• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuckthew

How is battery life on the regular pixel? Thinking of jumping in but don't want to spend the big bucks for the xl. I'd be coming from a iPhone 6s Plus which has pretty good battery life.

I have a Pixel as a work phone so my usage won't be comparable to typical personal usage, but I can get through 3 days without needing to charge.

Ash735

Man that concept design looks great, throw an audio jack on there and I'm sold, not a fan of the Pixels iPhone clone look.

Anyone experiencing issues with the keyboard not showing up quickly to type or just randomly freezing the app when trying to type?
This has been happening on Nexus phones too, keyboard just not responding or taking it's time to show up.

spuckthew

That's bonkers.

It's relative. I'm not really watching videos or playing music or Facebooking etc as it's a work phone (although I do do a modest amount of browsing), mainly just emailing, texting and calling, and I don't use it a great deal in the evenings at home.

Arttemis

My Pixel XL usually drops down to 20% by the end of the day, but I've used it for 48 hours between charges before. It all depends how mobile I am; if I'm near a computer, my phone will not be used to browse the internet.

So I'm thinking of going Pixel XL. I know the 2 is coming soon, but my phone as is is on it's last leg. Was leaning toward Galaxy for a long time, but I hear a lot of good stuff about the Pixel.

So I'm thinking of going Pixel XL. I know the 2 is coming soon, but my phone as is is on it's last leg. Was leaning toward Galaxy for a long time, but I hear a lot of good stuff about the Pixel.
It's an outstanding phone. Had it since launch, and it's still just as smooth and flawless.

Arttemis

I've had the Pixel XL since launch, and I think it's a great phone, but I would recommend a Galaxy S8 over it. I thought the Note 7 was a better phone than the PXL, but I had to send it in for the recall.

I'm very excited to see the hardware improvements made in the next Pixel phone. There are some very odd decisions that point to this phone being an HTC rush job, but has a fantastic, slick OS.

I've had the Pixel XL since launch, and I think it's a great phone, but I would recommend a Galaxy S8 over it. I thought the Note 7 was a better phone than the PXL, but I had to send it in for the recall.

I'm very excited to see the hardware improvements made in the next Pixel phone. There are some very odd decisions that point to this phone being an HTC rush job, but has a fantastic, slick OS.

Have you actually used a Galaxy S8? What would you say is the problem with the Pixel? I really can't find anything particularly bad about outside it's bland as hell design, but I don't care about that.

Go with the Pixel. This is literally the first time that I've had no urge at all to upgrade as next gen phones arrive. It's the perfect phone. It's as flawless as the day I got it.

I'd have to completely disagree on the Galaxy S8. Galaxy phones are notorious for having shitty performance after a few months of ownership. I can certainly say that that was my experience with the S4, S6, and S7. In fact, Samsung phones, even day one, have never had the type of performance you'd hope for. The Pixel is just blazingly fast. And it has the best camera. The aesthetics of the S8 are definitely pretty cool though.

I just picked up a XL myself. Love my Note 5 but the battery is absolute shit so I figured I'll test drive the XL for a few months before the Note 8 or XL 2.

I Just hope the Note doesn't go with the edge screens. That is the sole reason why I won't be getting the S8/+. Had a S7E and hated the edge screens so much.

I constantly swap out phones and like to try new ones so not sure what kinda position you're in. I don't mind trying out the XL for several months before I jump ship to a newer flagship. If it wasn't for the battery on the Note 5 I'd stick with it.

I just picked up a XL myself. Love my Note 5 but the battery is absolute shit so I figured I'll test drive the XL for a few months before the Note 8 or XL 2.

I Just hope the Note doesn't go with the edge screens. That is the sole reason why I won't be getting the S8/+. Had a S7E and hated the edge screens so much.

I constantly swap out phones and like to try new ones so not sure what kinda position you're in. I don't mind trying out the XL for several months before I jump ship to a newer flagship. If it wasn't for the battery on the Note 5 I'd stick with it.

I'm currently on a Galaxy S3 with a cracked screen and a home button that barely works lol. I've had it for a long time.

They already went with a curved screen on the Note 7.

Pixel still the champ:

25-980x913.jpg

Actual in-app performance on the Galaxy S8 is not great. The Google Pixel raised the bar for what smooth Android performance looks like, and the Galaxy S8 just can't keep up. In the above picture you see Android's built-in GPU profiler mode. Each vertical line is the time it takes to draw a single frame, with the horizontal green bar representing 60FPS. Bars under the green line rendered in time, resulting in smooth 60FPS scrolling. Bars that overshoot the line took too long to render, resulting in a stutter in the UI animation.

Even in the lowest resolution possible—1480×720—the Galaxy S8 still drops a ton of frames when scrolling complicated apps like the Play Store. The highly optimized Google Pixel—at its full 2560×1440 resolution—is easily getting frames in on time. And even if things do slow down, there's a sizable amount of render time still.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-shiny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/

ArchAngel

Got my Peel case today and I love it. I don't need shock resistance, just dust and dirt because of my job. I've never had a case this thin, and no focus problems with this.
The only thing that they could change are the measurements for the camera/focus/mic cutouts in the back that are little bit off.

sHIkBXS.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Love my Pixel to pieces but starting to get "random" freezes and times where the screen won't light up which both require me to restart the phone. Also for some reason when I'm talking to someone on speaker, it'll switch and pump audio through the ear piece but the UI still reads speaker. Pretty frustrating mid conversation.

Overall I still love the phone but these little issues are going to cause death by a thousand cuts if it continues for me.

killroy87

The ugly bezels have always been the one weakness of the Pixel, and after seeing the sexiness of the S8 and rumored next iPhone design, I'll be super miffed if they don't go away for the next iteraiton.

Just purchased the Pixel XL...$75 credit for financing + a free case, so I'm not too upset about buying it this late in the cycle. It's not like I can wait till October anyway - I (err, my wife) just had a baby girl and I feel the need to photograph every move she makes, lol.

killroy87

Does anyone have spotty Bluetooth reception on their Pixel? It's not that it loses connection, it just kind of skips and cuts out for half a second pretty regularly when I run. I have a case on my phone, which I feel like I've heard would block the bluetooth antennae, but was just curious if anyone else has this. My iPhone 6 never had a problem, reception was perfect.

Just purchased the Pixel XL...$75 credit for financing + a free case, so I'm not too upset about buying it this late in the cycle. It's not like I can wait till October anyway - I (err, my wife) just had a baby girl and I feel the need to photograph every move she makes, lol.

You won't regret it. The Pixel doesn't feel dated at all. I've been a "new phone every year" guy for literally the last 10 years, and for the first time, I won't be upgrading this year. The Pixel is that good. There really isn't much of anything that can be significantly improved from a performance/camera/battery life standpoint. I do expect to see large improvements in build quality/bezels though. With that said, I'll be waiting for the Pixel 3.

killroy87

If Google introduces, along with the Pixel 2, a iPhone SE-style small Pixel this fall, all my dreams will come true. i don't really need more power or a better camera, I think my Pixel is a dope phone. But I'd be lying if I said I don't really miss smaller form factor phones. Every time I walk into an Apple Store, the iPhone SE tempts me.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Gave my pixel xl to Dad. He was going on a vacation and needed a camera. I am now waiting for Pixel 2 now.

If Google introduces, along with the Pixel 2, a iPhone SE-style small Pixel this fall, all my dreams will come true. i don't really need more power or a better camera, I think my Pixel is a dope phone. But I'd be lying if I said I don't really miss smaller form factor phones. Every time I walk into an Apple Store, the iPhone SE tempts me.

Man that's just crazy talk. To me there is nothing more useless than small smartphones lol I can't even type anymore on a small screen. Browsing is atrocious too.

redlegs87

I did the financing too but I didn't see the part about the free case so I sadly missed out on that. I was looking at the crashguard bumper case anyone here use that one?

zulux21

is there a known 5 inch 128gb restock coming any time soon?
also what turn around time am I looking at between signing up with google fi and ordering a pixel through them and getting the phone.

I have a trip in early august that I want google fi for (international trip) and want to make sure I get the phone with time to spare.

I did the financing too but I didn't see the part about the free case so I sadly missed out on that. I was looking at the crashguard bumper case anyone here use that one?

I used to use the crashguard bumper case but I switched to a Spigen clear case. Crashguard is great and works just fine but I'm ocd about the back of the phone getting scratched so I switched to the Spigen case. Also the Anker USB C cable I use to charge my phone didn't fit through the slit the bumper has at the bottom.

XRw2Q9M.jpg

OjGK2nh.jpg

redlegs87

I used to use the crashguard bumper case but I switched to a Spigen clear case. Crashguard is great and works just fine but I'm ocd about the back of the phone getting scratched so I switched to the Spigen case. Also the Anker USB C cable I use to charge my phone didn't fit through the slit the bumper has at the bottom.

I feel you on the scratching mainly the glass part of the back. I went ahead got the bumper and a dbrand skin for the back glass so that solves the scratching issue for me.

You should email support and see if they'll hook you up. Even if you go with another case, a $35 case for free is worth the email.

I have to buy a phone today to replace my ancient Samsung Galaxy S3 (I'd upgraded to the Note 7 last year, but we all know how that went). I'm torn between this and the Galaxy S8+. I really like the reported performance of this phone and the auto backup at full res to Google Photos. The S8 has dat screen, though, and with Verizon, I'd be able to trade it in and upgrade in one year instead of 2. I'm curious about the new iPhone coming later this year and may want to jump ship after some time if it's everything folks are saying...

Advises?

BlitzKeeg

I have to buy a phone today to replace my ancient Samsung Galaxy S3 (I'd upgraded to the Note 7 last year, but we all know how that went). I'm torn between this and the Galaxy S8+. I really like the reported performance of this phone and the auto backup at full res to Google Photos. The S8 has dat screen, though, and with Verizon, I'd be able to trade it in and upgrade in one year instead of 2. I'm curious about the new iPhone coming later this year and may want to jump ship after some time if it's everything folks are saying...

Advises?

It depends on what you're looking for, but the reason I switched from Samsung is because I was sick of their bloated OS.

The pixel is the perfect phone for someone who wants stock android on a well built device. I've had mine for about a month now and I love it. It's essentially the iPhone of android right now.

killroy87

XRw2Q9M.jpg

OjGK2nh.jpg

Hmm, this might be what I need to fix the stupid bluetooth interference im having.

Erv

I wonder if those leaked photos of the next pixel are legit. Was hoping they got rid of the half glass back. Not a fan. Full glass or full matte.

Does anyone else have an issue with their pixel where phone call volume is absurdly low? I always have to wear headphones when I talk on the phone bc the voice volume is always so low even when I turn it all the way up.

killroy87

Does anyone else have an issue with their pixel where phone call volume is absurdly low? I always have to wear headphones when I talk on the phone bc the voice volume is always so low even when I turn it all the way up.

I don't have that issue, but I do have an issue where super sporadically (once a week or so) the Pixel will randomly turn the volume down to like 20% and lock it there. And when I try to turn it up, it asks me if I want to turn off the volume limiter.

No rhyme or reason as to when or why it happens. It's not the biggest deal, but it's clearly a little bug of some sort.

lcbrus

Does it work normally when you use the speaker phone? My original Pixel did that and I had to send it back to Google and get a replacement.

Does it work normally when you use the speaker phone? My original Pixel did that and I had to send it back to Google and get a replacement.
Hm I'll check

E: yeah, the volume is fine when I'm on speaker phone. The phone is like 8 months old at this point, I'm not sure if I have warranty either haha

lcbrus

Hm I'll check

E: yeah, the volume is fine when I'm on speaker phone. The phone is like 8 months old at this point, I'm not sure if I have warranty either haha

I'm pretty sure the warranty is for one year. Get in contact with Google and they should take care of it.

lcbrus

My launch Pixel XL low volume problem started after 4 months. I called Google and they shipped me a new one on the same day.

redlegs87

Just got it all set up and man what have I been missing. Everything downloaded and installed instantly unlike my 5x where it'd download wait on install for like 10 seconds then move on. No screen lag that I can tell. Can't wait to test this camera out later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom