• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google to unveil secret gaming project (console?) at GDC 2019 in March.

Allandor

Well, I heard whispers that they bought (or will buy) Sega.

Google has the money to do something like that, but absolut no experience in gaming. At least MS produced games years before they decided to create an xbox.
And I think, nobody want's another android based gaming console.

btw, google … I'm out. They are much to aggressive in many things. And they kill old things much faster than e.g. MS or Sony. "You want support for the version we released last year, well install the new one that does not run on your device anymore and we also killed some features in it" … no thx. There is a reason why google is not so successful in other areas. Companies don't want an unreliable partner who creates software that might not do what it did the day before because of an update.

JCK75

If I were paying Netflix Prices for Game streaming and the selection were healthy I'd be all for it, I mean I'm still going to buy games on my other platforms but really would like to just pop in and out of games I'd like to try with no commitment to own them.

So much money being wasted on streaming shit from so many companies. How in the world do they have such expectations considering the generally shit internet infrastructure of the US. This is not SK.

The internet infrastructure of the US is vastly superior to SK, that's a long debunked myth and isn't the problem

The problem is that the companies are basically in agreement to screw consumers and limit access based on how much money they get get from the consumers. Laws and regulations also back them up as well. Innovation is slow due to no real competition outside themselves and the barrier for entry is way too high for someone to enter.

UnusualSether

Neo Member
>google makes console
Cool, I guess it´ll add more choices for consumers, not so sure about giving any comeptiton to PS4 and Xbox. I´m interested!
>streaming service
Ok I´ve lost all interest.

rəddəM

If it's HW focused like PS and XBox I will be very:
tumblr_inline_pfp352ORsk1r4hkfd_250.png

ODESZA

I'd be more interested in an Apple console.
Google doesn't exactly have a great track record with new products.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
likely just going to be a streaming service like PS Now and you can play it on any android device or chrome browser. they'll release their own controller to use with it. they might even release what is essentially a beefed up Chromecast which is just a streaming console.

I'd be more interested in an Apple console.
ew no thanks.

it would be super locked down and cost a fortune.

Last edited:

ODESZA

likely just going to be a streaming service like PS Now and you can play it on any android device or chrome browser. they'll release their own controller to use with it. they might even release what is essentially a beefed up Chromecast which is just a streaming console.

ew no thanks.

it would be super locked down and cost a fortune.

I want neither, but at least Apple would be more competent and wouldn't drop it after 2 years.

DESTROYA

Nobody asked for this and it being a streaming service it’ll be a uphill battle against consoles.
Personally I think it’ll fail hard like most google services and hardware.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm always interested in more gaming platform options for consumers. That being said the only thing interesting me about this rumour is the Sega aspect.
Sega have so many amazing dormant IP and it'd be fun to see them have some money behind them again.

juliotendo

Interesting idea.

But like the majority of Google’s other interesting ideas and projects, they end up being cut away or thrown by the wayside.

Outside their core services and core products, consumers don’t really buy into Google’s offerings.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
That's a terrible logo imo....

That being said unless they deliberately went overboard on the size of those glass display cases....it gives the impression that it will be a fairly big size. Perhaps more than just a streaming device?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Google might have a Wii U issue here. PS5 and XBOX 2 are on the horizon so if they release a system at XBOX X/PS4 Pro levels or slightly higher within probably 18 months they will be outclassed by these 2 giants.

DanielsM

Banned
Google might have a Wii U issue here. PS5 and XBOX 2 are on the horizon so if they release a system at XBOX X/PS4 Pro levels or slightly higher within probably 18 months they will be outclassed by these 2 giants.

My guess, the power of a Chromecast i.e. GameCast or ChromeCast v4.0, or a very small box (thin-client with limited processing power). :) Possibly the ability to play Android mobile games locally. Possibly trying to pay for exclusive content on the streaming front.

"We haven’t heard many specifics about Google’s video game plans, but what we have heard is that it’s a three-pronged approach: 1) Some sort of streaming platform, 2) some sort of hardware, and 3) an attempt to bring game developers under the Google umbrella, whether through aggressive recruiting or even major acquisitions.
"That’s the word from five people who have either been briefed on Google’s plans or heard about them secondhand."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/ga...ig-Google-game-console-rival-coming-this-week

Most of Google's hardware is underpowered type devices, generally speaking.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

those tweets means nothing. simply if we are lucky, we will be getting ports of some Ubisoft and ID games on the console . regardless if its streaming box ( which is a fuck no for me ) or a full console which is highly unlikely due to the lack of first party software or the talent.

I hope I am wrong because competition is always good. but I am almost positive this is a Dud for me and DOA by default if its just a high quality straming service.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Chromecast type device (dongle or small box), controller, and an custom (with sticks/buttons) Android tablet/phone or switch-like streaming games from Google datacenter?

Yeah it's possible it's room for a couple of devices. Streaming box + controller.

DanielsM

Banned
Yeah it's possible it's room for a couple of devices. Streaming box + controller.

Could see release a custom Android tablet/phone like a switch, where it plugs into a tv/monitor... expecting streaming either way. AndroidTV redesign?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I actually hope its some sort of streaming box. My gaming has become a lot more limited lately and I am not in the mood to pick up a PS5/XBOX 2 next gen for 399/499 or whatever. For the few games I play I would rather have some sort of cheap option with streaming. And I do not own a 4k TV so 1080P gaming is perfectly fine for me.

Top Bottom