• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia games will cost the same as other consoles despite ownership concerns

CyberPanda

Banned
Google Stadia is an upcoming game subscription service which requires a paid subscription at launch as well as separate game purchases. Considering that there is no physical version you can own, or even a download, gamers naturally assumed that Stadia purchases would cost less. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Eurogamer recently caught up with Stadia head Phil Harrison who said games will cost the same as they do on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. He even questioned why they would be cheaper, ignoring the question of ownership. The following excerpt details the interaction.
'I don't know why it would be cheaper,' Harrison replied when Eurogamer asked. So, how does Stadia justify charging full-price for a video game you can only stream? By making it available to play on any screen, Harrison said. 'The value you get from the game on Stadia means you can play it on any screen in your life,' he said. 'I think that is going to be valuable to players... In theory, the Stadia version of a game is going to be at the highest possible quality of innovation and sophistication on the game engine side.
It's unclear if Stadia versions of games will be better because of factors like input lag, network lag, video quality, video artifacts, and more. A recent comparison between early versions of Microsoft's xCloud and Stadia revealed that Stadia exhibited significantly more input lag. However, a final comparison when both launch should offer a definitive answer.

Did you expect Stadia games to be priced less? Let us know. It's unclear if the $10 a month "Stadia Pro" subscription will offer any new games at launch aside from Des

Are you so shocked as to why Harrison see's nothing wrong here? Let me provide some context for something he didn't grow out of. While Phil learned and grew with Xbox One's development Harrison departed the company with the same ideology behind the original Xbox One vision.

He hasn't changed and he's taking his dogshit ideas to Stadia.

dims

CyberPanda

Banned
Are you so shocked as to why Harrison see's nothing wrong here? Let me provide some context for something he didn't grow out of. While Phil learned and grew with Xbox One's development Harrison departed the company with the same ideology behind the original Xbox One vision.

dims
Phil Harrison is sabotaging himself over and over. It's weird.

Tumle

dims
Oh it goes further back than that... remember the PS3?

It was clear at reveal you have to buy the games like you do to consoles...

Yes, but not at full price. I don't see what the possible value proposition is here. What happens when Google dumps Stadia in two years? Everything you "bought" will be gone. I think some people would be willing to give it a go if the games were 40% - 50% cheaper or something. Unless Google is REALLY going to beef up the games included with the sub ala Game Pass, I don't see how this is going to work - sub for full quality required AND full priced games that you don't own. It's going to be a tough sell.

Armorian

Banned
Console - you pay for:

- console (once)
- electricty
- internet connection (edit: optional if going physical only)
- tv/monitor
- games (wich you own and can resell)

Stadia - you pay for:

- electricity (unsless mobile only and steal charge power from public)
- internet connection
- tv/monitor (unless mobile only)
- monthly pay
- full priced games which you don't own and can't resell

Am I correct?

This thing is a joke, I hope it fucking tanks.

Last edited:

DerFuggler

Unless Google fiber has rolled out in your neighborhood and you have their unlimited data plan, Stadia will burn through your monthly data cap in a week or two. Even then, it would have to perform flawlessly to keep anyone interested. It's a non-starter with a very, very small target market with seemingly no advantage.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, a monthly price to play, you still have to buy full price games, and laggy blurred games at that...?

And people are still saying this will work?

Yeah... k...
It's actually a free service so of course the games need to be paid for. The service is paid if you want more than 1080p/60fps stream, ie a 4K stream (and then you get benefits like free games and discounts similar to what you get when you pay console sub fees, I'm sure these offers will increase as time goes on, they have old games to give away, etc). The benefit is that one can do it on any (within reason and compatibility) crappy device rather than need a gaming PC/console. If you don't think there's a market for that just because you or I aren't part of such a market (I could see myself using this for a game or two inbetween upgrades, like I could have used it to play Witcher 2 back in the day and postpone my upgrade a little bit rather than suffer horrible performance or upgrade sooner just for one game or a few) I think you'll be surprised (eventually, when a service like this actually functions, at least in parts of the world that don't have shit internet service/data caps, my near 3rd world country doesn't have caps either so I think it will happen in the US too at some point). Some people already pay to stream a beast PC to their home with services like shadow which don't offer free software on top or other tangible bonuses either (you log in to your own Steam or whatever services you use in that case). It's a different even more niche scenario I suppose but still. This sort of thing has a market. I don't see the ownership concerns any more than they exist for download-and-play services. When they're gone, given most games have DRM, so are your games for the most part. Stadia gives similar enough terms, play your game as much as you want, as long as it exists, never getting locked out as long as you're online. Obviously without an offline mode.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

So let me get this straight...

1. $10 a month so I can potentially stream at 4K, 60 frames and surround sound
2. Reknown latency
3. Can't even play on all supported device like the claim since I'm an android user

And now you have the audacity to tell me I gotta pay full price for games I won't ever truly own?

STOP SMOKING BIG DOPE, PHILLIP! FUCK OUTTA HERE MEATBALL!

Here is the thing with streaming games;
1. It offers an inferior gaming experience than traditional gaming
So people assumed that it must be cheaper, right?

Except...

2. It costs the streaming service much more money to run it than normal traditional games.
So it is insane to expect discounts from your stream games, when the platform owner litterally had to spend money every time you log in.

yes, Streaming is inferor to running locally. But being inferior does not mean Cheap. A car made up of solid gold would be a crappy care that can't run very well, but that doesn't make the car cheap to buy.

Game Streaming is a lot of things, but it CAN'T be a budget option. There was no universe where game streaming was ever economical compared to local gaming.

Top Bottom