• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia will be “faster and more responsive” than local gaming hardware

Helios

Google Stadia will be faster and more responsive than local gaming systems in “a year or two,” according to VP of engineering Madj Bakar. Thanks to some precog trickery, Google believes its streaming system will be faster than the gaming systems of the near-future, no matter how powerful they may become. But if the system is playing itself, does that really count?

Speaking with Alex Wiltshire in Edge magazine #338, Google’s top streaming engineer claims the company is verging on gaming superiority with its cloud streaming service, Stadia, thanks to the advancements it’s making in modelling and machine learning. It’s even eyeing up the gaming performance crown in just a couple of years.

“Ultimately, we think in a year or two we’ll have games that are running faster and feel more responsive in the cloud than they do locally,” Bakar says to Edge, “regardless of how powerful the local machine is.”

This would be achieved using Google’s homegrown streaming tech, which it’s been teasing ever since Stadia was first announced late last year with Project Stream. The company believes its tech is capable of overcoming the hurdles presented by over-the-web gaming, despite its extensive web of datacentres sitting potentially hundreds of miles away from a user.

Specifically Bakar notes Google’s “negative latency” will act as a workaround for any potential lag between player and server. This term describes a buffer of predicted latency, inherent to a Stadia players setup or connection, in which the Stadia system will run lag mitigation. This can include increasing fps rapidly to reduce latency between player input and display, or even predictive button presses.

Yes, you heard that correctly. Stadia might start predicting what action, button, or movement you’re likely to do next and do it for you – which sounds rather frightening.

So does that count as the fastest system if technically some clever algorithm is playing the game for you? I’m not so sure.

But Google is plenty confident Stadia will delight users, and in my own experience with the tech back at E3 I didn’t notice any actions going awry. However, that was in a Google-approved environment, and we’ll have to wait until Stadia’s launch this November to find out how efficient Stadia’s streaming algorithms are in the real world.

Helios

tenor.png

ethomaz

Banned
Physically impossible.

At least until they create the teleport.

It is ridiculous to make that claim lol... if it was "Google Stradia will be so faster and responsible that you won't tell difference from local" that is a claim you can make.

Last edited:
Lying to sell a product/service is not forbidden. It is a perfectly good strategy.
The problem is the people who believe those lies and when the truth comes to the daylight: "oh it's not a big deal - I can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60 fps anyway".

That's why we see so many blatant lies in marketing.

Last edited:
"Stadia might start predicting what action, button, or movement you’re likely to do next and do it for you – which sounds rather frightening"

give us the money and we will play the game for you.
that sounds like the true nextgen system.
where can I pre-order?
what can I do with all the saved life time?
maybe another job to finance a one more game on Stadia.... to save more life time..... that sorcery...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Was this issue of Edge released yet? Did Alex Wiltshire ask him to clarify this statement? Or press him about it? Alex has written for RPS and PCGamer, so I hope he didn't just let Majd say this and not question him about it.

Razorback

It's possible. But they'de need to have access to your brain to predict what buttons you're about to press before you press them.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I like it that they're putting a lot of effort on the technology. But they're trying to override the most important thing which is software.

Stadia needs a lot of software made specifically for streaming. If all they want is to have games that are available on non-streaming systems, they're not gonna succeed imo. I wanna see must-have first party software from Google.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Physically impossible.

At least until they create the teleport.

It is ridiculous to make that claim lol... if it was "Google Stradia will be so faster and responsible that you won't tell difference from local" that is a claim you can make.

Like LITERALLY physically impossible. Does Google think we are dumb?

scalman

Good if they can make it ill be more then happy means we will have better streams from others too as they will need to compete. So yes do it google.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm incredibly excited to see just how stable Stadia will be. I get fairly frequent low res streaming on youtube with fiber, and eveey other service is pristine.

I have no faith

NickFire

I think the work on predictive button pressing is more troubling than the wishful thinking on the lag. It's bad enough when people use no scope sniper glitches. Now Google sounds like they want to make glitchy wins a system feature.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Obviously this is PR bullshit through and through.

BUT

The way Stadia's servers are designed to scale up means that developers won't get locked into the same "generational" development cycles that we've seen in the past with console gaming. Whether or not developers choose to utilize the extra, continuously improving resources that they are given is another story. Google definitely has a uphill battle ahead if they think that developers will optimize their games for Stadia rather than just having a separate build branch that has parity with traditional console releases - most developers / publishers don't even bother putting additional effort into making their games run better on PC these days.

If in "one or two years" Google is moneyhatting developers to make Stadia exclusive games, then I'll give this statement a "maybe".

Top Bottom