• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia will standardize 1080p/4k/8k, 60fps without hardware! Xbox4 and PS5 in trouble?

J-Rod

I’m pretty skeptical about latency when your every button input has to travel across the country and back. That, and the best 4K streaming quality for just movies/tv where buffering is acceptable is pretty underwhelming with all the compression needed.

These limitations with streaming are nothing new, which is all this appears to be, so I’m not sure what’s supposed to be different this go around unless they have overcome the the speed of light or at least eliminated all resistance for a signal to travel through a medium.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The question is: Is gonna work like they're saying it will.

If it does. I'm afraid Microsoft, and specially Sony, will have a hard time. Of course, they have to have the games, but I suspect it won't be hard for Google.

Nintendo is the one that has least to worry about in my opinion. Google is really zeroing in on PS and Xbox with this. Microsoft has more of a chance of hitting back, because they're a software company, and they are mildly service oriented. Sony will have to continue their business of doing everything by hardware locally in some capcity or focus, and that will diminish their ability to counter this move by Google.

It's not in the bag, but I'm getting a really convincing feeling from this. It's a disruption of the base consoles. And while it might not work 100% well on day one, I think it eventually might. It's just a matter of how serious Google is. And I have a feeling they're quite serious..

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
I’m pretty skeptical about latency when your every button input has to travel across the country and back. That, and the best 4K streaming quality for just movies/tv where buffering is acceptable is pretty underwhelming with all the compression needed.

These limitations with streaming are nothing new, which is all this appears to be, so I’m not sure what’s supposed to be different this go around unless they have overcome the the speed of light or at least eliminated all resistance for a signal to travel through a medium.

This is the problem. Streamed 4k is garbage. A 1080p bluray puts it to shame. We're nowhere near where we need to be in terms of bandwidth/latency for this to replace conventional console/PC gaming.

Will it work okay in some situations for some games? Sure. That's as far as it goes, for now.

Barakov

Gold Member
Playing locally will always be superior whether it's from a disc/cartridge or a digtial download. That being said there's some amazing potential here shown in the stadia. Also, given that Google is a mega corporation they're going to keep at it to reduce the input lag. I think how good the stadia will be for you is how is just how good you internet is. Also the stadia is pretty much a non-starter if you have a data cap or hate input lag.

Lel.

Nintendo or Sony however, can't really compete. With third-party games being the biggest sellers and games like Apex and Fortnite on the rise, the full access on all your devices and the on-demand infrastructure for games, not needing high-end hardware might I add, really does make buying a console seem foolish which is why people laughing at Microsofts Xcloud are no in for a rude awakening.

I used to think like that too, but honestly that's getting enamored with the flashy new thing and just ignoring history. Nintendo has existed since forever and own the most valuable IPs in the industry by far and Sony came out of transistor radios and betamax to a rock solid product that has completely dominated the industry since its inception. It's possible either or both could get fucked in the ass, but it's far from a foregone conclusion.

No. What is promised and what is delivered are two very different things.

This so called Stradia will not hit mainstream.

Id say it is exactly meant for mainstream, and by that I mean people who don't usually by a console/gaming PC. People on console/PC won't like the input lag.

PhoenixTank

Probably an okay alternative for those in cities and without data caps. Bandwidth and latency are going to be the limiting factors.
Don't see the point in downsampling from 8K if it gets passed through the x264 "turd filter" first in order to get to you.

juliotendo

This will be another interesting idea from Google that will either eventually lose steam and become irrelevant or be shelved due to lack of interest and support.

The branding and name doesn’t seem to stick. No exclusives to this platform on par with PlayStation, Nintendo, or XBOX and probably unlikely never will be.

What developer will take a chance on this platform and release an exclusive game on an unproven new platform at the stake of ignoring wide distribution and recognition of other platforms already well established? Very few — Google would have to pay a very handsome price and even if then may not be worth it.

I see streaming with regards to gaming as a nice secondary option — but not a primary one.

I think if Google released a physical box for home use with nice hardware that allowed downloads AND streaming it would be easier to market and perhaps be more intriguing. It could be bundled with the controller and perhaps also run some form of Android OS with other entertainment capabilities.

Cool concept but I have a hard time seeing this become successful.

Virex

Banned
oh fuck off with these threads. It's like you're trying to stir trouble with these god damned threads of yours.

Last edited:
This will take off, if what they planned pans out there will be lots of salty tears.

Anaconda will be fine cause that's their blueprint plan aswell.

Vbrasa

Good thing google fails to commit to like anything nowadays, it'll probably be good for 6 months then everyone will regret buying it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Actually 3d0 would have crushed Nintendo and Sega had it not been 3 bazillion dollars by today's standards. It's the equevent of $1500 adjusting for inflation.
How many xbox one x would have been sold at that price?

I think though some of what's being overlooked here is the initial cost being a $50 controller and no external box.. ....its going to be attractive to casual gamers.
Microsoft sees this too and will fight for this space going forward.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I have a feeling this is gonna be something that... Just exist on the sidelines.
We'll be aware of it, but not really care.

Dthomp

So this guy is the reason the Ignore function is here. I was wondering if I'd hit a time where I really want to use it

J4K

A lot of you right now sound like people who laughed at the iPhone. "Lol who would ever want a phone without buttons."

Gamernyc78

Banned
This will take off, if what they planned pans out there will be lots of salty tears.

Anaconda will be fine cause that's their blueprint plan aswell.

Wishful and hopeful thinking are great. How many tears have you've shed with all of your favorite console failures? 😂😂😂 Must be rivers by now from Milo, to da cloud, to kinect to CD3 lol

Luckily Psnow and Sony been there and are doing tht. Smart of them to acquire OnLive patents, gakai, etc Nd invest and offer options 😁

With that said I'm Interested in Google if the price is right. The price is what stopped me from getting Psnow Initially bcus the streaming was good for me.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
How's Google pixel hanging with the iPhone?
That helps?

FCQppgi.png

The Pixel 3 is the finest Android phone you're likely to see all year, and there's no topping its camera. But the iPhone XS is a more well-rounded device. It sports faster performance, a slightly better display, a more futuristic design, battery life that's a little bit longer and even though it's more expensive, it is available on all carriers.

To Google's credit, though, the Pixel 3 is considerably cheaper, takes a more novel approach to software and AI and its camera wins out most of the time. However, those interested in the best flagship phone money can buy are going to want to check out Apple's latest premium iPhones.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pixel-3-vs-iphone-xs,review-5856.html

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
A lot of you right now sound like people who laughed at the iPhone. "Lol who would ever want a phone without buttons."
tbh m8 .. to better a service you have to at least meet the current standards.
being sceptical about latency is not crazy at all

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I'm not talkin specs wise, I'm sure it's a quality phone. I use an Android phone as my main and iPhone as well, but the "doom and gloom" headlines and fluff marketing articles being written towards the market leaders like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo... while they can't even scratch anything close to the sales (from their in in-house device) contrast from one former example.

Last edited:
- "Up to 4K/60" - no commitments despite mentioning multiple GPU acceleration.
- No mention or figures demonstrating lack of lag. The on stage demo proved that lag existed in their own building.
- The stream I watched of the show kept breaking up.

If latency isn't an issue in a specific game, like a turn-based RPG or Chess, I could see it being acceptable, but most games require inputs to register quickly. From the first-hand accounts I've seen of both XCloud and Stadia they both have insane latency, and that's under controlled conditions. What's it going to be like for people who live in a small town or city where the internet is $100+ a month and still won't support the speeds this will require to play at a decent resolution? Edit: never mind, Spukc just posted exactly what it's going to look like for them.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
- "Up to 4K/60" - no commitments despite mentioning multiple GPU acceleration.
- No mention or figures demonstrating lack of lag. The on stage demo proved that lag existed in their own building.
- The stream I watched of the show kept breaking up.

If latency isn't an issue in a specific game, like a turn-based RPG or Chess, I could see it being acceptable, but most games require inputs to register quickly. From the first-hand accounts I've seen of both XCloud and Stadia they both have insane latency, and that's under controlled conditions. What's it going to be like for people who live in a small town or city where the internet is $100+ a month and still won't support the speeds this will require to play at a decent resolution?

Yeah, but its what they didn't talk about... how you purchase games? and after you buy the games you have no ability to move those games locally like you can with a Windows Virtual Desktop.

You're stuck.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I've spent so much time being angry at all the SJW bullshit in the world, that I completely forgot that this Console Warrior bullshit has been the dumbest thing on the internet for years...

MadAnon

Yeah, but its what they didn't talk about... how you purchase games? and after you buy the games you have no ability to move those games locally like you can with a Windows Virtual Desktop.

You're stuck.
I doubt you will buy games. It will probably be "subscribe and play everything".

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've spent so much time being angry at all the SJW bullshit in the world, that I completely forgot that this Console Warrior bullshit has been the dumbest thing on the internet for years...

Console wars are silly and can provide some entertainment. SJW shit is damaging and only provides misery.

"Sega does what Nintendon't".

Not excited about this announcement at all. Used Nvidia streaming service when my PC broke. Was alright. As soon as I got PC working again I never went back. Streaming for me is a stopgap for when you're travelling etc. Gaming, especially PC gaming, is about full control over an environment, hardware and software. Stadia will be an added extra way to play games, not a replacement for the way we're currently playing games.

trikster40

I’m confused on this whole thing. They say it’s notp hardware, but then brag it’s more powerful than PS4 and XB1 combined? But it’s not hardware, sooooo....

Last edited:
Top Bottom