• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got bitten by a puppy. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxidax

I got bit by a dog once and received a 500 dollar tip during Xmas by the owner for keeping my mouth shot. I work in parcel deliveries. You could've profit from it, OP.

UFO

Banned
Okay I just talked to the vet. He said since we currently have no idea of the history of the pup before it was given to us and since the wound bled no matter how small, he still advises me to go to the doctor and get anti tetanus and day 0 shots. He said we should observe the pup for now and if symptoms show, I need to get the next few shots.

Stay safe, take a couple days off work if needed.

Sigh. I don't want to get laughed and humiliated but here's the wound. Sigh. Gaf sometimes makes me believe I'm ignorant to the world. Well at least I'm not that paranoid anymore. I will still go see the vet though since it's just a few steps away.
Fx1kGDQ.jpg

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! Jeezus OP!!! Go to bed!!!!

killatopak

Gold Member
I wouldn't have posted the picture, just take the L

I would still post the pics even if I'm laughed at. It's my health after all. Even if 99 out of the hundred laugh at it, if one gives a proper advice then it's worth it.

Besides, I talked to the vet and if I'm not able to get the history of the puppy then it stops becoming fun and jokes. Prevention is still advised since the disease has 100% fatality rate when it surfaces.

Lender

My dog bit me quite a lot when he was a pup while playing. My arm was full of bite marks and scratches at times. I survived thank God.

UFO

Banned
I would still post the pics even if I'm laughed at. It's my health after all. Even if 99 out of the hundred laugh at it, if one gives a proper advice then it's worth it.

Besides, I talked to the vet and if I'm not able to get the history of the puppy then it stops becoming fun and jokes. Prevention is still advised since the disease has 100% fatality rate when it surfaces.

Getting hit by a cannon ball that fell form the sky also has a 100% fatality rate. Better not go outside.

*Splinter

Sigh. I don't want to get laughed and humiliated but here's the wound. Sigh. Gaf sometimes makes me believe I'm ignorant to the world. Well at least I'm not that paranoid anymore. I will still go see the vet though since it's just a few steps away.
Fx1kGDQ.jpg
Ahhhh... and there's the payoff we were all waiting for

Syriel

Doctor is always going to be super cautious.

On the realistic side, unless that puppy is outside for hours by itself with no supervision there is zero risk.

If your friend has had it for a few weeks, it is very likely not sick. If it has not been bitten by another animal, it doesn't have rabies.

Even if it was infected, if it's not showing symptoms (still in the incubation period), it can't transmit the disease.

From the CDC (because you shouldn't just trust forum comments for health stuff):

The time between the bite and the appearance of symptoms is called the incubation period and it may last for weeks to months. A bite by the animal during the incubation period does not carry a risk of rabies because the virus has not yet made it to the saliva.

Lorcain

My first thought was: Great, the OP just blew his human-alien cover. That's 15 quark cycles potentially wasted because of a puppy, not to mention all of the Zygonians invested in maintaining the cover.

Remember the guidance from the overmind: Blend in and lay low. Don't do anything that would draw unnecessary attention to you.

milkham

for all the mocking, i don't think this is quite at the level of the other "how to be a human" threads in Off Topic.

guek

Banned
Got bitten around 3 hours ago. It's a laceration. I made it bleed while I doused it in running water for 1 minute. Then I poured 70% alcohol on it and now the wound is closed.

The puppy is not mine and our friend's. I think she's 2 weeks old maybe older. I don't know if she has rabies.

I tried not to move my bitten hand much though I feel that the hand is a tiny bit numb.

It's 4am right now and the hospitals open at 8am. We do have a vet neighbor who would probably wake up at 6 so I should be able to at least know if the dog has rabies.

For the meantime though is there anything else I could do?

Uh what's with the condescension in this thread? The danger of rabies is basically zero but dog bites still regularly cause infections and require antibiotics.

sca2511

I'm not joking. There's still a few people awake outside and they're telling me that a young dog is more likely to have rabies and then comes their anecdotal stories and advise me to just go to the doctor. I mean they're not wrong but reading the thread makes it feels like they're exaggerating.

Word of mouth/rumors/myths are very strong influences over there. I see my grandma posting about fruits that cure cancer and have cousins that believe that glasses make your eyes worse.

Check the rabies symptoms

killatopak

Gold Member
Doctor is always going to be super cautious.

On the realistic side, unless that puppy is outside for hours by itself with no supervision there is zero risk.

If your friend has had it for a few weeks, it is very likely not sick. If it has not been bitten by another animal, it doesn't have rabies.

Even if it was infected, if it's not showing symptoms (still in the incubation period), it can't transmit the disease.

From the CDC (because you shouldn't just trust forum comments for health stuff):

Thank you so much for the advise.

I'm currently talking to the owner of the puppy. Since he also got it from someone else, he'll be asking some stuff from that person as well. We need to know if the mother/father of the puppy is vaccinated and if the puppy has been bitten before they gave it to my friend. Als correction on the age of the puppy. It's actually a month old.

I guess for now I'm gonna observe the puppy.

I'm currently talking to the owner of the puppy. Since he also got it from someone else, he'll be asking some stuff from that person as well. We need to know if the mother/father of the puppy is vaccinated and if the puppy has been bitten before they gave it to my friend. Als correction on the age of the puppy. It's actually a month old.

Leave the puppy alone :| Or pet him. Cat bites are way more nasty, you'll be fine with a puppy.

EDIT : Sorry, I also am a vet. You are going to die, probably.

Spyware

Are you confusing weeks with months? First you said it was a 2 week old pup and then talked about sharp teeth "before 5 weeks". Switch it to months and it makes a lot more sense. Puppy teeth are terribly sharp and it's seriously a cause for celebration when they swap those fuckers at around 5 months of age.

I'm used to there being some blood when I play with pups and I just use an antibacterial cream and keep an eye on it. But I live in a rabies free country. If you're worried, just go check it up.

And for everyone else, here's my pup at two weeks:
DRzVrxW.jpg

Edit: One month old?! That poor thing should be with it's mom for at least one more month :(

Observe the puppy for what?

Seriously, the actual risk of an infection from this dog is astronomically low.

Cats on the other, you have to be careful of. I have treated many people with raging abscesses/necrotizing fasciitis from cat bites and scratches.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Uh what's with the condescension in this thread? The danger of rabies is basically zero but dog bites still regularly cause infections and require antibiotics.

Put some ointment on it

We don't live in the Dark Ages

Fx1kGDQ.jpg

Ahhh the money shot.

I'm glad you're still alive op watch out for paper cuts!!

Az

Thats not 2 weeks old
Also, OP's new superpower is probably something lame. Like stud-finder eyes or some shit

killatopak

Gold Member
Are you confusing weeks with months? First you said it was a 2 week old pup and then talked about sharp teeth "before 5 weeks". Switch it to months and it makes a lot more sense. Puppy teeth are terribly sharp and it's seriously a cause for celebration when they swap those fuckers at around 5 months of age.

I'm used to there being some blood when I play with pups and I just use an antibacterial cream and keep an eye on it. But I live in a rabies free country. If you're worried, just go check it up.

And for everyone else, here's my pup at two weeks:
DRzVrxW.jpg
I'm not the owner of the dog that's why I said probably older in my first post. I'm actually feeling less tense now because of the thread but yes, our country is prone to rabies because there are tons of stray cats/dogs around. Just going outside our house and I can already see half a dozen cats lazing around in front of our house and they're not ours.

Fx1kGDQ.jpg
Ffs if you're serious about this thread than it's probably safe to amputate the arm.

Iorv3th

For what? You don't have rabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom