Google removes Patrick Moore's information as founder of Greenpeace after calling Global Warming a scam.

Jul 7, 2018

From his own Twitter. Patrick Moore, a founding member of Greenpeace had his status as founder of Greenpeace removed from Google's search engine for calling the latest Global Warming campaign the greatest scam in history.

So, the Google is going full Bolshevik
'The future is known, but the past is constantly changing.'
So this brings the question, if you can't trust the Mass Media and corporate giants to report indisputable historical facts how can you trust them current events with any degree of accuracy?

Oct 21, 2012
He has been calling climate change a scam for years. He is also not a (co-)founder of Greenpeace, though he once did have an important position within the organization.
He is trying to paint the removal of his name from “the founders of Greenpeace” as something it is not in order to maintain his legitimacy (if there is any left, that is). He has been employing similar tactics for quite some time.

Jun 20, 2018
He has been calling climate change a scam for years. He is also not a (co-)founder of Greenpeace, though he once did have an important position within the organization.
He is trying to paint the removal of his name from “the founders of Greenpeace” as something it is not in order to maintain his legitimacy (if there is any left, that is). He has been employing similar tactics for quite some time.
He was listed as co founder for a decade and he only got removed recently by google because he shat on the democrats, green deal and it blew up in the media.
You have to be blind and naive to not see why this is happening now and not at any other time over the last decade.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
In the walls of the cubicle there were three orifices. To the right of the speakwrite, a small pneumatic tube for written messages, to the left, a larger one for newspapers; and in the side wall, within easy reach of Winston's arm, a large oblong slit protected by a wire grating. This last was for the disposal of waste paper. Similar slits existed in thousands or tens of thousands throughout the building, not only in every room but at short intervals in every corridor. For some reason they were nicknamed memory holes. When one knew that any document was due for destruction, or even when one saw a scrap of waste paper lying about, it was an automatic action to lift the flap of the nearest memory hole and drop it in, whereupon it would be whirled away on a current of warm air to the enormous furnaces which were hidden somewhere in the recesses of the building.
:unsure:

Apr 15, 2018
His credentials were only questioned after he criticized a Democrat politician. Why are you okay with a corporation rewriting history?

Dec 3, 2018
This is 100% true and I can testify to it personally. The page on me removed my edits for things I was literally the only person in the universe who was privy to in favor of edits from a stalker who quoted his own website! I apparently was too biased, while this guy who followed me around to dozens of websites to slander me was a neutral third party. I petitioned to have my Wiki entry removed and it was, but I haven’t checked to see if it came back in a decade.

NEVER trust Wikipedia on contemporary news items (their GamerGate article is fucking ridiculous) or on the biographies of living people - and check the sources for everything else.

Apr 15, 2018
This is 100% true and I can testify to it personally. The page on me removed my edits for things I was literally the only person in the universe who was privy to in favor of edits from a stalker who quoted his own website! I apparently was too biased, while this guy who followed me around to dozens of websites to slander me was a neutral third party. I petitioned to have my Wiki entry removed and it was, but I haven’t checked to see if it came back in a decade.

NEVER trust Wikipedia on contemporary news items (their GamerGate article is fucking ridiculous) or on the biographies of living people - and check the sources for everything else.
It's funny they tell people in middle school and high school to be wary of Wikipedia for basic research, but I see grown professional adults cite it all the time.

As long as their bias is confirmed

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de

You're save, it's gone: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=sqorin+hammerfarf&title=Special:Search&go=Go

His removal seems to be a correction of the data. Google seems to have misinterpreted what also Wiki is quoting here: https://web.archive.org/web/2005092...eace.org/international/about/history/founders
where he is listed as "The committee's founders and first members included", which does not specifically say that he was a founder. The current Greenpeace website does not list him as a founder: https://www.greenpeace.org/archive-international/en/about/history/founders/

Now, of course it might be that he was a founder but Greenpeace is omiting him for political reasons (also Wiki and Google), but the citations in the Wiki article are pretty consistent in that he seems to be an early, but not a founding member.

Dec 3, 2018
Jan 4, 2019
The edge of a circle
Sqorin Hammerfarf is a name I use exclusively on NeoGAF. The Wikipedia page was under my real name. There’s still stuff on Wikipedia about me, but now the page with my name is about some Australian entrepreneur, so I guess they finally found someone more notable to write about.
You're lying to us about you're name???

Nazi!!

Reported.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
All I can say is that I understand why physical book sales have been going up steadily...

Corporations need to get their hands off the "truth" and either let us access this information with as little political bias possible, or get broken up into utility oblivion.
This is completely unrelated to the topic. I read a reddit post a few days ago. Or rather a reply to a post. Anyway, it was about a video from CNN with John Mcwhorter on the Don Lemon show discussing Jussie Smollett.

When you use Youtube to try and find it, it doesn't come up when you search youtube for it. Typing in "CNN John Mcworter Jussie Smollett" in youtube doesn't show the video, but using another search engine (Google, Bing) does. I did try it with youtube and Google, I didn't try Bing... never have lol.

I thought it was weird since Google owns Youtube :unsure:

What is the tech reason for this GAF?

Video in question

Last edited:
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Sqorin Hammerfarf is a name I use exclusively on NeoGAF. The Wikipedia page was under my real name. There’s still stuff on Wikipedia about me, but now the page with my name is about some Australian entrepreneur, so I guess they finally found someone more notable to write about.
I assumed as much, it was just a (failed) joke :).

Dec 3, 2018
I assumed as much, it was just a (failed) joke :).
Ah, I see. Missed that completely. The Wikipedia page had an alias for my original nom de plume (which now redirects to the page on my website), so if you searched for my original pen name, you'd have found something. I specifically chose "Sqorin Hammerfarf" because it returned zero results on Google (you'd be surprised how hard that is).

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Ah, I see. Missed that completely. The Wikipedia page had an alias for my original nom de plume (which now redirects to the page on my website), so if you searched for my original pen name, you'd have found something. I specifically chose "Sqorin Hammerfarf" because it returned zero results on Google (you'd be surprised how hard that is).
You have to go the other way around. Choose a nickname that leads to a ton of results that obviously unrelated to you. Google "Yoshi" and have fun finding out which of those many Yoshis I am :D.

But since I always wanted to know: Other than to change your gender (which appears to be somewhat important for some genres, like science-fiction, romance or crime)why write under a pen name - especiall considering it does not hide your identity very well in most cases anyway?

Dec 3, 2018
You have to go the other way around. Choose a nickname that leads to a ton of results that obviously unrelated to you. Google "Yoshi" and have fun finding out which of those many Yoshis I am :D.
Yeah, but then you have to deal with the crushing disappointment of knowing that of all the other Yoshis out there, you aren't the best one...

But since I always wanted to know: Other than to change your gender (which appears to be somewhat important for some genres, like science-fiction, romance or crime)why write under a pen name - especiall considering it does not hide your identity very well in most cases anyway?
It's not so much about hiding your identity (though it can be used for that, and I've used it for that), but it is more about creating a brand. Any time you make a creative work, the creator becomes a figurehead for that work. A lot of people have trouble separating the art from the artist so if you say something like "I'm pretty sure the Civil War wasn't about slavery", people will start calling for your art to be banned, even when it has nothing to do with that particular opinion (why take the chance, right?). I learned far too late that, as a creator, your brand is as important as your creation.

It also allows you to create multiple brands even. It has always been a hang up of mine that I never be a one hit wonder. If I can do one thing in a noteworthy fashion, by golly, I'll do two things. And if I can do two things, then I should do three things. So, I like to branch out into multiple brands, because I don't like the baggage following me, and sometimes, things don't really relate well with each other. If, for example, I wrote erotic equine poetry, I might not want that to be associated with my selection of children's book with songs about potty training. Or maybe I do. Point is, I get to make that choice.

Since NeoGAF is unrelated to the other stuff I do, I use a different brand. You know what Sqorin Hammerfarf does and it isn't what XYZ does, so if you ever discover anything by XYZ, you don't go, "Oh, that's Sqorin Hammerfarf. He has opinions on things. Yikes." It's not that I'm hiding it, it's just that it is easier for people to separate the two personas in their head.

Apr 15, 2018
This is completely unrelated to the topic. I read a reddit post a few days ago. Or rather a reply to a post. Anyway, it was about a video from CNN with John Mcwhorter on the Don Lemon show discussing Jussie Smollett.

When you use Youtube to try and find it, it doesn't come up when you search youtube for it. Typing in "CNN John Mcworter Jussie Smollett" in youtube doesn't show the video, but using another search engine (Google, Bing) does. I did try it with youtube and Google, I didn't try Bing... never have lol.

I thought it was weird since Google owns Youtube :unsure:

What is the tech reason for this GAF?

Video in question
If I had to guess the video had little to no engagement according to the algorithm, and thus was pushed down the search array. Google and Bing on the other hand their API may be weighted toward string interpretation more, so they would find the content regardless of engagement.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018
If I had to guess the video had little to no engagement according to the algorithm, and thus was pushed down the search array. Google and Bing on the other hand their API may be weighted toward string interpretation more, so they would find the content regardless of engagement.
Google has actively been censoring searches for some time now. Youtube will actively refuse to serve conspiracy videos and Google will almost always give you a Snopes article disproving it if you search for anything “alt-right”. Under no circumstances could this behavior be considred algorithmic in nature, since if you slightly change the wording (like misspelling a word), you can usually get what you want as the first result returned.