• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got a Mac & want to play Chex®Quest? No problem!

celebi23

So, I've been trying to find the best solution to play the Chex®Quest Trilogy on my Mac. I tried Plain old DOSBox (for the first 2 games) and VMware, CrossOver Games (for CQ3) & finally found better solutions for everything. I thought I'd share it with the other Mac users on the forum :D

CQ_1.png
CQ_2.png

Chex Quest & Chex Quest 2 (original DOS-based versions)

First, download (either Boxer 0.87 or Boxer 0.88) & install Boxer (a pretty nice front-end for DOSBox). When you launch Boxer, for the first time, it will create a folder called "DOS Games" in your home folder: "/Users/[your username]/". Second, download Chex_Quest.zip (includes Chex Quest 1 & 2). Unzip it & place it in the "DOS Games" folder, that was created. Now, just double-click it. A list will pop up of things to launch. To play Chex Quest, click "chex1.bat" & to play Chex Quest 2, click "chex2.bat". Simple as that ;D

Note:
If you want, I've also uploaded the QuickTime versions of the Intro & Ending movies for the first Chex Quest.

Note 2: If you want to get the latest (Alpha) version of Boxer, go here & download the file called boxer_1.0-20100121.1-universal.zip. If you use this newer version, a list won't pop up, when you launch Chex_Quest. Instead, it will list the files, that can be launched, on the bottom of the window. Just click one to launch it (still use the bat files like mentioned earlier).

CQ_3.png

Chex Quest 3
So, a few years back, some former members of Digital Café created the final chapter of the Chex Quest Trilogy. The problem was that, at the time, ZDoom wasn't readily available for Mac. That's changed :D

First, go to http://svn.drdteam.org/zdoom-mac/ & download zdoom-2.4.1.dmg (last official stable release). Mount the DMG & drag the ZDoom application into your Applications folder. Next go to http://www.chucktropolis.com/gamers.htm & download ChexQuest3.zip. Unzip the file & locate "chex3.wad" & copy to "/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/ZDoom" (if a ZDoom folder doesn't exist here, make one). Now, just launch the ZDoom application (that you copied to your Applications folder).

(I actually tried compiling ZDoom myself & kept getting errors. I then found that ZDoom-Mac site :lol)

The following is optional:
Now, download my custom zdoom.icns.zip icon. Unzip it & find the ZDoom application, right (ctrl) click on it & select "Show Package Contents". Click on "Contents" and then "Resources". You should see a file called "zdoom.icns". Now, copy the icon you just download into this "Resources" folder. It'll ask you if you want to replace it, select yes/ok. Now, just launch ZDoom!

Now, Mac users can play the Chex Quest Trilogy natively!

Note: Chex Quest 3 includes Chex Quest 1 & 2. They're pretty much "Special Edition" versions. I included the DOSBox-based method for the first 2 games in case gamers want the "authentic" gaming experience :lol

Enjoy! :D

edit: Whoops, forgot to mention that Chex Quest 3 freezes during E3M4 Provincial Park. The "charlesjacobi" code should get you through that freezing point (pictured below)
screenshot20100413at110.png

I had the same problem with zdoom-2.4.1 & zdoom-r2276. Can't remember if I had this problem with Chex Quest 3 on Windows

edit 2:
Looks like that's the only problem that I encountered. Just finished Chex Quest 3 :D Man, I forgot how awesome this game was ;D

celebi23

civilstrife said:
What the I don't even

Sorry, kinda went overboard a bit. Whoops :lol Wanted to create an end-all topic for playing the Chex®Quest Trilogy on a Mac :D Just want to pass on some knowledge to other Mac users :D

birdman said:
I am more surprised by the fact that there are 3 Chex Quest games.

Yeah, some former Digital Café employees joined chexquest.org & released the game there
http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=1820.0.

Here's a little bit more backstory on the creation of CQ3
http://chexquest.wikia.com/wiki/Chex_Quest_3

I remember when this came out and I was so pissed I couldn't play it on Mac because that's what I had as a kid. I took it over to my cousins and played it on his PC and I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

celebi23

BuddhaRockstar said:
I remember when this came out and I was so pissed I couldn't play it on Mac because that's what I had as a kid. I took it over to my cousins and played it on his PC and I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Same thing happened to me. I had a Performa 5215CD
lc575.jpg
Ended up playing it at my neighbor's house :lol

Earlier today, I was checking out the Chex Quest CD & it looks like you COULD play it on a Classic Mac OS machine. You needed the full version of (Ultimate?) DOOM to do it though :lol

Linkup said:
Unfortunately, I only got to play the first one. Are the sequels any good?

That gun looks so familiar.

Yes. It's good, harmless fun. They're definitely worth playing through at least once. :D Which gun?

Sciz

Linkup said:
Unfortunately, I only got to play the first one. Are the sequels any good?
Yes, very. CQ2 is a good (though not quite great) followup to the first episode, and CQ3 was one of the best games of 2008 for anyone who loved the original.

celebi23

Sciz said:
Yes, very. CQ2 is a good (though not quite great) followup to the first episode, and CQ3 was one of the best games of 2008 for anyone who loved the original.

That pretty much sums it up :lol

Top Bottom