• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Insider turns over 950 pages of docs and laptop to DOJ

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013

A former Google insider claiming the company created algorithms to hide its political bias within artificial intelligence platforms – in effect targeting particular words, phrases and contexts to promote, alter, reference or manipulate perceptions of Internet content – delivered roughly 950 pages of documents to the Department of Justice’s Antitrust division Friday.

The former Google insider, who has already spoken in to the nonprofit organization Project Veritas, met with SaraACarter.com on several occasions last week. He was interviewed in silhouette, to conceal his identity, in group’s latest film, which they say exposes bias inside the social media platform.

Several weeks prior, the insider mailed a laptop to the DOJ containing the same information delivered on Friday, they said. The former insider is choosing to remain anonymous until Project Verita’s James O’Keefe reveals his identity tomorrow (Wednesday).

He told this reporter on his recent trip to Washington D.C. that the documents he turned over to the Justice Department will provide proof that Google has been manipulating the algorithms and the evidence of how it was done, the insider said.
The insider says Google is aware most people are unaware or not knowledgeable about these advanced IT systems and therefore unable to determine who is telling the truth.

“I honestly think that a free market can fix this issue,” he told this reporter at a meeting in Washington D.C. “The issue is that the free market has been distorted and what’s happened is that the distortion is so grotesque and the engineering is so repulsive, all we need to do is just expose what’s going on. People can hear that it is bad but that can be bias. But when they see what Google has actually written with the documents, this will actually be taught in universities of what totalitarian states can do with this type of capability.”

“It will be so revolting that it doesn’t matter what the solution is, a solution will just form as a reaction to this manipulation they have done,” the Google insider said.

He said he’s asked himself many times if he’s overreacting “and every time I simply look back at the documents and realize that I am not.”
“It’s that bad,” he said. “Disclosing Google’s own words to the American public is something I am, must do, if I am to consider myself a good person. The world that google is building is not a place I, or you or our children want to live in.”

Kenpachii

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2018
More like straight ban google from europe and all there products / company's.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Woul Trump allow any severe penalty on a fang company in the first place right now. He can't risk the economy slowing down

Horns

Jun 23, 2010
Project Veritas and James O'Keefe keep getting exposed as frauds. Yet...

Conservatives: CNN, NBC, New York Times, and the Washington Post are fake news.

Also conservatives: I believe a source that has been comically busted on multiple occasions completely fabricating stories.

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018

Also conservatives: I believe a source that has been comically busted on multiple occasions completely fabricating stories.
I would believe anyone else more than you @Horns , you are as about as woke as they come so you will forgive me when i say that i am laughing at your very biased reply and replies in general. I will wait for the evidence first unlike you.

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018

Veritas are the ones that blew the whistle on this multiple times among many other more mainstream sources as well.
I guess the one with the google worker plainly stating they see it as their duty to prevent trump and "future trumps" and they need to stay big for that reason was the final straw for most people.
Vertias has pushed some crap without evidence in the past but thats not the case in this since there is hidden cam footage, but the real fun thought is that cnn,nbc,nyt and wapo get let off the hook by you after they spread a 3 year long global muh russia fakenews conspiracy something that did more damage than for example the entire lifetime of breitbart (and worse) combined.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrödinger's cat

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018

Please post evidence of Veritas/O'Keefe being "exposed as frauds" or "comically busted on multiple occasions completely fabricating stories".

As far as I know the only charge of any kind that has stuck was for filming in a federal office. If you have anything else, please share.

Demacabre

Mar 23, 2015
www.egregoredesign.com
Don't care which party is doing this. This is good considering how they are trying to rig the democrat primary. Fuck them.

And as a long time progressive, fucking shocks me when anyone defends big business controlling discussion and employing censorship. The fuck has happened? Like I am shocked by the amount of people who stan for the interests of big corporation. Winds change, and so does the viewpoint of corporations. They were never on anyone's side but their own.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

I want you to read this, and actually let it sink in;

Not a conservative. I'm middle of the road, like the majority of Americans. I hold values from both sides of the fence.

Its painfully obvious to anyone who has even a smidgen of rational thought, that All media is biased to an extent, some much, much more then others.

It's not us, the majority that is creating this problem. It's people like you who cant see past your own ideology.

Now, put up or shut up. Provide links, and evidence of;

"a source that has been comically busted on multiple occasions completely fabricating stories."

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018

you are the only fraud in this scenario

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
you are the only fraud in this scenario
Hey, let's give him a chance. He made a statement of fact, and now has the opportunity to make me, and others look like morons by providing proof of;

"Has (project veritas)been comically busted on multiple occasions completely fabricating stories"

I'm ready. Let's get into it. I mean we could give him multiple, multiple, multiple instances of the networks/outlets he listed providing fake news. I mean that's easy.

Let's see what he's got.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

Playing defence force for Google. Can’t get much lower or more unintelligent than that.

Some people have their heads so far up their own arses, it makes me seriously worry about humanity.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Playing defence force for Google. Can’t get much lower or more unintelligent than that.

Some people have their heads so far up their own arses, it makes me seriously worry about humanity.
Trump should use some reverse psychology and go out and tweet something along the lines that Google are the best. They would never abuse their powers and he will do everything in his power to make sure that there will never be any regulation on what they do.

Then watch the fireworks. Perhaps Pelosi will petition congress to approve nuclear strikes against south bay unless they immediately get super strong regulation? /s

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Trump should use some reverse psychology and go out and tweet something along the lines that Google are the best. They would never abuse their powers and he will do everything in his power to make sure that there will never be any regulation on what they do.

Then watch the fireworks. Perhaps Pelosi will petition congress to approve nuclear strikes against south bay unless they immediately get super strong regulation? /s
Oh man, this would be hysterical and it would work. The dumb arse NPCs would fall over themselves to destroy Google in that scenario.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

• LOL
Reactions: danielberg

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
I want you to read this, and actually let it sink in;

Not a conservative. I'm middle of the road, like the majority of Americans. I hold values from both sides of the fence.

Its painfully obvious to anyone who has even a smidgen of rational thought, that All media is biased to an extent, some much, much more then others.

It's not us, the majority that is creating this problem. It's people like you who cant see past your own ideology.

Now, put up or shut up. Provide links, and evidence of;

"a source that has been comically busted on multiple occasions completely fabricating stories."
Considering his last activity was 28 minutes ago, no doubt homs is taking the loss and the title of fraud

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Considering his last activity was 28 minutes ago, no doubt homs is taking the loss and the title of fraud
What I'm hoping is that he challenges himself, goes and digs up what that outlet does, and gets the story for himself, instead of from a talking head, or someone paid to tell him 1+1=3.

What I'm hoping is that he starts to understand that getting your information from only certain sources, never questioning them, or never actually checking out a story for yourself is a bad thing, and can lead to faulty beliefs.

It's okay to admit your wrong. It's okay to change your opinion when new information comes to light. It's okay to think for yourself, and not allow friends, family, coworkers, or media outlets to tell you "how things are" because guess what?

Maybe they are just parroting what they have heard as well, instead of actually looking into it. Groupthink is dangerous, And is a cult. When you dont question anything that agrees with how you currently think, because it appeals to you, even if your unsure, that makes you ignorant, and an ideologue.

I'm proud to be an American, but you better believe I'm going to dig into the story of drone strikes, becuase as much as I like the idea of a missile hitting a cowardly terrorist who has killed innocents, directly on top of his head turning him to ash, how many civilians were killed in the process? It's not okay to kill 50 innocents, for one baddie, and I absolutely would not support that.

My point is, if your going to label an organization as "completely fabricating stories", the least you could do is make sure that what your saying is at least somewhat accurate because they have done tremendous work in exposing those who would seek the cover of shadows.

Does this hold no value, or comical in any way?

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
Based on this, google is shooting itself repeatability in the foot (even vs competition) and is basically a "victim" of its own workforces tribal reaction to trumps election win lol

Last edited:

HarryKS

Jan 24, 2010
Based on this, google is shooting itself repeatability in the foot (even vs competition) and is basically a "victim" of its own workforces tribal reaction to trumps election win lol

That's pretty cool actually. It's far more democratic than one would expect.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
This is a nightmare to solve.

Any results Google shows at the top affect the public consciousness. If we did something like have google reveal it's algorithms so independent verification could happen, we would essentially be telling them their trade secrets are public domain, which has significant legal ramifications.

Any algorithm can also be abused... like when people used to put the same link over and over to increase it's weight on google.

And there aren't just two opinions on any subject, so what do we consider a proper unbiased result for complex, controversial issues?

I'm not defending google here. I think they've proven themselves dangerous to the future of a free people. But man, i have no idea how to deal with this one. Do we really want a govt organization vetting what 'proper' search results should look like? On the other hand, we clearly don't want a private organization in control, especially one with strong ties to foreign nations.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Has there been any mainstream coverage of this? I haven't had a chance to look at the materials, but we really need a more neutral third party to do a little investigation of who this engineer is, how major his actual role was (I do machine learning myself; curious where in their hierarchy he was and what level of expertise), etc. Not that I doubt Google's evil, but I'd like to see reporting outside of just a couple of outlets.

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
This is a nightmare to solve.

Any results Google shows at the top affect the public consciousness. If we did something like have google reveal it's algorithms so independent verification could happen, we would essentially be telling them their trade secrets are public domain, which has significant legal ramifications.

Any algorithm can also be abused... like when people used to put the same link over and over to increase it's weight on google.

And there aren't just two opinions on any subject, so what do we consider a proper unbiased result for complex, controversial issues?

I'm not defending google here. I think they've proven themselves dangerous to the future of a free people. But man, i have no idea how to deal with this one. Do we really want a govt organization vetting what 'proper' search results should look like? On the other hand, we clearly don't want a private organization in control, especially one with strong ties to foreign nations.
It is hard, but a good first step would be to correct the lies Google management says about censorship and skewing results away from certain viewpoints

We don't have to police what Google does, but we surely can stop them from lying to us and Congress about it.

Horsemama1956

Jan 28, 2010
More like straight ban google from europe and all there products / company's.
I dont like these companies but they're probably the only ones that can step up to big oil and gas and shit like the NRA.

Another generation or 2 and these companies could own the votes.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
I dont like these companies but they're probably the only ones that can step up to big oil and gas and shit like the NRA.

Another generation or 2 and these companies could own the votes.
I'm unclear as to what you're trying to say. Is it:

1. Oil, Gas, and NRA currently own votes, and tech companies could own those same votes in the future?

or

2. Oil, Gas, NRA, and Tech are all currently vying for the same voters?

Neither one of those scenarios seem all that likely to me.

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
The first step should be the nationalising of Google. By that I mean each country where google operates has its own set of rules and restrictions, unique to that country.

That stops google from becoming a powerhouse, allows governments to keep google in check, without becoming google police and allows google to modify algorithms to suit each country's needs better.

I suppose in the US you could have a google in each state.

A company united must divide. A company divided, must unite.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
This is totally anecdotal and could simply be a coincidence, but I found it very interesting nonetheless.

Now, anyone without their head firmly stuck in the sand will have noticed that Google search results have been heavily filtered for years now. Filtered in order to obfuscate people discovering websites or individuals Google finds “problematic”.

So, a few days after this guy dumps proof of this in the public domain, I went to make a Google search similar to what I have done many times before, but the search results instantly stood out to me as strange.

I saw many websites and forums I had either never seen before or was aware were on the Google ‘persona non grata’ list show up in the first page of Google search results. Weird.

Coincidence or could this be Google attempting a nothingtoseehere.gif?

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
This is totally anecdotal and could simply be a coincidence, but I found it very interesting nonetheless.

Now, anyone without their head firmly stuck in the sand will have noticed that Google search results have been heavily filtered for years now. Filtered in order to obfuscate people discovering websites or individuals Google finds “problematic”.

So, a few days after this guy dumps proof of this in the public domain, I went to make a Google search similar to what I have done many times before, but the search results instantly stood out to me as strange.

I saw many websites and forums I had either never seen before or was aware were on the Google ‘persona non grata’ list show up in the first page of Google search results. Weird.

Coincidence or could this be Google attempting a nothingtoseehere.gif?
Yeah feels that way but who knows google still linked to leftwing news sources over 70% on its first search page after the two mass shootings so if they changed something its only by hand surface level directly related to the leaks not a real overall change.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Scopa

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018

wheres the beef, chuckles?