• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google is rumored to be developing a console called "Yeti"

Tarin02543

Hello,

I've posted this in the thread about the next gen Sony and Microsoft consoles and I was persuaded to post a new thread about this.

Apparantly Google is working on their own console with the projectname "Yeti". It's going to be based on a streaming service like Geforce and Playstation Now.

Here is the link:

https://www.theinformation.com/arti...ing-with-yeti-streaming-service?shared=9d80e7

My opinion is that it will not pose any threat to Sony or Microsoft as streaming services are nothing new (Onlive) and that broadband is still not common enough.

I'm interested in their console design and especially their controller, perhaps Google with their unlimited cash can cook up something special.

llien

"All your game, are belong to us" - no, thanks, but cheers for trying.

Ignoring the inherent lag problem, which is a show stopper on its own.

PS
Perhaps it's not only streaming:

As for a full-blown game console, the details are hazy, but Ars Technica points out that Google recently hired former Xbox and Playstation executive Phil Harrison.

Last edited:

Shifty

If anyone can pull off a streaming-only system, it's probably Google.

Though that doesn't change the fact that 99% of the world doesn't have the crazy fiber internet required to make it work good.

KevinKeene

Banned
I think I wouldn't support a google console out of principle. Mega companies like google, amszon, disney or apple are already too powerful, no need to help them penetrate other markets.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The end of an era soon skynet will launch.
And we will all be playing watching working reading breathing google

Last edited:

Aklamarth

Didn't Amazon was supposed to launch a console a while ago that could compete with the big 3 ? The bar of entry is pretty high , i highly double Google can compete.

DavidGzz

Well, if it's actually a traditional console and it's powerful, my money is ready. Can't help myself. If it's streaming, no thanks. Onlive was neat(watching others play on the fly) but sucked because of lag.

JimboJones

This feels like when people thought the Apple TV would be a console competitor when they put motion sensing into the remote.
Google and Apple just don't get gaming at all.

It will not really impact console gaming unless they can get the big publishers onboard and I don't believe Google is going to fund big projects of their own.

It's a bit unfair to make a decision before the device is even announced. I'm excited to see what's in store. Competition is always good.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Phil Harrison has jumped ship one too many times. He doesn't seem to have any loyalty besides his paycheck. Lol

I have nothing against the guy, but dang.

Last edited:
Didn't Amazon was supposed to launch a console a while ago that could compete with the big 3 ? The bar of entry is pretty high , i highly double Google can compete.

I think after the Fire Phone tanked hard they did a quick pivot on their hardware and gaming plans. I recall reading an article to that effect. Seems like it's all about smart home integration with Echo devices and the lot now.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
My in-depth thoughts on the subject:
tumblr_nakz67txcq1qdr3s3o1_500.gif

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It's still not ideal but I think game streaming tech has become a lot better since the Onlive days. My guess is Goolge has ability to pull this off from technical standpoint but will mess up from a business standpoint.

MultiCore

Game streaming didn't even work well enough within people's homes, which is why the Steam Link was like $1.

It will be quite some time before internet game streaming can supplant local rendering.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
As always, I go back to the famous Hiroshi Yamauchi quote about videogames; "The videogame console is nothing more than a box you buy to play Mario." The hardware itself is meaningless to the general public. The only thing that matters is software. If your new system can provide hit videogames, then you'll succeed. If you cannot provide those hits, you'll fail. It's as simple as that.

I fully expect Google to get into the market, as they already have a presence with Android. Any dedicated console would probably be built around that model. That presents its share of challenges, as we've previously seen with Ouya, but that system failed for reasons that Google could overcome, such as the overly complicated Sony/Microsoft controller and difference between "console" and "portable" games.

For a number of years, I've been a big proponent of a "Netflix" model for videogames, where you pay a flat monthly fee to have access to a vast digital library. The best candidates for this would be Sega and Atari, which could offer all of their classic systems in one attractive package (I would also embrace the indie/homebrew scene). If I had the venture capital money to invest, that's where I would push. I don't think you'd have a massive success, certainly not at the level of Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft, but you could definitely sell a couple million units and make a nice profit.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If anybody can do game streaming good, its google.
However if they do make somthing that can rival local gaming Im sure Microsofts and sonys spys will get there secrets.

I like the idea of game streaming. I loved and used OnLive for games like Dark Siders. I would want a streaming console that does it right - a bigger more current library perhaps.

shpankey

not an idiot
I like the idea of a big player getting into the game, as it were... but any kind of "streaming" aspect will be a dead-end for me. Thanks but no thanks to that stuff.

I do think streaming can work, at least in theory, but I have more concern about Google being able to attract publishing partners that give them an advantage over existing options.

wipeout364

Google has no loyalty to anyone but their add revenue and selling data about you. They like to jump into shit just to be disruptive then they either bail out ASAP or lose interest and just chug along with minimal effort all the while thinking how can they get more data on you to sell. I wouldn’t buy their console on principal.

Mahadev

No thanks, I value my privacy and I can't trust Google to search on PC, imagine the privacy violations on a closed platform. Plus, what do we even need the console if it's a streaming service? Thanks but no thanks, I want to own my games and be able to play them without internet.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Phil Harrison has jumped ship one too many times. He doesn't seem to have any loyalty besides his paycheck. Lol

I have nothing against the guy, but dang.

No, special Agent Phil still works for sony, he's just deep undercover.

Aranea

My internet is already terrible so this would be a no purchase form me if this turns out to be a streaming console.

WilGrieve

Game streaming is dead in the water. It just doesn't work well enough to succeed. Even with Google Fiber, I have suspicions this won't go well.

Quixz

They have the money to bring a proper machine to market. I personally don't want a streaming box :confused:

While it would be interesting to have a new major console outside of the Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft bracket it's been for years and years to shake things up, I can't afford another console and I don't like this idea of a streaming one anyway, so I also hope they leave well enough alone.

Agent X

If it's going to be Android-based games only, they'll be calling it 'Deadi".
I get vibes of Ouya, but where the phone games are streamed instead of downloaded.

I highly doubt Google is aiming to stream Android games or mobile phone games. They'd likely have some strong hardware on the back end of the network, with enough muscle to deliver the same types of cutting-edge games you'd see on powerful PCs and game consoles.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I highly doubt Google is aiming to stream Android games or mobile phone games. They'd likely have some strong hardware on the back end of the network, with enough muscle to deliver the same types of cutting-edge games you'd see on powerful PCs and game consoles.
They can have the most powerful hardware in the world on the backend, but bandwidth and latency will still be working against them if it's streaming.

Top Bottom