Gordon Ramsay Aims To Open Self-Proclaimed ‘Authentic Asian’ Restaurant and twitter isn't happy

Feb 21, 2018
Gordon Ramsay Aims To Open Self-Proclaimed ‘Authentic Asian’ Restaurant

Gordon Ramsay’s cooking up another restaurant, and some people are not quite sure how he’s going to pull this one off.

The celebrity chef and restaurateur announced earlier this month that he will be opening the restaurant Lucky Cat in London’s Grosvenor Square. The establishment is described as “a brand-new authentic Asian Eating House,” with chef Ben Orpwood, who served as executive chef at Asian restaurant and bar Sexy Fish, behind the menu.

But many people aren’t exactly happy with the chef’s claim to deliver “authentic” Asian cuisine at the restaurant, especially without an Asian chef at the helm.

I like you @GordonRamsay but how are you gonna open an “authentic” asian restaurant without an ASIAN CHEF?
— Vivienne 🍑 (@vivienne_mnd) February 5, 2019

I would love for @GordonRamsay to actually NOT join the ranks of the many white people that are capitalizing on Asian culture without putting equal effort into giving Asians seats at the table of equity. https://t.co/A6zIBkJAes
— Joanna Carpenter (@thejoannac) February 4, 2019

No.

NO.

NO!!!

NOPE!!!https://t.co/XPsLlfBtBA
— AsianSocialNetwork (@AsianSocialNet) February 5, 2019

According to Ramsay’s restaurant group, the restaurant will be a late-night lounge, taking cues from the “the drinking dens of 1930s Tokyo and the Far East.” (And no, that doesn’t sound like it’s exoticizing Asia at all. 😒) The restaurant’s name, the press release claims, keeps with the “authenticity of the concept” and “takes inspiration from Asian culture where the ‘lucky cat’ is a talisman that is believed to attract good luck and fortune.”

The cat the press release refers to is actually called a Maneki-neko and has roots in Japan’s Edo period.

“I can’t wait to open the doors at Lucky Cat and bring a new flavour of Asian food and culture to Mayfair,” Ramsay said in the release. “I can honestly say there will not be a bad seat in the house — every table will have a unique view and each guest will come away having experienced something sensational — whether it be the phenomenal menu, the amazing service or the stunning look and feel.”
Jeez Ramsey is known to be an amazing chef let the man cook some goddamn food without turning this into identity politics. Food is Food and people love to eat foods from all over the world. Food is not democrat or republican, its not left or right, its not racist its F'n food.

Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
When did you change your avatar to the Joker?
Why is your avatar my dad?

lol

Who would have known you needed to be a specific race in order to make certain food.
I feel like it’s similar to saying “you can’t write a book in that language unless you’re native to it,” or silly shit like that.

I think it’s a form of respect to learn a custom, master it, and spread it

Last edited:

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Why is your avatar my dad?

I feel like it’s similar to saying “you can’t write a book in that language unless you’re native to it,” or silly shit like that.

I think it’s a form of respect to learn a custom, master it, and spread it
We really need to torture... I mean educate Taco Bell next. The one closest to me only has White and Black workers. Smh

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
I guess no people of color can learn French cuisine anymore.

Wait, what's that? This rule only applies to white people? Anti-Whiteness? Oh no, there's no such thing as that at all.

What a serious crock of shit "cultural appropriation" is, I mean I can see how it must have started, white girls getting Asian letter tattoos and not knowing what they mean, white guys getting Polynesian tribal tattoos and not even knowing what Polynesian culture is.

In other words when a white person doesn't have a genuine understanding or appreciation of a foreign culture but adopts something from it because it's trendy and they think it makes them look cooler.

Steven Seagal is the ultimate example of that, the dude went from pretending to be Asian, then from New Orleans, to now pretending to be Russian, not because he ever cared about these cultures but because he thought it made him look cooler.

But because we live in an anti-white culture, it didn't take long for it to evolve into meaning a white person should never under any circumstance appreciate or participate in a "person of color" culture, it's got nothing to do with genuineness anymore, which is total racist bullshit.

Nov 5, 2016
I guess no people of color can learn French cuisine anymore.

Wait, what's that? This rule only applies to white people? Anti-Whiteness? Oh no, there's no such thing as that at all.

What a serious crock of shit "cultural appropriation" is, I mean I can see how it must have started, white girls getting Asian letter tattoos and not knowing what they mean, white guys getting Polynesian tribal tattoos and not even knowing what Polynesian culture is.

In other words when a white person doesn't have a genuine understanding or appreciation of a foreign culture but adopts something from it because it's trendy and they think it makes them look cooler.

Steven Seagal is the ultimate example of that, the dude went from pretending to be Asian, then from New Orleans, to now pretending to be Russian, not because he ever cared about these cultures but because he thought it made him look cooler.

But because we live in an anti-white culture, it didn't take long for it to evolve into meaning a white person should never under any circumstance appreciate or participate in a "person of color" culture, it's got nothing to do with genuineness anymore, which is total racist bullshit.
I’m not sure this story is as much about “anti-white culture” as it is Twitter Mob just Twitter Mob’ing.

Jan 3, 2014
If they is claimed to be authentic Asian food and they end up serving up-scaled versions of General Tso's chicken or "fusion" anything then by all means complain, that's a case of a broken promise.

If the restaurant does the research and properly uses appropriate ingredients and techniques, then it shouldn't matter who makes the dish. In fact, some of the best Chinese food I've had was made by some white girl I knew in college because her appreciation and passion for Asian cuisine made her focus on details that native chefs might not care about as much.

I can picture a Yelp review praising everything, but then commenting that because they serve water with ice that it isn't really authentic Asian so 0/10 and Gordon Ramsey is a alt-right enabler.

Feb 21, 2018
And its Gordon Ramsey. Its not like we are talking about some random person who burns toast and can't even boil water. This guy is a world renowned cook. I think he might know a thing or two about cooking and restaurants.

The last thing that matters in food is the color of the cook. Only 2 things matter, taste, and you won't die from eating it.

Dec 3, 2013
Wow, those Twitter folks are a bunch of racists. Who in their right mind associates "authentic" food with a person of the matching race making it? I can't think of a single food critic who would rate it that way.
Of course they are racists and bigots. They are the very thing they claim in others.

Pretty soon they will be asking for separate water fountains again.

Nov 5, 2016
Authentic just mean it follows a real Asian recipe with the proper ingredients. The race of the chef shouldn't matter but we all know that to the SJWs on twitter race is the only thing that matters.
Sounds like a post I read earlier in the thread

I mean I guess people have different ideas about authenticity but when it comes to food I think the authentic quality is the recipe/ingredients.

Who the hands that craft the dish belong to doesn’t really change anything

Has anyone see us in the same room, at the same time?

You’re breaking my heart, @DeepEnigma

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018
He has been a french trained chef for decades and isn't french, nobody seemed to care. Twitter can go fuck itself.
Well thats because the french aren't oppressors and are white.

But apperantly "Asians" are oppressed. Not sure who is oppressing China or Japan right now? China is actually the 2nd most powerful country in the world.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Well thats because the french aren't oppressors and are white.

But apperantly "Asians" are oppressed. Not sure who is oppressing China or Japan right now? China is actually the 2nd most powerful country in the world.
They are oppressed because they are not white.

Funny you mention China. China is the most oppressed country in the world. The have a population of 1.3 BILLION non-white minorities. It is like a country that is 100% minorities.

May 10, 2009
Huffington Post is bad. This is a manufactured story no one (I mean everyone that is normal, or not being paid to have hot takes) has a problem even the twitter comments think this is bs.

May 10, 2009
All of those Tweets have double or single digit likes/retweets. Y'all gotta stop falling for clickbait/manufactured outrage of "Twitter is outraged and here are 4 tweets that prove it!!!!"
Well Huffington Post did write a story about it.

Edit - At least we can all agree Huffington Post is little better than a tabloid and should not be respected.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Minorities: Why the fuck are White people such greedy asses? Share and be open minded. We're all human beings.

White Guy: Hey, I'm experienced in running restaurants and want to open an Asian one.

Minorities: Whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy. Don't fucking cross the line Whitey. Only Asians should run an Asian restaurant. Oly way it can be Asian food is an Asian cook. Get lost.

Feb 21, 2018
Minorities: Why the fuck are White people such greedy asses? Share and be open minded. We're all human beings.

White Guy: Hey, I'm experienced in running restaurants and want to open an Asian one.

Minorities: Whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy. Don't fucking cross the line Whitey. Only Asians should run an Asian restaurant. Oly way it can be Asian food is an Asian cook. Get lost.
Then Asian guy hires 3 mexican's and a pakistanian to work in the restaurant....

Nov 5, 2016

I mean, I get it, but this isn't exactly an international headline scandal.

Everything is OK,

Jul 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I agree that anyone is more than capable of cooking whatever type of cuisine that they wish to excel at, given the proper experience and training. Caucasian people can make excellent Japanese food and Chinese people can make excellent Italian food. The outrage mob here can go F themselves here, as in most other cases.

Putting that aside though, I do have some level of personal bias when I go out to a restaurant to eat. I'd be lying if I said that I feel particularly excited when I walk into a _____________ restaurant, expecting authentic food and I see a lineup of chefs that do not represent that particular culture. I'm happy to be proven wrong and let the product speak for itself, but we should acknowledge the fact that not everyone has the expertise of a Gordon Ramsay, nor would that be a realistic expectation.

I think it's natural for there to be a desire to see a person from a particular culture cook that same type of food in a restaurant environment. In my mind, I attribute it to a greater likelihood that they grew up raised in a traditional household with that same cuisine. Obviously this is not the case 100% of the time, but all stereotypes are true to some degree.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

Nov 5, 2016
I agree that anyone is more than capable of cooking whatever type of cuisine that they wish to excel at, given the proper experience and training. Caucasian people can make excellent Japanese food and Chinese people can make excellent Italian food. The outrage mob here can go F themselves here, as in most other cases.

Putting that aside though, I do have some level of personal bias when I go out to a restaurant to eat. I'd be lying if I said that I feel particularly excited when I walk into a _____________ restaurant, expecting authentic food and I see a lineup of chefs that do not represent that particular culture. I'm happy to be proven wrong and let the product speak for itself, but we should acknowledge the fact that not everyone has the expertise of a Gordon Ramsay, nor would that be a realistic expectation.

I think it's natural for there to be a desire to see a person from a particular culture cook that same type of food in a restaurant environment. In my mind, I attribute it to a greater likelihood that they grew up raised in a traditional household with that same cuisine. Obviously this is not the case 100% of the time, but all stereotypes are true to some degree.

In general, I can see where you are coming from.

But this is Gordon Ramsay. If he is cooking what he claims is authentic food, I believe it.

Oct 26, 2018

My fav Chinese restaurant in the west end of Toronto area closed down. But the cooks were mainly dark skinned guys. I'll assume Indian, but maybe they weren't, but definitely not Chinese.

I'm telling you. For $10 per dish, it was phenomenal. You would get something like this for $9-11.

Oct 24, 2017
Also can we please establish that these are not Asian people complaining but mostly Asian Americans/Europeans who have their head to far into their own asses and believe that they represent Asian Culture. Actual Asian people do not even care one bit about it.

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Also can we please establish that these are not Asian people complaining but mostly Asian Americans/Europeans who have their head to far into their own asses and believe that they represent Asian Culture. Actual Asian people do not even care one bit about it.
You sure?
I bet that virtually everyone complaining are white americans or white europeans.

Oct 24, 2017
You sure?
I bet that virtually everyone complaining are white americans or white europeans.
yeah these too of course. Fact is they are not actually asian people and it is sad to see that these imperialistic assholes even have a voice here. No one sholud listen to these people

old

May 11, 2013
Will I finally be able to ask questions about the menu without a language barrier?

I’d fucking love to be able to eat Asian or Mexican where the server speaks fluent English. I could finally ask what all the foreign words on the menu mean and understand their response.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
I would be proud if I were Asian. He’s one of the best chefs in the world and has a high level of respect for your cuisine. I say this as a chef. But hey it’s 2019, people feel some kinda way. In these type situations I usually ask the Asian people I know, only a few through work and art and see how they feel about it.

Feb 25, 2017
Authentic Asian is an oxymoron and a nonsensical buzzword. What type of food is Asian food? Sushi, Orange chicken, Patai, Korean BBQ? The words ethnicity + "X" itself has no meaning because it does not ascribe the nationality, which defines the cultural and identity of the food's origin. Imagine if somewhere in Asian someone open a restaurant called Authentic Caucasian food. What type of food are they serving? Apple pie, beef wellington, pretzels, escargot, haggis?

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Authentic Asian is an oxymoron and a nonsensical buzzword. What type of food is Asian food? Sushi, Orange chicken, Patai, Korean BBQ? The words ethnicity + "X" itself has no meaning because it does not ascribe the nationality, which defines the cultural and identity of the food's origin. Imagine if somewhere in Asian someone open a restaurant called Authentic Caucasian food. What type of food are they serving? Apple pie, beef wellington, pretzels, escargot, haggis?
Boiled rice

Nov 5, 2016
They do have those in Asia.

They are called McDonalds