• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google patent shows possible controller design for its game streaming service

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/9/1...oller-project-stream-streaming-service-render

Earlier this year, word broke that Google is exploring a game streaming service powered by Chromecast, and a newly-discovered patent shows off what could be the controller that service would rely on.

Later this month, Google is hosting a mysterious event during the Game Developers Conference that very well could revolve around its the rumored streaming service, which in past reports has been likened to a “Netflix for games” and is said to be built on the technology Google developed for its Project Stream trial last year.

The patent itself is for a notification system for the controller that notifies a player when a game is now available, that a user has received an invitation, a status chance on a leaderboard, or a chat request from another player.

Screen_Shot_2019_03_09_at_4.41.32_PM.0.png

Screen_Shot_2019_03_09_at_5.16.02_PM.png

Shin

Banned
Too colorful, cross-pad and Assistant icon didn't need half the colors of a rainbow.
Grips look too short and a bit too pointy, the patent diagram looks more interesting than the real* thing as it stands.

Texas Pride

Banned
Looks like an uncomfortable piece of shit if I'm being honest here. Hope they didn't dump a lot of money on R & D on that monstrosity.

cryptoadam

Banned
Looks like a controller.

But at least they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel here with 25 buttons or touch screens or a coffee maker or something.

2 sticks, 4 face buttons, a dpad, and 4 shoulder buttons. Simple as that.

I love all the comments about it being an ugly piece of shit because as a person who has been gaming for over 25 years - it looks like an uncomfortable POS. It's so obvious.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I think I'd rather buy an Ouya gamepad.
Amazon made a better controller than this
that weird, angular Nvidia Shield controller looks more comfortable than this

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't have a problem with symmetrical analogs, but I hate when they are too close together.

BlackTron

Could never get into PS controllers, can't get over the placement of the left stick. Same deal here.

Generally, your left thumb is on the left stick and your right thumb is on face buttons. Thus the left stick and face buttons are both in the same position on a (in my view) good controller.

For the same reasons, the DS4 is pretty good for d-pad heavy games.

Ellis

Can't be any worse than what Nintendo would design. Last good controller they created was nearly 30 years ago.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
are your fucking hands symmetric with the thumb on the inside or no? wtf?
They are, which is why I want the primary input I use in all games (except shooters, which I do not play anyway) to be - symmetrically - in the most comfortable positions: Left stick and buttons.

Dontero

Banned
Well making the analog stick parallel immediately makes it trash so GG

It always amazes me when people don't understand that this setup follows hands natural resting position.
It is superior because you don't stress your thumb like you would normally by using alternative xbox stick placement.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
It always amazes me when people don't understand that this setup follows hands natural resting position.
It is superior because you don't stress your thumb like you would normally by using alternative xbox stick placement.

It amazes me even more that people fail to realize that the asymmetrical stick layout that Xbox uses is widely considered superior to the symmetrical layout. More PC gamers I'd bet use Xbox controllers vs DS ones. Hell, they even make controllers for PS4 that have asymmetrical sticks.

Nothing wrong with you preferring one over the other, but your whole "It amazes me people don't understand" spiel doesn't fly. Most people do understand... And still prefer it the opposite way from you.

bitbydeath

It amazes me even more that people fail to realize that the asymmetrical stick layout that Xbox uses is widely considered superior to the symmetrical layout. More PC gamers I'd bet use Xbox controllers vs DS ones. Hell, they even make controllers for PS4 that have asymmetrical sticks.

Nothing wrong with you preferring one over the other, but your whole "It amazes me people don't understand" spiel doesn't fly. Most people do understand... And still prefer it the opposite way from you.

If it were widely considered superior it would be the most sold system right?

JCK75

Hopefully it's at least an Nvidia Shield style attempt from google, I'd love another streaming box option that seconds as an emulation station.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Could never get into PS controllers, can't get over the placement of the left stick. Same deal here.

Generally, your left thumb is on the left stick and your right thumb is on face buttons. Thus the left stick and face buttons are both in the same position on a (in my view) good controller.

For the same reasons, the DS4 is pretty good for d-pad heavy games.

In any job with a user movable camera, think FPS and lots of TPS games, your thumbs are constantly on both hence why I still struggle to appreciate asymmetric designs... less so on Xbox 360 than Switch where the joycon make asymmetric design quite painful for FPS games...

LordRaptor

For literally any genre that isn't FPS asymmetric stick placement is best, because the Actions you are using most are located where your thumbs naturally rest.

and even then most people aren;t constantly adjusting camera on console FPS games, because console FPS games are literally designed to not need a mouse to be played well.

Can't be any worse than what Nintendo would design. Last good controller they created was nearly 30 years ago.

Uhhhh you think the N64 tripod is the best controller Nintendo have ever made?

....wat

Last edited:
Those shoulder buttons also look horrible. This looks like a very uncomfortable controller. I guess we’ll see how this plays out.

are your fucking hands symmetric with the thumb on the inside or no? wtf?
While I don't want a war of any kind, asymmetric joysticks make sense.

Your thumb is most relaxed when resting next to index finger, like your left hand on the left joystick on an Xbox controller. Close to all games use the left joystick for movement of some sort, so your thumb will be on it most of the time, in the resting position.

On the right hand side, moving your thumb outwards to the right joystick puts more strain on your muscles and is not relaxed. In shooters you'll be in this strained position a lot, to be fair, but you're still be switching to the face button regularly. In racing games you use face buttons only with your right thumb, which is then in resting position. That's partly the thought behind it.

I wonder how it would be if face buttons and right joystick switched places, though.

LordRaptor

At least it has concave surfaces on the thumbsticks which it took sony fans 4 consoles to admit are superior for grip than convex

DESTROYA

Either way I really don’t care where the thumb sticks are placed because it’s google and they will screw it up one way or another .
Color me 100% disinterested in any game services offered by google.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
While I don't want a war of any kind, asymmetric joysticks make sense.

Your thumb is most relaxed when resting next to index finger, like your left hand on the left joystick on an Xbox controller. Close to all games use the left joystick for movement of some sort, so your thumb will be on it most of the time, in the resting position.

On the right hand side, moving your thumb outwards to the right joystick puts more strain on your muscles and is not relaxed. In shooters you'll be in this strained position a lot, to be fair, but you're still be switching to the face button regularly. In racing games you use face buttons only with your right thumb, which is then in resting position. That's partly the thought behind it.

I wonder how it would be if face buttons and right joystick switched places, though.

Aka the best design... Wii U GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller layout...

Wii U Pro Controller > PS4 >> Xbox 360 ~ PS3 (Sixaxis was quite light and comfortable and D-Pad worked well) > Switch Pro Controller >>>>> JoyCon (for my hands at least).

Top Bottom