Gordon Ramsay Aims To Open Self-Proclaimed ‘Authentic Asian’ Restaurant and twitter isn't happy

Dec 22, 2010
In a lot of Washington DC, Chinese means wings with mambo sauce.
Even when I lived in El Paso with a majority Latino population a lot of Mexican food was Tex-Mex. You had to go digging a bit for the hole-in-the-wall style restaurants to get the real deal. I had a friend who spoke fluent Spanish and we would go to some crazy places. Real dingy and grimey restaurants where not one staff member could speak to me in English. I rarely knew what I was ever ordering from the menu. Always had a good time and the food was JamesFranco.gif

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
Even when I lived in El Paso with a majority Latino population a lot of Mexican food was Tex-Mex. You had to go digging a bit for the hole-in-the-wall style restaurants to get the real deal. I had a friend who spoke fluent Spanish and we would go to some crazy places. Real dingy and grimey restaurants where not one staff member could speak to me in English. I rarely knew what I was ever ordering from the menu. Always had a good time and the food was JamesFranco.gif
One of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had was in Lawton Oklahoma. I was in my Army school there at Ft. Sill and Lawton was kind of exactly what you’d expect in a town around a semi-isolated base. This place had Korean women that were service wives and ex-wives and Native American women just going hard cooking. Maybe it was just because of the bland army food but nothing has matched it since 😐

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2007
Even the tex-mex was probably made by 'authentic' latinos though, so the 'authenticity' or whatever doesn't come from the race of the person cooking it, which is the main point.

Aside from chain fast food and high end fine dining places, if you go to a restaurant in many places in the US you have a better than even chance that your food was prepared by latinos, whether it's Mexican or Italian or Asian or whatever. It's just how the economics of the restaurant business work. It would not improve the world if Mexicans were only allowed to make Mexican food, as if that were anywhere close to a coherent category and someone from Monterrey could claim to make authentic Oaxacan food because there were both 'Mexican' or the same with Sicily vs Lombardy in an Italian context. Historical cuisine are much more niche and regional that the modern nation states.

IMO authenticity is overrated, which is not to say that those little hole in the wall places aren't often the best places to eat, just that it's not always because of authenticity, more often it's because they aren't trying to hit the mass market, so they can have standards and niche tastes that don't scale up all that well.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
If anyone finds themselves in East County of San Diego, there’s a little, slightly hole-in-the-wall Mexican place called Mario’s de La Mesa.

Tell em Jare sent you (not really).

Get the mole enchiladas. Prepare to be fucked comatose (metaphorically).

Last edited:
May 10, 2009
You need to watch Kitchen Nightmares.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Authentic Asian is an oxymoron and a nonsensical buzzword. What type of food is Asian food? Sushi, Orange chicken, Patai, Korean BBQ? The words ethnicity + "X" itself has no meaning because it does not ascribe the nationality, which defines the cultural and identity of the food's origin. Imagine if somewhere in Asian someone open a restaurant called Authentic Caucasian food. What type of food are they serving? Apple pie, beef wellington, pretzels, escargot, haggis?
Caucasian food is actually a thing.

It is really good too. There was a funny story about a year or two ago where a black woman was offended by a Caucasian restaurant in I think Florida. The way back machine finds the tweet, I think it has been memory holed. It was hilarious.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018
As an Italian I have the chance to eat good pizza everytime I want... beside that, one of the best pizza (if not the best) I ever ate was in Greece from a turkish "pizzaiolo". Do I give a damn? Quite the opposite, I'm always happy to see italian dishes being prepared in other countries. Ok, pizza is a bit extreme as an example because it's so widespread that it's no more an "italian" dish, but I don't see why a chinese cook can't prepare a wonderful carbonara or an indian a perfect amatriciana.
Not an american because, well, you can't cook but what I'm saying in my broken english is that food is an universal language and I don't care what an HOW you prepare it (you like sour cream in your carbonara? fine, there's a special place in hell for you but you can do everthing you like)... just do it and enjoy it.
I'm Whitey McWhite and today I'll cook some Cantonese Rice so fuck me, I'm probably like Hitler for some people but what I REALLY hate is when someone tells me that I CAN'T express my opinion because of my race or whathever the fuck.

May 22, 2018
As long as its authentic and he is respectful of the culture that surrounds the food they prepare I don't really care.

I 100% agree that cultural appropriation is a very real issue, but when it comes to food I have to disagree that its a problem. The best Chinese place in the city I live in is prepared by Latin American immigrants. You don't need to be from somewhere specific in order to properly prepare a meal. All it takes is a willingness to learn and a healthy respect for where the dish comes from.

Dec 15, 2011
As long as its authentic and he is respectful of the culture that surrounds the food they prepare I don't really care.

I 100% agree that cultural appropriation is a very real issue, but when it comes to food I have to disagree that its a problem. The best Chinese place in the city I live in is prepared by Latin American immigrants. You don't need to be from somewhere specific in order to properly prepare a meal. All it takes is a willingness to learn and a healthy respect for where the dish comes from.
This reads like one of those 100% authentic anecdotes you read on Twitter:

"My 5 year old girl came up to me the other day and said 'Mommy? Is toxic masculinity oppressing my lived experience - even if I'm only five?'"

Aug 22, 2018
I fucking love Asian food. I moved to Thailand and lived there for 3 years specifically because I fucking love Asian food. I ate so much curry that I didn't have a solid shit for the first few months and then got sufficiently used to it that I couldn't maintain a solid shit without curry. I ate my curries at Thai strength because I fucking love chillis. Was I appropriating their culture? No, I was enjoying it. I don't give a fuck who cooks it, so long as it's delicious. I think we can reasonably assume that if Gordon Ramsey is involved it's gonna be delicious, so where is the fucking problem?

Fuck outrage culture.

Nov 5, 2016
I fucking love Asian food. I moved to Thailand and lived there for 3 years specifically because I fucking love Asian food. I ate so much curry that I didn't have a solid shit for the first few months and then got sufficiently used to it that I couldn't maintain a solid shit without curry. I ate my curries at Thai strength because I fucking love chillis. Was I appropriating their culture? No, I was enjoying it. I don't give a fuck who cooks it, so long as it's delicious. I think we can reasonably assume that if Gordon Ramsey is involved it's gonna be delicious, so where is the fucking problem?

Fuck outrage culture.
Not enough cursing. Must disregard post.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

This seems vaguely relevant.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Canada
I'll be honest I almost never eat at restaurants due to Kitchen Nightmares. If I do I feel like I am playing Russian roulette before the meal arrives. I tend to cultural appropriate cook meals at home from all over the world.

Jun 17, 2004
It's food that count not who makes it. Yes I would prefer if the cook is same nationality - but if the food is good enough, I would visit the place even if the person differs from their nationality.

I mean, how many Chinese restaurant have sushi bar made by a Chinese guy in NYC? Japanese restaurant run by Chinese or Koreans? Very many.

Oct 26, 2018
For all you gaffers who are cooks and chefs, better brush up your culinary skills to match your ethnic background or face the wrath of Twitter users. lol

Last edited:
May 15, 2018
h8 me all you want but asian food isnt that good. i dont like chinese food that much. pho is bland it tasted like sand. ive had pad thai they should have called it bad thai. all korean food is basically bar food thats why you cant get "traditional" korean food anywhere. some japanese is alright. the reason why asian cuisine is held up is because of all the white people who love asian culture and wish they had an asian girlfriend and like anime. you cant tell me im wrong because you all know im right

Nov 5, 2016
h8 me all you want but asian food isnt that good. i dont like chinese food that much. pho is bland it tasted like sand. ive had pad thai they should have called it bad thai. all korean food is basically bar food thats why you cant get "traditional" korean food anywhere. some japanese is alright. the reason why asian cuisine is held up is because of all the white people who love asian culture and wish they had an asian girlfriend and like anime. you cant tell me im wrong because you all know im right
A bowl of Pho tastes like sand?

Are you sure you’re eating Pho?

Is there broth in your bowl?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast

Fuck outrage culture.
I thought this was interesting.

May 9, 2016
i'm in love with this post

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Is this about cultural appropriation? Because I'm not reading this whole thread and the link. I've got a headache something heavy.

Anyway, this is Gordon Ramsey. He isn't taking recipes and saying he invented them and not giving credit where it's due... or taking actual Asian recipes and then calling them "Asian inspired" with his own twist... Which is what cultural appropriation is defined as.

But this ain't that. These folks need to leave him alone.