• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Opening First Stadia Games Studio in Montreal

Bullet Club

Google has a plan that includes even more first-party studios.

Today Google announced it will open its first Stadia-focused game studio in Montreal.

A blog post from VP and Head of Stadia Games and Entertainment Jade Raymond announced the new studio, and explained that it “will produce exclusive, original content across a diverse portfolio of games in all your favorite genres.”

“Just as Stadia intends to change the way games are accessed and experienced by players,” the post continued, “we want to change the way games are made.” Raymond explained that they are aiming to foster a “diverse and inclusive workplace” with a focus on creating a positive company culture alongside the games they make.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Raymond also explained that Google has plans to build more first-party studios in addition to this first one in Montreal, and that it may be several years before we see “a huge new IP that's going to fully leverage the cloud.” That said, Google already has “quite a few exclusive games in the works that will demonstrate some of the exciting things about the platform” in the meantime.

Raymond said Stadia Games and Entertainment will be starting smaller than some of their grander, long-term plans. “Initially we're going to have some interesting indie-style titles we sign and they might look a little different, or take advantage of a YouTube integration, or have a different role for a streamer,” she said, while also making clear that “more and more” will arrive each year as they ramp up.

The Google Stadia Founder’s Edition will be launching on November 19, and we recently broke down how the company plans to tackle the latency issues that can come with streamed gaming. You can also find a full list of every game confirmed for Google Stadia here.

Source: IGN

I've got a feeling that they'll fail hard with their subscription system. It is only possible to use Stadia in mostly Europe and USA. Moreover I wouldn't subscribe to Stadia, because I am not a console gamer and whenever I use my PC (often) I need it's power for Photoshop and else as well as for games. Some people may find Stadia useful, but I don't see how can this become the future until Google make Netflix alike subscription model

Joe T.

Makes sense, Google wanting to get the most bang for their buck. They've been looking for Montreal-based Stadia hires for weeks on LinkedIn.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Oh you poor souls

Well, I guess we’ll see a lot of AA titles being produced by this studio so they can have filler titles to offer to the subscribers - kinda like MS looks poised to be doing for GamePass.

Last edited:

Fbh

Can't wait to hear all of the exaggerated wild promises they'll make about their games.

"Thanks to the power of Stadia all NPC in our game have such advanced AI that they are comparable to real humans. The UN is actually debating if we need to give them human rights".

"Our Stadia games are so advanced you'll never again know if you are watching a movie trailer or a videogame trailer because the graphics will be so photorealistic"

"We've partnered up with Hideo Kojima to upload his mind to Stadia so digital Kojima can work 24/7 on making new Stadia games"

"You crappy cheap LCD will now look like a top of the Line OLED when playing Stadia exclusives because our games have digital cloud image enhancement. The black levels and contrast are simulated in the cloud so all your TV needs to do is provide power. If you have more than 40MBs it will actually be comparable to a 16K Microled TV which doesn't even exist yet!!!"

Last edited:

Harlock

Remind me of Amazon. Those companies think that making a game is like baking a big cake. So many things can go wrong and will go wrong.

NickFire

Is this really Google's marketing strategy? If I understand correctly, it may be "several years" before Google releases a first party game that takes full advantage of the cloud (Stadia's only differentiating feature outside of anticipated lag). But don't worry, because although it will take several years before we see a game that MIGHT only be possible on Stadia, they will spend those years making diverse indie titles, titles that take advantage of youtube integration, and they will also do their best to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone is happy because they are allowed several years before they are expected to make a AAA game.

WTF did I just read?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The Wii U launch was actually better handled than this.

At least with the Wii U, we had NSMBU day one, and a number of different first party studios making games for more than a year.

Vawn

Banned
The Wii U launch was actually better handled than this.

At least with the Wii U, we had NSMBU day one, and a number of different first party studios making games for more than a year.

The Wii U was never a bad console. It was a horribly marketed (and named) console, ensuring it never had a chance.

You can aim for talent and you might get diversity but if you aim for diversity then you might get talent. Their sentence indicates they are aiming towards the latter.
I’m sure, that during the interview process, Google never even looked at there resumes. Giant corporations have to advertise their diversity, otherwise people will flip out.

Dthomp

Has Jade Raymond made something good in forever?

For a chick all about Whamans in the gaming industry, she doesn't do them any favors by continuing to get jobs cause she's hot , and based nothing on her ability to do a job (Which I question she can at this point)

Romulus

I think what bothers alot of people is that there will likely be some good games that come out of Stadia studios eventually, and not everyone will have the opportunity to play them with ideal connections.

People are just mad, literally hoping it fails so they don't feel left out.

The problem is Google has more money than most countries, so if they believe streaming will be the next big thing, and they want to be seen as the big name frontrunner. So you better believe there will be lots of games you wish you could play on it in a few years.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Anything they come up with should port easily enough to PC/Nextgen consoles. Even if(when) Stadia fails maybe the studios who show promise stay. Probably wishful thinking.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Google has a plan that includes even more first-party studios.

Today Google announced it will open its first Stadia-focused game studio in Montreal.

A blog post from VP and Head of Stadia Games and Entertainment Jade Raymond announced the new studio, and explained that it “will produce exclusive, original content across a diverse portfolio of games in all your favorite genres.”

“Just as Stadia intends to change the way games are accessed and experienced by players,” the post continued, “we want to change the way games are made.” Raymond explained that they are aiming to foster a “diverse and inclusive workplace” with a focus on creating a positive company culture alongside the games they make.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Raymond also explained that Google has plans to build more first-party studios in addition to this first one in Montreal, and that it may be several years before we see “a huge new IP that's going to fully leverage the cloud.” That said, Google already has “quite a few exclusive games in the works that will demonstrate some of the exciting things about the platform” in the meantime.

Raymond said Stadia Games and Entertainment will be starting smaller than some of their grander, long-term plans. “Initially we're going to have some interesting indie-style titles we sign and they might look a little different, or take advantage of a YouTube integration, or have a different role for a streamer,” she said, while also making clear that “more and more” will arrive each year as they ramp up.

The Google Stadia Founder’s Edition will be launching on November 19, and we recently broke down how the company plans to tackle the latency issues that can come with streamed gaming. You can also find a full list of every game confirmed for Google Stadia here.

Source: IGN

they are throwing money in the trash

They should use that to have a better search tool or at least a decent electronic products

The Wii U was never a bad console. It was a horribly marketed (and named) console, ensuring it never had a chance.

In my opinion, it most certainly was a bad console. It had a weird mandatory controller with a screen that drove the price up, that nobody really wanted and was pretty useless unless you wanted to play off screen.

It's also a terrible idea to have the players shift their looks from the TV down to the controller, and back, while playing.

It was also terribly underpowered, forcing most games to run at 720p in a time when 1080p was the norm, or at least, was becoming the norm.

That would possibly have been acceptable, had they lowered the price significantly. Which they wouldn't because of the controller, and because, Nintendo.

On top of that, a super slow and clunky OS, and downloadable games tied to the console instead of the user account.

That to me, is a bad console. There was nothing good about the console itself. A few games that were good in spite of the bad console, but that's it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom