• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google release teaser video for GDC 2019

mcjmetroid

Should be an interesting next generation for sure. With the rumours of Sega being involved I'm quite excited for this announcement

Athena~

Banned
Damn Sony better be more consumer friendly again, as MS, Nintendo, and now Google are aiming at its throat.

Solo Act

That was a good teaser trailer; really excited to see what they put out there. After all, this is Google we're talking about. This isn't some joke thing like that Project Cars console or Ouya. This is one of the wealthiest technology companies in the world seemingly ready to do something with video games. I'm excited to see what they have in store.

McHuj

Kind of curious, but from the point of view that it will increase competition.

I'm not really interested in a google product though, especially if it's a streaming device.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Are all those shots of different video games they are developing? Interesting, If its a streaming device, not that interested.

Meowzers

Would be great if it was more of a traditional console.

Streaming is fine with me even though I don't have the fastest connection. It is reliable though.

Now surely you'd have to say after this that Microsoft have to announce Xbox 2 at E3 to take some thunder away from Google. If it gains thunder then it all get very exciting.

Meowzers

I hope it is a console. They could just release a controller and it wouldn't feel the same. I still love opening up brand new consoles and sniffing all the new plastic parts.

Tis strange I grant you but I'm just a traditionalist, that supports innovation to an extent.

LukeAJN

I'd take a disk-less, download only console if the price point is on point, but will most likely stay away if it's streaming only unless they somehow blow my mind.

DanielsM

Banned
I'd take a disk-less, download only console if the price point is on point, but will most likely stay away if it's streaming only unless they somehow blow my mind.

Oh it will be disc-less alright, no harddrive, no SSD... welcome to game streaming.

GameCast (Chromecast+) with a goofy controller.

Last edited:

Solo Act

Being a Google product, this console might also be slightly "open". I assume it would run Android, so we may be able to side load emulators and ROMs in addition to the official library.

There's a lot of neat things that could come about with a Google console. They know they're entering a competitive market. They're not just going to drop an XBOX-type system with a few new games and walk away.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Would be hilarious that it would a tradtional platform, perhaps with streaming capabilities like PS Now.

I mean, aside of Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft, only Apple and Google really are in that same league to do such a thing. A Chromecast focused on game streaming would be really disappointing imo.

But the trailer was cool and it definitely showed game related. Perhaps they have been keeping a secret really good under the wraps..

Xenon

I wonder if they are going to build around some sort mascot or theme. I'd go with a dog named Geeglo in a platform game.

TeamGhobad

Banned
If they can get every 3rd party developer to be on their platform they are a legit threat in this industry. if they start creating their own studios with great content...oh boy i would actually consider them.

DanielsM

Banned
If they can get every 3rd party developer to be on their platform they are a legit threat in this industry. if they start creating their own studios with great content...oh boy i would actually consider them.

Why would the big 3rd party publishers/developers pick them to do cloud streaming? (not that I think cloud streaming will ever be anything, but even if it did) The same thing that is happening with launchers would also happen with streaming, they'll just add the streaming client to the launcher and create a few additional clients for other devices.

Everyone is saying how great all this game streaming is, but nobody subscribes.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Why would the big 3rd party publishers/developers pick them to do cloud streaming? (not that I think cloud streaming will ever be anything, but even if it did) The same thing that is happening with launchers would also happen with streaming, they'll just add the streaming client to the launcher and create a few additional clients for other devices.

Everyone is saying how great all this game streaming is, but nobody subscribes.

3rd party devs would want to be on as many platforms as possible. i think google has enough clout for them to at least try it out. there is also the fact that google can PAY for timed exclusives. all im saying this is not soulja boy with another console google is a legit competitor in this space.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm all for a Google console.

The more competition the better. If any one can bring some serious heat it's Google. They could probably destroy Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. I fail to see how anyone can't be excited about this. If you like games then you should be happy about this.

ZoukGalaxy

Just imagine a new world thanks to Google...

Loading*
Loading Ads
Not in special order:
Pay to win ?
Incomplete game ?
Always connected ?
No ownership ?
No game preservation ?
DLC before game release ?
Poor experience for solo ?
Enterprise taking control of your library ?

Solo Act

Not in special order:
Pay to win ?
Incomplete game ?
Always connected ?
No ownership ?
No game preservation ?
DLC before game release ?
Poor experience for solo ?
Enterprise taking control of your library ?

How is that harmful to gaming media? Did you mean to use the word "medium" maybe?

DanielsM

Banned
3rd party devs would want to be on as many platforms as possible. i think google has enough clout for them to at least try it out. there is also the fact that google can PAY for timed exclusives. all im saying this is not soulja boy with another console google is a legit competitor in this space.

Its not a console, its just a thin-client i.e. chromecast with a controller.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Watch Google screw this up and its an android box that runs games from the play store LOL.

TBH I don't know if i will get a PS5/XBOX 2 so if someone did make a cheap ass streaming box with all the big 3rd party AAA games it would be a lot more attractive to me.

BTW I don't have a 4K TV so 4K gaming isn't a big factor for me. I tried PS NOW and found it was pretty good and had no issues playing saints row (ps3 version)

Arkage

Banned
I really don't feel like making google an even bigger monopoly than it is already. I'll pass unless they have some AAA exclusive shit that is bonkers. Also if it's streaming forget it.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Oooo... Cool teaser.

I hope it is a console. They could just release a controller and it wouldn't feel the same. I still love opening up brand new consoles and sniffing all the new plastic parts.

Tis strange I grant you but I'm just a traditionalist, that supports innovation to an extent.
Never gets old :messenger_beaming:

Verdanth

tenor.gif

Top Bottom