• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So get a Samsung. Google went into their reasons why they don't.

I do have a S7 Edge right now. I meant for my next phone. I hate how much bloatware is on Samsung slowing my phone. I have to use package disabler to stop a bunch of resource hogging stuff from running because it can't simply be turned off or uninstalled.

reKon

Banned
I do have a S7 Edge right now. I meant for my next phone. I hate how much bloatware is on Samsung slowing my phone. I have to use package disabler to stop a bunch of resource hogging stuff from running because it can't simply be turned off or uninstalled.

Exynos or Snapdragon version?

Kreed

So, I'm liking the spigen clear case. The otter box has done me well in the past but i think i want to see the phone.

The larger otter box has a higher rim and prevents the screen cracking when it hits flat on a surface. Like this weekend for my current phone. I took the case off and been enjoying a case less phone.

Do you guys use screen protectors to prevent cracked screens? Is that a thing? Could a spigen clear case and a screen protector be an approach or is the spigen pretty good at preventing screens breaking? It looks like a smaller rim and like my old case from two phones ago that still allowed a broken screen.

I'd go with a Invisible Shield Glass+ screen protector since they are a lot thicker than most screen protectors.

Got the pixel XL on Friday, still havent activated it yet since I still have the Note 7 and haven't receive my return box yet. Figure I'll use the Note 7 to the end before turning on my XL while at the same time I'm eager to set up my pixel already.

Sky Chief

So after 24 hours with this phone I think that design wise it's the Volvo of cell phones. It's made from high quality materials, good fit and finish, good looking but more handsome than beautiful, a bit chunky and not pushing any design boundaries and not what would be described as sexy.

EDIT: Apple is like Audi, minimalist techy design, and strong brand language. Samsung is like Tesla, futuristic, lots of glass, battery can burst into flames of damaged.

reKon

Banned

because statistically they have a greater chance of getting in a car accident? Just to be safe, I would just be by the phone when it's charging and have it turned off if I'm away if I really wanted to be safe.

I really hope Samsung can figure out what the issue was because this whole thing has been bizarre and has never happened in the history of cellphones. It's gotta be some failure in the design that even the smallest defect would cause this reaction..

Figured I would check to see if the Verizon station at Costco had the Pixels on display to see how the black and blue pixels looks in person and they didn't have them.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I don't know if Assistant is far and away better. They're closer than I previously thought. And Siri is far, far more beautiful. I didn't realize Siri displayed results with that much more elegance.

Assistant is better for sure, though, but as an Android user, Siri is closer than I was led to believe.

That's surprised me as well. Google Assistant is better, but not by much really. Did someone say it can't read texts? Is that true?

nupKgVu.png

Much better battery life on the second full day with my XL. Day included navigation, podcasts, average level of games and web browsing.

Google now could, so I'd be very surprised.

assistant is a brand new thing and doesnt yet have all the capabilities as the old google voice services. which are still there. you have like 3 ways of searching google on this phone.

it's a very google thing to do. roll out the new thing even though it's now ready while keeping the old thing around. it's also why we have 4 gooogle messaging apps on this phone.

co1onel

I'm easily getting 6-7 hours of sot each day so far. Pretty much on par with the s7 edge for me, which is really good.

Laekon

I'm easily getting 6-7 hours of sot each day so far. Pretty much on par with the s7 edge for me, which is really good.
Really need to upgrade my 5X. I don't use my phone a lot most days but when I need it I max out at like 3.25 hours.

Has anybody NOT received their Pixel XL from the Google Store yet? I have an estimated delivered of Oct 21-24th with expedited shipping.

My order is still Pending. I'm really frustrated, I contacted Google about it on the 21st and they gave me a non answer of "oh it's processing on our end, don't worry about it".

But tomorrow is the 24th and I doubt if it hasn't shipped already it will make it to me tomorrow..

Google now could, so I'd be very surprised.

It can't.

I asked it to read a new text I got and it said "I can't read texts yet"

I don't use "Allo".. maybe it can in that app? I use google's own Messages sms app for android.. but assistant told me it couldn't read my text messages yet.

garath

It can't.

I don't use "Allo".. maybe it can in that app? I use google's own Messages sms app for android.. but assistant told me it couldn't read my text messages yet.

I got told the same thing. I use the stock Google messaging app for now too.

Hopefully soon. That would be helpful.

SDCowboy

no wireless charging either? hits keep coming for me.

Yeah as much as I love the phone, I don't get why there are still phones coming out in 2016 that don't have wireless charging. At this rate, I'm never going to get to use my truck's built in wireless charging pad. lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Pretty sure Best Buy has them right now. Only for Verizon though.

Thanks I'll be close to both best buy and Verizon today. I just want to get a feel for it in person before I consider ordering it. I'm not thrilled with the price so I might just wait until after the holidays. I bet that is when we will see the first round of discounts for it.

faisal233

Yeah as much as I love the phone, I don't get why there are still phones coming out in 2016 that don't have wireless charging. At this rate, I'm never going to get to use my truck's built in wireless charging pad. lol
Wireless charging is crap, I doubt it's going to have any kind of major resurgence. Id rather plug in my phone with quick charge and get close to 100% instead of wireless charge.

I'm not sure when Google changed it, but on my 6P I was able to reply to notifications on the lock screen without needing to use my password. On my Pixel XL it's just annoying

killroy87

Is it a thing with Androids where charging over USB is slow as hell? Whenever I connect it to my laptop, it says "charging slowly" and creeps up at a painful rate. I was doing some research, and I understand the logic (that a computer doesn't provide as much power), but plugging my iPhone 6 into USB charges it just fine. If an iPhone charges slower over usb, the difference certainly isn't this drastic. Why would the two phones differ so much?

After 2 full days with my XL, battery should last me all day with the way I use it. I agree with others that I get about probably 7 hours SOT. I'm coming from a Nexus 5, so the difference is very noticeable to me.

EulaCapra

Ugh kinda raving mad at myself right now.

I subscribed to Google Project Fi + Google Pixel phone like two weeks ago. I submitted my credit card info with my full middle name and not its abbreviated initial as it says on my card. Google left my Project Fi intact but canceled my Pixel phone order. I called customer service and they told me my queue in shipping is gone and had to start the order over.

So dammit, I think I lost my eligibility for that free Daydream VR Headset too...

Has anybody NOT received their Pixel XL from the Google Store yet? I have an estimated delivered of Oct 21-24th with expedited shipping.

My order is still Pending. I'm really frustrated, I contacted Google about it on the 21st and they gave me a non answer of "oh it's processing on our end, don't worry about it".

But tomorrow is the 24th and I doubt if it hasn't shipped already it will make it to me tomorrow..
Mine shipped Friday and isn't due to get here until Tuesday :/ It's just going from IL to TX, too.

Is it a thing with Androids where charging over USB is slow as hell? Whenever I connect it to my laptop, it says "charging slowly" and creeps up at a painful rate. I was doing some research, and I understand the logic (that a computer doesn't provide as much power), but plugging my iPhone 6 into USB charges it just fine. If an iPhone charges slower over usb, the difference certainly isn't this drastic. Why would the two phones differ so much?

iPhones have smaller batteries than similarly sized Android phones. Apple has tight control over the silicon as well as the OS so they are able to make things way, way more efficient.

things will improve once everything goes to USB C since it can provide way more power.

I have an XL, I'm shocked by how much I love the finger print scanner location. It's perfect for me and I got used to it after about 2 hours of use.

I felt the same with with my 5x. And I'm on my third phone because the scanner kept breaking. I gave up this time, but I'm thinking of having Google replace it with the Pixel. I just want it to work, dammit.

Sony

Nintendo
This phone looks like that HTC A9 or 10 thing that was released last year.

My jimiies in general are rustled by claims that the iPhone 6's design has been copied while iPhone 6's design is heavily "inspired" by HTC's work after the first HTC One.

Kerned

Banned
Got mine yesterday, really liking it so far. I do have one big issue though.The speaker is in a terrible spot for playing games in landscape orientation. My hand is always blocking the speaker when I am holding the phone in the most logical and comfortable way.

This wouldn't be a problem if you could force an app to open "upside down" from the default, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. Anyone have a workaround?

garath

I'm not getting as much screen on time as a lot of you. I'm averaging 5 hours before I put it on the charger at around 25%. I play a lot of granblue fantasy and I think that sucks up the juice.

Husker86

assistant is a brand new thing and doesnt yet have all the capabilities as the old google voice services. which are still there. you have like 3 ways of searching google on this phone.

it's a very google thing to do. roll out the new thing even though it's now ready while keeping the old thing around. it's also why we have 4 gooogle messaging apps on this phone.

It can't.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. After Allo didn't bring over my chat history...you really can't say anything with certainty about Google's new products

killroy87

Does anyone know if certain Google assistant functions, like OpenTable integration, is limited to US only? I'm in Canada, and we have OpenTable, and I gave it permissions in the settings to work with Google, but I can't seem to make the Google assistant make a reservation for me like it did in the reveal conference. I have made sure I'm looking for a restaurant that is on OpenTable and everything, but the best I can get is Google bringing up the search result for the restaurant. It's not a massive deal, but I thought it was a cool piece of functionality.

Has anyone tried replicating this functionality?

the only thing I can think of is maybe you're hitting the old google search. make sure you're getting the actual assistant by holding down the home button. I'm guessing you are and it just didn't work in Canada for some weird reason.

Particle Physicist

So Google Assistant was rewritten from scratch? I would think it would be easy to import features. This phone sounds cool but I might hold off until version 2 or at least until all these things get sorted out into one search tool and one messaging app. Haha.

So Google Assistant was rewritten from scratch? I would think it would be easy to import features. This phone sounds cool but I might hold off until version 2 or at least until all these things get sorted out into one search tool and one messaging app. Haha.

maybe not from scratch but it's definitely its own thing.

and yeah, this is very much beta software.

killroy87

the only thing I can think of is maybe you're hitting the old google search. make sure you're getting the actual assistant by holding down the home button. I'm guessing you are and it just didn't work in Canada for some weird reason.

Yea, I'm definitely using Google Assistant. Hmm, thats lame.

Particle Physicist

maybe not from scratch but it's definitely its own thing.

and yeah, this is very much beta software.

Cool, I never like getting version 1 of gadgets and things. I feel like there is always unforeseen issues that are later fixed with the next versions. Definitely looks like I will get Pixel 2 when it comes out. I don't do a yearly update, more like every 2-3 years so I can wait. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom