• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Says You Can Now Try Out Bard, Its ChatGPT Rival in the US and UK.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/google-says-you-can-now-try-out-bard-its-chatgpt-rival/
The search giant rolls out the AI chatbot, starting with people in the US and UK.

Google on Tuesday said it's opening up access to Bard, the search giant's own AI-powered chatbot that's a rival to services released by Microsoft and OpenAI. The company is starting with people in the US and UK, who can go to the Bard site to join a waitlist.

"We've learned a lot so far by testing Bard, and the next critical step in improving it is to get feedback from more people," wrote Google's Sissie Hsiao and Eli Collins in a blog post.

Google announced Bard last month after the company reportedly went into "code red" following the release of OpenAI's ChatGPT late last year. ChatGPT captured imaginations with its ability to give humanlike answers to just about any question, from writing oddly specific poems to producing convincing cover letters for social media managers.

By January, ChatGPT was estimated to have reached 100 million active users, making it the fastest-growing web platform ever. That led to a rush of companies introducing their own AI products, including Microsoft's new Bing search and a "copilot" tool in Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as AI features for Google's Workspace tools including Gmail and Docs.

After it unveiled Bard, Google got called out when the AI chatbot served up inaccurate information about the James Webb Space Telescope during a demonstration meant to show off the tool's abilities. On Tuesday, Google stressed that Bard is still an experiment and noted that the AI tool won't "always get things right."

The tool introduces itself as a "creative and helpful collaborator," and offers suggestions to get started, such as "draft a packing list for a camping trip" or "how to get started writing a novel." In smaller print on the Bard site, Google says the AI chatbot may display "inaccurate or offensive information" that doesn't reflect the search giant's values.
Try Bard here, https://blog.google/technology/ai/try-bard/

Google is trying it's hand in the current AI bandwagon. Apparently according to the article they botched the demonstration so I'm wondering if the current build is improved or not.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Kung Fu Reaction GIF

mortal

Gold Member
Look I know all these AI will collect my data.
But at least the other ones aren't from a company whose entire business model primarily revolves around selling my data to advertisers.
Tbh I'm somewhat disappointed that Microsoft managed to beat Google to the punch investing in ChatGPT.
Google Assistant is arguably the best one on the market imo and would've been made even better with the R&D of OpenAI.
Google's sheer data access + ChatGPT would've been next level.

Doczu

Ok, so let's place bets

When will it drop the N word?
When will users make the bot sexist?
When will it say Hitler did nothing wrong?
When will Google takenit down for "maintenance"?

JCK75

I asked it if he can create, it said of course I can... I asked it to make me a model in blender 3d and it says.. I can but I can't.
b6S5uZw.png

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
On second thought:
It might not be historically accurate, but it's good that it reflects what our world actually looks like and strives to be as diverse and inclusive as possible.
Bro did you seriously drop that shit in here then circle back and tell us it's a good thing?

My GAF account is soooo not gonna survive the 2024 election season. I'm gonna get jebaited so hard. (jebaited is still a cool thing to say right fellow kids?)

On second thought:
It might not be historically accurate, but it's good that it reflects what our world actually looks like and strives to be as diverse and inclusive as possible.
Or, they made the same mistake MS made with their AI image creator, but in the exact opposite manner.

It will be corrected and people will move on to find new outrage clickbait.

Last edited:

thefool

Google apologizes after new Gemini AI refuses to show pictures, achievements of White people

This should surprise no one, these big companies are literally Dr. Evil-tier at this point, unabashedly racist and propagandist, a fake news global machine.
Advanced machine learning future is open-sourced, decentralized and without bias. Resistance against this derives from the threat it will make software companies and big tech obsolete, and governments will be unable to weaponize it.
Hopefully we will finally be free of their shackles and democratize technology.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Oh man, all the examples I've seen of this is so damn bad and just proves how far ahead Open AI is compared to it.

Google has been getting shittier and shittier. From, purposely not giving you the search results you want in Google search, to now incorporating DEI into their AI.

SJRB

Gold Member
It literally injects words like “diverse” and “representation” into prompts even when you don’t use those terms and it refuses to drop this injection even when you tell it to.

> be Google
> spend billions on language models
> hire D&I people to lobotomise your model
> congrats, your billion dollar algorithm is now retarded

Raonak

Banned
I love the diversity on display, but the information it produces is pretty error prone.

But i do prefer using gemini over chat gpt for the UI

Top Bottom