• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMattera

After two Oreo updates and a factory reset, my battery life remains terrible.

Good for about 15 hours of on time, 2.5 hours of SoT.

Yup. 2 Oreo Updates, battery has definitely dropped a lot. Also little things annoy me how, Talon Twitter widget fails. You can't swipe off news stories from the Google interests page now either when you're done with them.

It's shit.

plenilune

Coming from iPhone, what I love most about Android is the near instant transition animations. It makes a huge difference everywhere. Sort of miss the magnifying glass when typing, but that's it.

av2k

I deleted Facebook app and messenger for an massive increase of battery life while on Oreo, see if that works for you guys.

SMattera

The phone worked just fine with both Facebook and Messenger installed the first 7 months that I owned it. "Just stop using two of the world's most popular apps" is not a solution.

Like when Chrome was causing the phone to overheat. "Just use some shitty third party browser."

Uh, no. These apps are the reason I own a smartphone in the first place. If I can't use very common place apps without the phone running like crap, I might as well just go back to a Nokia 3310.

Carn82

The phone worked just fine with both Facebook and Messenger installed the first 7 months that I owned it. "Just stop using two of the world's most popular apps" is not a solution.

Like when Chrome was causing the phone to overheat. "Just use some shitty third party browser."

Uh, no. These apps are the reason I own a smartphone in the first place. If I can't use very common place apps without the phone running like crap, I might as well just go back to a Nokia 3310.

yeah it's the classic tradeoff. If CPUs become faster; software wants to use it. If batteries increase, more charge will be consumed. There should be some kind of OS-level rule that would you to set a specific 'battery profile' for apps, and the apps should run/behave differently based on that profile setting. Low power mode? block push/pull updates to the app, and maybe lock certain features that require to much power.

But it also boggles my mind why not all apps have a 'light version'. I do understand why the Facebook app is full of shit features I dont use (since they want to push that), but at least offer people a simpler, distilled experience that is 'hidden' behind a few options. The Average Joe will probably still use the 'full' version anyways.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Those apps are bloated battery-killing pieces of crap. Use this instead: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.lite

Still a pretty bad app, but it works.

Cynar

You need to take the issue up with Facebook then. It's well known that their apps are horrible. You can use Facebook lite really by installing an apk if you are that addicted to social media.

SMattera

Those apps are bloated battery-killing pieces of crap. Use this instead: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.lite

Still a pretty bad app, but it works.

You need to take the issue up with Facebook then. It's well known that their apps are horrible. You can use Facebook lite really by installing an apk if you are that addicted to social media.

You're missing my point.

Those apps have been battery hogs for YEARS. It wasn't something that changed in the last few months. It's been a known problem for a long time. From launch until about April/May, my Pixel battery life was perfectly fine, even with both those apps installed and used heavily. 4+ hours SOT; 24+ hours of total on time.

Messenger is my default messenger app and Facebook is my default social networking app. I'd be willing to switch if Google could make a decent alternative to either one. But for some reason they can't.

The Pixel is just another Nexus with all the half baked errors and everything that comes with it. (Except it actually has a good camera.) At $950, it may have been the worst electronics purchase I've ever made.

Blackhead

Redarse
You're missing my point.

Those apps have been battery hogs for YEARS. It wasn't something that changed in the last few months. It's been a known problem for a long time. From launch until about April/May, my Pixel battery life was perfectly fine, even with both those apps installed and used heavily. 4+ hours SOT; 24+ hours of total on time.
Yeah I'm definitely missing the point here. Why are you sure it's a Pixel issue and not an update/settings change made by Facebook in their apps?

SMattera

Yeah I'm definitely missing the point here. Why are you sure it's a Pixel issue and not an update/settings change made by Facebook in their apps?

I uninstalled both apps and ran the phone for a couple days.

Bumped me up to about 2 hours and 45 minutes of SOT from 2.5 hours. That's actually a nontrivial improvement. But it's still pretty bad, and it's still down significantly from where the phone was at launch.

Water

Coming from iPhone, what I love most about Android is the near instant transition animations. It makes a huge difference everywhere. Sort of miss the magnifying glass when typing, but that's it.
In case you didn't know, under Developer Options you can adjust transition/animator/etc timescale to make those animations even faster or skip them entirely:
https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options.html#enable
That's why I always enable Dev mode on my phones even if I don't intend to build apps on them.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The deal of the day at Woot.com is a refurbed Google Pixel.

5" 32GB - $349.99
5" 128GB - $399.99
5.5" 32GB - $399.99
5.5" 128GB - $449.99

Not all combinations are available in all colors. They have the 5.5" 32GB model available in blue.

Rktk

Google sent me a Pixel XL despite saying my 6P was getting replaced like for like. I'm buying a case, wanted to know from the long term users:

How has the official case with its fuzzy interior held up over time?

l8tQHqa.png

Any other recommendations from people who have had the Pixel for some time?

vypek

I have both Outlook and Yahoo on my phone and when I get an email on either of those apps, it plays the notification twice and I'm not sure why. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm on Oreo.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I have both Outlook and Yahoo on my phone and when I get an email on either of those apps, it plays the notification twice and I'm not sure why. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm on Oreo.

Yes, this happens to me with the Outlook app.

Cudder

Google sent me a Pixel XL despite saying my 6P was getting replaced like for like. I'm buying a case, wanted to know from the long term users:

l8tQHqa.png

Nothing but good things to say about Carved cases.

Kaiken

Banned

l8tQHqa.png

Official cases are terrible and crack easily. Save your money and go 3rd party.

Tattooth

Is anywhere selling the original Pixel for a decent price in the UK? I've seen the XL for £400, but the regular is still £600 everywhere I've seen.

Picked up an XL at £400 to replace my Nexus 4 the other day. Have to admit if the digitiser hadn't have gone I'd still be using the old mofo but the N4's camera and battery were never great so at least in that respect it's a massive upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom