• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorilla Statue In Playground Removed After Complaints It Was ‘Racially Insensitive’

VAL0R

Banned
Because it was in response to this:

The city's mayor wrote the following in a blog post:
The City of Corsicana has recently made the decision to remove a display in Community Park. It was determined to be potentially racially insensitive. This was brought to our attention by a few citizens. The circumstances were evaluated and determined to be valid. It was not possible to leave the gorilla without the cage due to safety reasons. The statue was top heavy and was caged initially to protect the children. The cage will be left and turned into a climbing feature. The City will look at replacing the display in the future.

The Mayor of the city says he investigated it as being potentially racially insensitive and The circumstances were evaluated and determined to be valid. I didn't assume anything beyond the Mayor who would have more information in the matter determining that the concerns were valid for some reason. I do not know what they are, but the Mayor does and determined the concerns of racial insensitivity to be valid for some reason. It's right there in black and white and not something I invented. The mayor of the city is the one saying the claims were valid.

Right, well he may be determining the "validity" of "racial insensitivity" based on the appearance of the statue alone with no reference to the artist at all. You said, "the painted aspect[...] was possibly racially motivated," which goes beyond that, implying intention of the artist. Some object can be racially insensitive in appearance but only persons can be motivated.

But anyway, I get your point and don't really want to belabor the argument.

Moneal

so they may be aware that the painted aspect of the gorilla after its original erection was possibly racially motivated.
They decided it was insensitive. They didn't say anything about the painting being racially motivated thats you reading into it and as VAL0R put it assuming the worst.

That's not what the mayor of the city determined. That's why you leave those big boy decisions to those with information on the matter.

Its much easier to just remove it and move on that go through an ordeal over a gorilla statue.

That's not what the mayor of the city determined. That's why you leave those big boy decisions to those with information on the matter.

gorilla-walking-away-gif.gif

TheMikado

Banned
Right, well he may be determining the "validity" of "racial insensitivity" based on the appearance of the statue alone with no reference to the artist at all. You said, "the painted aspect[...] was possibly racially motivated," which goes beyond that, implying intention of the artist. Some object can be racially insensitive in appearance but only persons can be motivated.

But anyway, I get your point and don't really want to belabor the argument.
They decided it was insensitive. They didn't say anything about the painting being racially motivated thats you reading into it and as VAL0R put it assuming the worst.

Fair enough, you are right on those points and that is a good distinction.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Banned
Yeah, it does look like the original statue was just a normal, cartoonish smiling gorilla. Then at some point somebody painted red lips over the teeth, poorly. I'd say odds of it being a prank/racially motivated joke are high.

If they repaint it I see no problem with putting it back, but another prankster will probably so the same thing, especially now that this story blew up.

Moneal

Yeah, it does look like the original statue was just a normal, cartoonish smiling gorilla. Then at some point somebody painted red lips over the teeth, poorly. I'd say odds of it being a prank/racially motivated joke are high.

If they repaint it I see no problem with putting it back, but another prankster will probably so the same thing, especially now that this story blew up.

It looks like the whole gorilla was repainted to look more realistic, though as you said poorly. It originally had purple fur, and was redone black.

KevinKeene

Banned
Because I see it mentioned repeatedly: the new version doesn't have red lips. That's his teeth gum. You can't mistake that.

It's an ugly statue, but not racist.

Dunki

In my experience politicians are the LAST one who have actual informations but rather react based on other peoples reactions. So NO you do not have to leave these discussions to politicans without questioning their verdicts

Because I see it mentioned repeatedly: the new version doesn't have red lips. That's his teeth gum. You can't mistake that.

Well you can mistake that, because it still looks like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things look like it because you already have a biased opinion on it. Your biased opinion makes you think that way not the actual statue.

So what. The illusion that it gives off makes it look like blackface, hence the complaints. When the entire mouth was white, it didn't give that illusion.

They wanted to make it more realistic, but it didn't turn out that way, and people noticed it. They can now fix it. Plus fix the eyes too, dear god.

Dunki

So what. The illusion that it gives off makes it look like blackface, hence the complaints. When the entire mouth was white, it didn't give that illusion.

They wanted to make it more realistic, but it didn't turn out that way, and people noticed it. They can now fix it. Plus fix the eyes too, dear god.
OR just maybe spend the money for actual better use like education, healthcare, care for eldery etc. But no. Now you waste money on a fucking childs argument.

MazeHaze

Banned

The red is painted on the gorillas teeth. That's partly why it looks so shitty and creepy.

OR just maybe spend the money for actual better use like education, healthcare, care for eldery etc. But no. Now you waste money on a fucking childs argument.

What are you talking about? This is a playground, and they've repainted this thing multiple times. Spending a couple dollars more to fix the gums isn't a big deal. Make everyone happy for $100 except for the kids who still can't climb on it because the design doesn't support it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunki

What are you talking about? This is a playground, and they've repainted this thing multiple times. Spending a couple dollars more to fix the gums isn't a big deal. Make everyone happy for $100 except for the kids who still can't climb on it because the design doesn't support it.
So what do you think does it cost to remove the statue?
What do you think would it cost to find a place to repaint it. This is not done by some charity act by the mayor.
Now it needs to go back to the spot. MAybe they even replace the complete statue who knows.

And lets us not forget the cost of the "investigation" the time wasted on this bullshit etc.

Try a couple of thousands and just think what you could for example get a school for a couple of thousands? IT is wasted money that could be used for something actual use and meaningful.

TheMikado

Banned
What do you think would it cost to find a place to repaint it. This is not done by some charity act by the mayor.
Now it needs to go back to the spot. MAybe they even replace the complete statue who knows.

And lets us not forget the cost of the "investigation" the time wasted on this bullshit etc.

Try a couple of thousands and just think what you could for example get a school for a couple of thousands? IT is wasted money that could be used for something actual use and meaningful.

First of the investigation wasn't a waste of time. The Mayor did what a mayor is suppose to do. He got 45 complaints on a statue for the same reason and he investigated it.
The mistake was overacting and fully removing the thing, however it may have been the only way to paint it. Who knows.

The point is the statue clearly has unnecessary similarities to something racist which it did not before. Hence the complaints. It wasn't like that to begin with and they question of why paint it like that now were voiced by a number of citizens. The mayor responded to citizen complaints unless you think they should just ignore them.

The full on removal of the statue was dumb but we also do not the circumstances of why or what their investigation unearthed.

Again as stated, visually the repainted face looks unnecessarily similar to other symbols and not like any other gorilla caricatures. Further the claim of the "gums" makes even less sense when its painted directly on the statues teeth.
As we have already covered there could any number of reasons it looks like this but the fact is its just plain terrible and its new paint job has more similarity with offensive symbols then it does with either a cartoon or actual gorilla.

Last edited:

I see this as a community issue, that will be resolved swiftly, and almost everyone will be happy in the end. Yeah they took it down for no reason, but it seems like everything will pan out. They care about their community.

TrainedRage

Banned
So .... Its nothing?

""In response to the backlash, Corsicana city council member Jeff Smith announced on Facebook Wednesday that the city would return the gorilla to the park “as soon as weather permits.”"
Dont know why this is news. Oh wait yeah I do.

TheMikado

Banned
So .... Its nothing?

""In response to the backlash, Corsicana city council member Jeff Smith announcedon Facebook Wednesday that the city would return the gorilla to the park “as soon as weather permits.”"
Dont know why this is news. Oh wait yeah I do.

No, full statement.

In a statement to Fox News on Thursday, the mayor confirmed that the statue would return to the park “with some modification.” The cage that once surrounded the gorilla will be removed and structural support will be added to its arm to keep it from toppling

“… The city has assessed the structural integrity of the gorilla statue and determined with some modification that it can be placed back in the community park for children to play on or around,” Denbow said in a statement. “The city has plans to reinstall the statue as soon as weather permits.”

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Under normal circumstances “thread whining” annoys me. Example: “Who Cares?”

That’s precisely how I feel about this thread, and yet I can’t let it go, because I detect an underlying motive for creating this thread.

In the grand scheme of all that is happening in the world, a thread about an ugly, misplaced, relic of a bygone time gorilla statue is the best you can do? No, it’s not. But this story was strategically-selected by the Daily Wire for clicks among reactionaries concerned with “outrage culture,” “political correctness,” and all that other insidious nomenclature, pretending to feign ignorance concerning the power of symbols.

Do better.

Looking at the first page, that's pretty much all this place is now.

MazeHaze

Banned
But not racist.
I mean only the person who painted it can tell us whether it's intentionally racist or not. It's not just magically not racist because you say it is. It sure looks pretty racist though, which is obviously why people asked for it to be removed.

Is it intentionally racist? There's no way for me to know, just like there's no way for you to know that it's not racist. Even if it's not intentional, they could just paint the teeth white again. Unless you plan on having a candle light vigil to bring back the red gorilla lips to pwn all the triggered libs.

woopWOOP

Seeing that tiny image on the linked site I was like "oh, it's probably because of the bright red lips"

Except those aren't red lips and just the inside of his mouth, so.... uh.... huh.

MazeHaze

Banned
Seeing that tiny image on the linked site I was like "oh, it's probably because of the bright red lips"

Except those aren't red lips and just the inside of his mouth, so.... uh.... huh.

Except the gorilla originally just had big white teeth there, and somebody painted the red "inside of his mouth" over the teeth. So...uh....huh.

woopWOOP

Except the gorilla originally just had big white teeth there, and somebody painted the red "inside of his mouth" over the teeth. So...uh....huh.
I didn't get that from OP's link. That's pretty lame.

I guess they can repaint it to its original state and then put it back, but I figure it's a matter of time until someone paints it red again out of protest or something

hellorichard

Neo Member
People are too sensitive these days. It's been standing there for 19 years and now special snowflakes complain about it for nothing. Utterly ridiculous!

MazeHaze

Banned
I didn't get that from OP's link. That's pretty lame.

I guess they can repaint it to its original state and then put it back, but I figure it's a matter of time until someone paints it red again out of protest or something
Yep, that's my feeling exactly. Paint it back, no problem. But people are already holding candle light vigils for the shitty painted gorilla statue that got removed because it looks like a racist black face add from 100 years ago. I bet 4chan is already setting up greyhound buses full of people to go "stick it to the cucks."

If they would have just got rid of the red lips and the cage they could have probably moved on. Now that it's blown up it'll just turn into a memelord prank.

TheMikado

Banned
People are too sensitive these days. It's been standing there for 19 years and now special snowflakes complain about it for nothing. Utterly ridiculous!

I see you skipped the entirety of this thread. It was recently repainted and looks different then it had previously.

TheMikado

Banned
Yep, that's my feeling exactly. Paint it back, no problem. But people are already holding candle light vigils for the shitty painted gorilla statue that got removed because it looks like a racist black face add from 100 years ago. I bet 4chan is already setting up greyhound buses full of people to go "stick it to the cucks."

If they would have just got rid of the red lips and the cage they could have probably moved on. Now that it's blown up it'll just turn into a memelord prank.

It is coming back in a “modified” state which includes removing the cage.

VAL0R

Banned
People, seriously, gorillas often do have pink inner lips, mouths and cheeks. This is obvious when they bare their teeth as the gorilla in the statue is clearly doing. Can we relax about the pink around the teeth?

article-0-18BA466D000005DC-947_634x487.jpg

TheMikado

Banned
People, seriously, gorillas often do have pink inner lips, mouths and cheeks. This is obvious when they bare their teeth as the gorilla in the statue is clearly doing. Can we relax about the pink around the teeth?

They weren’t paint pink they were painted red and paint on the teeth where there no inside of the mouth on the sculpture to begin with. No matter how you slice it they painted something that doesn’t belong on the statue as it is neither the function nor the color

Edit my monitor is off it’s a darker pink

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Banned

Except the statue originally had an all white toothy grin. The red is painted over the teeth.

It might not have been intentionally racist, but it looks like black face for sure and also looks creepy and bad. I don't think restoring the gorillas teeth to their original white color is a huge deal, and it solves the main issue here.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
I can't say I see a black person when I look at that statue, and yes I'm familiar with black face but I don't see it here. All I see is a dumb looking statue.

For the record, I'm black and I've experienced my fair share of racism, but I just don't see it here. I honestly think that if you see a black person when you see that statue it says more about you than the statue itself, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Banned
I can't say I see a black person when I look at that statue, and yes I'm familiar with black face but I don't see it here. All I see is a dumb looking statue.

For the record, I'm black and I've experienced my fair share of racism, but I just don't see it here. I honestly think that if you see a black person when you see that statue it says more about you than the statue itself, but that's just my opinion.
Black face in general doesn't look anything like black people to me. But you don't see how anyone could possibly think that gorilla looks like blackface? And if they do think it looks like blackface, they're the real racists?

TheMikado

Banned

People aren’t saying it looks like a black person that’s a dumb argument. They are saying it looks like black face. The fact that it looks more like black face than a gorilla face is the issue.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I can see how the artist that did the repaint would want to add a gum line. Problem is they didn't add any shading to the teeth and gums to give it some much needed dimension. Leaving it flat red and white just makes it look like some minstrel shit.

Dacon

Banned
People aren’t saying it looks like a black person that’s a dumb argument. They are saying it looks like black face. The fact that it looks more like black face than a gorilla face is the issue.

In the very same post I acknowledge the black face argument, and perhaps you should take a less patronizing/hostile tone with your posts if you want anyone to approach any argument you make with an open mind.

If you'll look into the many discussions surrounding this issue on various publications on the internet there are indeed people saying that it looks like a black person or is meant to be a representation of black people. So, regardless of whether you think it's a dumb argument or not, it has happened.

MazeHaze

Banned
In the very same post I acknowledge the black face argument, and perhaps you should take a less patronizing/hostile tone with your posts if you want anyone to approach any argument you make with an open mind.

If you'll look into the many discussions surrounding this issue on various publications on the internet there are indeed people saying that it looks like a black person or is meant to be a representation of black people. So, regardless of whether you think it's a dumb argument or not, it has happened.
Sure but here, in this thread, we're saying it looks like black face. Because it does.

Dacon

Banned
Sure but here, in this thread, we're saying it looks like black face. Because it does.

Sure, if you completely discount all of the features that identify it as a gorilla, then yeah. If it had pink lips I might feel more inclined to agree with you, but it's clearly defined as the gum areas on the statue. There are no large goofy pink lips on the statue, and if you look closely the lips are black.

Black face in general doesn't look anything like black people to me. But you don't see how anyone could possibly think that gorilla looks like blackface? And if they do think it looks like blackface, they're the real racists?

You should probably reread my post, because I did not at all say this. I said if the statue looks like a black person to you it says more about your mindset than anything. Not a once did I say it makes you a racist.

Anyone find it interesting that the only people who see the statue and think "That looks like a black person" are the ones who pushed to have it removed?

Almost like they are projecting their prejudices onto everyone else.

Winner!

By doing this you give into the notion that black people look like gorillas which they certainly don’t...

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned

"We"? Speak for yourself.

The red wasn't there before, it's there now,because it's more realistic that way. Of all the parts of an overall ugly statue, that part's the least ugly. It's an improvement.

Whoever sees blackface here wants to see it.

MazeHaze

Banned
"We"? Speak for yourself.

The red wasn't there before, it's there now,because it's more realistic that way. Of all the parts of an overall ugly statue, that part's the least ugly. It's an improvement.

Whoever sees blackface here wants to see it.
Nah man, the red outline looks shitty. It looks like black face straight up. I'm not sitting here trying to find offense, or hoping to justify an agenda. That shitty uneven red paint job on that gorillas teeth makes it look like black face. Whether that was the intent is irrelevant.

Top Bottom