• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Trends: Stadia doing worse than the Wii during Cyber Monday. Bomba?

gtstYXq.png

qsHJcAZ.png

(Fun fact, if you specify Wii U it's close but Stadia beats it, meaning that these numbers are mostly caused by the original wii.)

So things aren't looking to good for Stadia. It seems the Wii has been doing much better on Google Trends by a significant margin. In fact, the Wii is the better of the two in every state leaving not one for Stadia.

To put things in perspective, if I add Xbox or PS4 to this list, their bar graph is 4x the size of both of theirs combined, showing how low both of these are ranking. So if something as irrelevant as the Wii is beating Stadia on Cyber monday (and apparently this applies for BF as well) this might be a bit concerning for Google. Who am I kidding the things a flop.

The last numbers were posted by someone here at 80k downloads, and I saw online that Destiny 2 was at 25k active users for Stadia so it may be even less than 80k actual owners.

One could say this has been a catastrophic failure, which may be why despite hinting at it, they have given us no official announcements of Stadias performance since it launched.

None of this is looking good for Stadia, the amount of money spend on hype, ads, and conferences is likely gong to cause a sting that reaches the higher ups soon.

cryptoadam

Banned
Why would someone buy Stadia on BF when you can get a cheap ass PS4 or XBOX with a bunch of games, and then buy more games at BF deals.

Get Stadia and pay full price for old games or buy a cheap system with cheap games hmmmmm.

Google shat the bed here, 9.99 should of gotten you a gamepass style offering not 2 shitty free games and 10$ of 2 year old games.

If Google sticks it out I suspect that Stadia will be very different in 12 months time.

Reallink

The most interesting metric to me would be how many returns/refunds they wound up eating. With the 11th hour revelations of upscaled 1080p, wired controller requirement (excepting Chromecast), and questionable line up, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a 30-50% return rate. They evidently moved so few units to begin with (based on playerbase numbers, fewer than 50K in total) and objectively bungled the "launch" (i.e. paid Beta test) so badly, I half expected they'd just refund everyone once the RMA's started rolling in, and tell them to keep their units in exchange for feedback/surveys/beta testing.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Seems like a useless stat to be honest. I'm no fan of Stadia but this seems really inconsequential. Who gives a shit how good a new mostly online-based service is doing on cyber Monday?

Does Stadia even have a discount? It literally just came out like 2 weeks ago.

Why would someone buy Stadia on BF when you can get a cheap ass PS4 or XBOX with a bunch of games, and then buy more games at BF deals.

Get Stadia and pay full price for old games or buy a cheap system with cheap games hmmmmm.

Google shat the bed here, 9.99 should of gotten you a gamepass style offering not 2 shitty free games and 10$ of 2 year old games.

If Google sticks it out I suspect that Stadia will be very different in 12 months time.

Don't you want to support Google and the developers by paying full price for 5 year old games?

The most interesting metric would be how many returns/refunds they wound up eating. With the 11th hour revelations of upscaled 1080p, wired controller requirement (excepting Chromecast), and questionable line up, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a near 50% return rate.

I am seeing a rising issue with peoples Stadia Chromcasts overheating and eventually stop working including the one that was given to me to use. So i'd have to buy one if I want to try out Stadia again, but I think I used it long enough so I'm good.

It's likely some of the 25k destiny players on Stadia will likely return due to the bad experience. I'm curious if Google will ever announced active registered users.

Also the free games your referring to were originally full priced so it's clear that was nothing but an apology and they never intended to give some of these games away.

The only thing the Stadia outsold was Soulja Boys console
That's only because they shut the store down shortly after it was announced. ;)

stranno

Are there still games even coming out for it? I though the Wii was discontinued.
THQ Nordic's Let's Sing 2019 (2018) and Ubisoft's Just Dance 2019 (2018) and 2020 (2019) are the latest Wii games i think.

Rockband games have received some DLCs too.

Last edited:

H4ze

I like my founders edition, fight me

2 weeks out, people are bitching like little kids, pathetic

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
After their Reddit thread (whatever they're called on Reddit?) it was apparent Google was not putting their best effort into this (barely any effort, it seemed), and that it would not be quickly adopted by consumers because of this. Nearly no promised features at launch, having to wait on constrained hardware shipments for a software service, etc. This thing was dead even before arrival. Google is probably the only massive software company that is anything near as bad as this at launching new services. I don't think there's any way Google gets this thing up to par. It will be announced dead in a few years by Google and then retired shortly after.

HeresJohnny

Seems like a useless stat to be honest. I'm no fan of Stadia but this seems really inconsequential. Who gives a shit how good a new mostly online-based service is doing on cyber Monday?

Does Stadia even have a discount? It literally just came out like 2 weeks ago.
Probably because typically new systems sell pretty well in their first few weeks and aren’t found trending with other (dead) systems from two generations ago, especially when Google and Microsoft have been promising that streaming is going to be a critical part of generations moving forward and the timeframe being examined is, oh, from the biggest shopping period of the year?

Last edited:

Banned
I like my founders edition, fight me

2 weeks out, people are bitching like little kids, pathetic

it's a terrible service, with a terrible games lineup, mediocre image quality and the input latency of a bad TV.

games cost up to twice as much as their console and especially PC equivalent...

what am I missing here? there's basically nothing good about it... hell games even run worse than on console in some instances... RDR2, Stadia = 1440p30, Xbox One X = 4k30

as of now, it's awful

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
Why do companies keep pushing technologies that aren't ready?
First mover advantage. When the technologies are ready they are already there and have the brand name.

That being said, Stadia isn’t nearly the first game streaming service and we can track them back easily almost a decade. I remember when I first got fiber in 2010 my ISP offered a game streaming service already, with a USB controller hooked to the STB. Probably very shit. But even SFIV was there.

Stadia is just the first service with this level of backing and advertising.

H4ze

it's a terrible service, with a terrible games lineup, mediocre image quality and the input latency of a bad TV.

games cost up to twice as much as their console and especially PC equivalent...

what am I missing here? there's basically nothing good about it... hell games even run worse than on console in some instances... RDR2, Stadia = 1440p30, Xbox One X = 4k30

as of now, it's awful

yeah, just keep on bashing it, makes sense, just don't buy it if you are not interested in using it.

If it still sucks a year from here on, then we can talk, but two weeks after release I call bullshit on everyone acting like Google threatened to kill their first born.

It's still some impressive tech, people nowadays are so entitled.. ohhh noooo not 4k60fps ultra on day one muuhh this is so bad

Whitecrow

Banned
Not only have stadia negative latency, it also have negative appropiate launch year.

Everything about it is too soon.

I normally don’t get happy over failures, but this is great. I think streaming games is the slippery slope to owning nothing and everything being server based; where games can be delisted and then lost forever. I never want streaming to work personally.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Game streaming really feels like companies telling us what we should want, not providing what we do want, simply because there was a huge amount of money made by Netflix doing something broadly similar (but really fundamentally different).

On the money!

yeah, just keep on bashing it, makes sense, just don't buy it if you are not interested in using it.

If it still sucks a year from here on, then we can talk, but two weeks after release I call bullshit on everyone acting like Google threatened to kill their first born.

It's still some impressive tech, people nowadays are so entitled.. ohhh noooo not 4k60fps ultra on day one muuhh this is so bad
It is not impressive. Google promised 4k and have since back peddled. The issue isn't that it was not working properly,. but that Stadia was never going to work as advertised and Google knew it.

The equivalent of the Kinect TV advert, showing all the things that the Kinect couldn't do. False advertising should rightly be mocked severely.

H4ze

It is not impressive. Google promised 4k and have since back peddled. The issue isn't that it was not working properly,. but that Stadia was never going to work as advertised and Google knew it.

The equivalent of the Kinect TV advert, showing all the things that the Kinect couldn't do. False advertising should rightly be mocked severely.

I agree. But I still think all the hate is not deserved, at least not that much.

It feels a lot like old men are yelling at clouds, hating on a new tech, just because it's new and not perfect in every single way.

And since nobody is forced to use or buy it and new stationary consoles are still coming I just see no reason to bash it every single day

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I agree. But I still think all the hate is not deserved, at least not that much.

It feels a lot like old men are yelling at clouds, hating on a new tech, just because it's new and not perfect in every single way.

And since nobody is forced to use or buy it and new stationary consoles are still coming I just see no reason to bash it every single day

Gotta think long term. What if cloud were to take off and replace traditional consoles? It's not unforeseeable, and if that were to happen, there's almost nothing but downside. It shouldn't be surprising why people are looking for excuses to paint it as a failure.

the marketing was horrendous. Im the only one of my buddies (who all follow gaming rather closely) who has even hears of Stadia.

Seriously, if i never came to Neogaf i would have never even heard of it. So i can see how the Wii gets more attention.

prag16

Banned
It's that Just Dance 2020 crowd. The Wii version is much better than the Stadia version.
Haha, wait, is it true that Just Dance dropped Wii U support before they dropped Wii support? Lol. I mean it may make a degree of sense, but still kind of funny.

lock2k

Banned

C'mon, Schadenfreude is so much fun! :messenger_beaming:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I normally don’t get happy over failures, but this is great. I think streaming games is the slippery slope to owning nothing and everything being server based; where games can be delisted and then lost forever. I never want streaming to work personally.
Me 2. that's the downside. And the problem with Stadia is that there is no real upside.

You don't own the hardware, you don't own the software, AND, it ain't cheaper. It's a total joke!

Last edited:
Haha, wait, is it true that Just Dance dropped Wii U support before they dropped Wii support? Lol. I mean it may make a degree of sense, but still kind of funny.

Technically if they still have Wii support the WiiU is also supported since the entire Wii OS is built into the WiiU and all Wii games work on the WiiU. Kill two birds with one 480p stone.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Probably because typically new systems sell pretty well in their first few weeks and aren’t found trending with other (dead) systems from two generations ago, especially when Google and Microsoft have been promising that streaming is going to be a critical part of generations moving forward and the timeframe being examined is, oh, from the biggest shopping period of the year?
I'm not convinced...I still don't give a fuck...it just doesn't mean anything

Last edited:
Top Bottom