• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia is the future of gaming, whether you like it or not - VG 24/7

CyberPanda

Banned
You might think my head is in the clouds, but Google Stadia is the future of video games.

There’s nothing quite like getting a new console – an actual console – and slotting it under your television. I can’t wait to see the final designs for the next PlayStation and Xbox, and I’m certainly going to get them both. The thing is, there are a lot of people who actually hate consoles – and especially wires – taking up the centrepiece of a living room. My partner is one of them.

Industry analysts have been doomsaying about consoles since the dawn of time, but I really do think, in ten years or so, streaming will be the norm, just as it is for television. As internet infrastructure improves and the tech driving streaming services gets better alongside it, more and more people will opt for convenience and tidiness.

When was the last time you bought a physical game disc? Sales of physical games are dwindling, yet digital is on the rise. The reason? People simply want to play their games more quickly. Yes, you might have to go through a lengthy download process, but most discs come with a hefty day one patch these days anyway. If you buy digital, you can often pre-load and play as soon as a game launches, without even leaving your house.

With Stadia, you can buy a game and play it immediately, no downloads. Loading times are short, there’s no noticeable input lag, and the image quality makes it feel like some kind of witchcraft.

There’s also one area where it has a huge advantage over a traditional console: storage. Since there are no downloads, you can have as many games as you want on your account. There’s no need to delete anything to make room. Want to take a screenshot? Tap the screenshot button on the controller and it’s sent immediately to the app on your phone. Like I said, it’s about convenience.

Convenience is the reason mobile gaming is worth almost 50% of the global games market – people want fast, accessible experiences with as little fuss as possible. Yes, hardcore fans will always exist, those who prefer traditional console or PC gaming, but it feels like Stadia and services like it are well placed to bridge the gap when the time comes.

Stadia’s issues at the moment are thus: it’s not viable for a good portion of the world where the internet infrastructure can’t handle it, it’s lacking killer exclusives, and the games are too expensive. The first of those issues will be solved by time and money – perhaps Google could even help there. Exclusives are another time issue, but Google has studios tinkering away behind the scenes already, backed by some of the game industry’s best talent. As for prices, I can see these being looked at as well.

The important thing is that Google is learning on the job while carving out its space in the industry. This soft launch, assuming it sticks with it, is just laying the groundwork for that future, establishing it as the go-to platform while waiting for the world to catch up. You can tell it’s a viable strategy, since it made both Microsoft and Sony reevaluate their plans in the streaming space, with Microsoft launching its impressive xCloud service alongside it, and Sony putting more weight behind PlayStation Now. While the fear has waned since the tepid launch, Sony and Microsoft were terrified of Stadia when it was announced.

Right now, Stadia needs a lot of work. It needs to take another look at its pricing structure, and those killer exclusives can’t come soon enough. Until then, it’s just impressive tech where you can play the games you’ve already played, except you don’t really own them and they cost at least twice as much as anywhere else. Google hasn’t exactly put its best foot forward, but that foot is in the door and the door is a portal to the future of video games.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This is like saying that VG 24/7 is the future of video game journalism.

Luckily, that's most likely not the case.

Zero surprise at who wrote this trainwreck, tho.

The funniest part is that he quotes the rumor about Microsoft and Sony being "terrified" by Stadia and he credits resetera and not the actual article that revealed it (if true). Stay classy, McKeand. This dude doesn't even know the very basics of journalism like giving credit where due.

Of course, anyone who knows the barebones basics or non-crappy journalism also knows that inflammatory crap like "whether you like it or not" in an opinion piece's headline is the lowest of the low.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Nah Stadia ain't the future of shit, streaming in general is and there have been companies like Sony and Psnow pushing tht for years already. Let's stop with all this hyperbolic bs and making it seem like companies tht are coming later in the game are pioneers just because their corporate name tickles some ppls fancy.

Stadia is dead soon enough though so in the future thy won't be the company to point at in a bright light. At least companies like onlive actualky pushed it in the days of inception and will get notoriety as such.

Last edited:

FranXico

Google Stadia is the future of gaming, whether you like it or not

ca92e2de9e9d0791855edf49db86ebdf.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don’t understand why there is such an effort by games media to try to push games streaming on us. What’s in it for them?

it’s almost as if they’re actively cheering for streaming to succeed and have all consumers lose their ownership rights.

Got to get the good graces of those Google AdWords penny clicks!

Knowing this specific "journalist" he's just trying to be contrarian for clicks and false clout.

Yep. He stokes the flames of discord.

Nymphae

Banned
When was the last time you bought a physical game disc?

Last month. Every PS4 game I buy is physical.

Sales of physical games are dwindling, yet digital is on the rise. The reason? People simply want to play their games more quickly. Yes, you might have to go through a lengthy download process, but most discs come with a hefty day one patch these days anyway. If you buy digital, you can often pre-load and play as soon as a game launches, without even leaving your house.

I understand that people are willing to sacrifice content ownership, physical game trading, and the used market for a modicum of convenience. I really enjoy buying used games personally, not looking forward to the all digital future where everything is either purchased brand new or during seasonal sales.

StormCell

Why is the gaming media being so aggressive about this? The "Whether you LIKE IT OR NOT" part is odd right? Like why shove streaming down our throats? What's the upside to forcing gamers to do something it actively doesn't want to do?

They're progressive. Get it?

Who is more likely to gravitate towards a more traditional form of gaming? Generally, older people. People who are, maybe, more conservative.

So, of course we ought to run head long into this thing without any pause for consideration into what all it means!

Endangered08

Neo Member
why not just write an article about how the future of gaming will see the game streamed directly into your cyborg brain. Future is crazy man.

ZywyPL

Banned
Of course it is. And I love the idea of being able to play games straight up from my TV with a simple click of a button or a voice command, without having to take care about the hardware, updating it, waiting for the games to download, install, and patching them. But it's simply not there yet, and won't be for at least next half of the decade.

spawn

I buy digital. When SSD's are in the next playstation and xbox downloading games won't take as long as they currently do with HDD. Stop forcing this streaming things down our throats when the consumers don't want it

OK, i'm going to sperg out here and highlight all the reasons why this is a corporate advertisement, hiding as a fluff piece

You might think my head is in the clouds, but Google Stadia is the future of video games. - According to who?

There’s nothing quite like getting a new console – an actual console – and slotting it under your television. I can’t wait to see the final designs for the next PlayStation and Xbox, and I’m certainly going to get them both. The thing is, there are a lot of people who actually hate consoles Yes, these people are called non-gamers and... – and especially wires -...What about the chromecast wires and Ethernet cable required for Chromecast? – taking up the centrepiece of a living room. My partner is one of them. - Sure, pass the buck on to a 3rd party so that you can't take any responsibility for questions. Classic marketing idea

Industry analysts have been doomsaying about consoles since the dawn of time, but I really do think, in ten years or so - I wonder what people in 98 were saying about social media? streaming will be the norm, just as it is for television. As internet infrastructure improves and the tech driving streaming services gets better alongside it, more and more people will opt for convenience and tidiness. Barnum statement. Nobody is opting for inconvenience

When was the last time you bought a physical game disc? - Hooking people in to agree Sales of physical games are dwindling -The second 'yes' statement yet digital is on the rise. There it is. Three 'yes' statements mean you are now psychologically agreeing to whatever comes next. NLP, Hypnosis and sales technique The reason? People simply want to play their games more quickly. No shit, Sherlock Yes, you might have to go through a lengthy download process, but most discs come with a hefty day one patch these days anyway. - why is the solution streaming and not "release a full, working game on day-one"? because this is advertising speil If you buy digital, you can often pre-load and play as soon as a game launches, without even leaving your house.

With Stadia, you can buy a game and play it immediately -wait for it... no downloads. Loading times are short, - which one is it? Immediately or in a bit? there’s no noticeable input lag - says who? and the image quality makes it feel like some kind of witchcraft. - 1080p?

There’s also one area where it has a huge advantage over a traditional console: storage. Since there are no downloads, you can have as many games as you want on your account. There’s no need to delete anything to make room. Want to take a screenshot? Tap the screenshot button on the controller and it’s sent immediately to the app on your phone. Like I said, it’s about convenience. - so convenient you need two devices to see a screenshot. Yay, progress!

Convenience is the reason mobile gaming is worth almost 50% of the global games marketwhich is super if you're a salesman, which this author is. people want fast, accessible experiences - Who are these 'people'? Using social proof methodology to sell me something is a salesman's trick with as little fuss as possible. - Little fuss is a console where the industry backs that console and traditional way of playing Yes, hardcore fans will always exist, those who prefer traditional console or PC gaming, but it feels like Stadia and services like it are well placed to bridge the gap when the time comes. - Bridge what gap? The gap between mobile schlock and console gaming? A gap where neither console gamers of PC gamers belong?

Stadia’s issues at the moment are thus: it’s not viable for a good portion of the world where the internet infrastructure can’t handle it, it’s lacking killer exclusives, and the games are too expensive. Three 'yes' trick again The first of those issues will be solved by time and money Places where the internet is poor have no money and little time. perhaps Google could even help there - More data centres would be a good idea? Exclusives are another time issue, but - Whenever a 'but' is used in sales spiel, it is meant to negate the previous statement so that you forget what it is, while still agreeing with it. Google has studios tinkering away behind the scenes already, backed by some of the game industry’s best talent. - Excellent, it's a shame they didn't do this before launch. As for prices, I can see these being looked at as well.

The important thing is that Google is learning on the job while carving out its space in the industry. - google aren't learning on the job. They straight up lied about what this product could do.This soft launch, assuming it sticks with it, is just laying the groundwork for that future, establishing it as the go-to platform while waiting for the world to catch up. - unbelievable. Google mis-sold what they could provide to the few customers who wanted it, yet you place the blame on the world catching up? You can tell it’s a viable strategy, since it made both Microsoft and Sony reevaluate their plans in the streaming space, - Cause/effect and a complete fabrication. with Microsoft launching its impressive xCloud service alongside it, and Sony putting more weight behind PlayStation Now. - Google did this? While the fear has waned since the tepid launch, Sony and Microsoft were terrified of Stadia when it was announced. - I wanna see the receipts

Right now, Stadia needs a lot of work. It needs to take another look at its pricing structure, and those killer exclusives can’t come soon enough. - Third time the three 'yes' trick is used, followed by bullshit...Until then, it’s just impressive tech -...bullshit where you can play the games you’ve already played, except you don’t really own them and they cost at least twice as much as anywhere else. Google hasn’t exactly put its best foot forward, - Three yes trick, again. Come on man, mix it up. but that foot is in the door and the door is a portal to the future of video games. - final bullshit money shot

Google working overtime to continue the lies they spread. Go fuck yourself Google.

Last edited:

Sophist

It is, obviously. Like it was obvious that Steam and other online markets were the future of video gaming but there are still people who deny that even to this day.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
OK, i'm going to sperg out here and highlight all the reasons why this is a corporate advertisement, hiding as a fluff piece

Google working overtime to continue the lies they spread. Go fuck yourself Google.

Yeah, you're right. This person had to be paid by Google. Isn't it illegal to not state that though? Because there's no way this person "ACTUALLY" believes the stuff he typed in the article.

What is the track record of claims made about the future of gaming with the punchline "whether you like it or not"? :pie_thinking:

Kinect? DRM-clogged PC ownership? Death of exclusives?

You forgot one.

"Single Player games are DEAD! Nobody wants to spend $60 on a game that only last 20 hours. Fortnite like games is where the future is"

Banned
It is, obviously. Like it was obvious that Steam and other online markets were the future of video gaming but there are still people who deny that even to this day.

it's not. Streaming will become obsolete as hardware that can render high end, movie like graphics becomes cheaper and smaller.

by the end of the decade we will have phones that have enough CPU and GPU power to natively play games that look better than the best games on the market right now.

why do you need streaming at that point?
it will become useless because the only advantage it has, easily accessible high end graphics, will become less and less of a factor.

by the time the mainstream audience has internet connections to stream games reliably and in high quality, the local hardware will be so good and cheap that it will not be needed anynore.

because we will soon reach a point where the GPU and CPU capabilities of PCs and even Consoles will be so good, that the only thing that will hold back the scope and graphical fidelity of games will be the manpower and the budget behind the project, not the hardware it is running on.

at that point, the necessity for streaming will go downhill, as this kind of hardware will become cheaper and cheaper, and even more powerful, year after year.

Last edited:

Sophist

it's not. Streaming will become obsolete as hardware that can render high end, movie like graphics becomes cheaper and smaller.

by the end of the decade we will have phones that have enough CPU and GPU power to natively play games that look better than the best games on the market right now.

why do you need streaming at that point?
it will become useless because the only advantage it has, easily accessible high end graphics, will become less and less of a factor.

by the time the mainstream audience has internet connections to stream games reliably and in high quality, the local hardware will be so good and cheap that it will not be needed anynore.

because we will soon reach a point where the GPU and CPU capabilities of PCs and even Consoles will be so good, that the only thing that will hold back the scope and graphical fidelity of games will be the manpower and the budget behind the project, not the hardware it is running on.

at that point, the necessity for streaming will go downhill.

Streaming is not only about hardware; it is also the most effective way to fight piracy.

Banned
Streaming is not only about hardware; it is also the most effective way to fight piracy.

I am talking from the perspective of the actual consumer.
streaming might be appealing for people wo want high end games on low end hardwar.

but that will be less of a factor as time goes on and super powerful hardware (for todays standards) will get cheaper and chraper, and eclipse the manpower necessary to bring said hardware to its limits.

and at that point streaming will also actually be more inconvenient than playing locally.

which means, consumers will be less and less impressed by it as time goes on. leading to less and less interest

Last edited:
Well...the people who actually believe this shit seem to expect that the next gen cellular network technology is going to save Googles ass.

The thing is that the day, when the latency of networking technologies can be low as well as be widespread enough is SO far in the future, that the cost and size of memory and processing power are also going to change; when Google actually can deliver a good gaming experience at low latency, similar experiences might well be possible to do with mobile devices, and cheaper, than what Google is asking.

Last edited:
This is the kind of shit you would hear from Microsoft way back when the Xbox came out. The only thing Google has is money lots and lots of money and they're going to find out just like Microsoft did that throwing money at shit and at journalist isn't going to solve your problems.

You release a brand new console with no first-party IPs and it's selling below expectations and they wonder why. Now granted most consoles when they release the first party output is poor, but to this day I can remember playing games like MotorStorm, Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, Perfect Dark, Condemned etc.

A year to 2 years from now when you look at Stadia launch is someone going to be able to think of a single game that made them think "That's what I'm getting to Stadia for" the answer is no.

Hell I knew when Phil Harrison was hired on to work for Google on Stadia I knew this thing was going to fucking fail. Everything he touches turns to shit.

I like in the article when they use people changing from buying physical to digital and somehow that leads to streaming games becoming the future of gaming. When the two aren't even connected.

The reason why digital is becoming more popular than physical is because it's more convenient. Unless Stadia can show us how more convenient it is to stream games as opposed to buying a console and downloading the games, streaming games will never be the future.

Input lag, buffering, resolution and framerate drops with games that literally came out a year ago on consoles do not show signs of a promising future in game streaming.

Last edited:
"Tidiness"

Translates to the modern trend of making your house appear as empty as possible, as if no one lives there. Wives everywhere will be helping push this move.

Top Bottom