• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel Phone info round up thread of Made By Google on October 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
So Google really is going all in with this thing, very much unlike Nexus. #madebygoogle will be the big headline this time around.

Also, this was found in NYC this morning.

Saw one of these up by the Christopher Street-Sheridan Square Station in the west village last night.

Sami+

After iPhone removing the headphone jack and Note 7's exploding, I looked to this as my next phone but man these leaks are disappointing =/

Yeah my sister just told me we're upgrading this year but I have no idea what to get. I guess Galaxy S7 Edge is the only premium choice...? :/ I want iPhone build quality and just general polish in a phone that has an aux port. Is that impossible?

northead

#madebygoogle*

*HTC

Maybe HTC will be to Google what Foxconn is to Apple. That's why they're marketing it as a "made by Google" phone.
Actual engineering and design is made in house, but the building part goes to HTC (which indeed has more experience regarding scale and whatnot).

This is obviously speculation at this point; hopefully Goog will shed some light on it come October 4.

effzee

I currently have a S5 and will be looking to upgrade soon but want to stay on android.

What is the best option? I don't get some of the gripes mentioned here. What's lacking in this phone thay other flagship android phones have?

Will this be a better option to the S7?

I currently have a S5 and will be looking to upgrade soon but want to stay on android.

What is the best option? I don't get some of the gripes mentioned here. What's lacking in this phone thay other flagship android phones have?

No dual speakers -- 6P had it.
Not water resistant -- other flagship phones have it.
Slightly updated 6P camera sensor -- real-world comparisons pending, but don't expect leaps over last year's camera.
Based on latest rumors, 32GB small-sized Pixel is potentially $250 more expensive than the 5X at launch, and the XL is likely $200 more than the 6P.

The S7 will probably have a better camera. Samsung really kills it with that every iteration, and Google's cameras in the NExus line up are fine but not best in class. For years, Google has marketed the Nexus line as a flagship-quality phone but a couple hundred dollars cheaper than Samsung or Apple, but if the price is comparable then that may be drop some the price leverage that Nexus devices had.

For me, I'll be upgrading from a Nexus 6 to this device because I'm on Google Fi.

muteki

Lack of subsidized iPhone prices has me looking at Android this year. I have a 6+ that is running fine and I'm in no particular hurry but am interested to see what comes of this.

mattp

if google really wants to compete with apple and samsung (especially at those high prices) they need deals with all the carriers

northead

Google's never been even remotely close to this aggressive in terms of marketing. Like, holy hell.

eTOiJvc.jpg

Fhls8xi.jpg

Google's never been even remotely close to this aggressive in terms of marketing. Like, holy hell.

Maybe this is why it's so expensive. They are marketing like crazy. Something like Beats, where they are $300 because they have to make up the marketing budget.

DERF

I just won't pay 650$ for a phone and I was wanting to upgrade from my galaxy s5, now I just don't know what to do. Perhaps the oneplus 3 instead.

northead

Yeah, even here in Germany o_O
Insane! Added these to my post. Thank you :)
Wonder if Fi subscribers could get a discount?

Because if not, I'm passing with everyone else at $650.

Chances are there will be ways to buy it not shelling out $650 right away.

WTF is up with these terrible ads? This communicates nothing to the average person.

I actually believe they're quite simple and telling. The Google logo is there, and so is a date. It also doesn't take a genius to see that the outlined figure is a smartphone's, but even if you weren't, the fact that something "#madebygoogle" is coming October 4 is all they really want to advertise at this point. Then we will likely see ads for the Pixel phones pretty much everywhere.

No dual speakers -- 6P had it.
Not water resistant -- other flagship phones have it.
Slightly updated 6P camera sensor -- real-world comparisons pending, but don't expect leaps over last year's camera.
Based on latest rumors, 32GB small-sized Pixel is potentially $250 more expensive than the 5X at launch, and the XL is likely $200 more than the 6P.

Wait, is this confirmed? I'm interested in seeing how google's efforts pan out(stock android+unlockable bootloader <3), but that would be pretty damn bad. Especially if they're expecting to get flagship-level commas.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
if google really wants to compete with apple and samsung (especially at those high prices) they need deals with all the carriers
Nexus 6 was and it bombed, too.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Watching the info leak and come out for these phones is like watching the slowest car crash I've ever seen. I heard about the codenames and put off my new phone search to wait for these, now it seems like a big old waste of time. I get more and more disappointed every time. But at this point I might as well wait for the finished product and see what the final truth is.

I don't get the "Made By Google" slogan.

It's obviously "Designed by Google, made by Foxconn", why are they twisting the message.

I currently have an S5 and was looking to get this phone when it drops. I have AT&T do I just buy the phone and pop my sim card in? I'm not familiar with the process with phones not sold through the carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom