• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google: " We've been flying around the world getting developers on board Stadia for years ahead of GDC"

5c9525f2ffcb271aa90a97f9-1136-909.jpg
When it comes to games, Ubisoft, the makers of Assasin's Creed Odyssey, partnered with Google for Project Stream. Yet, so far, the only official game title we know will be available for sure when Stadia launches sometime in 2019 is Bethesda Softworks's Doom Eternal.

For the service to be a success, Buser knows that a robust offering of games from the industry's leading publishers will be needed.
"We're not talking too much about content just yet," Buser said. "But games are in my blood and I cannot wait to talk to you about it."
Buser did tell us that a big part of his work over the last few years has been flying around the world, meeting with game developers and pitching them to build on Stadia.
On Tuesday, the team also announced an in-house development division know as Stadia Games and Entertainment

Many people were concerned about the lack of devs at GDC and whether Google was even reaching out to devs.

But it seems Google had already been talking to devs years ahead of time. Tons of exclusive partnerships are already in place, just not yet announced. Google promises a strong June lineup so that's likely when we will see the amount of support Google managed to grab for their Stadia platform.

Exciting times ahead!

‘Exclusive’ is a bit weird. Surely they would be better off just getting all the major publishers to release multi format games on it and sell it on the basis that it is a cheaper initial cost than a ps5 or xbox two?

Didn't you just create a threat about the anti-consumer practices of Sony? But GOOGLE is fine? The guys who removed "human rights" from their Chinese search engine? The one that has tracking bugs embedded on just about every website on the planet? The one that scans your Gmail account for buzzwords so that it can target you for advertisements? The one that runs its own free DNS server so that they can track which websites you go to even if you don't use Google? The one that bans you from YouTube for not being progressive enough? The one that fired that guy who wrote a memo criticizing their dogmatic stance on feminism only for them to find out a few years later that they were paying women more than men? THAT Google?

LordRaptor

‘Exclusive’ is a bit weird. Surely they would be better off just getting all the major publishers to release multi format games on it and sell it on the basis that it is a cheaper initial cost than a ps5 or xbox two?

Not all games are going to necessarily be a good fit for a streaming platform; it has certain innate advantages, and certain innate disadvantages.
It would make a lot of sense to have some titles that emphasise the advantages and downplay the disadvantages.

Its why FPS games targetted at consoles have a ton of changes to make them work on consoles; autoaim, lessened verticality to avoid constant LOS adjustments, slower paces gameplay to accomodate lower precision of a thumbstick, reduced weapon counts to accomodate controller button layouts, etc

Last edited:

Three

Really? Because that showcase of games sucked.

Edit: It wasn't E3 so I guess it wasn't too bad of they plan to unveil somewhere else.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
The whole concept is backwards and has been for a decade. Even if we assume that game streaming will catch on (which I highly doubt in mass), the big publishers/developers will just roll their own game streaming platform, sure some might do partnerships but really there probably isn't going to be dominate one - it will be just one of many i.e. fragmentation. Microsoft/Amazon/other VDI providers will just say, look we have a full virtual desktop and you can use this for anything you want, and if later you want to move your games/programs out, you can do that as well.

Basically, they're saying the developer/publisher is their only customer - good luck. There really isn't much reason for developers/publishers to flock to it, in general.

Even if you dig GS/VDIs not sure why anyone would pick Google at this point.

Last edited:

Shifty

It's almost as if these waves of PR were planned around stuff like successful acquisition of partners, public demos that weren't a total joke with latency, and so forth.

Last edited:
Many people were concerned about the lack of devs at GDC and whether Google was even reaching out to devs.

But it seems Google had already been talking to devs years ahead of time. Tons of exclusive partnerships are already in place, just not yet announced. Google promises a strong June lineup so that's likely when we will see the amount of support Google managed to grab for their Stadia platform.

Exciting times ahead!

People weren't concerned, they just aren't interested. They demonstrated no proof they have devs on board and they showed no games, and the demo they showed of AC showed latency issues. The little tech demos they made looked like Steam Greenlight rejects. Until they show something of value I'm not interested in the least. I have more faith in Microsoft's cloud tech at this point, which is saying a lot since I'm not interested in it either.

At least this guy isn't telling everyone he doesn't play games like his boss did.

I don't understand what this even means. This doesn't mean the games will be exclusive, we saw AC:O and Doom Eternal at the show and guess what,

none of those games are exclusive, and will be on everything else. Just because they talked to developers doesn't mean they have exclusives on lock, the article doesn't even say that. I also bet you already knew that you added to the article, and spun this on purpose thinking you could get away with it because the source site locks you out before you can read the full article asking for a subscription.

...Except you can copy the whole article before that page comes up, making the article fully readable in a wordpad document. oops?

Top Bottom