• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google offers two month free trial of Stadia Pro starting today

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

The initial buy-in to try Stadia is no longer required today. All that’s needed to sign-up is a Gmail account and downloading the mobile Android or iOS companion app. Over the next 48 hours, free Google Stadia access will be rolling out to the existing set of 14 countries: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland

The monthly $9.99 Pro subscription offers 4K resolution and discounts when buying titles, expansions, and add-ons outright. However, free games that you can claim every month are the real attraction. There are currently nine titles, with access requiring that you keep subscribing: Destiny 2: The Collection, Grid, Gylt, SteamWorld Dig 2, SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech, Thumper, Serious Sam Collection, Spitlings, and Stacks On Stacks (On Stacks)

SCB3

That was quite the stealth release, also is this the right time to launch? I mean Netflix and Youtube are restricting streams to 1080p so launching/allowing more users on a new streaming service is a bit odd

STARSBarry

Gold Member
oh man this sounds like an amazing deal, sucks for everyone else who paid a ton of money for some low quality plastic tat they where told was required to do just this, bet they dont feel stupid at all.

Il have to pass though considering the entire service is joke, it's just more accessible now, how it should of launched to start with.

GymWolf

oh man this sounds like an amazing deal, sucks for everyone else who paid a ton of money for some low quality plastic tat they where told was required to do just this, bet they dont feel stupid at all.

Il have to pass though considering the entire service is joke, it's just more accessible now, how it should of launched to start with.
giphy.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got three free months last week (for being a Youtube Premium subscriber) so I took them up on the offer. There were like 9 free games so it seemed like a good way to try it out for a while. One of them was Gylt which is exclusive and looked interesting.

Turns out, it runs like shit as everyone has been saying since launch. Stadia can't figure out how to run on my 21:9 display at all. Input times are pretty terrible (even for a stealth game like Gylt that's a problem). Playing the game looks like I'm viewing it through a glass jar or like I have vasoline smeared all over my screen.

I would not pay money for this, but I guess I have a few months to try and power through Gylt.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

The service kinda sucks on a browser though, almost everyone who likes it has the Cromecast ultra.

The compression they use is different, and makes everything on the browser version look like shit last time I tried it (granted, they've been working on getting 4k in browser so I'd assume better compression at that point.)

Vawn

Banned
Thread title should be updated. Google isn't releasing the free Stadia - they are just giving a free trial of the paid version for the next two months.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am not so sure if I ever witnessed such a "launch" from billion dollar company which went absolutely nowhere. Sure MS have some of these product under their belt, but, this seems to be on a completely different level, because it was hardly mention on forums about gaming.

Ceadeus

I just tried Destiny 2 on it and while making an account and playing is extremely quick and easy, the servers does not seem to be able to hold 1080p. The lag is intense too. I have 100mbit/s which is more than sufficient for even 4K streaming.

Ah well too bad!

JimboJones

I got 3 months for being a YouTube premium member, gave it a go.
Works pretty well, got into a game of serious sam with 6 others pretty quick, I'd love somthing like this as an option but not as a primary method of gaming, like you could play the cloud version as it downloaded locally or just if you don't feel like waiting for it to download at a friend's house or something, or even just for demos.

Last edited:

Mokus

I just tried Destiny 2 on it and while making an account and playing is extremely quick and easy, the servers does not seem to be able to hold 1080p. The lag is intense too. I have 100mbit/s which is more than sufficient for even 4K streaming.

Ah well too bad!
No surprise there because now everyone uses the internet.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Dont work for me, says i need an invite code and when i press to get one it wants me to spend £119? on a starter pack thing?

Mokus

Maybe. But it's not that the main issue. You share the "bandwidth" with others across the world. And when on certain segments is to crowded, less data will reach.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The service kinda sucks on a browser though, almost everyone who likes it has the Cromecast ultra.

The compression they use is different, and makes everything on the browser version look like shit last time I tried it (granted, they've been working on getting 4k in browser so I'd assume better compression at that point.)

I tried Destiny on a browser using a 4K screen and, yeah, it looked pretty awful. Basically like watching Twitch.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
By the way, you still have to rent buy the games, no?
Yes and no. Stadia Pro (which is what Google is offering here free for two months) includes a monthly selection of games you can claim and add to your account. Think of them like the GwG or PS+ offerings, you claim them once and they stay on your account as long as you're subscribed.

Here is a list of the current offerings:

XfrtrrF.png

All of which you can currently play "for free".

JimboJones

By the way, you still have to rent buy the games, no?
Yeah you gotta buy, there's a bunch of "free" ones on there like destiny, serious Sam and a few others I forget their names, but plenty their to get a feel of the service.

jshackles

And apart from Destiny, which is free *forever* elsewhere, those games are pretty forgettable.
Agreed. Like I mentioned above, I really only signed on for Gylt and to just check it out in general.

Worth noting that the Destiny 2 collection includes the expansions (which aren't free) if that's something you might care about. But I 100% agree that this is a sad, sad lineup.

EDIT: this is what their storefront / pricing looks like for those interested:

sQJYgWm.png

(aka not exciting!)

Last edited:

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
And apart from Destiny, which is free *forever* elsewhere, those games are pretty forgettable.

Gylt is pretty good if you're bored and have a few hours to kill. Don't know if it'd be worth buying, but can you really beat free for signing up for the two month trial?

Mokus

Yeah, so you believe their servers are having hard time ?
Sorry, but I have to correct myself. Looks like Google is purposely limits the resolution output to 1080p in order to avoid overloading the internet.

With increased demand due to more people at home during this time, we’re taking a responsible approach to internet traffic. For Stadia, we’ve always adjusted bandwidth use based on a variety of in-home and local internet factors. To reduce load on the internet further, we’re working toward a temporary feature that changes the default screen resolution from 4k to 1080p. The vast majority of people on a desktop or laptop won’t notice a significant drop in gameplay quality, but you can choose your data usage options in the Stadia app.
https://blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today

Top Bottom