do that with IFTTT, but it's slow and you can't do a lot of stuff (only starting and ending activities for the most part).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
New Nexus phones would be at a later date and time right? Trying to make my Nexus 5 last until the new ones are out :(

Yeah, that's in the fall. The 6P/5X were unveiled in September last year, and then available in October-November.

Android and iOS has become boring.

I'm hoping they bring something from Google X. Show me some future shit.

N seems to have a lot of pretty cool stuff. No major design overhaul though, if that's what you want. They don't need that, Material Design is awesome when done right.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
hyped. i hope google comes out with an echo killer so i can have my google music compatibility.

I'll gladly sell my echo if they do.

Rafy

Anyone else going to an I/O Extended event? Later today I'll be going to one for the first time and it's organized by the local Google Dev Group. Don't really know what to expect but I hope it's fun.

Do you think they are going to show new phones? There have been rumors going around of a new Nexus 7 and two new devices from HTC.

Polari

It's going to be interesting to see what they front up. From the sound of Android VR and Google Home, they're in the unenviable position of being followers rather than first-movers. This works for them when they follow with something that takes an established model and disrupts it (Android being open source, Gmail's 1GB storage are examples of those disruptions). When they try and do a "me too" product though (Google+, Hangouts) it tends to be a failure.

Google X stuff almost definitely won't be there, seeing it's a separate company now.

Xiaomi make great hardware. I've been using RedMi Note 2 for a while now and it is pretty amazing phone for the spec: 5.5" 1080p, 2GHz Helio X10 8 core CPU, PowerVR G6200, 16GB, 2GB RAM with half decent camera for £120 new.

I'd be interested in an Android TV device by Xiaomi. I'm using a cheap as chips Amlogic S905 box which runs great but I wouldn't mind a proper Android TV box.

Polari

Xiaomi make great hardware. I've been using RedMi Note 2 for a while now and it is pretty amazing phone for the spec: 5.5" 1080p, 2GHz Helio X10 8 core CPU, PowerVR G6200, 16GB, 2GB RAM with half decent camera for £120 new.

I'd be interested in an Android TV device by Xiaomi. I'm using a cheap as chips Amlogic S905 box which runs great but I wouldn't mind a proper Android TV box.

Yeah Xiaomi are great. I've got their earphones, Miband, and a Bluetooth speaker, and all are amazing for the price.

Asgaro

If I don't hear an acknowledgment about Sony's achievement for bringing the N Preview to the Xperia Z3 I will be highly disappointed.

Bit-Bit

I'm most excited about the possibilities for Android VR and phones with Tango hardware.

And Chrome OS getting the Play Store would mean that I'll be gifting everyone a Chrome Book for Christmas this year.

Steve La Flaga

Neo Member
If I don't hear an acknowledgment about Sony's achievement for bringing the N Preview to the Xperia Z3 I will be highly disappointed.

Just got this flashed on my Z3 last night and it feels really good for an early build, which is commendable by Sony, despite preview 2 being relegated to alpha status.

So odd having it on a newer android version than my Nexus is though.

Rafy

I'm most excited about the possibilities for Android VR and phones with Tango hardware.

And Chrome OS getting the Play Store would mean that I'll be gifting everyone a Chrome Book for Christmas this year.

I'd buy a cheap one just for Hearthstone, Gdocs and the Opinion Rewards app.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I really enjoy what Google does. I'm so entrenched in Apple's ecosystem that I doubt anything will get me to change, but I love using Google Photos & Gmail. And I have been thinking about getting an Echo so I'm interested in 'Chirp'.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Anyone else going to an I/O Extended event? Later today I'll be going to one for the first time and it's organized by the local Google Dev Group. Don't really know what to expect but I hope it's fun.

Do you think they are going to show new phones? There have been rumors going around of a new Nexus 7 and two new devices from HTC.

Definitely no phones until fall. Perhaps a tablet?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm kinda on the fence on the Play Store thing.

It's nice as an option, but part of the reason Chrome OS is appealing is the minimalist nature. The OS is light weight, you don't install a bunch of shit, less chance for viruses or random battery drain, easier to keep updated ect...

btrboyev

I'm kinda on the fence on the Play Store thing.

It's nice as an option, but part of the reason Chrome OS is appealing is the minimalist nature. The OS is light weight, you don't install a bunch of shit, less chance for viruses or random battery drain, easier to keep updated ect...

Android apps are already available on Chrome and have been for a year. This is just an expansion of that. I believe the apps themselves run virtually.

HvySky

I'll be jumping back into the Android smartphone ecosystem later this year, and have been looking into Chromebooks as well, so I'm stoked to see what they plan on showing off. Seems like perfect timing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android apps are already available on Chrome and have been for a year. This is just an expansion of that. I believe the apps themselves run virtually.

Well yeah they had to start somewhere.

It's still just the dev tool app runtime.

This in theory would be the next step. Still not sure if I want this or not.

clav

With a ton of 1-3 star reviews.

They never really worked on them.

App selection was same as it launched after one year.

panzone

Uh, I've forgotten this is today.

I'll try to follow it, but last year was really boring and I quitted during the first hour.

HvySky

Echo users: I used "Okay, Google" all the time when I had my old phone. If Google's version is comparable to Amazon's, is it worth it, or can I get the same amount of use out of just my phone?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Echo users: I used "Okay, Google" all the time when I had my old phone. If Google's version is comparable to Amazon's, is it worth it, or can I get the same amount of use out of just my phone?

It depends on the amount of smart home integration of the device, and whether it has a decent speaker/microphone setup that would be far better than using a phone for the same task. That and if it can use a different codeword that would allow every member of a house to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom