• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights | Review Thread

Larxia

So you're saying it's going to struggle on a 2080Ti?
I don't think it works that way. It's not because a 3090 will "struggle" that a 2080 will struggle more, because from what I've seen it's a problem with the game itself, not the hardware, hence why even a 4090 can have framerate drops with only 30% gpu usage. If high end gpu are only used at low %, older gpu shouldn't struggle more, it should probably be the same, but with a higher gpu usage.

Arsic

Gold Member
So you're saying it's going to struggle on a 2080Ti?

It depends what you want to get out of it visually. You’ll be turning things down for sure to maintain 60fps+. It’ll still be pretty , but the game could use a patch or two so more cards can be used properly.

The console versions are straight diarrhea. Anyone playing this at 30 fps with drops below is a masochist.

Grechy34

It depends what you want to get out of it visually. You’ll be turning things down for sure to maintain 60fps+. It’ll still be pretty , but the game could use a patch or two so more cards can be used properly.

The console versions are straight diarrhea. Anyone playing this at 30 fps with drops below is a masochist.

I have a 1080P monitor so I'd be happy with a consistent 60. Under 30FPS console is unacceptable though.

RavageX

6f9lar7vuhv91.png
Had a hand in Andromeda's story? I want even less to do with this game. IDGAF who is doing what and going to a parade in a crime infested city where my job is to beat down criminals.

Proper placement and relevance, damn.

Power Pro

So any PC gamers have any idea how I might expect this to perform? normally I'm a console gamer, but seeing as how this seems to run subpar, even with a 30fps cap on PS5, thought about looking into the PC version.

This is what I'm rocking:

i7-12700K 3.60 GHz
RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
internal NVME SSD 1tb
RTX 3070 8gb vram
using 1440p/165hz monitor as main 1080p/144hz secondary monitor

Pen and touch Pen support

PeteBull

So any PC gamers have any idea how I might expect this to perform? normally I'm a console gamer, but seeing as how this seems to run subpar, even with a 30fps cap on PS5, thought about looking into the PC version.

i7-12700K 3.60 GHz
internal NVME SSD 1tb
RTX 3070 8gb vram

as u see in the vid, regularry dips into 40s and at times into 30s when driving even in 1080p and raytracing off, really bad implementation of multithreading which creates nasty cpu bottleneck despite huge gpu power headroom (often below 50% gpu usage).
For the same reason even turning on dlss doesnt help, dips into 30s even in 1080p with dlss on balaance too =/

Ofc if u turn rt on it only gets worse and worse(1080p, dlss and rt, dips into 30s even while standing/walking, no enemies on screen;/).

Last edited:

Power Pro

as u see in the vid, regularry dips into 40s and at times into 30s when driving even in 1080p and raytracing off, really bad implementation of multithreading which creates nasty cpu bottleneck despite huge gpu power headroom (often below 50% gpu usage).
For the same reason even turning on dlss doesnt help, dips into 30s even in 1080p with dlss on balaance too =/

Ofc if u turn rt on it only gets worse and worse(1080p, dlss and rt, dips into 30s even while standing/walking, no enemies on screen;/).

Geez, it's like they went out of their way to make this game as subpar as possible from a technical standpoint. I suppose at least it's...30-40s, as opposed to consoles which goes into 20-25 range. I guess you could that still gives the PC version an edge somewhat. If the game is ever patched also, it would hopefully hit a solid 60 on PC at least....maybe.

SJRB

Gold Member
I bet those cops were pissed off when Batgirl came in and beat them up. Probably happens all the time.

It was so weird when I went to Blackgate and there was a riot where inmates were fighting guards and you had to beat down both the inmates and the guards.

These prison guards were literally fighting for their lives and there comes Nightwing who caves their heads in with his swirly batons.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I bought this last knight purely out of curiosity.

Performance is the biggest drawback to this game ( there’s a few ). It never holds 30 fps for long. Constantly sputtering. I haven’t seen a console game perform this bad in a long time.

I could almost look past the odd floaty slow mo seeming fighting if the performance were better.

The “ detective “ match game is just odd. Maybe I haven’t really figured out what to do in those but it seems you just keep matching things together until you find the two that work.🤷‍♂️

The open world is pointless and unnecessary.

It’s very cutscene heavy.

The only pro for me is there is experience points and character building.

GymWolf

Boy some of the thing you read here are just funny...

Characters playing all the same? I mean yeah if you only play the first hour of the game maybe...the game really opens up the more things you unlock.

The drone thing being a time waster? I unlocked 5 of them already and never wasted more than 30 to 90 seconds...maybe i was just lucky but i don't see how you can lose much time scanning 2-3 drones, it is not fun at all but hardly a time waster.

I confirm that wingdude is by far the worse to use, at least for me, the other 3 all have better skills.

The game continue to be a decent time waster for open world action RPG lovers, if you don't like stats, small power increments, crafting, skill trees, making builds etc., Stay the fuck away from it.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

Performance is the biggest drawback to this game ( there’s a few ). It never holds 30 fps for long. Constantly sputtering. I haven’t seen a console game perform this bad in a long time.

I could almost look past the odd floaty slow mo seeming fighting if the performance were better.

The “ detective “ match game is just odd. Maybe I haven’t really figured out what to do in those but it seems you just keep matching things together until you find the two that work.🤷‍♂️

The detective stuff is explained incredibly poorly but is insultingly easy once you get the hang of it. The basic gist of it is that you scan/observe all items and match the right items to get a desired outcome.

So for example you find a crimescene in the streets, you go into first person mode and you look at all the things on the screen. It's typically a body, some blood and stuff like a wallet, bullet casing, keys, that sort of stuff. You need to hit all items or else you can't progress, check the top left corner to see if you've looked at all the required items.

Usually you'd want to know which item could lead you to the criminal. Every item has a little description and the descriptions basically tell you either "this is too general to pointpoint" or "this matches the exact person/location I'm looking for".

And that's it. GG, mission accomplished.

GymWolf

What problem do you have with the detective thing? The game clearly tells you when a clue is useles or if it can be used.

If i have to say something negative is that it is too easy and shallow.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What problem do you have with the detective thing? The game clearly tells you when a clue is useles or if it can be used.

If i have to say something negative is that it is too easy and shallow.

My issue is thatYou just keep matching things until it’s solved. You don’t have to think about anything. I don’t see the “ trick “ there. Like what’s the actual puzzle? Is there a way to hit it the first time?

GymWolf

My issue is thatYou just keep matching things until it’s solved. You don’t have to think about anything. I don’t see the “ trick “ there. Like what’s the actual puzzle? Is there a way to hit it the first time?
Me and the other dude already explained the trick.

The game clearly tells you when you can utilize a clue or if it is connected to other crimes or if you can't use it or it is connected to the victim so it is useless to find the criminals.

9 times out of 10 is super simple.

It can be confusing because you never think that the puzzle could be THAT easy to solve, but it is genuinely super easy.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Me and the other dude already explained the trick.

The game clearly tells you when you can utilize a clue or if it is connected to other crimes or if you can't use it or it is connected to the victim so it is useless to find the criminals.

9 times out of 10 is super simple.

It can be confusing because you never think that the puzzle could be THAT easy to solve, but it is genuinely super easy.
You are missing my point. You don’t need to read any of the clues. They don’t matter. There is no penalty. All you have to do is keep blindly matching items together until it’s solved. Only takes Few secs. It’s pointless. It would take longer to read all item descriptions and “ clues “ than it does just to start matching items together.

There is no substance there. There is no real “ puzzle “ . I was genuinely curious if there was something else besides reading the clues that would play into the “solving”.

That’s a pretty big negative if you ask me.

GymWolf

You are missing my point. You don’t need to read any of the clues. They don’t matter. There is no penalty. All you have to do is keep blindly matching items together until it’s solved. Only takes Few secs. It’s pointless. It would take longer to read all item descriptions and “ clues “ than it does just to start matching items together.

There is no substance there. There is no real “ puzzle “ . I was genuinely curious if there was something else besides reading the clues that would play into the “solving”.

Oh sure, like i said it is super easy and shallow in his entirety, probably an afterthought,

I didn't even know about the no penalty because i never failed one but i'm not even surprised tbh.

SJRB

Gold Member

There's not a lot of substance in the game in general, honestly. The combat can get somewhat interesting [depending on the character I guess] but there really isn't much else on offer here.

There are no Riddler trophies, no riddles, no gadget puzzles, no environmental puzzles. The side activities are the most bland and uninspiring missions you'll see in any videogame: collect items or do a checkpoint race. Wow, how riveting. These kind of missions were trite in 2005 and yet Gotham Knights chose to put the game full of em.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member

i7-12700K 3.60 GHz
internal NVME SSD 1tb
RTX 3070 8gb vram

It should run fine, my system is a tad slower, 109k/6700xt, but it's pretty much locked 60 when fighting, or in the indoor story mission; it can drop to 40 when on the bike, but over time that seems to have gotten a bit smoother too.

Darak

I'm surprisingly having a great time with the game around level 20 even in hard mode. Loot is way more important than it seems, as I had a few lucky drops/rewards which, combined with ability unlocks, made me way stronger until the combat clicked somehow. I still had too many horrible moments to remember, especially around level 10 when every mob felt like a tank, and also shortly after the start of the game before the game gives you access to gear, so I still think the game has very serious balance issues. There is a decent game hidden here, though, so you can end up having fun if you find the goldilocks zone. Missions are decent and have some nice environments.

I wonder if the detective scenes give you worse rewards if you don't get the right answer the first time? I like the concept but I wish the open world ones especially had more substance. As other said, once you figure out the wording, you can choose the right answer without paying attention. They try to add some misleading clues to every scene, but those are pretty ineffective. By the way, they are not entirely pointless, because solving one unlocks the actual crime in your map, but the atrocious UI forces you to go to your HUD to find it. It should have been selected automatically as the next quest. The same thing happens with interrogations.

I have to agree that the game has little substance in general, but I think the same is true of most open world games. Even then, the GaaS roots are certainly visible, as there is some kind of MMO feeling to a lot of the content. Sometimes this feels more like DC Universe than Arkham City.

Ok so probably 5 or so hours in now and really enjoying this. The open world is detailed and fun to navigate, the graphics are great and the story and interactions are engaging.

The combat is the real standout for me. It takes a while to get going but once you have a few options under your belt the combat opens up and you can start to really dish out some sweet justice.

The mission where you are chasing down Mr Freeze and you have to free some scientists with a massive rail gun was epic. Wave after wave of victims come pouring in and just when you think it's over, more spawn in ready to receive. At this stage of the game, the combat just clicked and this setpiece was fucking awesome.

Hope there's a patch to fix some of the jank soon but if not, eh, I'm having a great time.
hPr42ZX.png

Nice screenshot 👍

PeteBull

At least according to metacritic, below 75/100 score is already mixed review, aka yellow, below 50/100 is in red, so negative https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/gotham-knights/critic-reviews

Translating it to how actual gamers look at games, its not ez, coz it highly depends on each person preferences, some1 who doesnt enjoy rancing games will think of forza horizon 5 or gran turismo 7 as a 2/10 games that only have good graphics, some1( like me) who is jrpg fan will love mediocre SO5 who has 58 metacritic reviews score( user score is better 6,4/10, but still pretty bad, but if u take in actual user score, its actually better from many games with much higher critics rating like battlefield 5, with its metacritic reviewers 73 score, but user score 2,3/10 ;)

So imho if users score is really bad- it means actual players who were interested/would normally enjoy that kind of game got dissapointed/angry/annoyed with it, thats when the game has a problem and will ultimatelly affect future of the franchise( previously mentioned niche SO5 jrpg, despite 58 metacritic score from reviewers looks like it sold enough and players aka actual customers liked it enough so we soon getting SO6 :)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why the hell is sexuality such an important element of some video game character?

If modern developers made the games of my generation Ms Pac-Man would be Pac-Man transitioning, Pitfall Harry would be gay, and Rastan would prefer they/them pronouns.

It was nice when we didn’t need to know our videogame character’s sexual preference.

That's really not normal though, this scale is totally broken.
No its not. Its perfectly normal for school etc. If you scored a 5 out of 10 in school, this would be a fail. With only 5's on your list, no diploma and try the semester again.
A 6 is a minimum pass.

The scoring system works. Doesnt matter where you apply it.

If a 10 is perfect, then its perfectly reasonable that a 5 is mediocre at best.

Last edited:

Larxia

No its not. Its perfectly normal for school etc. If you scored a 5 out of 10 in school, this would be a fail. With only 5's on your list, no diploma and try the semester again.
A 6 is a minimum pass.

The scoring system works. Doesnt matter where you apply it.

If a 10 is perfect, then its perfectly reasonable that a 5 is mediocre at best.
I don't get it. 5/10 is half, it's enough to pass, if 6 was obligatory, then it should be 6/12 then, it makes no sense otherwise if it's not balanced.
And regarding video games, scores have been really broken since the ps3/360 era where everyone was blown away by everything and all games started getting at least 8/10 etc. The whole thing would need a reset to be logical again.

I also don't like the scores based on 10, here in France, even in school, it's usually /20, not 10, so it's more precise without having to use halves.

Methos#1975

Boy some of the thing you read here are just funny...

Characters playing all the same? I mean yeah if you only play the first hour of the game maybe...the game really opens up the more things you unlock.

The drone thing being a time waster? I unlocked 5 of them already and never wasted more than 30 to 90 seconds...maybe i was just lucky but i don't see how you can lose much time scanning 2-3 drones, it is not fun at all but hardly a time waster.

I confirm that wingdude is by far the worse to use, at least for me, the other 3 all have better skills.

The game continue to be a decent time waster for open world action RPG lovers, if you don't like stats, small power increments, crafting, skill trees, making builds etc., Stay the fuck away from it.
I literally took about 30 minutes to get all the drones and the trophy lol

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Even with a 4090 I turned off ray tracing cause didn’t like the dips in fps when driving. Game needs work for sure it not even using my gpu that much. Still enjoying it wish had the day of but gotta stop playing and go to work.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

lol this is so weird. 40-50 fps in 1080 with 50% of the GPU just sitting there not doing anything.
40-50 at 1440p with 50% of the GPU un-utilized.
40-50 at 4k with 100% of the GPU finally being utilized. DLSS pushes it above 60 fps.

This is so insane. How did they not see that there is a huge bottleneck here? It should be an easy fix too seeing as how its working fine in 4k. My guess is that at lower resolutions, the CPU is bottlenecking the performance.

lefty1117

Gold Member
It was so weird when I went to Blackgate and there was a riot where inmates were fighting guards and you had to beat down both the inmates and the guards.

These prison guards were literally fighting for their lives and there comes Nightwing who caves their heads in with his swirly batons.

I just snuck around the guards while they were engaged.

GymWolf

I just snuck around the guards while they were engaged.
Same, but there is a part when you can'avoid to fight cops i think.

I advise people to watch some starting tips guide on yt because the game is pretty shitty when it comes to explaining all the stuff inside it.

I think there is a guide inside the game aswell but i'm pretty sure that it ignore some things.

Last edited:

GymWolf

lol this is so weird. 40-50 fps in 1080 with 50% of the GPU just sitting there not doing anything.
40-50 at 1440p with 50% of the GPU un-utilized.
40-50 at 4k with 100% of the GPU finally being utilized. DLSS pushes it above 60 fps.

This is so insane. How did they not see that there is a huge bottleneck here? It should be an easy fix too seeing as how its working fine in 4k. My guess is that at lower resolutions, the CPU is bottlenecking the performance.
On reee they say that if you force directx 11 on the game it perform much better.

Didn't tried because i have no idea of how to do it.

Ok. I'm seriously starting to go tin-foil hat about those low reviews. I don't care to say it, but I like Arkham Knights, but I like Gotham Knights even more.

Ok. I'm seriously starting to go tin-foil hat about those low reviews. I don't care to say it, but I like Arkham Knights, but I like Gotham Knights even more.
well u gotta factor in that there were 3 arkham games before knight. so the formula got a little stale. Gotham Knights has elements of a lot of other things but its a new IP

GymWolf

well u gotta factor in that there were 3 arkham games before knight. so the formula got a little stale. Gotham Knights has elements of a lot of other things but its a new IP
It's the opposite.

People cry because this is not an arkham game like the others even if they always said it was an action rpg with stats, builds, enemies with life bars etc and not a brawler like the other ones.

Edit: sorry i thought you were talking about reviewers.

Last edited:

GymWolf

is there an in-game explanation as to why the streets are so deserted in gotham knights?...
That video is a bit unfair, you maybe have less cars in the streets (on pc there is a setting for this, not sure what setting the video is using) but you have more normal people walking in the streets, i'm pretty sure that past arkham games had no people in the streets except the goons, there is always an ingame expanation like a virus or some shit.

And you unlock the glide with batgrl, but both the grappling hook and the gliding are a bit worse to use, also the jump at the end is way smaller unfortunately.

Redhood has the most fun traversal ability imo.

Arkham knigh city, rain, water and wet effect are all much better.

Last edited:
That video is a bit unfair, you maybe have less cars in the streets (on pc there is a setting for this, not sure what setting the video is using) but you have more normal people walking in the streets, i'm pretty sure that past arkham games had no people in the streets except the goons, there is always an ingame expanation like a virus or some shit.

And you unlock the glide with batgrl, but both the grappling hook and the gliding are a bit worse to use, also the jump at the end is way smaller unfortunately.

Redhood has the most fun traversal ability imo.

Arkham knigh city, rain, water and wet effect are all much better.
virus? arkham city's explanation was that the city had been converted into a huge walled prison. arkham knight's explantion was militarized criminal activity run wild. i'm asking because i didn't know if there was an in-game explanation in gotham knights, or if it just looks that uninhabited...

Last edited:

GymWolf

arkham city's explanation was that arkham city had been converted into a huge prison. arkham knight's explantion was militarized criminal activity run wild. i'm asking because i didn't know if there was an in-game explanation in gotham knights, or if it just looks that uninhabited...
There are people and cars, just not many of them.

Since you always play during night, devs probably thought that a dungerous city like arkham+night so most people sleep was an excuse to go low on pedestrians and cars, or maybe they are just lazy.

Not sure why since they have the models ready so it's just a matter of turning up a slider, maybe it would fuck up with driving the bike since batman can't kill and it would be ugly to see pedestrians that teleport to avoid the bike, or maybe their engine is so shitty that they didn't wanted to make it even worse performance wise.

I didn't tried how the streets are on pc with crowd on max setting, i keep it on low to save performances.

Not sure if that comparison is on pc or console.

Last edited:
There are people and cars, just not many of them.

Since you always play during night, devs probably thought that a dungerous city like arkham+night so most people sleep was an excuse to go low on pedestrians and cars.

Not sure why since they have the models ready so it's just a matter of turning up a slider.

I didn't tried how the streets are on pc with crowd on max setting, i keep it on low to save performances.

Not sure if that comparison is on pc or console.
well, d'uh! i'd never realized that the whole game happens at night. thanks...

if the streets were more populated it wouldn't make sense maybe, with how much crime is going on. Theres something bad happening every 3 blocks lol.

there should be at least one area thats populated imo. Theres enough ppl around its just too consistent. Its the same amount everywhere. Maybe theres a lack of vehicles on the road? But as far as civilians/criminals/cops theres ppl every which way u turn

GymWolf

If you like action rpg\loot games over a more simpler brawler it's not strange at all.

The build variety and 4 characters (but really 3, dudewing is an acrobatic bitch only good for coop) are way more stuff to nerd on compared to batman and his unlockables.

The stealth is more clunky, the movements are a bit less precise, the traversal is a bit worse (but more varied i guess), the performance are shit, the city art design is worse, no riddler stuff and the combat is more clunky and hard to master and way harder to make it look like a perfect dance (but way more varied), but the game does some good things, surely not below a 6, a 7 if you really like batman stuff, i know people these days only get fun by 9-10 games but sometimes even a 6-7 is fine.

From the trailers the combat looked unimpactful but it's plenty impactful with good ragdoll, redhood being a stand out (batgirl coming second), i think arkham series has a more impactful sound design if anything.

Also i like how the crimes are actual crimes and not just beating goons on the streets waiting for you, you actually see them trying to force the safe or the atm or the security van to free someone inside and they take the bags of money and run away with them and if you stay in the scene of crime after you defeat the enemies the police arrive etc. it makes everything more believable and immersive.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned

Must say Gotham Knights looks quite good here visually. AA and image quality looks so good. Asset quality also looks quite high.

Last edited:
Top Bottom