• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia has one of the WORST looking 'Brand Logos' I've ever seen! (Star Trek/Avatar FanFiction Mashup ITT!)

Symbol.0.png

Imagine having billions of dollars at your disposal and paying someone to do this for you.

Not only is the name "Stadia" unappealing and bland, but the logo is something straight out of a high school art student's portfolio in his sophomore year. In other words, this logo is straight up trash; fu***** amateur hour from Google.

NeoGAF, let me know what you think about the logo.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
S for stream.

It's not a good logo or name, but it's not offensively bad either.

Sutanreyu

I had the opposite opinion when I saw the reveal... I think it's a nice logo -- the name is alright, it works for what they're trying to get across, despite making little sense to the "traditional", "gamer". It looks like a WiFi symbol, which makes sense considering it's a game streaming service over the 'net. It's also a stylized 'S', for Stadia -- an offword coined from 'Stadium' -- a place where games take place for a wide audience.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I don't really dislike the logo, even though I hate the idea of Google branching into core gaming, but I still like this take.

jadedm17

In the sense of something instantly recognizable as a logo, I think it works - It's simple and different.
I think as an icon on your desktop or phone its fine for its purpose.

Blown up like that I will agree it looks sad; Tiny its acceptable.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Everything about the Stadia spells train wreck.

Gqr1DLK.jpg

You honestly don't really need to be a gamer to run a company that sells video games. You just need to bring in people who know what they're doing in that field. Which is why I will give credit for Google bringing in Phill Harison to head up Stadia. He's at least a well known expert in the industry.

20cent

Banned
S for Stadia in a shape of a wireless signal icon. Not terrible but yeah could have been done better. I hate flat design with these colors, too "iOS" circa 2014.

The name sucks though. Stadium for what.. e-sport? Every "gamers" care about e-sport or play for competition?

I felt more offended when I looked up who the hell was Sundar Pichai and seen his yearly salary on wikipedia.

The logo isn't that bad - NeoGaf nerds all go bonkers when a new console get revealed. Everything is either crazy good or "fucking shit"! Name is pretty dumb, but 🤷‍♀️

Saying that, Google is the worst company on Earth - it's been plummeting for the last decade - but hey, I def ain't buying no iPhone.

Last edited:

caffeware

Banned
You honestly don't really need to be a gamer to run a company that sells video games. You just need to bring in people who know what they're doing in that field. Which is why I will give credit for Google bringing in Phill Harison to head up Stadia. He's at least a well known expert in the industry.

I dont think Yamauchi was a gamer.

Jubenhimer

I dont think Yamauchi was a gamer.

This is one good example. Yamauchi never really cared about video games. But he made Nintendo into a powerhouse. Why? Because he brought in unique and talented people who knew what they were doing and let them have at it, which is how it should be. Sure, it's nice if a CEO also genuinely loves games, but this generally isn't, and doesn't have to be the case. You just need to get the right staff who do that.

Last edited:

120v

agreed. it has this cheap mid-90s look and i'm pretty shocked they went with it

but i remember when "Wii" was derided as the dumbest branding ever so i give this sort of stuff a benefit of a doubt

ROMhack

So bad we're all talking about it and looking at it, so it'll be embedded in our minds forever. That swish. The red/orange hue. The staircase-like descent, like waking from a dream...

Pretty sneaky OP. Pretty sneaky.

Last edited:

juliotendo

Symbol.0.png

Imagine having billions of dollars at your disposal and paying someone to do this for you.

Not only is the name "Stadia" unappealing and bland, but the logo is something straight out of a high school art student's portfolio in his sophomore year. In other words, this logo is straight up trash; fu***** amateur hour from Google.

I feel the same way. The name and logo just doesn’t stick for whatever reason.

I remember when “PlayStation” and “XBOX” were revealed it just stuck and worked. Logos just worked.

“Stadia” - I don’t know. I think Google could have done a better job at this, but just my opinion.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It truly is terrible. Both the name and the logo. Name sounds like a secondary education instituition, and the logo looks like antivirus software.

f-secure-logo.png

The name sucks though. Stadium for what.. e-sport? Every "gamers" care about e-sport or play for competition?

Stadia does stand for stadium. Because they are selling you a camera angle to a game. Games that can have every viewer participate. This will be great for multiplayer games.

Cato

Banned
Symbol.0.png

It is not a core service.
It will likely be abandoned and turned down within a few years, as history proves.
WHY would someone spend a lot of time on the logo?

odhiex

First thing came to mine was Why not "Google Stream" ?

It's simple, easy to convey.

You only have one job, designer.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
sure not the best but whatever. it's just a logo.

the original xbox logo sucked. it went from this

Xbox_original_logo_black.png

to this
512px-XBOX_logo_2012.svg.png

original nintendo logo:
Nintendo_-_1889.png

and their next one after that was:
Nintendo_-_1950.png

and it's now:
600px-Nintendo.svg.png

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
It's art, is modern and it's red-ish, nothing says gamerz more than red/black.
How dare you casual phlebs speak ill of greatness.

odhiex

Stream / Stadia... not much a difference. actually Stream sounds boring.

Well, PlayStation VR (PSVR) is a boring name, but it works...most people would not ask you what it is as they probably got it.

Nintendo switch... brilliant.

Ogbert

It’s an awful name.

It suggests two pronunciations; either ‘Staydia’ as they are calling it, or ‘Staddia’.

CeeJay

First thing I thought of when I saw it was this

Specialized-logo-85B2A87B61-seeklogo.com.png

Personally I don't like the name Stadia at all, it's forgettable and doesn't conjure up any gaming imagery in my mind when I hear it.

Don't play Stadia if you're allergic to Stadia..
Side effects includes disorientation, blurry vision, loss of fine motor skills and mental health issues.

Yeah, it's like the CEO picked up the name after drinking 2 glasses of wine at a formal dinner.
(That actually happened at my company.)

Also the name itself sounds like a cheap car.

Like, the Vauxhall Stadia, or some shit.

The logo? Maybe it was designed by a blind person, ya'know, for inclusivity and such.

The ad was also trash. "We can all play". Fuck off.

Google are out to destroy gaming and they know it.

Last edited:

Sutanreyu

Don't play Stadia if you're allergic to Stadia..
Side effects includes disorientation, blurry vision, loss of fine motor skills and mental health issues.

Yeah, it's like the CEO picked up the name after drinking 2 glasses of wine at a formal dinner.
(That actually happened at my company.)

The circumstances in which something is conceived doesn't make the thing itself bad.
There were plenty of people who've stepped away from a work environment, only to come up with a great solution or invent something during a mundane moment.

Last edited:
Maybe I don't understand shit about design, but that logo looks like it was thrown together two minutes before the conference. In Ms paint.

If I could convince myself to warm up to the X of Xbox or the pretzel contortion of the PS logo, I’ll be able to manage with this.

Saber

Gold Member
Staying simple can be a good move. But this one is way too simple and reminds me a bunch of other brand logos.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't know man. It totally tells me "these guys knows the difference between RPG and NPC!"

Everything about the Stadia spells train wreck.

Gqr1DLK.jpg

To be fair I doubt many of the top executives of most gaming companies are big gamers

Staying simple can be a good move. But this one is way too simple and reminds me a banch of other brand logos.

Yep.
Simple isn't bad but this one is also extremely generic so it ends up being too similar to other brands and overall less recognizable

Nymphae

Banned
What is "Stadia" supposed to mean/derived from anyway? Dumb name.

I don't really have a problem with the logo itself (enough to call it "amateur hour trash" anyway - have any of you calling this trash designed a logo? Do you need flashing lights and bezels to keep your brains engaged? The best logos look incredibly simple and like they could have been executed in MS paint quickly) it's clean and conveys an "S", but I don't see how it ties into gaming or streaming exactly. It looks like a logo for a Brush app or some sort of artistic thing, because it's pretty clearly designed to look like a marker stroke.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
What is "Stadia" supposed to mean/derived from anyway? Dumb name.

I haven't seen an official explanation of the name, but I assumed it meant the (rarely used) plural of "stadium," which suggests that the social / youtube streamer aspect of it they emphasized in the presentation is indeed the core concept, making all social streams immediate stadiums where you can jump in at a click.

Top Bottom