• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia: Lower your expectations | Engadget

PocoJoe

Banned
Okay, I sat down and did some maths. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

They say you'll need a 25Mib connect to do 1080p at 60fps (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...i59j69i57j0.2507j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

1MB is 8Mib. So, that's basically 3.125MB per second (25 / 8 = 3.125).

3.125MB per second is 187.5MB per minute
187.5MB per minute is 11,250MB per hour.

11GB per hour to stream at 1080p. I'm sorry, but no matter what your connection is like, that's shitloads of data.

Now, my ISP only meters my connection between 8am and 8pm, so I could play this all I want after 8pm at night. At weekends, it's completely unmetered.

But otherwise, my cap is 100GB per month. If I didn't have that unmetered connection I would blow throw my data allowance just under 9 hours. I play games for about 1h per day, so I would be able to pack in just 9 days of gaming a month, and only if I used my connection for nothing but that. And like a lot of other people I also have Netflix, browse YouTube, read the news, etc., etc.

I don't see this thing working unless you have a totally unlimited plan that can sustain 55Mib down, to account for shared usage by other connected systems.

Again, someone correct me if I messed up the maths here.

Well they are marketing the service for modern countries, right?

100/10 connection costs 9.90-19.90€/month, 1000/100 around 20-30€ and no data caps ever.

4G with 100-300mbps download costs 15-30€/month, no data caps.

I dont even know if there are anymore cable/fiber connections with data caps, and only cheapest sub 5e mobine connections have sometimes data caps.

So if someone lives in a 3rd world country with data caps and expensive connections, i guess they are not the target audience

Psychostar

Malta - No data cap. Average speed 100mbps - 250mbps. More expensive than other eu countries but most people have this either way as it's a starting point option.

VAVA Mk2

I’m predicting it will launch with a lot of buzz and paid endorsements from various “tech” youtubers “reviewing” the service and saying it is awesome, etc.

Probably just slowly simmer down after that. We’ve had these services before and they’ve never done well. What makes google any different.

It's Google. They actually have the backbone with networking technology and infrastructure to succeed where others have failed.....then again...Google does have a bad track record of doing a million projects and letting a lot of them fizzle out.

My expectations have never been high. If I'm playing a streaming game, enjoying it, killing that fucking boss I'm having trouble for hours, and then for 1 second I get a command input delay, boom service cancelled.

sdrawkcab

Banned
Again with this.... Damn it's crazy how self centered people with great internet are.
Not everyone has high speed internet, and you don't need to be in a third world country to be in that situation, but it just seems like a lot of people who have access to high speed internet straight up refuse to believe that some people don't have access to it. It feels like a meme at this point.
But wait, it gets worse. There are people who so out of touch with the real world, and so self centred that they think starvation is impossible, that everyone who's poor is poor by a fault of their own and that everyone should be able to pay for healthcare, and there's no excuse to not be able to. I kid you not!

To the topic on hand; I am cautiously optimistic. Streaming will be the general norm, one day. But I don't think that day is coming soon.

sdrawkcab

Banned
So, as someone who doesn't live in US, let me provide some broader perspective (I live in the Caribbean, and can confidently speak for many islands here).

Firstly, we don't do data caps here, unless it's mobile/cellphone data.

But there's a "but" ; the prices for high Internet speeds are, for most people, out of reach. And I'm talking 35MB+. Apart from the net speeds itself, the ping speed isn't particularly great, and there are constant dips in your download speed, depending on the time of month, or if God is angry... In short, net speeds aren't the only factor for people being able to access and actually enjoy the Internet. On a global scale, Stadia is not going to work frustration-free. On a controlled, limited scale it might.

We'll see...

johntown

Banned
I had some hope that it might be better but let's be realistic here. Google is great at searches and IMO not so great at other things.

The only chance they have is the so called elastic compute gaming which we have all heard touted before by other companies.

Unless they can offer something that appeals to gamers in general that they cannot get anywhere else or lower prices for games Stadia is DOA.

I would like to be excited, but in reality, I bought a Steam Link as the idea of streaming from another room to the living room seemed exiting. After persisting with it for a while , I gave up. If we cannot get streaming within a home working, how on earth are Google going to stream all around the world? Sure the tests they do will be fine, but drop millions of users into the equation and we will have problems.

daveonezero

Banned
I'm sure it will work great the first round of tests that Google has hand picked as having great connections and being close to their servers.

Top Bottom