• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia is the future of gaming, whether you like it or not - VG 24/7

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Streaming is not only about hardware; it is also the most effective way to fight piracy.
Yeah, sure. Current sales are not good enough for them. Denuvo delivers, if you want your precious to be protected, so why the whine? It is all about control and big data. Control about what you see, what you play, how you play and munch through the data to make models about the human side of you, hence better controlling you.

Sybb

Banned
I still don't understand why people pay these sites attention. When a "journalist" says something, people give it tons of attention, not because what he says, but because of his identity. If a normal user here would have said exactly the same thing, his opinions would not be seen as anything more than that - his opinions.

And regarding Stadia, they'll always have to fight the laws of physics. You can't just say it's like Netflix or Spotify, because those don't have active user input. Also, some people actually want ownership.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yeah, it is in the same future as warp gates, which is what you'll need to get around the latency. Thirty generations from now, once they've perfected both technologies my descendants will happily game using them.

Not me, not today, not next week, not next year, probably not even next decade.

Last edited:
I can understand the imperative for journo's to do this. They need to keep their corporate masters happy for the marketing division of the publication.

I do not understand any consumer blind support of Stadia with everything we are learning about it first hand and on the market. Even if you are hopeful, you have to have questions about how it's all being implemented.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Digital games are for idiots.

They cost the same/more as physical, cant sell, trade or give them away.

Stream-only games are the next level of idiotism.

I only buy digital if it is so cheap that it is the same amount as losing from selling physical aka 5-10€.

I pay 20-40€ for most of my games, either wait them to get cheaper or buy used at launch week.

Paying 69.90€ for digital would be madness.

Only solution would be that they stop selling physicals and have digital games to cost 20-30€ at launch, because that is what they are worth of.

thelastword

Banned
This is like saying that VG 24/7 is the future of video game journalism.

Luckily, that's most likely not the case.

Zero surprise at who wrote this trainwreck, tho.

The funniest part is that he quotes the rumor about Microsoft and Sony being "terrified" by Stadia and he credits resetera and not the actual article that revealed it (if true). Stay classy, McKeand. This dude doesn't even know the very basics of journalism like giving credit where due.

Of course, anyone who knows the barebones basics or non-crappy journalism also knows that inflammatory crap like "whether you like it or not" in an opinion piece's headline is the lowest of the low.
That about wraps it up...….

thelastword

Banned
"Whether you like it or not" is the equivalent of the 90's "Put it in your pipe and smoke it"...…..It's only a showpiece line to gain attraction and a reaction, it's an AD....

I don’t understand why there is such an effort by games media to try to push games streaming on us. What’s in it for them?

it’s almost as if they’re actively cheering for streaming to succeed and have all consumers lose their ownership rights.
Money from Google...

Nah. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to own my games and play them natively. Having to pay full retail price to stream old games is probably the worst idea in the gaming industry and that’s saying a lot. They should of at least implemented it like Gamepass or PSNow.

Bryank75

Banned
This is like saying that VG 24/7 is the future of video game journalism.

Luckily, that's most likely not the case.

Zero surprise at who wrote this trainwreck, tho.

The funniest part is that he quotes the rumor about Microsoft and Sony being "terrified" by Stadia and he credits resetera and not the actual article that revealed it (if true). Stay classy, McKeand. This dude doesn't even know the very basics of journalism like giving credit where due.

Of course, anyone who knows the barebones basics or non-crappy journalism also knows that inflammatory crap like "whether you like it or not" in an opinion piece's headline is the lowest of the low.
My man!

M0G

I guess ten years ago it would have been "Mobile is the future of videogames, whether you like it or not." that would even be correct from a certain point of view but that perspective has not affected me one bit, regardless of having an opinion on it. So maybe this dog shit is the new thing to be the future of gaming but I think it'll be a very long time (if ever) before it affects people who don't care for it.

FStubbs

Streaming only has one purpose - to control what you play. Not only to prevent piracy but to force you to continue to pay to game. Every EA sports game could be shut down yearly for example.

There is no consumer benefit to streaming.

Saruhashi

Banned
It's the "whether you like it or not" that get's me.

Who the fuck do they think they are talking to?
Like, if the general audience, the many millions who own a PS4 for example, decides "we like it not" then that's it.

I just don't get these stupid ass sites who seem to just hate people who play videogames.
Or at least they hate people who are opinionated on the subject of videogames.

Clearly Stadia has not been so well received. Everybody knows it is getting a lot of criticism and also some measure of hate.
So the approach is "Gamers hate Stadia therefore we will support Stadia and tell those Gamers they'll just have to like it"?
Stupid. Needlessly aggressive. Pretty pathetic.
People I hate dislike a thing so I must blindly support the thing.

Stadia simply does not have the gaming library to compete.
Next gen will see Sony most likely dropping Spider-Man 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, The Last of Us 2, some other Uncharted game, whatever Kojima does next, God of War sequel...

It's madness to think that these "console wars" have been going along for as long as they have now and people STILL don't fucking get that it the GAMES that make the difference. What do people think drives the sales of Nintendo Switch?

Streaming has potential advantages. If I were being offered a streaming service with a great library of games then I can definitely see the appeal. What hardware am I using though? Just my TV and a controller? Which controller?

Now I play just sitting on the sofa with my console plugged in under my TV and using PS4 or Switch Pro controller depending on what I am playing. Playing on my laptop seems kind of awkward if I think about it. If I am going to play portable then I would prefer a specific gaming device like the Switch or maybe some controller that my phone could be inserted into but my phone screen is too small and a big tablet is too unwieldy so I would want some kind of Switch-esque device. How much will that cost?

Then I have to ask if we will just have one streaming service or will there be many? Why would the like of EA need to be on Stadia when they could just have their own EA streaming service? Ubisoft. Activision Blizzard. Sony. Microsoft. Maybe even Nintendo.

THEN how long before we get games that can only really be played with special proprietary controllers? So the Ubisoft games are designed in such a way that a 60 buck Ubisoft controller is required.

It seems like the big support for Stadia from VG24/7 really comes from a place of doing it just to piss off people who see why it might not be great.

StormCell

Yeah, sure. Current sales are not good enough for them. Denuvo delivers, if you want your precious to be protected, so why the whine? It is all about control and big data. Control about what you see, what you play, how you play and munch through the data to make models about the human side of you, hence better controlling you.

There's a lot of merit to this. I mean, people wonder why Nintendo doesn't just make the entire retro catalog available at once, and that sort of thing. Controlling availability is one aspect to artificially manipulating the market, and there's only so much the market can spend at one time. Hence, publishers would love for older games to just go away when newer content comes to market. I've zero doubt that, if they could get away with it, 2K Sports would just disable last year's basketball game as soon as this year's game released. lol It would cause serious market backlash, of course, but that's the future market we have to be guarded against.

But the eventual side effect to streaming games will be mountains of data. Data for AI training. Data for marketing. Market manipulation. Behavioral studies. It's not my taste, but I'm sure a lot of zoomers won't care, since it will put PS5-level visuals on their smart phones.

Saruhashi

Banned
Hence, publishers would love for older games to just go away when newer content comes to market. I've zero doubt that, if they could get away with it, 2K Sports would just disable last year's basketball game as soon as this year's game released.

This will almost certainly happen.
It is kind of happening to some extent now with games having "seasonal" content.

I think for franchises such as The Division, Destiny and the like you would see the old game just going away when the new one comes out. For the sports franchises for sure this would be a thing.

If EA's Star Wars Battlefront games were streaming service only games I wonder how things would play out.
They would monetize the shit out of those games. More than we can probably even imagine.

Cos suddenly you are not selling X number of units at 60 bucks each. You are selling your game to the streaming service operator in exchange for some flat fee and/or royalty payments. Can't see how shareholders would be pleased with that.

That's just another strange aspect of this "Stadia is the future of gaming" thing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would it really have been so hard to instead write "part of of the future?" I guess then they wouldn't get as many rage clicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sophist

The rising of off-site computing is unavoidable, enjoy your plastic disks, consoles, and desktop PCs one last time. Yoichi Wada had seen it all ten years ago but you refused to listen. Sure that Shinra Corp failed but it was nothing more than a little misstep of what will become the biggest revolution in post-ww2 video gaming.

Bryank75

Banned
The rising of off-site computing is unavoidable, enjoy your plastic disks, consoles, and desktop PCs one last time. Yoichi Wada had seen it all ten years ago but you refused to listen. Sure that Shinra Corp failed but it was nothing more than a little misstep of what will become the biggest revolution in post-ww2 video gaming.
I can't tell... your whole post sounds like some joke that I am not quite in on!
Is it from something?

StormCell

I would say the cloud has risen. It will continue to have its place, but I wonder for how much longer it will continue to grow. Much like mainframe computers were the thing when that much compute required a large space, the cloud has taken hold over a space where businesses were able to shed both upfront capital expenses and fixed continual costs for the cloud. What would happen if comparable computing could be had for a fraction of the cost and power consumption? You would see businesses moving back to on-premise solutions.

The cloud is a rather big polluter compared to our physical media of yesteryear. Therefore, the moment we can bring computers back home again, I think you will see the cloud begin to dissipate.

Bryank75

Banned
I would say the cloud has risen. It will continue to have its place, but I wonder for how much longer it will continue to grow. Much like mainframe computers were the thing when that much compute required a large space, the cloud has taken hold over a space where businesses were able to shed both upfront capital expenses and fixed continual costs for the cloud. What would happen if comparable computing could be had for a fraction of the cost and power consumption? You would see businesses moving back to on-premise solutions.

The cloud is a rather big polluter compared to our physical media of yesteryear. Therefore, the moment we can bring computers back home again, I think you will see the cloud begin to dissipate.
StormCell speaks much wisdom, as my ancestors used to say 'even the clouds meet mountains that stand taller than them and must mourn their limitations' that day we pass the peace-pipe many times!

Sophist

I can't tell... your whole post sounds like some joke that I am not quite in on!
Is it from something?

Not a joke at all. Wada envisioned that the industry will embrace cloud gaming.

081f3bd325b6b166fe0b32298e215c995f642847.jpg

December 2009 - https://www.mcvuk.com/wadas-vision/
”In 10 years time what we traditionally call ‘console games’ simply won’t exist,” he explains. Somewhere around 2005 the console manufacturers’ strategy shifted. In the past the platform was hardware, but that switched to the network. A time will come when the hardware isn’t even needed any more.”

We are 10 years later now and what is happening? Stadia, Shadow, xcloud, psnow, ...
Back in 2014, Wada launched Shinra Technologies but it was too soon and turned into a failure. Note that at the time, Square partnered with ... Google!
Wada was a pioneer and Shinra Tech a precursor.

Cloud has definitively taken over in enterprise but is still nowhere when it come to desktop and gaming.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Complaining about streaming speed is expected when it lags all the time, I like that fact that streaming is mainstream now but am upset the Stadia launch didn't go so well.

hunthunt

Banned
More like the future crap at what Google fails misserably and abbandons forever just like their fucking useless glasses and their million failed services.

FStubbs

I don't think the cloud is ever going anywhere from a business perspective. Very few companies are going to want to staff up and build out their own data centers again when the cloud is cheaper and easier.

Gaming is a different industry and the so-called gaming media has never accepted it. Atari's roots were in carnivals. Sega (SErvice GAmes) did pinball machines for the military. Nintendo still makes playing cards. The point is what works for this industry is different than what works for other industries. And streaming won't get rid of dedicated gaming hardware even if it worked perfectly, because smart phones and PCs have not.

The moment the game industry tries to force streaming on consumers is the moment it crashes. As Stadia sales, On Live sales, and others have shown.

wolywood

Not surprised to see this thread full of the usual old men yelling at clouds about how streaming is the devil incarnate and you'll have to pry physical media from their cold dead hands...right after they finish tweeting about their Spotify Wrapped playlists

Cloud has definitively taken over in enterprise but is still nowhere when it come to desktop and gaming.
Obviously there are many advantages for the Cloud in Enterprise. For one, you can control what your employees can have access to while on their work computers. This leads to silly situations where I could not access rival company's websites without pulling out my phone and access it that way, while at work. Even though I had to do it as a part of my job. A business would want to control every computer and know what gets accessed where. But trying to spread that to private homes is where the advantage turns into disadvantages.

BadSector

Banned
"The problem is choice." (Matrix) Likewise, the problem with Google's dead-on-arrival trainwreck is that gaming is about "liking it or not." People don't like Google Stadia, hence its utter failure. You can't force a product down on people's throat when they don't want it. Add that the crap lineup, the lies about graphical qualities and resolution at the start, the fact how Google absolutely ignores data cap and crap Internet in different countries and we have a total loser here.

Google Stadia is the future of jackshit.

Last edited:

BadSector

Banned
Oh, and by the way: Google Stadia is as much the future of gaming, as their other highly successful product: Google Plus was the future of social media, LMAO.

Streaming has a place in the future as a supplementary way of enjoying games you otherwise couldn't. Streaming as way of entirely replacing your pc or games console seems very unlikely given the obvious drawbacks like latency and failure to provide compelling experiences that local hardware can't provide.

DESTROYA

It'll happen at some point.

Look what happened years back? Discs forever. Digital never. And look how that turned out.
???
A lot of people still buy disc games, hell I know people that will only buy games if they are on some sort of physical format and never buy digital.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Flying cars is the future whether you like it or not. Look.... I love to drive on the road but there's some people who would prefer to fly in cars, my partner is one of them.

Nothing gives me more satisfaction than filling up my gas tank and cruising along roads but the truth is that most people in our society would rather be in flying cars.

You can fight this as much as you want but flying cars is our future. And as long as I'm speculating about shit that hasn't happened yet there's no way you can call me wrong.

Chittagong

Gold Member
After trying Stadia it is totally clear to me that cloud gaming* is the future. At my 25ms latency it’s already workable even if not fit for competitive gaming.

The thing most people don’t yet realise is that 5G will bring about 5ms latencies. The latency in 5G is so low that eye surgeons can operate live patients with robots remotely.

5G will squeeze the latency of cloud gaming to a point where it’s less than TV input lag. With integrated native streaming apps on 5G TVs the cloud latency is less than the HDMI jack latency.

At that point people will swallow the inconveniences of cloud gaming - not being able to play on airplanes, countryside, trains, low coverage areas - in exchange for being able to skip the €300 purchase.

*) may not be Google however

Last edited:

nowhat

The thing most people don’t yet realise is that 5G will bring about 5ms latencies. The latency in 5G is so low that eye surgeons can operate live patients with robots remotely.
Will 5G get rid of macroblocking/other compression artifacts? No? Then I'll gladly keep living in the past.

Last edited:
Well, I'm no Nostradumbass, but Stadia isn't the future. Give it 40 more years and they can talk about streaming videogames and all that shit.

Katsura

After trying Stadia it is totally clear to me that cloud gaming* is the future. At my 25ms latency it’s already workable even if not fit for competitive gaming.

5G will squeeze the latency of cloud gaming to a point where it’s less than TV input lag. With integrated native streaming apps on 5G TVs the cloud latency is less than the HDMI jack latency.

At that point people will swallow the inconveniences of cloud gaming - not being able to play on airplanes, countryside, trains, low coverage areas - in exchange for being able to skip the €300 purchase.

*) may not be Google however
But will it bring rock solid 5ms latency? I doubt it. Even on a fibre connection, my latency still fluctuates. I can't imagine it wouldn't be worse using airwaves. As long as it's not stable 5ms latency, even casual gaming will suffer

Stadia is the new red ring of death and new name for stds. The difference with rrod is that at some point before breaking it worked and didnt have input delay. Plus stadia commercials fucking suck the llamas ass ruining my yoytube experience.

Top Bottom