• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia is the future of gaming, whether you like it or not - VG 24/7

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's not the future unless image quality and latency issues are fixed for most people. Also depends on how you define "future".

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
It's not the future unless image quality and latency issues are fixed for most people. Also depends on how you define "future".

So, humans have to figure how to change the Laws of the Universe. Personally, I think there are other issues i.e. ownership and costs as well.

To me "streaming" is the past, an inferior product which in the long run will have to cost more money than native playing.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So, humans have to figure how to change the Laws of the Universe. Personally, I think there are other issues i.e. ownership and costs as well.

To me "streaming" is the past, an inferior product which in the long run will have to cost more money than native playing.

To me, streaming should be an addition for most gamers and NOT a replacement. Once that's figured out (MS seems to understand this best at the moment), that company or companies will make tens of millions of dollars per month on subs.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
To me, streaming should be an addition for most gamers and NOT a replacement. Once that's figured out (MS seems to understand this best at the moment), that company or companies will make tens of millions of dollars per month on subs.

Gamepass subs aren’t streaming though. Until someone invents an ansible which eliminates lag and artifacts, streaming can get fucked

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Digital games are for idiots.

They cost the same/more as physical, cant sell, trade or give them away.

Stream-only games are the next level of idiotism.

I only buy digital if it is so cheap that it is the same amount as losing from selling physical aka 5-10€.

I pay 20-40€ for most of my games, either wait them to get cheaper or buy used at launch week.

Paying 69.90€ for digital would be madness.

Only solution would be that they stop selling physicals and have digital games to cost 20-30€ at launch, because that is what they are worth of.
Lot of fucking idiots use steam then.
Dumdum

Saruhashi

Banned
I don’t understand why there is such an effort by games media to try to push games streaming on us. What’s in it for them?

it’s almost as if they’re actively cheering for streaming to succeed and have all consumers lose their ownership rights.

Probably some level of control and influence.

A lot of "drama" surrounding games these days is really pushed by gaming media and they seem to quite fancy themselves as activists with the power to influence publishers and developers.

When you look at censorship controversies especially you will see that some people get around it by importing games from overseas or by just using mods. Similarly some players might just refuse to update their game to the latest version etc.

If games are all streamed in the future though then the players are going to lose the ability to do things like that.

There are also aspects such as the gaming media war on "toxic gamers".
Imagine a situation where these clowns can put pressure on platforms to ban players for specific things.
Then you get a ban and lose all access to your games. Possibly losing access to gaming entirely.

Streaming opens up a lot of potential abuses and it doesn't take much to imagine that dishonest actors might try to take advantage of that.

What if they are even able to influence which games appear on the storefront etc?

mckmas8808

How can Reggie (former President of Nintendo of all places) say Streaming is "THE" future of video games? Does he believe Nintendo is going streaming only on their next gaming system?

Saruhashi

Banned
How can Reggie (former President of Nintendo of all places) say Streaming is "THE" future of video games? Does he believe Nintendo is going streaming only on their next gaming system?

I would predict that any Nintendo moves into streaming would still tie Nintendo's exclusive games to some kind of special controller and almost certainly they would be confined to a special Nintendo app/subscription.

There would probably be some "stepping stone" console before we see full on streaming though.

I can imagine a Switch 2 that plays Nintendo exclusives from hardware but that also streams the main AAA releases.

It really depends on exactly how streaming takes off.
If it's the end of consoles then for sure each publisher will be looking to provide their own service.
But I imagine you would still have Nintendo selling their own special tablet or something that you can use for your gaming.

One of the selling points of Stadia is that idea that it can be played on any screen but players still have to buy those screens from someone.
They might even be a bit ahead of the curve with Switch in that case.

No way Playstation and XBox are going to quietly shuffle off as people buy a controller and a subscription to Stadia.
They will come up with something.

mckmas8808

I would predict that any Nintendo moves into streaming would still tie Nintendo's exclusive games to some kind of special controller and almost certainly they would be confined to a special Nintendo app/subscription.

There would probably be some "stepping stone" console before we see full on streaming though.

I can imagine a Switch 2 that plays Nintendo exclusives from hardware but that also streams the main AAA releases.

It really depends on exactly how streaming takes off.
If it's the end of consoles then for sure each publisher will be looking to provide their own service.
But I imagine you would still have Nintendo selling their own special tablet or something that you can use for your gaming.

One of the selling points of Stadia is that idea that it can be played on any screen but players still have to buy those screens from someone.
They might even be a bit ahead of the curve with Switch in that case.

No way Playstation and XBox are going to quietly shuffle off as people buy a controller and a subscription to Stadia.
They will come up with something.

My problem with the bolded is why does there need to be a "Full on Streaming" console? No way VR will work with streaming, so what do video game companies think will happen with PSVR and PCVR? Are we supposed to just forget the fun we had with VR games?

mcjmetroid

Like streaming is maybe I can accept that in like 10 years time but Stadia specficially?
Good lord no, Google have exposed themselves to be inexperienced and unfit for the gaming industry.
I will give them 2 years MAX before they fold up this service.

Ten_Fold

Only time I buy digital is DLC or small indie games. I like to trade in games, so unless they come up with a way to sell my games I'm not fully digital. I do think streaming will be big. Maybe as big as physical in the next 10 years.

dDoc

Do you guys reckon 5G can resolve the latency/data caps issues?

Even so I sincerely hope that streaming doesnt become the only option. Imagine the level of control pubs will have, the MTX will sky rocket even more than now. Ownership goes out the window, can get banned, if internet goes down cant play your games, cant trade/lend games. And the amount of subs one would need to pay for if one wants to access more than one pub's portfolio.

Way too many negatives vs the upsides, like not having wires?! Most things are wireless now that previously werent. Not going out to buy the physical game from a shop? Can get it delivered to your door via post.

If streaming really becomes the only option in the future maybe we may consider going out into the sun a bit more (lost so much time indoors due to games :p) and read a book. Screw you streaming future.

Dipsed

You might think my head is in the clouds, but Google Stadia is the future of video games.

There’s nothing quite like getting a new console – an actual console – and slotting it under your television. I can’t wait to see the final designs for the next PlayStation and Xbox, and I’m certainly going to get them both. The thing is, there are a lot of people who actually hate consoles – and especially wires – taking up the centrepiece of a living room. My partner is one of them.

Industry analysts have been doomsaying about consoles since the dawn of time, but I really do think, in ten years or so, streaming will be the norm, just as it is for television. As internet infrastructure improves and the tech driving streaming services gets better alongside it, more and more people will opt for convenience and tidiness.

When was the last time you bought a physical game disc? Sales of physical games are dwindling, yet digital is on the rise. The reason? People simply want to play their games more quickly. Yes, you might have to go through a lengthy download process, but most discs come with a hefty day one patch these days anyway. If you buy digital, you can often pre-load and play as soon as a game launches, without even leaving your house.

With Stadia, you can buy a game and play it immediately, no downloads. Loading times are short, there’s no noticeable input lag, and the image quality makes it feel like some kind of witchcraft.

There’s also one area where it has a huge advantage over a traditional console: storage. Since there are no downloads, you can have as many games as you want on your account. There’s no need to delete anything to make room. Want to take a screenshot? Tap the screenshot button on the controller and it’s sent immediately to the app on your phone. Like I said, it’s about convenience.

Convenience is the reason mobile gaming is worth almost 50% of the global games market – people want fast, accessible experiences with as little fuss as possible. Yes, hardcore fans will always exist, those who prefer traditional console or PC gaming, but it feels like Stadia and services like it are well placed to bridge the gap when the time comes.

Stadia’s issues at the moment are thus: it’s not viable for a good portion of the world where the internet infrastructure can’t handle it, it’s lacking killer exclusives, and the games are too expensive. The first of those issues will be solved by time and money – perhaps Google could even help there. Exclusives are another time issue, but Google has studios tinkering away behind the scenes already, backed by some of the game industry’s best talent. As for prices, I can see these being looked at as well.

The important thing is that Google is learning on the job while carving out its space in the industry. This soft launch, assuming it sticks with it, is just laying the groundwork for that future, establishing it as the go-to platform while waiting for the world to catch up. You can tell it’s a viable strategy, since it made both Microsoft and Sony reevaluate their plans in the streaming space, with Microsoft launching its impressive xCloud service alongside it, and Sony putting more weight behind PlayStation Now. While the fear has waned since the tepid launch, Sony and Microsoft were terrified of Stadia when it was announced.

Right now, Stadia needs a lot of work. It needs to take another look at its pricing structure, and those killer exclusives can’t come soon enough. Until then, it’s just impressive tech where you can play the games you’ve already played, except you don’t really own them and they cost at least twice as much as anywhere else. Google hasn’t exactly put its best foot forward, but that foot is in the door and the door is a portal to the future of video games.

I guess if the market hates it then just force it down its throat... I’m sorry bro but that strategy won’t soooo next!
Bring on those brand new consoles baby we are ready!

Saruhashi

Banned
My problem with the bolded is why does there need to be a "Full on Streaming" console? No way VR will work with streaming, so what do video game companies think will happen with PSVR and PCVR? Are we supposed to just forget the fun we had with VR games?

I am assuming that long term the viability of streaming will only increase so in 10, 20 30 years we might be able to do all of this.

Obviously if there are limits to what we can ever achieve in terms of speeds and volume of data then we will always have hardware.

My thoughts with the big 3 home console companies is that they will probably go for some kind of "hybrid" console at first before we'd ever see just a "streaming only" situation.

mckmas8808

I am assuming that long term the viability of streaming will only increase so in 10, 20 30 years we might be able to do all of this.

Obviously if there are limits to what we can ever achieve in terms of speeds and volume of data then we will always have hardware.

My thoughts with the big 3 home console companies is that they will probably go for some kind of "hybrid" console at first before we'd ever see just a "streaming only" situation.

The main question will always be, "why does there NEED to be a streaming-only option for the consumer"? Gamers aren't asking for hardware to be eliminated. Gaffers are literally still arguing over which PC GPU is best for 4K 60fps games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The main question will always be, "why does there NEED to be a streaming-only option for the consumer"? Gamers aren't asking for hardware to be eliminated. Gaffers are literally still arguing over which PC GPU is best for 4K 60fps games.

More control for the IP holders. No resale. Always Online.

Saruhashi

Banned

Well there is no NEED for streaming only.
I doubt that Sony, MS, Nintendo will ever eagerly move away from hardware given the sheer number of units they sell.

If it DOES take off in a big way though then they might find that they have no choice.

Gamers aren't asking for hardware to be eliminated, no, but if hardware was simply unnecessary in 15 years then I don't think there would be a big demand for it.

Dlacy13g

My 2 cents. In terms the concept and tech most certainly this is the direction gaming is headed. As our data speeds increase this kind of tech will be even more viable (and internet speeds will see a dramatic jump in the coming years pretty much across the board thanks to 5G wireless tech rolling out). I knew this was the case back with Onlive when I demo'd it for my first time in 2010 but I equally knew the road to get there was a long one and the world was just not ready yet. We are much closer now to being able to pull it off but its not universal so it will work great for some and not so much for others. If you think your current favorite console maker does not have an eye on the cloud you are fooling yourself. This is happening and those claiming "well I stop gaming when that does happen" pretty much have 1 generation left of gaming.

Now, that all out of the way... Stadia as it stands is NOT the future. Stadia is flawed in meaningful ways and Phil Harrison rushed this product to market well before it was ready to its detriment. By rushing this to the forefront crippled their public perception and frankly opened the door wide open for the likes of Sony and MS to counter what they have done meaningfully with both content and smaller steps to move the industry in that direction but at a pace consumers will be more comfortable with. Stadia certainly can right the ship but the paid for beta lacking features promised that they offered up as their launch and the lack of any true first party content will continue to hurt Stadia for years to come. Sony and MS will both use this generation to further ease consumers into a cloud based future and by the time we are truly ready for a new generation (5+yrs) the road will be totally paved for that to happen in the cloud.

mckmas8808

More control for the IP holders. No resale. Always Online.

Isn't this what MS tried to do with the Xbox One and gamers absolutely hated it? I thought we gamers spoke with our wallets on this. I refuse to believe these multi-billion dollars companies will be this dense.

My 2 cents. In terms the concept and tech most certainly this is the direction gaming is headed. As our data speeds increase this kind of tech will be even more viable (and internet speeds will see a dramatic jump in the coming years pretty much across the board thanks to 5G wireless tech rolling out). I knew this was the case back with Onlive when I demo'd it for my first time in 2010 but I equally knew the road to get there was a long one and the world was just not ready yet. We are much closer now to being able to pull it off but its not universal so it will work great for some and not so much for others. If you think your current favorite console maker does not have an eye on the cloud you are fooling yourself. This is happening and those claiming "well I stop gaming when that does happen" pretty much have 1 generation left of gaming.

Now, that all out of the way... Stadia as it stands is NOT the future. Stadia is flawed in meaningful ways and Phil Harrison rushed this product to market well before it was ready to its detriment. By rushing this to the forefront crippled their public perception and frankly opened the door wide open for the likes of Sony and MS to counter what they have done meaningfully with both content and smaller steps to move the industry in that direction but at a pace consumers will be more comfortable with. Stadia certainly can right the ship but the paid for beta lacking features promised that they offered up as their launch and the lack of any true first party content will continue to hurt Stadia for years to come. Sony and MS will both use this generation to further ease consumers into a cloud based future and by the time we are truly ready for a new generation (5+yrs) the road will be totally paved for that to happen in the cloud.

What do you mean "the direction gaming is headed" and "ease consumers into a cloud based future"?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Isn't this what MS tried to do with the Xbox One and gamers absolutely hated it? I thought we gamers spoke with our wallets on this. I refuse to believe these multi-billion dollars companies will be this dense.

Considering that MS and Sony have streaming, now enthusiast gamers on here argue which is better.

I want nothing to do with either.

Dlacy13g

What do you mean "the direction gaming is headed" and "ease consumers into a cloud based future"?

First... the Xbox One launch was bungled on many fronts... their digital future messaging was just part of the mess that gamers rejected soundly. It was not one aspect in particular that led to the troubled launch of that console.

As to the direction of gaming... yes gaming is continuing to push forward toward more and more reliance on cloud services. Some more aggressively then others...but all are getting solutions and programs in place. That transition will eventually happen. Just like at one point nobody thought Broadband could be viable for consumers and gaming and dial up modems were the only good solution, and at one point cellular phones were thought to be a luxury only and you still had to have a land line for phone.... yet here we are today with fibre optic and wifi internet and cellphones are more common than land lines. My main point is technology will continue to push on forward and consumers will come with it... .sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. Cloud gaming is on the mind of all these gaming / tech companies...and not just Google, MS and Sony... don't forget the likes of Nvidia and Amazon who both have heavy investments around cloud tech. Look at what all these companies are doing and you will see the common thread is they are looking at how they will integrate cloud into their infrastructure and exist in that future.

mckmas8808

Streaming is the eventual future. Stadia will be long gone before that day arrives.

Future as in what? The only option?

First... the Xbox One launch was bungled on many fronts... their digital future messaging was just part of the mess that gamers rejected soundly. It was not one aspect in particular that led to the troubled launch of that console.

As to the direction of gaming... yes gaming is continuing to push forward toward more and more reliance on cloud services. Some more aggressively then others...but all are getting solutions and programs in place. That transition will eventually happen. Just like at one point nobody thought Broadband could be viable for consumers and gaming and dial up modems were the only good solution, and at one point cellular phones were thought to be a luxury only and you still had to have a land line for phone.... yet here we are today with fibre optic and wifi internet and cellphones are more common than land lines. My main point is technology will continue to push on forward and consumers will come with it... .sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. Cloud gaming is on the mind of all these gaming / tech companies...and not just Google, MS and Sony... don't forget the likes of Nvidia and Amazon who both have heavy investments around cloud tech. Look at what all these companies are doing and you will see the common thread is they are looking at how they will integrate cloud into their infrastructure and exist in that future.

The bolded is just a lie though. I was around in those days. Most people didn't think dial-up modems were the answer, while rejecting broadband in consoles. Plus......why does it sound like you believe hardware in gaming will be "taken" from us gamers? Why will gamers choose to not buy hardware and only want to spend money on cloud gaming?

RScrewed

What is this weird aggressive marketing?

Whether *we* like it or not?

"We" being the consumer?

If the consumer doesn't like it, the consumer won't buy it, and no money will make it to the company launching it. How is it supposed to be the future of anything then?

People will vote with their wallets, and as such, it's exactly up to what the tastes and preferences of the consumer is that will dictate a successful venture. Take your bullshit aggressive opinion and shove it.

Dlacy13g

The bolded is just a lie though. I was around in those days. Most people didn't think dial-up modems were the answer, while rejecting broadband in consoles. Plus......why does it sound like you believe hardware in gaming will be "taken" from us gamers? Why will gamers choose to not buy hardware and only want to spend money on cloud gaming?

Not a lie, I was around for those days and earlier. Modem dial up was the attractive choice because it was the prevalent choice and nobody wanted to embrace the change to broadband early on as it seemed expensive and was not widely available/supported. People like what they are comfortable with more often than not.

Your bolded comment is the same argument we heard at the start of this current generation when it came to software. People in droves shouting how they would never give up physical media. Yet here we are today... Steam dominates PC gaming and digital on consoles is trending in the exact same way PC has with all Digital libraries are becoming the norm now. As more and more hardwareless solutions become available and supported by viable infrastructure (5G, etc) the consumers will adopt. I am not trying to take away anything from you or me...I am merely looking at the road ahead and talking reality. This cloud based solution is clearly the road map ahead for the industry. How long it takes is anybodies guess truthfully... I think 5+ yrs before its something that a consumer can reliably embrace but it could be longer.

mckmas8808

Not a lie, I was around for those days and earlier. Modem dial up was the attractive choice because it was the prevalent choice and nobody wanted to embrace the change to broadband early on as it seemed expensive and was not widely available/supported. People like what they are comfortable with more often than not.

Your bolded comment is the same argument we heard at the start of this current generation when it came to software. People in droves shouting how they would never give up physical media. Yet here we are today... Steam dominates PC gaming and digital on consoles is trending in the exact same way PC has with all Digital libraries are becoming the norm now. As more and more hardwareless solutions become available and supported by viable infrastructure (5G, etc) the consumers will adopt. I am not trying to take away anything from you or me...I am merely looking at the road ahead and talking reality. This cloud based solution is clearly the road map ahead for the industry. How long it takes is anybodies guess truthfully... I think 5+ yrs before its something that a consumer can reliably embrace but it could be longer.

I think you are mixing things up. Downloading your games is completely different from only being able to stream a game. This is just a strawman's argument. And 5+ years is PS6 territory. And guess what people said becaue the PS4 and Xbox One was unveiled? That consoles would be done for....yet here we are.

There's zero upside for gamers to be forced to buying streaming-only console terminals. Yet there are many upsides to having a physical console/PC that can "ALSO" stream games.

Dlacy13g

There's zero upside for gamers to be forced to buying streaming-only console terminals. Yet there are many upsides to having a physical console/PC that can "ALSO" stream games.

We are in total agreement on this. I think possibly you think I am all for an all cloud based future, but really I am not, I just think the industry is moving in that direction and its an inevitable outcome based on much of what we are seeing today.

mckmas8808

We are in total agreement on this. I think possibly you think I am all for an all cloud based future, but really I am not, I just think the industry is moving in that direction and its an inevitable outcome based on much of what we are seeing today.

Oh okay cool. Glad we agree. My only disagreement is that I believe gamers will keep "Streaming Only" consoles from being the only option. You can still buy Blu-ray and DVD movies and also CDs can goodness sakes lol.

A.Romero

Stadia is not the future of gaming. Maybe even streaming isn't.

Websites and magazines are publishing this stuff because it drives traffic. It's a hot topic thanks to people that really believe in the promise made by Google and people that don't want streaming services to become the norm. Console wars are very profitable.

Stadia had a bad start. It's going to take a lot of effort to clean it's messey launch. Specially once Microsoft comes out with their own offering.

Personally I don't care as long as I can still chose how I play my games.

cucuchu

Consoles/PC's will continue to dominate the market for a while and even when streaming becomes more standard for the casual market, serious gamers will likely still stick with Consoles/PC's because we will notice things like an extra 50ms added to input, image blurring, random input timeouts, etc.

We are a long way off from most people having the means to reliably stream 4k/60fps and an even longer way from being able to do so with absolutely no perceivable input latency. I imagine by the time that day arrives, 8k will be the standard. Can you imagine the amount of data it would take to stream a game at 8k? Google made their own bed of shit to lay in when it decided to tell consumers that streaming was the only way and their service would be above everything else.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Do you guys reckon 5G can resolve the latency/data caps issues?

Even so I sincerely hope that streaming doesnt become the only option. Imagine the level of control pubs will have, the MTX will sky rocket even more than now. Ownership goes out the window, can get banned, if internet goes down cant play your games, cant trade/lend games. And the amount of subs one would need to pay for if one wants to access more than one pub's portfolio.

Way too many negatives vs the upsides, like not having wires?! Most things are wireless now that previously werent. Not going out to buy the physical game from a shop? Can get it delivered to your door via post.

If streaming really becomes the only option in the future maybe we may consider going out into the sun a bit more (lost so much time indoors due to games :p) and read a book. Screw you streaming future.

A combination of 5G + TV integrated game streaming apps.

Home console latency
- HDMI out and HDMI in - 20-40ms
- Broadband latency - 10-25ms
Total 30-65ms

5G cloud gaming latency
- 5G latency 5-9ms
Total 5-9ms

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
A combination of 5G + TV integrated game streaming apps.

Home console latency
- HDMI out and HDMI in - 20-40ms
- Broadband latency - 10-25ms
Total 30-65ms

5G cloud gaming latency
- 5G latency 5-9ms
Total 5-9ms

Sounds made up or oversimplification of the issues ... latency is not solved by 5g as it relates to game streaming... number of hops, equipment between the hops, packet size, priority... distance. I'm only 100 miles from Microsoft Azure center yet my average ping (very small packet) takes 50-90ms, and spikes up to 100s of ms very often.... and that just to the front door.

So... basically it doesn't matter what your connection is, and average user is going to be 30-100ms on top of existing latency that you have in a typical video game setup. Some users might be able to get below 30ms but I doubt many.

I can tell the difference in streaming on a local network for host and server.... latency is way less then 20ms.

There is no magic.... yes, there will be latency.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sounds made up or oversimplification of the issues ... latency is not solved by 5g as it relates to game streaming... number of hops, equipment between the hops, packet size, priority... distance. I'm only 100 miles from Microsoft Azure center yet my average ping (very small packet) takes 50-90ms, and spikes up to 100s of ms very often.... and that just to the front door.

So... basically it doesn't matter what your connection is, and average user is going to be 30-100ms on top of existing latency that you have in a typical video game setup. Some users might be able to get below 30ms but I doubt many.

I can tell the difference in streaming on a local network for host and server.... latency is way less then 20ms.

I cut a few corners yes, but this is the tech I referred to:

DanielsM

Banned
I cut a few corners yes, but this is the tech I referred to:

Good luck. The vast majority of users are going to average 40-100+ ms to any of these providers, some lucky ones that are sitting a few hops over might be able to get below 20-30ms for ping packets but that is only to the front door.
-
They've been talking about cold fusion like its right around the corner for nearly 60 years, for the foreseeable future I would expect the vast majority of users to expect 40-100+ms delay, with normal spikes up to 100s of ms.

Anything over 30ms is basically a no go for most MP gamers.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Stadia is not the future of anything. Its about as much the future as gaming as the Nexus google player is the future of set top boxes.

Once again good idea by Google, bad execution. They should of A-included all the games they have in the 9.99 plan, and B-offered free timed demo's to everyone. 1 hour or so of each game. But that ship sailed.

Streaming though will become the future. Maybe in 5 years, maybe 10, but the tech is just too enticing for publishers and gamers. Playing PSNOW made me realize how cool streaming can be. Developers will be more than happy to own all the games players buy.

Dedicated hardware will still be a thing. Lots of people still buy Blu Rays, but there are also a ton of people who have Netflix/Disney+/Amazon Prime.

But its going to take Ninendo/MS or Sony to make it work. Someone with no exceperience in the market is not going to come in and disrupt it. Google showed that. Its clear that with Stadia they have no idea how gamers think.

IMO the real game changer will be when streaming and VR merge. That will be the big ah ha moment IMO. Instead of having to buy an expensive visor, and console/PC and then have all kinds of wires, you could just buy some cheap ass VR googles (could even be cardboard Labo style) and AAA games will stream to your cheap ass visor all without any wires hooked up to anything.

Link1110

Last month. Every PS4 game I buy is physical.

I understand that people are willing to sacrifice content ownership, physical game trading, and the used market for a modicum of convenience. I really enjoy buying used games personally, not looking forward to the all digital future where everything is either purchased brand new or during seasonal sales.
Agree with this so much. To the point where I roll my eyes when people whine about GameStop because they provide an important service having used games so readily available at so many locations., and for the good that provides, in willing to forgive all the other stuff they do.

And didn't this just happen a couple of years ago with Xbox? People revolted and Microsoft backed off. Maybe in ten years this might be a viable niche thing, but for now I don't see it doing any good.

Top Bottom